Thread: All mods load fine except mods I make myself

All mods load fine except mods I make myself

Every forum I read of people having problems getting mods to work seems to not be relevant. I make the mod exactly like the video on youtube / guides posted in forums. It's the simplest of mods because it's just an update. I set the property to update database on mod activated. It's properly saved in the MOD folder. It shows no errors when I run the debug. It shows perfectly in the mod list in the game. It shows it loads along with the other mods. I start the game by clicking "Single Player" without hitting the back button. All other mods I have loaded (not many, just like 4-5) load and work perfectly. None of them have anything to do with the changes I'm looking to make so shouldn't interfere. But for some odd reason, my mod changes don't work.

They are as follows:

#1. Changing the happiness from Meritocracy from 1 happiness to 3 happiness. The original setting was 100, not sure why it was 100, so I'm assuming to make it 3 happiness per city connected to the capital, it would be 300.
    #2. Changing the happiness from Military Caste social policy from 1 to 2 when having a garrisoned unit in a city.

I play deity on single large land masses with domination only victory condition and the relentless effort by the AI to settle cities between my cities forces me to either remain at war with everyone 24/7 to keep the settlers from entering my territory or settle / puppet more cities. And I'm tired of dealing with the overzealous happiness penalties put in place by going wide.

Here's the code:

<GameData>
    <Policies>
    <Update>
    <Set HappinessPerTradeRoute="300"></Set>
    <Where Type="POLICY_MERITOCRACY"></Where>
    </Update>
    </Policies>

<Policies>
    <Update>
    <Set HappinessPerGarrisonedUnit="2"></Set>
    <Where Type="POLICY_MILITARY_CASTE"></Where>
    </Update>
    </Policies>

</GameData>

So what could the problem be? I'm not getting any error messages. I've tried this mod on saved games and starting new ones. Nothing.

I'm running Win 8.1 and G&K. I tried disabling G&K and still nothing.

I even tried making the exact same mod in the video (the one where he raises colosseum happiness from 2 to 3) and that mod didn't work either. I know it's 2015 and much of the guides and stuff were made years ago, but there's gotta be some simple adjustment, I just can't find any updated references that offer a solution.

Two things to try.
    First, make sure your mod is the only one activated when you start the game (and of course start the game via the MODS menu).
    Second, check the database.log file in the logs folder in My Documents/My Games/Sid Meiers Civilization V
    That should give you a hint on what's going wrong with the updates.
    “If you are involved in a game, everything ends up being a set of trade-offs. Anything in a game is a sacrifice of things not in the game.” --Gabe Newell

Playing Firaxis games and helping out in the Official 2K Forums!
    My Blog: donald23.nl
    Steam profile: donald23

Thanks, I checked the log file and I see no mention of the mod or properties of the code I put in so I'm not sure what to look for.

It's way too big to post on here so I'll just give you a sample of pretty much all of what it looks like:

