Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 277

Thread: January Hotfix (update: releasing 1/19)

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    1,273

    January Hotfix (update: releasing 1/19)

    Hey guys,

    You have all been clamoring for information about future patches, and so I’m happy to tell you that we have a hotfix currently in testing that is slated to release in the next week or so. This hotfix addresses many of the crashes reproduced in the save files that several of you sent me, as well as some others that have been discovered.

    As soon as we have a more exact release date I will let you guys know!

    Update: The hotfix is expected to release Wednesday, January 19th!
    Last edited by 2K Greg; 01-18-2011 at 05:22 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    136
    First!!!!!!!!!

    Can't wait until the full specs for this are posted. Hopefully most of the large issues with crashing will be resolved.

    As for the next full on patch, any information on that? - Thanks!!!

  3. #3
    only crash fixed or game play fix too ? ( like the crazy diannounce?)

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Wichita, Kansas
    Posts
    323

    Thumbs up

    Thanks, Greg.

    You're alright, man, no matter what Elizabeth says about ya behind your back.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    311
    Good news! Thank you, Greg.

    Yes, ETA on the next big patch would be great when you have it.
    That goes without saying I guess.. but we like to say it anyway.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Hamburg
    Posts
    446
    Looking forward to the hotfix, thank you! I think getting the game stable for everyone and all scenarios/settings is paramount before implementing big game changes.

    With no mention of a patch and just a hotfix that will be released in the next week or so, I guess it's conceivable that the devs have only had the time, taking into account the recent holiday season, to work on crashes & stability. It is plausible that another big, game-changing patch won't be available until mid-February.

    That said, I'm always open to pleasant surprises!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    213
    Crashes? What crashes?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    On Earth
    Posts
    633
    1) A final definitive fix on the Citizen Growth Meter (remaining filled!) in CityView.LUA or its XML.
    2) SS details popup in Victory Progress Info showed up blank as soon as someone completed a part ever since v1135+41 were installed.
    3) I'm sure you're quite aware of all the CFC bug tracking posts... some of those need urgent attention, i'll let you decide which.
    4) Wish list for later on (while i'm here...) in this thread, btw!

    Whenever you're done with much more extensive "HotFixes" & even some complex Patches... i'll keep watching.
    Thanks.

  9. #9
    Good news. The update is appreciated. Thanks.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    190
    Great to hear the next "hot fix" will finally address the stability issues. I hope this is the end of Civ crashing.

    When will something be done about the AI city spamming?

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    In front of my computer
    Posts
    1,273
    Just in time for Valentine's day.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    116
    Greg, just when all hope seems lost, you come through like the clean up hitter in the ninth inning. Thanks for the post. Love to hear good news. YAY!!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    27
    Great. I like these hotfix patches as well as the major ones. Civ must move onwards.

    I've played Civ tons since the last major patch, and enjoyed it a lot. Currently I have two major issues I can't fix by modding the game:

    1. Late game crashes that don't occur when I end the turn in Strategic View.
    2. A bug where building a courthouse in an occupied city correctly removes the occupation penalty, but the city fails to register as a normal city, as such does not generate the intended '2 unhappy per city' all non-occupied cities should. Annexed courthoused cities currently generate 2 unhappiness less than any other city one can have.

    I hope the next major patch will focus on multiplayer, which is in a pitiful bare-bones state.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    378
    Good to know that the crashes are receiving a high priority treatment.

    Also good to know that we won't have to wait for a major patch just to get the crash hotfix.

    I hope that once the stability of the game is consolidated, we can get some gameplay tweaks to turn the game into something balanced and challenging.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Yorkshire, England
    Posts
    61
    Quote Originally Posted by 2K Greg View Post
    Hey guys,

    You have all been clamoring for information about future patches, and so I’m happy to tell you that we have a hotfix currently in testing that is slated to release in the next week or so. This hotfix addresses many of the crashes reproduced in the save files that several of you sent me, as well as some others that have been discovered.

    As soon as we have a more exact release date I will let you guys know!
    Hi Greg, thanks for the update.

    Can we please have some detail on the causes and symptoms of the crashes that will be fixed? If not right now, then surely in the Hotfix release notes?

    I do not want to have to invest 8+ hours in a game again just to get to the industrial age of a Huge map game and discover the same crashes that prevent me from finishing the game. This has happened to me after every patch and hotfix so far.

    More information would at least give me some guidance on whether to attempt it or not.

    For example:.....

    If I see:

    "Fixed a crash associated with use of the Gunship Unit"
    ...then I won't bother, as I'm still yet to research/build/see one! But at least I'm not wasting my time.

    However, with something like:
    "Fixed memory leak on Huge size maps that resulted in crashes" or
    "Fixed map rendering issue where users with ATI graphics card experienced crashes in larger map sizes" etc etc
    .... then we'd be in business!

