For the last 10 years I've been too busy to play many games so I'm quite out of touch with the gaming world. I bought Civ5 and was introduced to Steam (I'm currently downloading atm).
I have read multiple threads about people who hate steam so ferociously. I would genuinely like to understand what the root cause of peoples view towards steam is.
From what I can gather so far Steam is:
* A DRM framework / appstore / multiplayer community hub created by valve.
* Is designed to replace GameSpy (community hub)
* Is designed to replace 'self rolled' DRM solutions by each game studio
People do not like steam primarily because
* They need to connect to the internet to run the game (I think)
People like steam primarily because
* You can install a game on any machine by downloading it from your steam account
From what I can gather, if someone does not like Steam it is because it is intrusive to their system (the DRM part of it).
My question is what about Steam do you hate and specifically why?