Thread: 64 City Limit?

64 City Limit?

I have been playing a game as Egypt (DX9)
    Huge Map Size
    Continents
    12 Players
    24 City States
    Medium Graphics Settings

Current date is about 1888 AD, I have discovered that there is a limit to the number of cities I can have. I first noticed it when I attempted to settle a new town and it crashed. I attempted to rename a city thinking that I was possibly out of city name however it still crashed.

I decided I would continue on in the game and just burn computer cities, however when I took another city again the game crashed. I then decided to see what would happen if I razed a city I had taken and then attempt to take another. Once the city was razed I discovered I could take another city however once I took it if I attempted to take another one the game again would crash.

I counted the number of cities I control as 63, when I attempt to take a 64th the game crashes.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan85 View Post
    I have been playing a game as Egypt (DX9)
    Huge Map Size
    Continents
    12 Players
    24 City States
    Medium Graphics Settings

Current date is about 1888 AD, I have discovered that there is a limit to the number of cities I can have. I first noticed it when I attempted to settle a new town and it crashed. I attempted to rename a city thinking that I was possibly out of city name however it still crashed.

I decided I would continue on in the game and just burn computer cities, however when I took another city again the game crashed. I then decided to see what would happen if I razed a city I had taken and then attempt to take another. Once the city was razed I discovered I could take another city however once I took it if I attempted to take another one the game again would crash.

I counted the number of cities I control as 63, when I attempt to take a 64th the game crashes.

alot of ppl have that problem.....think i have the same cant get past my 696th turn w\o it crashin on me i took 2 more citys on that turn. i really really hope this is just a freakin bug n not the way it was ment to be released.

if it is im playin on a huge earth map with 2 more civs left in the americains i am finding this game to be more of a hassel then any dang game iv played. seems like theres soooooo many ways to make this game crash that its like the easter eggs in some games....we all tryin to find the many diff ways to make it crash ugh

There is probably some dodgy 64 bit code in there somewhere.

It isn't a matter of turns though, if I take 64 cities the game crashes. If I burn a city and go down to 62 I can take a 63rd again. Needless to say it is extremely frustrating after playing a game for 20+ hours . I hope it is being looked at.

The problem is not related to number of cities.. it changes based on the machine.
    I would hazard a guess that it's either a memory leak or just raw memory usage. The game is still 32bit and without knowing how much each "city" requires the most logical reason is that when a certain number of cities is reached..boom game fails due to running out of memory. No real way to fix it yet unfortunately and if it is an application limit it might be impossible to fix. We'll have to wait and see what the future patches bring.

City problem - Just another bug from a developer with no testing department??

I can vouch FULLY that the limit I've experienced is indeed on my trying to invade a 65th city, no matter the size of the map.
    There's a similar thread on the Steam forum site:
    http://forums.steampowered.com/forum...1#post17427203
    As I've put in my entry there and to continue from it, I've tried Windows 7 & XP, Dual-Core, Quad Core PCs, different ram chips, different hard drives (something windows suggested), updated my .net4 and c++ installations... I am UTTERLY SICK of basically testing to destruction for free, when the job should have fallen to the developer (or I should be paid, either way).
    The lack of patch also infuriates me, as there are now quite a gathering of us conquerer player types with this problem. Cultural and Diplomatic victories are just not the way for us I guess!!
    Civ has always been a great chain and always seems a few steps away from being the greatest strategy game while Blizzard have been able to produce a flawless strat game (starcraft2) after more than 10 years away from developing this style of game!! (Sorry I keep slipping into rant-mode - I just HATE knowing I've completely wasted hours and hours of play...!!!)
    Disgruntled user.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Bring back the customisable palace built by happy citizens!
    And bring back the great ending movies we all used to look forward to!!

I can confirm this problem as well. I hit the 64 city limit when getting a rival civ to surrender to me. They offered me all their cities and the game kept crashing; so I counted how many cities I had (60), and accepted five, and it crashed. Four, and it worked. Not sure why some folks get to 70. Maybe it has something to do with the OS? (I'm running Win 7 64-bit)

I am on 32 byte XP, it has something to do with the coding of the game I believe and nothing with a person's PC.

Doing good patch work takes time and I agree that we should not be forced it a sort of beta testing role which seems to be more and more common with games these days. I am willing to be patient because I think the game is good and has great potential with mods and expansions.
    Last edited by Dan85; 10-07-2010 at 04:16 AM.