Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: civ 5 crashing, run time error

-r.rage

Can you go to the Documents > My Games > Civilization V .
    In here can you delete the folder Cache and then try the game again.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech JohnT View Post
    -r.rage

Can you go to the Documents > My Games > Civilization V .
    In here can you delete the folder Cache and then try the game again.
    Cleared the cashe.. still the same error..

Quote Originally Posted by mmok2k8 View Post
    Cleared the cashe.. still the same error..

You never posted what was wrong

Clearing that cache might not be appropriate, without us knowing your issue

Quote Originally Posted by rostik2 View Post
    http://i55.tinypic.com/mcbrtk.jpg
    happend at turn 430, my pc runs game just fine, no lag no graphic problems, i play on huge map with 22 civs (well 5 now, other got took over ) anyway, i saved game right before that turn and i cant even load that game.
    Here is the log of what happend
    - EventData

CivilizationV.exe
    4c9b9294
    GameOverlayRenderer.dll
    4c927f1d
    c0000005
    000198c3
    cf0
    01cb5b96265aa8db
    c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\sid meier's civilization v\CivilizationV.exe
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\GameOverlayRenderer.dll
    5d94e790-c78a-11df-bf59-4061867f8566

started new game got to turn 446 and same crash.
    it happends when i try world domination, once i take over eurasia, africa and move on to north/south america Bam run time error (huge earth map).

I posted same topic on steam forums and i had quiet alot of people with the same problem.

Anyone got any ideas ? I tryed updating my c++ redistribution 2008 and 2010. Lowering all my video seting to low. Updating my video card drivers etc. nothing worked.
    NOT a FIX but i am at around 830 TURNS and keep getting that same RUNTIME error. exactly the same spot..
    The second I conqured a city I would get that error..so instead of attacking a city I retreated to a safe distance and healed my troops.. and worked on the cities and improvemets for 5 turns..
    then went and attacked the cities and the Error did not show up.

NOT a FIX but i am at around 830 TURNS and keep getting that same RUNTIME error. exactly the same spot..
    The second I conqured a city I would get that error..so instead of attacking a city I retreated to a safe distance and healed my troops.. and worked on the cities and improvemets for 5 turns..
    How many total cities do you have, your issue sounds like the "70 city bug" which depending on circumstances, causes a crash, at 60-70 cities

Same problem here with large map, playing as China. It happened earlier in the game, when I was going from turn 569 to 570. I had 13 cities. I sold one of them and I was able to move past the error. Now, I'm trying to build a new city, still my 13th, and I get the same error going from turn 789 to 790.

What's strange is I can build the city somewhere between turn 781 and 788 and I can keep going until I get to a turn that is a factor of 10. Then, crash. It was the same as before. I captured the city around turn 561 with no problem, and as long as I sold it by turn 570, there was no crash.

And if I save at turn 789, that save file gets a runtime error. I have to go back to the autosave at turn 780.
    Last edited by mhallam01; 10-21-2010 at 08:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by QuantumTarantino View Post
    How many total cities do you have, your issue sounds like the "70 city bug" which depending on circumstances, causes a crash, at 60-70 cities
    It is the 70 City issue..keep getting the RUNTIME error and game crashes..
    I do have V 1.0.0.20 running.

WISH they would fix it.. have been a fan of CIV since CIV. 1.0 and have waited for this version to come out for a long time..

The game is UNPLAYABLE especially when it really becomes interesting.. I am around TURN 800+

You never posted what was wrong

Clearing that cache might not be appropriate, without us knowing your issue
    Quantum..
    This thread is related to the RUNTIME ERROR. Correct? I am having the same error.
    I have a BRAND NEW INSTALL of WIN7 Ultimate x32. (i upgraded my system so I have a clean system).. had to upgrade and took CIV not working to be a good sign.
    4 GB RAM.
    GForce 9800 GT.
    Running CIV. 1.0.0.20

still getting that 70 City bug....

You are very active here.. thank you for trying to help..

I'm having exactly the same problem. I can't get past Turn 637, and some of the savegames seem to be corrupt (the ones I can no longer load): I had a list of savegames at about 1500kb, and the corrupt ones were less than 500kb...

This is really an annoying issue, and I hope someone at 2k-games is doing something about this, otherwise it's 45€ down the drain!

edit: ow, before I forget: I'm running on W7 64bit, Quad-core processor, 6gigs of RAM, and GTS 250 (1gig) graphic card

another edit: thanks to an update I just got through Steam, the problem seems to be fixed!! Fingers crossed!
    Last edited by GreatGooglyMoogly; 10-21-2010 at 10:58 PM.

