Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What does Steam upload from my computer?

Wow, can we lock this thread now.

Steam does not upload, sell, or even ask for anything from your computer unless you ask them to. If you are tired of steam and updating. Simply start steam, click offline mode. And you are done. You will never have it do anything but start your games.

Quote Originally Posted by Draco View Post
    Wow, can we lock this thread now.

Steam does not upload, sell, or even ask for anything from your computer unless you ask them to. If you are tired of steam and updating. Simply start steam, click offline mode. And you are done. You will never have it do anything but start your games.
    Valves privacy policy which you agree to when you agree to steams EULA.
    1 By using Valve's online sites and products, users agree that Valve may collect aggregate information, individual information, and personally identifiable information, as defined below. 2 Valve may share aggregate information and individual information with other parties. 3Valve shall not share personally identifiable information with other parties, except as described in the policy below.

"Aggregate information" is information that describes the habits, usage patterns, and demographics of users as a group but does not describe or reveal the identity of any particular user.

"Individual information" is information about a user that is presented in a form distinguishable from information relating to other users but not in a form that personally identifies any user or enables the recipient to communicate directly with any user unless agreed to by the user in advance of such communication. This information may be used to improve Valve's products and online sites, for internal marketing studies, or simply to collect demographic information about Valve's users.

Valve may use customer contact information provided by users to send information about Valve, including news about product updates, contests, events, and other promotional materials, but only if the users agree to receive such communications. Except in the cases described below, Valve will not share personally identifiable information with any third party unless the user agrees to such disclosure in advance. "Personally identifiable information" consists of a user's name, email address, physical address, or other data about the user that enables the recipient to personally identify the user. While Valve collects personally identifiable information on a voluntary basis, for certain products and online sites, Valve's collection of personally identifiable information may be a requirement for access to the product or site. Personally identifiable information will be processed and stored by Valve in databases situated in the United States. Valve may allow third parties performing services under contract with Valve to access stored information but such access shall only be to the extent necessary to provide those services. In those instances, the third party will be bound by the terms of this privacy policy. In some situations, personally identifiable information you input in connection with Steam may be made available to other users of Steam. For example, during registration of Steam, Valve collects a user's email address and nickname, and at the user's option, first and last name. Some of this information is searchable and available to other users within Steam. Valve has no obligation to keep the privacy of personally identifiable information that a user makes available to other users via Steam or other Valve software, such as in multiplayer or other public functions.
    My point
    Regardless of what they DO or Do not decide collect and upload at any given time,1 when you agree to steams EULA you agree to let them collect whatever they want. 3While they provide stipulations to the sharing of personally identifiable information they 2 DO NOT add any stipulations to aggregate information or individual information . So use steam, enjoy its benefits but don't complain if they are data mining to make a buck.. you agreed to it.
    Last edited by Servoinvicem; 11-06-2010 at 05:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Davor View Post
    I don't know about you, but this is our own personal information. If anyone should be making money selling our info, it shold be us, not a 3rd party who just collects the stuff.
    But they are the ones collecting that info, not us. So yes, if we agree via EULA to them maintaining and distributing data that they collect via a process they develop, then yes... It Is theirs to sell.

Quote Originally Posted by Davetopia View Post
    But they are the ones collecting that info, not us. So yes, if we agree via EULA to them maintaining and distributing data that they collect via a process they develop, then yes... It Is theirs to sell.
    Then again, to play a game we are forced agaisnt our will to have our information collected about us and then sold to or given away at will.

I like my habits to be kept to myself. So far Steam has not provided me with anything for a better gaming experiance no matter what Firaxis, 2K, Bethesda and who ever say it does.

So it's use steam and play Civ V or don't play at all. I have no other options. Yeah way to go, so I accepted so I can play Civ V. So what's next? Next time I go to a cinema to watch a movie, cameras will be watching me to see my habits what I watch, how many times I yawn, when I go to the bathroom, what I do in the bathroom, be it #1 or #2. What I buy at the consesission stand.