[67603.531] columns StrategicViewType, TileType are not unique
    [67603.531] While executing - 'INSERT INTO ArtDefine_StrategicView(StrategicViewType, TileType, Asset) VALUES(?,?,?)'
    [67605.671] columns Language, Tag are not unique
    [67605.671] While executing - 'insert into Language_DE_DE('Tag', 'Text') values (?, ?);'
    [67605.671] In XMLSerializer while inserting row into table insert into Language_DE_DE('Tag', 'Text') with values (TXT_KEY_BUILDING_ALHAMBRA, Alhambra, ).
    [67605.671] In XMLSerializer while updating table Language_DE_DE from file Assets\DLC\Expansion\Gameplay\XML\Text\DE_DE\CIV5G ameTextInfos_Buildings_Expansion.xml.
    [67605.671] While executing - 'insert into Language_en_US('Tag', 'Text', 'Gender') values (?, ?, ?);'
    [67605.671] In XMLSerializer while inserting row into table insert into Language_en_US('Tag', 'Text', 'Gender') with values (TXT_KEY_BUILDING_ALHAMBRA, Alhambra, neuter:an, ).
    [67605.671] In XMLSerializer while updating table Language_en_US from file Assets\DLC\Expansion\Gameplay\XML\Text\en_US\CIV5G ameTextInfos_Buildings_Expansion.xml.
    [67605.671] While executing - 'insert into Language_ES_ES('Tag', 'Text', 'Gender', 'Plurality') values (?, ?, ?, ?);'
    [67605.671] In XMLSerializer while inserting row into table insert into Language_ES_ES('Tag', 'Text', 'Gender', 'Plurality') with values (TXT_KEY_BUILDING_ALHAMBRA, Alhambra|Alhambras, feminine|feminine, 1|2, ).
    [67605.671] In XMLSerializer while updating table Language_ES_ES from file Assets\DLC\Expansion\Gameplay\XML\Text\ES_ES\CIV5G ameTextInfos_Buildings_Expansion.xml.
    [67605.671] While executing - 'insert into Language_FR_FR('Tag', 'Text', 'Gender', 'Plurality') values (?, ?, ?, ?);'
    [67605.671] In XMLSerializer while inserting row into table insert into Language_FR_FR('Tag', 'Text', 'Gender', 'Plurality') with values (TXT_KEY_BUILDING_ALHAMBRA, Alhambra, feminine:vowel, 1|2, ).
    [67605.671] In XMLSerializer while updating table Language_FR_FR from file Assets\DLC\Expansion\Gameplay\XML\Text\FR_FR\CIV5G ameTextInfos_Buildings_Expansion.xml.

It goes on and on with entries just like the above. Then at the very bottom, it reads:

-- SQLite Memory Statistics --
    Memory Usage:
    [Cur] [Max]
    Malloc: 5597664 42135848
    PageCache: 6 12
    LookAside: 0 0
    Scratch: 0 1

Static Buffer Overflows:
    [TooLarge] [NoSpace]
    PageCache: 5219088 38680992
    Scratch: 0 0

Largest Allocations:
    Malloc: 131072
    PageCache: 1172
    Scratch: 6640

Prepared Statements:
    Current: 6
    ------------------------------
    [67617.062] Validating Foreign Key Constraints...
    [67617.062] Invalid Reference on ArtDefine_Landmarks.LayoutHandler - "SPECIAL" does not exist in ArtDefine_LandmarkTypes
    [67617.062] Invalid Reference on ArtDefine_Landmarks.LayoutHandler - "SPECIAL" does not exist in ArtDefine_LandmarkTypes
    [67618.250] Failed Validation.
    [67618.781]
    Memory Usage:
    [Cur] [Max]
    Malloc: 5598840 42135848

Static Buffer Overflows:
    [TooLarge] [NoSpace]
    PageCache: 5220264 38680992

Largest Allocations:

Prepared Statements:
    Current: 6
    [67955.140] Validating Foreign Key Constraints...
    [67955.140] Invalid Reference on ArtDefine_Landmarks.LayoutHandler - "SPECIAL" does not exist in ArtDefine_LandmarkTypes
    [67955.140] Invalid Reference on ArtDefine_Landmarks.LayoutHandler - "SPECIAL" does not exist in ArtDefine_LandmarkTypes
    [67956.328] Failed Validation.
    [67956.875]
    Memory Usage:
    [Cur] [Max]
    Malloc: 5725632 42135848

Static Buffer Overflows:
    [TooLarge] [NoSpace]
    PageCache: 5315520 38680992

Largest Allocations:

Prepared Statements:
    Current: 12
    [68021.250] no such column: Type
    [68021.250] In Query - select * from Natural_Wonder_Placement where Type = ? LIMIT 1

This is with G&K activated, but no mods other than the happiness one I made using a file name: Happiness_ICS.xml

This is the row you need:
    [68021.250] no such column: Type

You have to update queries in your mod, which reference a column Type. That column doesn't exist and thus the mod doesn't do anything. At least it doesn't exist in the place it's looking.

I suggest you try this code:
    Code:
    <GameData>
      <Policies>
        <Update>
          <Where Type="POLICY_MERITOCRACY" />
          <Set HappinessPerTradeRoute="300" />
        </Update>
      </Policies>

<Policies>
        <Update>
          <Where Type="POLICY_MILITARY_CASTE" />
          <Set HappinessPerGarrisonedUnit="2" />
        </Update>
      </Policies>
    </GameData>
    What I think goes wrong, is your combination of two types of XML formatting. Putting the where statement and set statement inside the tags can work, but I think only if you close the statement directly.
    “If you are involved in a game, everything ends up being a set of trade-offs. Anything in a game is a sacrifice of things not in the game.” --Gabe Newell

I originally had the code that way except without a space between the closing " and the /. This time I did it exactly like yours with the space and still not working, still getting the same log. This is one puzzle I never thought would be this challenging. I bet it's something really simple, I just don't know what to try next.

hmm, that code should work.

One thing I thought you mentioned, but actually didn't. Did you create an action so that the mod actually loads the update XML file?

This is the dialog you have to do to get the XML file actually loaded into the database:

And have you checked this guide: http://kael.civfanatics.net/files/ModdersGuide.pdf
    Although outdated on a few things, the basics, like XML stuff is still accurate.

Yes I did that, except obviously the xml file is the one that I created. Everything that was done in the video HERE is exactly step by step what I did and everything worked except for the fact that the change in game never happens. Again, all other mods load fine, just any I make don't. Of all the people who mod, it's just odd that I seem to be the only one having this problem. Other people who have this problem do things like hitting 'back' to go to the main menu to start a game instead of hitting 'single player' immediately after loading the mods, but I'm not doing that.

Is there possibly some other way like using SQL or something to make these changes? Changing the xml files in the game aren't doing the trick as others have also experienced.

These are simple line change updates, not adding any buildings or units or making any significant complex changes, so I was hoping stuff like this would be fairly easy to do one way or another.

Did you ever get your MODs to work? I am having the same exact problem. Thanks.

My problem is related to this. This is my first mod, and I am trying to establish a starting scenario. When I go to load the mod, it is not on the list, but my map does show up in the advanced settings. When I select my map, it gives me the option to Load Scenario in Game set up. When I do, advanced set up options switches off, and the characters from my scenario populate. At the start of the game though, it is still a randomly generated map, with out the cities and units I have built in mod buddy.

Who can help me sort this out???

I've tried the advice from various threads, and so far nothing is working. The advice that has got me the closest is below:

BillyPlod
    09-30-2010, 02:43 PM
    This may help -

Couple of things: -
    It appears that the Maps you create need to be the exact size in terms of Hexes in the X, Y axis as the predefined Tiny, Small, Standard etc that are available in the game otherwise when you "publish the Scenario" the map shows up highlighted in RED. In addition, is unusable.
    I think I’ve seen that the map sizes are defined in a game file and using a different size map from those predefined will not work.

This works for me – for a Scenario using the standard rules.
    Game loaded in default directory – Steam installed – and run at least once to create “Sid Meier’s Civilization 5” directory structure under “MY GAMES”
    Mod Tool loaded in default directory – Steam installed”.

Load the Game and decide on map size – other parameters do not matter. SAVE MAP using option in SAVE GAME, dialogue.
    MAP is save in MAPS directory under “Sid Meier’s Civilization 5” directory

EXIT GAME
    LOAD – World builder
    Edit map etc… and Scenario parameters. DO NOT SCALE.
    SAVE MAP.

Open ModBuddy
    Select - FILE – NEW – PROJECT
    In the NEW PROJECT WINDOW, select Map Pack
    Fill in the form – NEXT
    At MAPS – ADD your MAP from the place you saved it.
    CLICK FINISH.

THEN SELECT “BUILD”
    This adds the standard info and – if you are using the default directories copies your completed “MOD” to the MODS directory under the “Sid Meier’s Civilization 5” directory – and creates a directory with your Mods name.

LOAD GAME
    Select Mods.
    ACCEPT
    Browse Mods – you should see your mod “name” – ensure radio button is GREEN and ticked.
    BACK to SET UP GAME
    Click MAPS
    Scroll to your map name – if it’s RED the map will not play – otherwise select map – TICK the load Scenario button and
    START SENARIO.