What the hell?

Quote Originally Posted by GreatGooglyMoogly View Post
    I'm having exactly the same problem. I can't get past Turn 637, and some of the savegames seem to be corrupt (the ones I can no longer load): I had a list of savegames at about 1500kb, and the corrupt ones were less than 500kb...

This is really an annoying issue, and I hope someone at 2k-games is doing something about this, otherwise it's 45€ down the drain!

edit: ow, before I forget: I'm running on W7 64bit, Quad-core processor, 6gigs of RAM, and GTS 250 (1gig) graphic card

another edit: thanks to an update I just got through Steam, the problem seems to be fixed!! Fingers crossed!

Funny You should say that....I didnt have any issue whatsoever.....until the steam update when I just logged in.....now im getting the runtime error....AFTER THE FIX!!. It looks like the fix has caused it to happen for me! Confused? Yes I am!

Another Instance

Same problem here.

I'm also skeptical this is related to the "70 city bug", as I was playing without a single crash for hours last night as Russia on Huge map. I was up to Turn 350 before stopping and after patching this morning, all attempts to load save games result in the Runtime error many people have already posted up.

I've tried;

- loading a save from Turn 335 from Steam Cloud
    - loading a save from Turn 350 from Steam Cloud
    - loading a save from Turn 336 from my Local PC

I was at first excited to see the patch this morning, but I'm having Deja Vu *all over again* from when Microprose/Firaxis would constantly break save games upon patching.

This has been a problem since Civ 1, just sad to see it persists. And here I thought this was the year we make contact..

As the update "seems" to have broke the game for me Im going to try and remove game from steam and then re install but turn off auto update before hand.

If this works the update wont be installed and I will be able to see if I can access my saves (which ive backed up) without runtime errors.., as my game worked perfectly before todays update.

EDIT: Didnt work as steam reset it to autoupdate on reinstall before I could do anything about it
    Last edited by Garethnr; 10-22-2010 at 01:20 AM.

I would recommend not using any pre-patch saves. You don't know when the save could have started getting corrupted, even if it wasn't displaying issues at that time. Try a fresh game and see if you get the same issue.

civilization V

Si blocca in continuazione appena superate le 30 città. che disastro!

It's a continued crash after buid almost 30 cities. what a mess!

OH MY GOD turn 204, Germany on real world start mod (i forget exact name) my militiary machine just started rolling, and now my save games won't load! They were all on the cloud (because mod saves won't save anywhere but cloud for me...). THIS SUCKS!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by woodtsunami View Post
    OH MY GOD turn 204, Germany on real world start mod (i forget exact name) my militiary machine just started rolling, and now my save games won't load! They were all on the cloud (because mod saves won't save anywhere but cloud for me...). THIS SUCKS!!!!!!!!
    My game still crashes on the same turn as it did before.

In fact, the 2 games I've played of CIV 5, they both crash at a certain spot. That's 2 for 2 failure, thus, the game is broken, even after october 22nd patch.

What kinda crap is this. I've put in over 10 hours in each one of those games, and just when the game is about to get interesting, with modern armor, nukes and bombers, BAM, "CIV 5 has stopped working."

Pathetic.

woodtsunami if you have deluxe release it may be linked to this.
    http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95986

Vorazan

If you wished to can you try this.

Just to be safe can you verify the integrity of the game in steam. To do this
    From the Library section, right-click on Civilization V and select Properties from the menu.
    Select the Local files tab and click the Verify integrity of game cache... button.
    Steam will verify the game's files - this process may take several minutes.
    Once the process is completed, the Check Window will automatically exit.

Delete the Cache folder found in Documents > My Games > Civilization V
    Can you now try the either save game you are having issues with.

Vorazan

If you wished to can you try this.

From the Library section, right-click on Civilization V and select Properties from the menu.
    Select the Local files tab and click the Verify integrity of game cache... button.
    Steam will verify the game's files - this process may take several minutes.
    Once the process is completed, the Check Window will automatically exit.

Delete the Cache folder found in Documents > My Games > Civilization V
    Can you now try the either save game you are having issues with.
    Dear John. Deleting cache folder and validating did not fix the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Vorazan View Post
    My game still crashes on the same turn as it did before.

In fact, the 2 games I've played of CIV 5, they both crash at a certain spot. That's 2 for 2 failure, thus, the game is broken, even after october 22nd patch.