I do not like Big Brother watching what I am doing, and now we have companies who do this now not goverments.

Sorry if I get upset when people spy on you and then that stuff is sold or given away to 3rd parties.

OH I forgot to say this. About turning Steam in offline mode, why can't I just have it off? So now I am forced to play non patched games of Civ V now eh?

Because as soon as I turn Steam on to patch up Civ V, all that information being stored is being sent to Steam. So I play 6 months offline so Steam can't collect any information, as soon as I want to patch or buy a DLC or expansion, Steam will have my information anyways. So they get it sooner or later. You have no choice again.

So again, how is turning Steam into offline mode going to stop it? Either I am forced to play a non patched version or I have my playing habits given to who knows where.

Also don't forget people, Steam gets to sell your information as well.
    Care to share your source for that with us?

Quote Originally Posted by slowtarget View Post
    Care to share your source for that with us?
    Have you even bothered to read your EULA when you signed up with Steam? Didn't you read the post that Servoinvicem posted just a few posts ago?

You should always read what you are signing up for. Yes I know I don't do it mostly but go read the Steam EULA, it's there in black and white.

Have you even bothered to read your EULA when you signed up with Steam? Didn't you read the post that Servoinvicem posted just a few posts ago?
    Yeah, I did read it. Did you?

Did you read the part where they explicitly state and guarantee that no personally identifiable information is collected? So... they don't collect information about you. They collect information about someone out there and then dump that information in a big stats table. As stated in the SSA and Privacy Policy, it is impossible for anyone, including Valve, to look at the collected information and figure out who it came from.

Beyond that, your personally identifiable information is kept within your account and that information is explicitly not shared with any third parties.

You should always read what you are signing up for. Yes I know I don't do it mostly but go read the Steam EULA, it's there in black and white.
    But where does the EULA say "Sell"

Oh Quantum back again I see. I think sell is derived from the bit where they say they can share your information with their partners.

Can anyone tell me how to opt out of steam data collection?

Also can anyone tell me why steam needs to know what non-steam related software I am using.

Share =! Sell

As for your 2 question, i cant answer that, however Valve/Steam certainly can.

Quote Originally Posted by QuantumTarantino View Post
    Share =! Sell

As for your 2 question, i cant answer that, however Valve/Steam certainly can.
    Share equals sell because it is part of a commercial arrangement. Saying share does not equal sell is like saying you didn't "sell" open borders when you included in a trade of silver for gems in Civ. If it is part of a transaction it is a sale.

Quote Originally Posted by slowtarget View Post
    Yeah, I did read it. Did you?

Did you read the part where they explicitly state and guarantee that no personally identifiable information is collected? So... they don't collect information about you. They collect information about someone out there and then dump that information in a big stats table. As stated in the SSA and Privacy Policy, it is impossible for anyone, including Valve, to look at the collected information and figure out who it came from.

Beyond that, your personally identifiable information is kept within your account and that information is explicitly not shared with any third parties.
    Well if you read it, why are you asking me for proof that this happened?

Also how do they guarantee it? What is the guarantee? Useless words, since a EULA is really non binding in court anyways. For a contrat to be legally binding you need signatures on paper. So this guarentee you are talking about is just as good as the paper it's written on.

Quote Originally Posted by Sput View Post
    I have noticed that when Civilization V is updated my router shows the download but it also shows that a large amount of information is also being uploaded.

Can anyone please explain what is being uploaded and why?
    If you are female it probably includes your bra size, the date of your last menstruation cycle, and if you are still using braces for your teeth, if you are male, then so long as you aren't a registered owner of an AK-47, I think you're good to go.

I don't know about you, but this is our own personal information. If anyone should be making money selling our info, it shold be us, not a 3rd party who just collects the stuff.
    The money you save by getting games off Steam when they are on sale instead of at regular retail price could be seen as putting money in your pocket.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12