    I'm afraid: "Fixed some crash issues" just won't cut it!

    I think it's a perfectly reasonable thing to ask for and hope that this could be the start of a more transparent dialogue with your customers.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1
    (PC) I'm guessing since it is a hotfix that there won't be any other changes? One bug you might or might not be aware of is that when you have the turn timer on in mutli, you can delay any decision by simply letting time run out (even the UN vote) You can continue to work with cities, etc. as normal, just never make the decision. Also, is there any chance of you adding a feature that stops all cycling when at war - I'm tired of my buddy (who builds less cities and autos his workers) beating me when war gets declared because my city finishes production or I need to move a worker and lose an important battle. Also, any chance of reducing the health regained when capturing a city? Seems pretty wrong that the game tends to favor who is able to ignore the messages from their civilization first and execute their orders in reg. multi.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    254
    Thanks for the update Greg, most appreciated. Glad that you managed to get some user saved games to help you to track down these issues.
    Although I have never had a crash from day 1 hopefully it will help out some of those who do.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    46
    citystates and my roads will be fixed?

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Yorkshire, England
    Posts
    877
    any news regard MULTIPLAYER yet Greg?

    Please dont say yes it's Awesome and we are making it better

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Tempe, AZ
    Posts
    1,783
    I can't believe it took me all day to notice this thread.


    Quote Originally Posted by Bantams View Post
    any news regard MULTIPLAYER yet Greg?

    Please dont say yes it's Awesome and we are making it better
    How about they fix the crashes first?

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    111
    Quote Originally Posted by scaramonga View Post
    Crashes? What crashes?
    Good one :-)

    Say shouldn't it be Scaramanga or is it wrong when I think of 007 when seeing you nick?


    @2K Greg: Great news - I'm so hoping to complete a large map game.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    The Glorious Country of Texas
    Posts
    1,808
    Hotfixes, hotseat?

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    352
    Quote Originally Posted by scaramonga View Post
    Crashes? What crashes?
    Never experienced any crashes, just gameplay bugs.
    So yeah, what crashes ???

    I guess, I'm just really lucky.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    311
    Quote Originally Posted by KayTeEm View Post
    Never experienced any crashes, just gameplay bugs.
    So yeah, what crashes ???

    I guess, I'm just really lucky.
    Same here.. But any patch is welcome!

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    323
    Never had a crash either, I just want multiplayer working like singleplayer, it would certainly give them some more sales.

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Yorkshire, England
    Posts
    877
    Quote Originally Posted by brxbrx View Post
    I can't believe it took me all day to notice this thread.




    How about they fix the crashes first?
    What Crashes?

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    97
    Its interesting how so many ppl are satisifed so easily.
    So after all the next fix is so small you cant even call it a patch
    Usually a hotfix comes 1 or 2 days after a patch to fix some serious problems

    For me it looks alot that support/patching for civ5 has stopped.
    Provided that you wanna call the patches that came so far, actually patches and not mods of the game.
    Cause AI sux more then ever, diplomacy sux more then ever and consists only of denouncing, still thousands of bugs, still nothing fixed in multiplayer...the list goes on.

    Thank you.

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Colonia Claudia Ara Agrippinensium
    Posts
    71
    I could actually live with the few crashes I have if something could be done about these denouncing fests that you'll get in every game until everybody hates everyone on the planet...

  29. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Bantams View Post
    What Crashes?
    I was thinking like this untill yesterday! I play only huge/marathon and haven't got a single crash. I got bored to win allways as 'technical' (=space ship) victory and started newest just for time (=highest points in year 2050). Everything fine untill year 2046, now it crashes after every 5 - 10 turns, but I try get it finished...

  30. #30
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    10

    about time

    Well, I've been waiting since release to play this game. So far the best I've gone is around 100 turns without crashing and mostly it happens within a handful of turns. Hopefully this will help me as your support are unresponsive. In truth I'd almost given up hope that I would get to play this one.

  31. #31
    Fingers crossed!

    Take your time! Before February I do not have any time to play.

  32. #32
    I cant wait to be able to finish a game again! That is if the hotfix works!

  33. #33
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    378
    Quote Originally Posted by Nexus7 View Post
    Its interesting how so many ppl are satisifed so easily.
    So after all the next fix is so small you cant even call it a patch
    Usually a hotfix comes 1 or 2 days after a patch to fix some serious problems

    For me it looks alot that support/patching for civ5 has stopped.
    Provided that you wanna call the patches that came so far, actually patches and not mods of the game.
    Cause AI sux more then ever, diplomacy sux more then ever and consists only of denouncing, still thousands of bugs, still nothing fixed in multiplayer...the list goes on.

