Thread: 1 city challenge

1 city challenge

So I'm doing a 1 city game with the 1 city challenge active, going for a cultural victory, as alexander, befriending a bunch of city states.

Anyway, Athens is located at a small peninsula directly south of the enormous japanese empire. Luckily for me, there were two militaristic city states right north of me along with some mountains forming a perfect wall keeping Athens completely safe.

But at a moment of weakness my defenses were overwhelmed by huge waves of samurai and one of the city states were conquered. Okay, no problem, it took a while but I pushed them back with cannons and recaptured the city state's capital to liberate it.

But I can't. Because I ☺☺☺☺ING razed it automatically.

So instead of getting the option of razing or liberating it, it just razes it automatically.

That's retarded.

The amount of stupid annoyances like this that he game has is really starting to get on my nerves. In this same game I constructed The Great Wall, which should reduce enemy units' movement speed inside my borders. EXCEPT IT DOESN'T

A samurai north of my capital just walked across two hexes and killed my general that was SUPPOSED to be safe thanks to the wall.

Gaaah, screw this. I even used 3 great artists to build a road of cultural influence to the old gap in my defenses, where I planned to have my great general put down his super fortress, but NOW not only did the general die because apparently the wall doesn't do anything except look cool, but my culture road is pointless because there's a huge gap in my defenses to the west so the japanese can just stroll past my garrisoned friendy territory troops in the mountains and walk straight for Athens.

I feel your pain. There are so many WTF moments when I play this game.

A lot of things don't make sense, are annoying or are just plain dumb. Some are just errors that will hopefully be fixed later, but some are just stupid game design like ALL units suffering 50% penalty from being short 1 strategic resource. If I have 5 iron, then I should have 5 fully functioning and 1 crippled longswordsmen and not 6 crippled longswordsmen.

Heh, I hear you... I was so excited for civ 5, I really want to like this game, but I think I might have to put it away until some major patches are done or a major mod like rise of mankind for civ 4 is made for it.

Lol nothing like a challenge huh.... especially with unexpected curve balls

Quote Originally Posted by LittleBro View Post
    Lol nothing like a challenge huh.... especially with unexpected curve balls
    There's a difference between surprises that make sense and delight you at how brilliant they are and surprises that just make you scratch your head and have to remind yourself to remember next time.

Civ games should be filled with more of the former rather than the latter.
    Last edited by twiceagain; 09-28-2010 at 08:25 AM.

1.) You can't raze city states. Either that's one hell of a bug or I'm not reading something right.

2.) Great Wall is working fine for me.

3.) Auto saves bro.

One city challenge has always auto-razed any city that you take to preserve the one-city-challenge. This mechanic was just carried over from Civ 4. It may not seem as right, especially with the city states and the ability to liberate formerly destroyed civilizations, but nothing has changed.

Simple error. Guess next time you need to protect the city state then. But I hear ya. You should have both choices because either gives up the the control of the city and you would remain at 1. Probably a simple bug that can be patched. (At least I am glad I know this now as I was going to start a 1 city challenge soon).

Quote Originally Posted by MoistPancake View Post
    1.) You can't raze city states. Either that's one hell of a bug or I'm not reading something right.
    You aren't supposed to be able to raze city states or other civ's capital cities. But you can. With one-city mode, any city you capture is razed instantly. So when you capture a city state's city, it is razed. If you capture another civ's original capital, it is razed too. It's not a glitch because you are only allowed to control one city. This leaves one choice, to raze the capital anyway.

I wonder what happens if you enable one-city challenge and no city razing?

Quote Originally Posted by GetAMac View Post
    You aren't supposed to be able to raze city states or other civ's capital cities. But you can. With one-city mode, any city you capture is razed instantly. So when you capture a city state's city, it is razed. If you capture another civ's original capital, it is razed too. It's not a glitch because you are only allowed to control one city. This leaves one choice, to raze the capital anyway.
    However, if you are playing the one-city challenge, and you capture a City-State, you should be given the option to either raze it or liberate it, or even puppet it. It shouldn't just go splat because "oh, you already own a city" and can't own another. One-city challenge mode should simply disable Settlers and not allow you to keep cities you capture.

one city challenge merely disables settlers to be trained

all other aspects are the same

They should make it so when you do capture city-state, it gives you the normal options for capturing a city:
    Annex
    Puppet
    Raze
    Liberate

However, you cannot annex or puppet the city because you are only allowed to control one city. So now it's just Raze and Liberate. But, you cannot raze an original capital, so when you captured an already taken city-state, it is already liberated. The problem with this though is that if you declared war on that city-state, then it should be razed automatically.