Thread: Feature Transfer Error during install

Exclamation Feature Transfer Error during install

I keep trying to install Bioshock but everytime I get the same error

Feature Transfer Error
    Feature: DefaultFeature
    File: E:\data2.cab
    Error: Incorrect Function

I was wondering how do I fix it and install the game?

I am running it on a desktop and my specs are:

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
    Processor x86 Family 15 Model 35 Stepping 2 AuthenticAMD ~2700 Mhz
    Processor x86 Family 15 Model 35 Stepping 2 AuthenticAMD ~2699 Mhz
    Total Physical Memory 2,048.00 MB
    Available Physical Memory 1.14 GB
    Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 1.95 GB
    Page File Space 3.85 GB

I have a 1.5TB hard drive, so I know its not the lack of hard drive space
    Last edited by JLattouf; 07-02-2011 at 09:00 PM. Reason: Forgot specs

I split your post out of that mammoth thread because: nobody reads a thread that has hundreds of replies. Seriously, your best way to get noticed is to start a new thread.

The error you are describing is usually, but not always, related to a damaged disc. The first thing to do is visually inspect the disc, see if there are any scratches, abrasions, or dirt on it. If so, it is likely those are the issue and you can try to clean the disc with a very lightly wetted lint-free cloth starting from the center and going straight out to the edge in the case of dirt. Repeat this fully around the disc. If the disc is scratched or has abrasions, there are commercial disc repair kits you could try. But only if there are visible scratches or abrasions.

Another possible cause is a failing DVD drive. If possible try to install on another computer with a different DVD drive. It does not matter if that computer meets the minimum specifications: you are seeing if the install completes successfully. There were initially limited installations available for the Bioshock DVD but those limitations have long since been removed on the server side so there are absolutely no worries at all about any number of installations you may perform with one disc. However, the disc is still required in the computer to actually play the game

If the installation succeeds on another computer, bring the disc back to your original computer and without trying to reinstall it simply go to your Start menu and under the computer right click the DVD drive while the Bioshock disc is in it and choose "explore." When that opens select *all* the files on the disc and simply try to copy them somewhere, anywhere, onto your hard drive. If you get any errors during this copy process and the disc installed successfully on a different computer then it is almost certainly your DVD drive. If you do not get any errors and the disc installed successfully on another computer that would not indicate a problem with the DVD drive itself.

If all the hardware checks out: there are visible scratches on the disc and it gives the same error when installing on a different computer then, again, you can try a commercial disc repair product. Also, in this case you may qualify for a replacement disc. Use either the US or Canadian contact information available on this: Page. Ask them if you qualify for a replacement disc and they will discuss it with you from there.

Now, if the disc both installs on a different computer and copying all the files using your DVD drive to your hard drive produces no errors then it may be a problem with the software of the installation itself. The installer, as it is, on the disc is a standard installer so it really should not be with that. However, if there is an unusual change in the settings of your computers Windows install that - once everything else has checked out - may be the culprit. If that is the case, again, after all the hardware checks: then your best bet is to contact e-mail support using the addresses also found on the page I linked to. Use the contents of this post as a checklist to explain to them everything you've already done to make sure it isn't a hardware fault.

Please post back with the results of whichever thing to try here produces the result which would narrow it down.

So I was looking over my disc, and it is horribly scratched and ruined. I don't think it can be fixed. Is there somewhere I can download the game and use the CD key from the box to play the game?

No sorry there is not. There are digital distributions of Bioshock but the retail key cannot be entered into their systems. The retail key is always for a disc and a disc is always required. Please do contact the support numbers. I don't know the actual conditions but in the general, just from being around here a while, I believe the conditions are fairly liberal. You may qualify for a replacement disc.

Whatever happens, please - if you can - come back and let us know the results.