Thread: Diplomacy screen crash

Diplomacy screen crash

Hello Gentlemen,

I've lurked around and saw this problem come a few times, solved a few times, tried those solutions myself ... to no avail.

Problem: Crash when exiting diplomacy (when I press goodbye). Depending on the leader animation detail setting, some leaders don't have audio, some don't have video, some stop speaking after 2 seconds of their first sentence. Some leaders seem to have a small chance of not crashing: Elizabeth, Napoleon, Bismark, Julius, Alexander. All crash, most of the time, during or at the end of the talk. The trading menu works fine for conducting whatever exchange you want to do, but you just can't get out of it alive...

In case it's relevant, here's a list of other side-bugs I get that aren't game-breaking: it sometimes crashes upon loading the game, rarely. On most graphic settings I get checkered white/red tiles but that's gotta be just texture files, no biggie. Finally, I randomly crash at the end of some combat animations but it is not a consistent problem.

I have tried DX9 and DX11, windowed and fullscreen, 1280x1024 and 1024x768, varied leader animation quality from minimal to high, disabled cinematic intro in UserSettings.ini and enabled static screenshots of leaders in GraphicsSettingsDX9.ini. Each change seemed to make the crashing moment vary slightly (for example on minimal graphic settings Montezuma has no animation and crashes when I say goodbye; on high he moves but crashes before finishing his sentence), nothing solved it.

I must say I have slaved through bugs for one game to a culture win with some diplomatic talks and everything but it looks like it was a fortunate accident that I managed to meet all 4 leaders without reloading too much. I went as far as 20 reload/crash in a row, once, before giving up.

Specs:
    NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT (fresh drivers)
    Asus P5QL/EPU motherboard with integrated VIA high def audio
    Intel Core2Duo E8400 @ 3.00GHz (2 of them)
    4GB RAM
    Windows 7 64 bits Home Premium

Thanks!
    Last edited by Beorn; 09-23-2010 at 03:53 AM.

Just wanted to share my solution.

Bug:
    • 9/10 crash chance exiting any diplo screen
    • regular crashing on the map

Solution: I disabled all sound in config.ini.

It now works like a charm. A mute charm which I hope gets patched though

Same system, manually installed new drivers for everything (Win7 omitted some when I did the auto checkup).

New patch, same crashing. Also noteworthy, disabling audio also disables unit promotions. I could play without sounds, but without promotions, this becomes a whole lot less playable.

Regards,
    B
    Last edited by Beorn; 09-27-2010 at 11:30 AM.

Try this

Turn leader animation to LOW or MINIMUM

Animations work just fine with sound turned off. The problem is the audio effects, and disabling all audio from config.ini solves the crashing. However, I have no sounds and I cannot promote units, which is awful when you want to take advantage of the amazing combat system introduced.

For me, the game goes completely black and later crashes when I meet certain leaders--originally the issue was that if I loaded a saved game and clicked on a leader, the game screen would go completely black and crash. (And later new games with those leaders would also crash upon meeting them).

The patch doesn't seem to have actually fixed this.

Same old story, but did you try new drivers and/or disabling audio systems directly from config.ini?

Hopefully this uncertainty period doesn't last 6 months like with civ3 =/

How do I disable audio systems?

I read on Civfanatics Tech Support forums about people having the same issue as me, I downloaded the latest NVIDIA beta driver for my 460 (260.63) and so far, so good. We'll see if there's any other problems....it really does suck that 2K hasn't really gotten around to solving these problems either by email or thread...hopefully the future patch will address that.