    Thank you.
    Interesting how people are never satisfied.

    Everyone that was having crashes here on this forum was complaining about the fact that the crashes didn't stop after the last patch. So they focused on fixing what people were complaining most about, and it isn't something that is easy to fix, specially because the vast majority of people here are like you: just want to rant without helping in anything. To fix the crashes they needed save files to reproduce the crash so they can pin-point the problem and fix it. Greg said that several times in all threads of people ranting about crashes. I wonder how many of the complainers did help, probably a number next to 0%, if we compare it to the number of people that were complaining.

    Your list of things that suck is correct, I agree with every little item. But please, don't complain about the PROGRESS being made, while also complaining about the fact that there's no progress. Just because they didn't focus on what you consider priority, it doesn't mean that the support has stoped.

    I'm not happy with the actual state of the game, but to say that the support has stoped in a thread that is about progress in the support of the game is simply dumb.

    It may be slow, but the community isn't helping much either.

    And by the way: hotfixes are little updates to cover something that the major patch should have covered, but didn't for some reason. It doesn't have to be released 1 or 2 days after the patch, since the concept isn't tied to a fast release, but to what's being fixed. When it's released quickly, it's because what's broken is easy to fix, sometimes a piece of code that they forgot while debuging the problem, things like that. Crashes, once more, aren't easy to fix at all. Just for your information.

  34. #34
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Herts, UK
    Posts
    242
    Can you update the intial post to include information on what is included as the information is made available to you. Im hoping the issues address the more serious issues and dont "tinker" with the minor stuff.

    Hopefully my confidence in your ability to fix this game can be improved with this hotfix.

  35. #35
    Great news - a hotfix that concentrates on the stability issues. I'm really looking forward to that and am HOPING that it might make huge maps playable for those of us who've till now been plagued by late game crashes.

  36. #36
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    253
    Fantastic news! Look forward to the hotfix.

  37. #37
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    London UK
    Posts
    114
    Will this patch fix the correct building turn for cities?

  38. #38
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    241
    For how many months do we have to wait to get an acceptable diplomatic system?

  39. #39
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,147
    over 9000...

  40. #40
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    97
    Quote Originally Posted by jacypr View Post
    Interesting how people are never satisfied.

    Everyone that was having crashes here on this forum was complaining about the fact that the crashes didn't stop after the last patch. So they focused on fixing what people were complaining most about, and it isn't something that is easy to fix, specially because the vast majority of people here are like you: just want to rant without helping in anything. To fix the crashes they needed save files to reproduce the crash so they can pin-point the problem and fix it. Greg said that several times in all threads of people ranting about crashes. I wonder how many of the complainers did help, probably a number next to 0%, if we compare it to the number of people that were complaining.

    Your list of things that suck is correct, I agree with every little item. But please, don't complain about the PROGRESS being made, while also complaining about the fact that there's no progress. Just because they didn't focus on what you consider priority, it doesn't mean that the support has stoped.

    I'm not happy with the actual state of the game, but to say that the support has stoped in a thread that is about progress in the support of the game is simply dumb.

    It may be slow, but the community isn't helping much either.

    And by the way: hotfixes are little updates to cover something that the major patch should have covered, but didn't for some reason. It doesn't have to be released 1 or 2 days after the patch, since the concept isn't tied to a fast release, but to what's being fixed. When it's released quickly, it's because what's broken is easy to fix, sometimes a piece of code that they forgot while debuging the problem, things like that. Crashes, once more, aren't easy to fix at all. Just for your information.
    You call me dumb? I know im not dumb. You are dumb

    But seriously.
    Ill explain what i mean by saying "support has stopped" in a thread that is about progress in the support.
    Some gaming companys have deadlines till they support/fully support a game and after that they stop patching or only do minor patching with minor resources and often only some devs make patches in their free time.
    When a gaming company does that ull get some "hotfixes" and rare big patches.
    Now what did we get so far in civ5? What did really improve since release? The AI maybe? ->LOL..the diplomacy? LOL@denouncing-fest. The MP wasnt even touched and is deader then dead.
    Please show/tell me the progress since release mate.

    And yes..ur absolutely right that this game isnt fixed easily...especially when u only put few ressources in such a project. Patching brings no money u know. Expansions and new games do.
    And its not that i WANT to rant...i was quiet after release for a very long time even though i (like many) was very dissapointed. but after seeing no improvement in this game i rant..from time to time

    and by the way: a hotfix is usually a small quick, not tested update, made for urgent, serious problems in a program. quick, urgent, serious...thats why its called HOTfix, like in "these are hot news".
    but i also like a description out of the english wikipedia "The more recent usage probably originated due to software vendors wanting to either avoid the term patch or give the impression that they were proactively servicing their product."

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •