Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Update: Protector Trials, Minerva's Den, and final patch coming to a PC near you

Arrow Update: Protector Trials, Minerva's Den, and final patch coming to a PC near you

May 17th Edit:

Minerva's Den is headed to PC - you'll be able to download the final chapter on May 31st!

Read all about it now: http://www.2kgames.com/cultofrapture...dencomingmay31

---

Hey guys,

I have some good news concerning the BioShock 2 PC patch as well as the development of Protector Trials and Minerva's Den for the PC. Not to keep you in suspense any longer, I'll sum it up with one sentence: We have resumed development on all three and they will be coming to PC.

Many of you might be asking "how did that happen?" When we announced that Protector Trials and Minerva's Den would not be coming out for the PC due to technical and timing issues, we received a lot of feedback (much of it understandably expressing disappointment and anger) about our decision. I was also asked for more details about what technical and timing issues we were faced with - and I want to take this time to explain a bit more. In terms of the patch and the Protector Trials, we had a working build but there were bugs in the code that would trigger problems with the game during specific situations, and we were not happy enough with the status of the build to release it for certification with Microsoft. As time moved on, we could not resolve these issues to our standards and so could not release to cert. As with all games, however, the dev cycle must end and patches and updates must conclude so that the team can move on to other projects. We hit that deadline without the content being in a state we were satisfied with, so we did not release it.

However, one of the core principles of the 2K Games community is to keep an open dialogue with gamers and listen to what they have to say. We are a company of gamers making awesome experiences for gamers - and given the conversations we've had over the past two weeks, we've decided to go back and finish the PC patch and Protector Trials. Currently, we are patching the final bugs in these two pieces of content and then will submit everything to certification. The cert process can take anywhere up to four weeks, but as we hit major milestones (passing cert or otherwise included) I'll tell you guys. We are projecting that the patch and the Protector Trials will be ready to cert in December and I'm happy to announce that they will be available free to the community.

When we stopped development on Minerva's Den, it was not in a workable state and needed significantly more dev time to complete. As of now, we are not certain how much longer it would take to complete the project to our standards, but we have reallocated resources to work on completing the project so PC gamers can have this experience in Rapture along with 360 and PS3 owners.

Often, development is not a smooth and straight forward path. We never want to disappoint our gamers and we will always listen to what you have to say and try to do what's right for you and the game. I want to thank all of you not only for your feedback, but also for your patience and understanding. Check back here for more information - I'll be updating this post as we hit key milestones in development.

Thanks.

-Elizabeth
    Last edited by 2K Elizabeth; 05-17-2011 at 01:59 PM.

wow for those people who got mad i guess now have no reason to be mad anymore.

This is good news for PC gamers.

This is absolutely awesome!

So many thanks 2K, for reconsidering it!

yeah awesome, too bad i bought a xbox for protector trials and minerva's den but now i still will wait for the pc version. loll

Woohoo! Even though I have both for PS3 I'm still happy! Good for you PC users, free Protector Trials. That means free tonic in Minerva's Den.

Whoa, I only read now that the Protector Trials will be FREE!

That's a really good way to make up for your past ''mistakes''/letdowns (as some experienced it), 2K
    And it will keep us busy untill Minerva's Den will reach completement!

I can't wait

Thanks for having our back through this Liz, I know it was a tough couple of weeks for everyone around here, and many nasty things were said, but you came through for us and for that I'm thankful.

Quote Originally Posted by IllusionOfLife View Post
    Thanks for having our back through this Liz, I know it was a tough couple of weeks for everyone around here, and many nasty things were said, but you came through for us and for that I'm thankful.
    Now you guys will stop asking me to tell you what happened in that darned meeting.

In the same way i wrote that huge email for the meeting arguing how bad that decision was, now i'm here to say thanks for listening to us.

I'm sure the benefits from this decision will be seen, as PC gamers can have their faith for PC support from 2k Games restored.

Bioshock Infinite is now day one too.

Thanks Elizabeth and 2k Games.

Great news! Thanks for listening!

Btw, if one person complains about PC users getting Protector Trials for free when console users had to pay they'll be getting a swift digital slap upside the head from yours truly

That is fantastically awesome! I was quite disappointed when I heard forward momentum had ceased on these products--was eager to give you my money after hearing good things about Minerva's Den. And am eager once again!

13. Gives me another excuse to play it again! ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by 2K Elizabeth View Post
    Now you guys will stop asking me to tell you what happened in that darned meeting.
    :P

After having lurked here since before the game was released (I never sign up on game forums anylonger, they tend to get bad after the release). After having raged over no singleplayer DLC for PC (while I recently bought a PS3, I've got Bioshock 1 and 2 for PC, and I didn't want to buy them for PS3 too). After sending angry emails. I can say, well, I'm not entirely sure what to say.

While I got this nagging idea that all of this is one massive evil scheme by 2K, you know, first pissing us off, then making us all love you for coming back to us. On the other hand, I may be a cynical guy, but once in a while, I'll make an exception. Thank you! You're awesome! and thanks for it.

Now, I need to formate my pc and get the games reinstalled.
    Last edited by SquigPie; 10-27-2010 at 12:08 AM.

Great news!

I'm definitely looking forward to buying Minerva's Den; thanks for that.

P.

Quote Originally Posted by IllusionOfLife View Post
    Btw, if one person complains about PC users getting Protector Trials for free when console users had to pay they'll be getting a swift digital slap upside the head from yours truly
    Better get your digital slap ready then .

[QUOTE=2K Elizabeth;1254568]Hey guys,

I have some good news concerning the BioShock 2 PC patch as well as the development of Protector Trials and Minerva's Den for the PC. Not to keep you in suspense any longer, I'll sum it up with one sentence: We have resumed development on all three and they will be coming to PC.

Wow i'd given up hope! Thank you

Already up at RockPaperShotgun:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010...ioshock-2-dlc/

P.

I'll subsume my cynicism about potential ploys, etc. and simply say : "that'll do 2K, that'll do" and be more careful next time, and take this as a valuable lesson learned.
    Last edited by SpottedPattern; 10-27-2010 at 12:18 AM.

Even though I already caved and played it on PS3, I will certainly by Minerva's Den on PC now to fully enjoy the experience.

Thanks to 2k for not only realizing their mistake, but admitting it in an open manner. I just hope we won't be left in the dark as much on future projects.

Quote Originally Posted by 2K Elizabeth View Post
    Hey guys,

I have some good news concerning the BioShock 2 PC patch as well as the development of Protector Trials and Minerva's Den for the PC... *snip* ...Check back here for more information - I'll be updating this post as we hit key milestones in development.

Thanks.

-Elizabeth
    Promises, promises, promises...

Seeing is believing..
    Last edited by Hellboy; 10-27-2010 at 12:25 AM.

Thumbs up

No, 2k, say it ain't so! What am I supposed to do with all my leftover unfocused cynicism now?

kidding.

I'm very pleased and more than a little surprised by this response. Way to be, 2k, way to be. Let's be friends again.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
    Promises, promises, promises...

Seeing is believing..
    I can tell you without a doubt that I would not make this announcement if I were not 100% certain this would happen.

I have a firm commitment from the team that when we reach key milestones (i.e. when we've gone in to cert, when we know release dates, when we hit any snags that may change the timeline) I'll tell you. If we pass or fail something, you guys will know.

You guys totally redeemed yourselves. Thank you so much for reconsidering.

I will be purchasing Bioshock Infinite on day one, just to show my support for you guys.

This is awesome! My faith in 2K Games is restored, and BioShock Infinite will be a day 1 purchase for me as well.

I can't wait for Protector Trials (free!?! Woot!) and will be purchasing Minerva's Den as soon as it comes out.

