Thread: game crashes on startup

game crashes on startup

Help,

Civ v crashes on startup.

I finally worked through a variety of problems getting Steam working(whoever made that choice should be shot) and went to start Civ V.... brief black screen then the MS crash dialog.

Im trying updating my video drivers now.. though the ones i have aren't that old

tom

Quote Originally Posted by texashopkins View Post
    Help,

Civ v crashes on startup.

I finally worked through a variety of problems getting Steam working(whoever made that choice should be shot) and went to start Civ V.... brief black screen then the MS crash dialog.

Im trying updating my video drivers now.. though the ones i have aren't that old

tom
    If it doesnt help please post here:
    http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/sho...t=87486&page=2

I've got the Steam version of the game as well and upon choosing "Play" I'm prompted with the option to load Dx9 or Dx10 - 11. The Dx9 option results in absolutely nothing happening. The recommended option of using Dx10 - 11 loads a little Civ V window which asks me again which to use. Choosing either of these results in absolutely nothing happening. There are no reports in the Windows log files either.

I'm thinking it may have something to do with the C++ Distributable that was installed (I don't run as Administrator typically.) Does anyone know what or where I could get my hands on a standalone copy of this distributable so that I may reinstall it as Admin without having to re-download / install the whole game again?

Using:
    Win7 x64
    Steam Client

Alright, I found the distributable file in the installation folder and reinstalling it as Admin didn't help. Guess I'll delete the local content and try again.

Running the launcher.exe straight out of the install folder has shined some more light on the situation. Apparently it was Direct X that didn't install correctly as it alerts me that I'm missing files. Reinstalling DX from the Civ V folder now. Will update on it momentarily.

Ok, I found something. I deleted the .db files in the cache folder underneath the My Games\Sid Meier's Civ 5\cache and that seemed to have clear it and now I can play the game!!.
    Thought you guys might want to try that.

EDIT: This only works in windowed mode. Fullscreen still crashes.
    Last edited by patelm4; 09-20-2010 at 11:40 PM.

FIXED: If you have this issue, login as Admin, navigate to Steam/SteamApps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization V/DirectX and run Dxsetup.exe

Quote Originally Posted by patelm4 View Post
    Ok, I found something. I deleted the .db files in the cache folder underneath the My Games\Sid Meier's Civ 5\cache and that seemed to have clear it and now I can play the game!!.
    Thought you guys might want to try that.

EDIT: This only works in windowed mode. Fullscreen still crashes.
    Problems with windowed-vs-fullscreen are usually driver issues. What video card and driver version are you using?

ATI Radeon X1950/ latest ATI drivers. I am trying to run dxsetup now and see if that fixes windowed/full screen issue.

This looks to be a copy of this thread.

Can we move everyone over so that we all get to read updates and possible fixes?

Click here to go to the other thread.

I'm going to close this thread to encourage people to concentrate. PM me if the problems are actually unrelated or if you think there is some other reason to continue it. I'm not trying to be a jerk: I just want to funnel people toward the answers to their problems so they can play the game.