What kinda crap is this. I've put in over 10 hours in each one of those games, and just when the game is about to get interesting, with modern armor, nukes and bombers, BAM, "CIV 5 has stopped working."

Pathetic.
    2KGreg did indicate that the patch would not correct corrupt saves, have you tried a NEW game to this pont?

2KGreg did indicate that the patch would not correct corrupt saves, have you tried a NEW game to this pont?
    Have I started another 600 turn game just as the patch came out? No. Im pissed of that my 2 games that I looked forward to continuing playing are corrupted beyond saving.

I wonder if I go back 20 turns, if that will fix it.

It may, depends on where the corrupttion occured.

I love the Civ-Series since Civilization 1. Whatever came, whenever came, i was and still pleased buying and playing the game. The patch is great, some missing developments right in good time.

I am playing the game only in monumental speed, thatswhy i didnt know there is a Runtime Error in savegames. BUT today this Runtime Error occured at me. And i dont have 70+ towns. I have app. 20 towns, As i could see from the coast, Rome has lot of towns (app. 40).

I cant load the game anymore.

My question is: The savegame is a game running since i bought it, before the patch came. Can the Runtime Error be because of this? Would the RUntime Error occur again, when i start a new fresh game?
    It was very disappointing getting this error, as i invested lot of time. But it doesnt matter, when this RUntime Error wont happen again when i start a new game. Civ 5 is still the best one of the series.

Thank you very much for the answers and sorry for my english.

Best regards

I've been having a save/load issue since release where Civ "stops working" when I try to load a game. This doesn't ever happen until I'm well into a game, at least a couple hundred turns, and I can usually complete a quick game. Unfortunately I prefer the longer ones.
    Usually when this starts happening to a game it makes it impossible to quick-load, and the only way to load the game is to quit to windows and re-start Civ. Then it'll (very slowly) load the game and only freeze about half the time. Since the patch, I've been getting the Runtime error messages, which are new for me.
    In general, the game has been running very slowly and bogs down quite a lot more than it should on a system with 16GB of RAM and which can run Crysis, Fallout NV, Farcry 2, and the like on max settings while keeping my firefox tabs open and loading movies in the background with nary a hiccup.
    I have two games in which I'm doing rather well on difficulties 6 and 7, and I would really hate to lose those. As for solutions I've tried...

I have cleared the cache folder, but that hasn't done much, if anything, either.
    All of my drivers have been updated, including some which came out the other day.
    Extensive hard- and soft-ware interrogation with the aid of professional tech support to find any problems there (I did have a bad stick of RAM, so I'm down to 12GB until Monday).
    When none of this helped, and then a new problem cropped up (the Runtime error) I came to the forums. Found Tech JohnT's suggestion:

From the Library section, right-click on Civilization V and select Properties from the menu...
    I tried this, and it said it found one file and replaced it. Just for s&g I did it again, and I got the same message. So it seems that the file it replaced was replaced with a file that needed to be replaced...I think you see where I'm going.
    This leaves me with this validation error as my only remaining string to pursue, I believe. Anyone have any suggestions?
    Monk
    Last edited by MasterofYoda; 10-23-2010 at 12:41 PM.

Steam Cloud save file from 899 turn Huge, Marathon map (also local various saves from 868-889 same issue)
    Update Civ5 from 1.0.0.20 to 1.0.0.62
    Restart
    Clean install of NVidia Forceware 260.89 (from 260.63 and 258.96 which both worked fine)
    Restart

I now get the crash that everyone else was talking about. Loading in DX10/11 mode works fine until I load the game, then the screen goes and stays black. Disabling the Steam Community option is not the fix for this issue.

This has been a very productive beta.

Solution: http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95986
    Last edited by JaguarXJ6; 10-24-2010 at 08:36 AM.

I get this error on EVERY save that has mods. No matter what. I did a little test where I started a mod-less game and saved it at turn 0 and reloaded it - and it worked fine. I can start a new game with mods no problem. No matter where I save it, if I try to load later it fails with this error. I guess later I'll try to see if I can do some things to try and figure out what the problem is. This started randomly, a couple weeks after I bought the game (about 138 hours played). Can't say I can pinpoint it to being due to a patch as I can't really remember when it started to happen.

When loading a game with Mods, I find that if I 'load up' the mods first by going to the Mods section of the main menu and clicking on single player, then load game, the game will usually load without that problem. It still takes forever.

Everything was fine for me before the patch. Now, post-patch, I'm getting this runtime crash on the same turn (211), every time. I only have 10 cities, so that's not it--maybe the AI has a a lot of cities, though.

