Thread: Does Civ V run on 64 bit Windows 7?

Does Civ V run on 64 bit Windows 7?

Hi-

I recently bought a new computer that runs the 64 bit version of Windows 7, and Im interested in buying Civ V. Being that I just bought Dragon Age and it really doesnt like the OS, I thought I'd find out before buying it.

2. Yes it does. Doesn't mean you won't have some crashes, and long turn times though. Hopeully they are patching.

It doesn't work particularly well on any OS at the moment

Quote Originally Posted by syrilian83 View Post
    Hi-

I recently bought a new computer that runs the 64 bit version of Windows 7, and Im interested in buying Civ V. Being that I just bought Dragon Age and it really doesnt like the OS, I thought I'd find out before buying it.
    Yes, im running 7-64

Edit - and to instill SOME confidence, im running a TERRIBLE machine, and RARELY crash (in fact, i only crash while in strategic mode)

Weird, I have win 7 64 bit and Dragon Age runs fine for me. Of course Civ 5 keeps locking up at the same turn but thats the game and not me.

I've had excellent results with Windows 7 Ultimate. Not so much with Vista on my laptop, though it could be other limitations on my lappy as well (video, etc).

I would suggest you buy the game only when the game is patched.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfpost View Post
    Weird, I have win 7 64 bit and Dragon Age runs fine for me. Of course Civ 5 keeps locking up at the same turn but thats the game and not me.
    Is it the same turn that has an autosave?

Hi,

I am running 64 bit Windows 7 computer....never got the demo to work....but the actual game have still not crashed a single time....

I am running Win 7 x64. I've seen two crash scenarios.

The game crashes when you reload a save game without first quitting the game. In the early stages of the game, you could reload a few times before a crash on reload would occur. As the game progressed and the save file got bigger, the number of safe reloads went down, now at turn 260 I can never reload without a crash (I have to exit to windows and restart the game to load).

The other crash scenario I've seen seems to be video-driver related: if I play the dx10/11 version of the game, it consistently crashes within a turn or two. If I run the dx9 version, I don't have in-game crashes (just the reload crashes).

YMMV.

I recommend you buy a different game, or figure out how to get Dragon Age to work, and not pay for Civ V until these and most of the non-crash bugs are fixed.

I am running a Win 7 64bit version too and Civ5 runs without problems. Except the problems you can read here in this forums... Want to finish my first game...

Quote Originally Posted by Cyhn View Post
    Is it the same turn that has an autosave?
    Pretty much so. I have it auto saving every other turn so i'm assuming so. i did a regular save 1 turn before the lock up occurs. Around turn 730 i think on huge map. Many others are having the same problem. Rumored to be a patch soon but no confirmation on that.

Playing Civ 5 on Windows 7 64-bit and no troubles, no crashes, nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Edimasta View Post
    Playing Civ 5 on Windows 7 64-bit and no troubles, no crashes, nothing
    Pretty much this is my experience also

Playing CivV (and Dragon Age) on a slightly underspecced (for CivV, not Dragon Age) machine, and both work quite happily (as in not crashing or hanging) on Win7 64-bit. If Dragon Age is patched up, I believe that improves the Win64 situation.