Elizabeth, I thank you for going to bat for us and for making sure that PC gamers get the same level of support. Also, pass the thank you to anyone else that helped our community out with this issue.

We're all really excited that the PC players will get to play the DLC! Can't wait for everybody to get their (keyboard and mouse) hands on it!
    Last edited by [2KM] Steve G.; 10-27-2010 at 12:37 AM.

Thumbs up

maybe the wait was still worth it after all...i get to play the damn thing. it is a step forward.

I'm speechless - I don't know what to say!

I think it's quite extraordinary that not only did 2K decide to reverse their decision to not release the content, but they're going to release Protector Trials to the community for free?!

Hearing a bit more of the behind-the-scenes development of the DLC is, at last, a decent explanation.

This all goes a long way to show that 2K does care indeed about the community, and to renew our faith in 2K and create goodwill.

Steve - I can't wait to experience Minerva's Den! Now I'm glad I actually didn't end up watching those HD YouTube videos I downloaded!
    Last edited by Relight; 10-27-2010 at 01:28 AM. Reason: Clarification

I'll actually get to play the 2 DLC's on my PC? Ah, 2K come here and let me give you a hug A big thank you for changing course!

I hope it will be available on Steam too.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Downfall View Post
    wow for those people who got mad i guess now have no reason to be mad anymore.

This is good news for PC gamers.

When they announced it had been cancelled, I got out of my chair, went over to the window, opened it and stuck my head out and yelled "I'm as mad as hell, and I'm not gonna take this anymore"

Anyway, my wallet is ready for whenever you guys get the Minerva's Den DLC out the door - the free PT should keep me occupied til then. Thank you 2K for reconsidering.

Talking

Awesome news !!!

Thanks 2K, thanks Liz !

Finally... Miracles do happen

Whoo, great news!

@2K Elizabeth: Can you visit other companies and force them to do the same? Like with Capcom, I would like them to release the RE5 DLC for PC too. Just enter their offices, pretend you're working there, and then slap random employees with a big stick until they agree to port over the DLC. I'm sure it'll work!

Quote Originally Posted by Sectus View Post
    Whoo, great news!

@2K Elizabeth: Can you visit other companies and force them to do the same? Like with Capcom, I would like them to release the RE5 DLC for PC too. Just enter their offices, pretend you're working there, and then slap random employees with a big stick until they agree to port over the DLC. I'm sure it'll work!
    LOL! That might not end well.

I'll believe it when I see it, but I hope someone at 2k learns from this whole ordeal. 2k has to realize that taking care of customers now earns the company more $$$ over the next several years, instead of selling a customer a game once and then abandoning them.

This actually gets me a bit excited about finally playing this game.

I'm really glad to see this. I own both a PC and Xbox and purchased the original Bioshock for PC. I have not purchased Bioshock 2 yet. I was planning on purchasing Bioshock 2 for PC. When I saw the announcement that the DLC would not be coming to PC, rather than buying the xbox version I decided not to purchase the game at all. I am very pleased to hear that the DLC is coming to PC. Pleased enough that I signed up for a forum account to post this message to let you know that you have gained at least one sale you'd have lost completely otherwise.

Thank you for this, I am glad 2K changed their minds.

The thing to remember, for me, is that you need to treat every customer as a valued customer. Writing off some customers just creates resentment and anger at the company as a whole, which is never good business sense. I know GFWL sucks and you're Steamworks now, and I hope that works out well for you, but it's the right thing to do to support the GFWL game as best you can despite moving on from that system.

I look forward to playing Minerva's Den, no matter how late, and I look forward to BioShock Infinite on Steamworks or whatever other platform you guys use

I'm:

a) Speechless
    b) Ecstatic
    c) Regretful that my recent posts have been so irate in nature

Thank you, Liz. This will go a long way toward restoring my faith in 2k.

And PC gamers everything got up and yelled:

"GOD DOES EXIST!!"

Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast