Thread: XCOM pen & paper RPG

XCOM pen & paper RPG

Hey! I'm a huge fan of XCOM and of pen & paper RPGs. Few days ago, I though about how great the XCOM setting would be for a PnP RPG so I jotted down few ideas and wrote a XCOM rpg.

I'm using the excellent, fast, easy and elegant Freeform Universal RPG game system by Nathan Russell. The system is available for free if you head over here :
    http://nathanrussell.net/peril-planet/#tabs-622-0-0

You can find the XCOM hack I've made on the fanmade FUrpg yahoo page right here :
    http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/fanmadefurpg/

You can also use this direct link : XCOM FU hack

Feel free to comment on here or on the fanmade page!

Personally, I think the game is more suited to a tabletop wargame. For the new game, could even make it similar in rules to the computer game, as the complexities that are hard to handle on the table-top are smoothed out.

I suppose RPG could work for some sort of special missions team, doing missions of a different sort to those in the game.

Fear not, I'm working on another skirmish style game that isn't XCOM RAW but I design it keeping in mind that you can just change the theme and have XCOM tactical battles with it

I always thought Spycraft 1.0 would be a decent fit for X-Com, since they have a build in mission budget rules. Also one of the better automatic weapons rule I've seen for a d20 product (Yeah, lets make it a DC 15 reflex! Wait...why can't I hit anything?)

I hate d20 so it won't happen :P

Quote Originally Posted by Nosmirc View Post
    I always thought Spycraft 1.0 would be a decent fit for X-Com, since they have a build in mission budget rules. Also one of the better automatic weapons rule I've seen for a d20 product (Yeah, lets make it a DC 15 reflex! Wait...why can't I hit anything?)
    Hi Nosmirc

Spycraft 2.0, is supposedly a good update of the original Spycraft 1.0. And must admit was one of the systems I thought of when considering running an X-COM rpg.

Other systems to consider:-

Conspiracy X by Eden Studios
    GURPS by Steve Jackson Games
    Savage Worlds by Pinnacle Entertainment
    Stargate SG1: Fantastic Frontiers by AEG
    Spycraft 2.0 by Crafty Games

Updated the hack. Use the links on OP to download.

I've added some specifications on Health & Morale, mostly about how to heal and also what happens once you reach "Panicked" or "Death" condition (in fact, I don't like the idea that you stop playing your character and have to wait until the group gets back to base before resuming play so I've included ideas on how to keep playing your character even if he's condemned to death or insanity). I've also expanded on gear and technology, since equipment is an important part of the XCOM setting. I've added ways to manage the dystopia that exists between highly advanced alien technology and human's and how new scientific breaktroughts affect XCOM operators' gear.

Again, feel free to discuss, suggest, comment, or rant! :P

Quote Originally Posted by Oathsworn View Post
    Hi Nosmirc

Spycraft 2.0, is supposedly a good update of the original Spycraft 1.0. And must admit was one of the systems I thought of when considering running an X-COM rpg.
    I've heard that, but damn...that book is friggin' huge...personally, I felt they went way overboard with the amount of rules they put into 2.0...it's literally twice as thick as 1.0.

Besides, they took out the mission budget rules in 2.0, which I thought was an incredible concept.

Quote Originally Posted by Nosmirc View Post
    I've heard that, but damn...that book is friggin' huge...personally, I felt they went way overboard with the amount of rules they put into 2.0...it's literally twice as thick as 1.0.

Besides, they took out the mission budget rules in 2.0, which I thought was an incredible concept.
    Hi Nosmirc

I didn't realise they had removed the budget rules in 2.0, only ever played in 1.0. And since the style of game pretty much would depend on budgets, seems a shame.

Well, in my hack there's no budget or economy. All this is managed "behind the scene" as narrative and the GM simply inform the players when there's a new scientific breakthrough or new piece of gear have been discovered/produced.

The game is more focused on the XCOM operators and their missions not, like in the game, in the management of a worldwide organisation. I leave that to the computer game since it's way better to handle all types of variables and numbers.

I wouldn't say it was really an economy sort of system. It would be more akin to the equip screen in X-Com, except instead of weight being the limitation, it was how many budget points you had allotted to you, which increased as you gained levels, as well as varying by the urgency of the mission.

As for the organizational management, I read an X-Com campaign someone ran on Enworld a while back where the players got to choose what got researched, what got built, etc, through interacting with the base personel between missions.

Would love to hear if someone else also does something like this, my friends always run tabletop rp games and such and i would be really intreseted to pass this on to them and have a go! I have only really done vampire the requiem, shadowrun, paranoia and some star trek ones before as I usually larp rather than use pen and paper. Downloaded the xcom hack pdf and will give it a look at! Very awesome idea

I've updated the document.

I added a sample scenario made out of 3 missions, fixed and added a few things

I'm also now using a SugarSync account to host the file. Use this link to always get the lastest version : https://www.sugarsync.com/pf/D7404464_65717756_60552

Quote Originally Posted by SamBC View Post
    Personally, I think the game is more suited to a tabletop wargame. For the new game, could even make it similar in rules to the computer game, as the complexities that are hard to handle on the table-top are smoothed out.

I suppose RPG could work for some sort of special missions team, doing missions of a different sort to those in the game.
    You can use Necromunda with a few house rules for that. You can fit it into any setting. Looting territory rules becomes scavenging of the incursion areas, and you match some weapons with their fitting computer game counterparts.

The level of detail would be very customizable if you used the GURPS system... I used to play it a lot back in my school days... It is very capable of handling genre crossovers. I ran an autoduel/cyberpunk/superhero game for years that worked surprisingly well. GURPS has great rules for horror related events too.

There's already a fan-made RPG system, from 1998. It's rule are heavily based on the mechanics of the original X-COM (from 1994). It addresses most of the problems of a game-to-RPG conversion by creating a more complex alien threat, so the game master can create many kinds of plots using the alien invasion as premise.

The only issue is this system is in portuguese (it was made by Brazilian fans). But is very solid and pays a huge respect to the X-COM legacy. If you want, I can send you the PDF of the book (151 pages).

Quote Originally Posted by fikoantunes View Post
    If you want, I can send you the PDF of the book (151 pages).
    Here's a link with the X-COM RPG system:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/0dihbrd0di...itado.pdf?dl=0

Personally, I would find directly mapping the mechanical rules of the OG would make too crunchy a game for my taste.