Thread: guide to beat the mongols scenario

guide to beat the mongols scenario

i remember beating this on prince, it is stressful to make sure you dont fall behind on capping civs.

on a relative note, the city-states didnt always seem to start at the same spots, so i would start a few games and explore a bit to find one where a few city-states are nearby

1. take over the nearest city-states, you gain extra helpful bonuses from this that will help u when u invade ur first civ.

2. explore wast and south, thats where ur first few targets will be located, siam should be first, and shouldnt be too hard with 3-6 cities. attack them first after you have captured a few citystates. by this time you should have 2-3 keshiks, 1-2 horseman, and most importantly, ur great general. its up to you whether you want to relinquish him from the game or accept his peace offer after you have captured 2-3 cities then finish him later

3. either china or persia should be next, i did persia because china didnt appear as a threat and the pre-built road already gave me an advantage when moving troops there. by now you should have a good sized experienced military and persia shouldnt be very difficult.

4. after taking over persia, head to china and finish them. if yuou choose to keep building military units, you should have a massive army right now. if not, then you should still be able to beat them easily

5. after china, take your pick at who to destroy next. you should have no difficult after you defeat china.

a few things to remember:
    always use your generals and keep them defended and in the rear with your archers/keshiks. they provide a great bonus to combat and the healing is required to take cities. you will keep getting more and more generals as the game progresses and you can use them to have multiple sieges going at a time.

one more thing, if you wish to win this scenario quickly, use all your production going towards keshiks or horseman(within reason), and a few workers mid game. all your gold should be spent on buying units( within reason AS WELL). whenever you discover a citystate, conquer them. and by mid game you will have enough keshiks/horsemen/generals to be attacking 2/3 cities at a time.

strategy. a good strategy is to assess the terrain around the cities. place keshiks so they are on hills and so they all have the city within range. place your generals so that they provide the bonus to the most troops possible, and have one horseman that is 'alert' at the front lines waiting for you to bring the city down to 1hp. extra troops can be used to pick off enemy advancements or threats to ur main attacking force.

IF YOUR TROOPS HP IS IN THE YELLOW, HEAL. i did this whole scenario and lost three units. casualties should be at a minimum, also dont worry too much about garrisoning cities unless they are newly acquiring via capture. you will have the enemy on defense most of the game.

if u notice any problems or have anything i forgot or your own strategy, please post it

Do not waste time on invading Japan

Pretty good guide.

For me, I conquered North and Southern China first, then split my army into 2. One headed for India and Persia, while the other tried to take Japan and failed, only to be recalled to proceed and march on to join the Persian and Arabian campaign (I could not find Russia) forces.

On higher levels of difficulty, you will need as many well-used turns as far as possible since you need to conquer more civilizations. Therefore, my advice to players is that they should leave Japan alone as far as possible first. Your Keshiks are no match for their Samurai and there is not a lot of land to round about on Japan. The end result will be a massacre of your Keshiks, Horsemen and Khans by their well-barricaded cities and 30-odd strength Samurai in their own enclosed fortress island. You will be no match for Japan until you get gunpowder units.

Just let history be ... the Mongols lost about 200,000 troops when they tried to take Japan, though not to Samurai, but to a storm.

Wait, if you do all that, your unhappiness will skyrocket, do we have to deal with it or can we just go War Machine and keep annexing cities and building trading posts?

Quote Originally Posted by ManOverGame View Post
    Wait, if you do all that, your unhappiness will skyrocket, do we have to deal with it or can we just go War Machine and keep annexing cities and building trading posts?
    Yeah I had that problem too. Unhappiness level skyrockets after having too many cities, and you won't have enough gold or production to speed up the construction of Coliseums. Since it's only a 100 turn game, I never bothered to annex cities; I just make puppets out of them.

Eventually you will probably be forced to deal with the horrible -33% combat strength penalty from "very unhappy" (10 unhappiness or more) like I did. The last 30 or 40 turns for me were plagued by that issue, but I had the bulk of my forces upgraded by so much that I was more than able to make up for it. I forgot to trade luxury resources with other players though. Maybe that will help.

yes, its true you do get unhappiness, what i did was annex the first few cities i conquered, and set their construction to courthouses immediately, then right when that was finished started building keshiks/horsemen. my unhappiness was rarely positive but i didnt let it go far enough down that my combat strength suffered, i made cities farther from my next target be puppets when i captured them, and the cities captured closer to my next target were annexed. a good portion of your troops will come from buying them with money you get from city-states, or gifts from the citystates themselves when you capture them.

as for russia, they were in the very northwest corner of the map. i took time to explore when i finished the scenario.

i also should point out that with the strategy that i used, i beat the scenario with 6 turns to spare.

attack retreat attack

I agree. Keshiks and horseman are the answer with a very aggressive attitude. Don't attack Japan and don't annex cities just puppet them. Well annex one city to help with unit production, preferably a city state but don't bother with a courthouse, it wastes to much time. Use your keshiks by attacking then retreating in the same turn until the city is defenceless then move in with your horseman.

Easy peasy.

My order - North China, South China, India (India are useless), Persia.

p.s. don't let South China invade the North like I did on my first attempt. They will become too powerful and very aggressive; impossible to handle at the start of the game with your piddly single city.

To beat anything above King, you need to be quick and fast about what you do since you need to have upwards of 7 or 8 AIs conquered (Siam, Japan, China, India, Persia, Arabia, Russia, Greece)

Your first policy should be XP boost.

1. You need to Ignore Happiness completely, don't even worry about it your great generals provide enough cover to take the combat effectiveness hit.
    2. You need three attack forces of a minimum of 2 keshiks and 2 horsemen apiece. Catapults are useful though, as are crossbow men.

A)Attack force one will go straight for Siam then to China, by this time you should have built a second attack force.

3. Once you have China's capital, immediately annex it ( this will be useful for taking Japan) and beeline straight for navigation to get frigates. By this time you should have enough units to have two attack forces.

B)Your second attack force should immediately go West to Persia from the upper desert path, and your first force should go down through the jungles to India. If you time this right, you will be attacking both Persia and India at the same time.

4. Build/Buy your third attack force of 1 crossbowman, 1 keshik, and 2 cavalry or melee units and take Korea at some point before you get navigation.

5. One you have navigation, your three attack forces should just be finished with their respective enemies ( India, Persia, and Korea. Your two western forces should be going upwards to attack Russia and Arabia and finally Greece and your third should be sitting in Korea ready for Japan) It may be a good idea to annex a city close by to buy new units. At this point you should have 2000+ gold.

Taking Japan
    Over three turns, buy three frigates in the Chinese Capital.

6. Park a crossbow man or catapult on the hill on south Korea such that your xbowman or catapult will be able to bombard the southern island city on Japan, and bombard it with frigates. Once you take this city, you can bombard any samurai that are sitting on that lower tile.

7. Use your frigates and this southern island city to bombard lower Japan. With this strategy, you can bombard land units with frigates before any of your land units land(get it?). Japan is an easy take after this. Land your units and proceed slowly up Japan

8. Clean up Russia and Greece and Arabia.

Victory is yours!
    Last edited by Martinoguy; 11-11-2010 at 01:50 AM.

Unhappy when destroy 4 civilizations no recorded in the Hall of Fame!

Mongolian scenario, "prince": when destroy 4 civilizations no recorded in the Hall of Fame! (only time victory, no scenario victory) Why? Have you the same?