Standard pangea. New macbook pro.

Try this.....

Exception Code:c0000005 Resolved

For the longest time I struggled with this problem, the game wouldn't start.

Despite some suggestions otherwise, there was nothing wrong with my system or setup.

The problem stemmed from Steam's screen-manager, their ads. After disabling these in my profile the problem was solved.

I am necromancing this because I'm getting the same error when trying to load a saved mod game. The Mod is SPQR Rise of Rome.

Quote Originally Posted by Kruelgor View Post
    I am necromancing this because I'm getting the same error when trying to load a saved mod game. The Mod is SPQR Rise of Rome.

Sadly, Modded games, are not troubleshootable.

Unhappy

so, has anyone come up with something conclusive about this crashing? I'm still having a lot of problems, almost all my games are crashing at different turns.

also, I always check with Steam the game cache integrity, and it always points that there is one file missing after my game crashes. it than retrieves the file and the game works normally, until a new crash.

so, yeah. lame. any suggestions?

Yes, first suggestion, is lets get a new thread started, so your issue doesnt get lost in the shuffle.

In your new thread, please start by posting your DXDIAG report, and ill help any way i can

I think I might have an answer for why some of our games are crashing, though this doesn't cover all in-game crashes.

For those of us that are trying to load save games and getting crashes, it might be due to whatever mods you might be using. If you have a save game with a mod and you try to load it in the regular single player menu it'll crash. But, if you go into the mod menu and do single player through there, it'll work just fine.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by haru View Post
    I'm having the same problem, I made it to turn 497. I did notice in Steam when I select "verify integrity of game cache" it kept telling me that their was a problem with a file, it would download it but the game would still crash. When I checked again it gave me the same thing and re-downloaded the corrupted / effed file.
    i dont know why u are sure this file is corrupted. but the same thing happens to me too! i uninstall and reinstall the game via steam and this endless loop (check game cache, missing one file, downloading, installing, repeat) keeps going...

in my case the game crashes between turns 170-200, with just four cities in my civilizations. (not loading saved game, in a new game)
    no problem in my hardware (AMD phenom II X4, radeon HD 6850) i have more than 50 games that work perfect.
    windows 7 (x64) and drivers updated. dxdiag gives no errors.

my event viewer log:

Log Name: Application
    Source: Application Error
    Date: 15/6/2012 03:55:59
    Event ID: 1000
    Task Category: (100)
    Level: Error
    Keywords: Classic
    User: N/A
    Computer: XXXXXX

Description:
    Faulting application name: CivilizationV_DX11.exe, version: 1.0.1.674, time stamp: 0x4fc504cb
    Faulting module name: CivilizationV_DX11.exe, version: 1.0.1.674, time stamp: 0x4fc504cb
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x00031176
    Faulting process id: 0xb70
    Faulting application start time: 0x01cd4a6d17cfa1c0
    Faulting application path: F:\Program Files extra\steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization V\CivilizationV_DX11.exe
    Faulting module path: F:\Program Files extra\steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization V\CivilizationV_DX11.exe
    Report Id: de7c787d-b684-11e1-9da4-00235437d264

PS: in game folder there is a (minidumb?) file called "civilizationv_dx11_310700_crash_2012_6_15T0_55_54 C0.mdmp"
    IF this forum had an option to attach files, i guess it would be usefull to the support team to find out where the issue is...

PS2: I LOVE this game!

PS3: sorry for my bad english...

PS4: heeelp pleaseeee!

Do you have any .mdmp files appearing in your Civ V program folder? These can be helpful to the engineers with debugging a problem like this.

Quote Originally Posted by bigden View Post
    Do you have any .mdmp files appearing in your Civ V program folder? These can be helpful to the engineers with debugging a problem like this.
    (had several yesterday but i reinstalled the game and i lost them), now i do have 1 .mdmp file but how to attach it here?? this forum does not have a "file attach" option. i just hope someone of the support will read my post and gives me an email address that i can send it...

Quote Originally Posted by thief_035 View Post
    i just hope someone of the support will read my post and gives me an email address that i can send it...
    is anyone from the support team read this thread? anyone wants to analyze the minidumb files and debug the game?

does anyone cares to support me?

Quote Originally Posted by thief_035 View Post
    is anyone from the support team read this thread? anyone wants to analyze the minidumb files and debug the game?

does anyone cares to support me?
    I just sent you a PM. Thanks!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast