Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Set Launch Options

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    174

    Lightbulb Set Launch Options

    I don't like having icons on my desktop, but I wanted to tell the system to launch in DX 11. I found the "Set Launch Options..." dialog in Steam. If you just put in the same commands the generated shortcut uses, it works the same. In my case, I just have "/dx11". Now launching Civ through the Steam interface doesn't pop-up a dialog asking which one to use.

    Sorry if this has been posted elsewhere. I searched for "Launch Options", and it came back with so many unrelated hits that I gave up.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    26
    That's jolly handy, thanks! I've got a couple of games that have pop-up options every time they run and it's a little annoying.

  3. #3
    Thanks so much for this. I am sick of having to sit and wait for 10 or so click damands to start the game. Anything that shortens the misery is a step forward.

    This tip should be added to the FAQs.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Glorgville
    Posts
    1,395
    Another way to do this is to right click on the window Civ V window that asks you whether you want dx 9 or 11. It then gives you the option to create a shortcut that will boot up which ever version you want and it never asks you again- just a double click on the Civ V shortcut and you're off. It's especially great if you've disabled the intro movie.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    174
    Quote Originally Posted by neil5280 View Post
    I don't like having icons on my desktop, but I wanted to tell the system to launch in DX 11.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazzterisk View Post
    Another way to do this is to right click on the window Civ V window that asks you whether you want dx 9 or 11. It then gives you the option to create a shortcut that will boot up which ever version you want and it never asks you again
    While I appreciate your contribution Jazzterisk, I think when you place your comment after the OP, you can see how it doesn't really belong in this thread. I'm afraid you might take the thread down a tangent, so to be clear, the method in the OP tells Steam to always launch Civ V in DX 11 without popups, no matter where you launch it from.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    5
    THANKS a lot... that is great!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1,185
    I have done this as well. I have mine set to DX 9. Lucky you that you can play DX 11.

    I hate how I have to click to just click to start. Now we have to get rid of that blah blah blah accept screen. That is so pointless. You already installed the game, you shouldn't have to agree all the time every time you want to play a game.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    624
    The ESRB screen and copyright screen is a CYA thing from the lawyers probably. Since you have to click through it, you did see it, thus are bound by what it says.

    Though it might make more sense to throw that before you go into the multiplayer mode. Who knows why. There's probably some company that got sued for it and now we all have to suffer.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1,185
    Quote Originally Posted by Satoru View Post
    The ESRB screen and copyright screen is a CYA thing from the lawyers probably. Since you have to click through it, you did see it, thus are bound by what it says.
    Actually you are not bound by it legally? How are you bound by it? If you do not accept, you can't even reject it. There is only one button to click on, so how can you refuse then?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    624
    Quote Originally Posted by Davor View Post
    Actually you are not bound by it legally? How are you bound by it? If you do not accept, you can't even reject it. There is only one button to click on, so how can you refuse then?
    It's not an ELUA where you have to click 'accept', like every time you used to launch WoW it would pop the ELUA. So my use of 'bound' was not really appropriate in this case. It's more of a notification. The copyright notification tells you who owns the game and such. As such you can't claim to copy stuff from the game and not know who made it. The ESRB notification just says 'If you encounter a jackass online it's not our fault'. That way you can't sue the company, because you met some trolling idiot online that made fun of your city placement. Basically we warned you, so grow some tougher skin.

    It's like how ladders have all sorts of warning or even instructions imprinted on them now. Or the 'this beverage is hot' on coffee cups. It's just a CYA saying 'it's here! don't sue us!'

    If you think about it every game pops up the copyright notification at some point during the initial load screen. But it usually appears while the game is loading in the background.
    Last edited by Satoru; 10-25-2010 at 11:46 PM.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Glorgville
    Posts
    1,395
    Quote Originally Posted by neil5280 View Post
    While I appreciate your contribution Jazzterisk, I think when you place your comment after the OP, you can see how it doesn't really belong in this thread. I'm afraid you might take the thread down a tangent, so to be clear, the method in the OP tells Steam to always launch Civ V in DX 11 without popups, no matter where you launch it from.
    Ok no problem. I understand what you meant now.
    However, I reserve the right to post what I think is relevant in an public forum.
    Last edited by Jazzterisk; 10-26-2010 at 02:12 AM.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazzterisk View Post
    Ok no problem. I understand what you meant now.
    However, I reserve the right to post what I think is relevant in an public forum.
    Jazz I liked your post and thought it was extremely relevant. Don't let the self-appointed forum police hold you down.

    Sorry is this a tangent?

    (Actually I didn't know you could right click to get the Generate Shortcut stuff)

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    174

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by beowulf77 View Post
    Jazz I liked your post and thought it was extremely relevant. Don't let the self-appointed forum police hold you down.


    Quote Originally Posted by beowulf77 View Post
    Sorry is this a tangent?
    Yup

    Quote Originally Posted by beowulf77 View Post
    (Actually I didn't know you could right click to get the Generate Shortcut stuff)
    That's what you get for not reading the text in the window and just blindly clicking the option you want.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •