Thread: LAN Connection

LAN Connection

When attempting to create a LAN game, I click Host game, which is fine. I fill in the details and click Host Game, which takes me to a screen that is waiting for players. I then open up a slot to wait for a player.

On the second computer the player can then click refresh and see the game. When the player attempt to join they see a screen saying Retrieving Host Information in the title but nothing happens. After a while the Host computer goes back to the create game screen.

Am I doing somthing wrong? Why cant the joining player join the game?

Thanks

Me Too

This happens to us also.
    Never been able to get in.
    Also note I can add slots but only for AI.
    And I can't edit them to to change them to a real person.

What is up with that?

Same thing happens to me

Yup! Same problem here too.

Another similar thread:
    http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87749

So far this has been an utterly poor experience, whilst playing Civ V with a friend over internet play we are fidning that Steam is eating 40% of our CPU, Civ V takes the rest.

E6700 Core2Duo's @2.66GHZ, for a turn based game with no animation and virtually nothing going on that's insane, so we decided to go LAN instead.

Can't get past this "retrieving host information" problem, running via Hamachi, I've successfully managed to play any LAN compatible game over Hamachi with some tweaking, so far everything I've tried with Civ 5 has failed.

Friend can see the game, but gets stuck with the above when tries to connect.

Are you trying to join with the same Steam account (offline mode)?
    You need two accounts (buying the game twice) for a two players lan game.
    Last edited by Francesco82; 09-24-2010 at 05:45 AM.

Two seperate copies of the game, seperate steam accounts, both arrived this morning.

Can connect on a multitude of different games, some steam games.

Quote Originally Posted by chickenhawk View Post
    Two seperate copies of the game, seperate steam accounts, both arrived this morning.

Can connect on a multitude of different games, some steam games.
    Can't help then.
    I know for sure that if you try to join a lan game with the same steam account of the host you get stuck on "Retrieving Host Information"... I was trying to play against myself to test MP (both machines in offline mode) and couldn't join being stuck on that window... then tried with my brother's account and didn't have difficulties to join the match.
    Last edited by Francesco82; 09-24-2010 at 05:55 AM.

Incidientally we can still play Civ IV Beyond the Sword over LAN just fine.

I initially had this same problem. Look at the bottom of the screen on the main menu and confirm both versions are identical. currently at 1.0.0.17.

Unfortunately the game will give you no error message concerning this, it just hangs.

Thanks for the tip Warsong, will have to wait till tomorrow to check that out.

As far as I know both versions were recieved first thing in the morning, were installed at the same time and are fully updated, but I'll confirm the version numbers anyway.

Also played each other over internet play which also makes me doubt the versions are different, but it's worth a look.

I cannot host a local game, when I click host game absolutely nothing happens.

I can get to the screen to configure the game, but when I press "Host Game", nothing. I can click it a hundred times or hold the button or whatever, nothing happens.

No error message or timeout or anything. I can host an Internet game fine, what would cause this?