Thread: For lag/sluggish play issues..try this fix

Exclamation For lag/sluggish play issues..try this fix

Posted by Dennis Shirk at CFC:

Could you please try something for me, and let me know if it corrects your problem?

1. Open up your config.ini (My Documents/My Games/Sid Meier's Civilization V/)
    2. Look for the following line: EnableGameCoreThreading = 1
    3. Change it to: EnableGameCoreThreading = 0

Thanks, and let me know.

----------------------------------------------

Many players there have praised this thread as helping with lag, interface sluggishness, assigning citizens to tiles, unit cycling etc. Give it a shot.

-Mark

This is definitely working for a lot of people.

Add in 'turn off your mods and try it without them' as well as 'verify cache' and we likely have most of the issues dealt with.

Note:

If you have a Single core or dual core system, then

is actually the most important thing to do. Quad (and above) core CPU users seem to be running better with it set to 1, while others are not.

Quote Originally Posted by MadDjinn View Post
    Quad (and above) core CPU users seem to be running better with it set to 1, while others are not.
    That makes sense as old CPUs are not optimised for multithreaded processes; also explains why some people had no problems and others can't play the game.

this is also for multiplayer online?

Quote Originally Posted by Hellogoodbye123 View Post
    this is also for multiplayer online?
    obviously - The game core runs everything

This is definitely working for a lot of people.

Add in 'turn off your mods and try it without them' as well as 'verify cache' and we likely have most of the issues dealt with.

Note:

If you have a Single core or dual core system, then

is actually the most important thing to do. Quad (and above) core CPU users seem to be running better with it set to 1, while others are not.
    Sounds like you've got the answer. I have a 6 core system and had no problems with the patch. However, since 2K Gregg suggested old saved games would cause a problem, I deleted all my old saved games manually without starting Civ V before the patch came down.

I use Windows 7 and my saved games are located in: User \ My Documents \ My Games \ Sid Meier's Civilization V \ Saves \ Single.

I like the fact we can now turn off the intro movie from the settings and I notice the AI has improved its strategy. Its simply a much better game now.

I never used any DLC's but notice I do have "Mongols DLC" available. I presume "God & Kings DLC" will be in that same location by next Tuesday. I also never use mods. I suggest all prior mods should be uninstalled. New mods fitting the patch are now available in Steam.

If folks are still having problems, one way out is to use "Delete Local Content" by right clicking Civ V in your Steam Library and then reinstall the game from scratch. That way you get a clean install just in case old saved games messed up your game initialization files if they were present when the patch came down.

Finally, if you've never before opened your config.ini file, be sure to back up the old one by copying it to another location and renaming it to config.old. Otherwise, one key punch error and new problems could surface. Use Notepad rather than Word to open the config.ini file or you could mess it up totally.
    Last edited by SirMaru; 06-15-2012 at 06:21 PM.

I did this and on standard size map, standard civs and CS the 1st turn takes 15 seconds to complete. This is seeming slow to me for a 1st turn. What are other people's thoughts on this? Maybe I am just not remembering correctly the speed of my game.

Edit: So I am running a dual core and I just moved it back to "= 1" and the turn times are down by 5 seconds now. Good to go.

What for for a Mac?

Specifically a Mac OS X?

The patch hasn't been released for Mac yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Shark2346 View Post
    I did this and on standard size map, standard civs and CS the 1st turn takes 15 seconds to complete. This is seeming slow to me for a 1st turn. What are other people's thoughts on this? Maybe I am just not remembering correctly the speed of my game.

Edit: So I am running a dual core and I just moved it back to "= 1" and the turn times are down by 5 seconds now. Good to go.
    The first turn will always be a bit longer, just due to every AI needing to settle their capital and start choosing what to do, along with every city state settling their city and starting their processes.

The first turn will always be a bit longer, just due to every AI needing to settle their capital and start choosing what to do, along with every city state settling their city and starting their processes.
    Yeah I mean my turns were shorter. I got the turn times down to 9 seconds at the game start by just adjusting settings. Changing back to the "= 1" brought it down by 5 seconds and then putting quick movements on for SP subtracted another 5 seconds from the turn times. So now I am about at 10ish seconds per turn processing in the early game.

Anyone have a solution to my turns taking 5x as long as they used to. They used to take 2 seconds to go by, now they take 10 seconds (and I'm still in the ancient era)

I've already done as said, but turns are still taking 5x as long for me.

Quote Originally Posted by MagnaCaesar View Post
    Anyone have a solution to my turns taking 5x as long as they used to. They used to take 2 seconds to go by, now they take 10 seconds (and I'm still in the ancient era)

I've already done as said, but turns are still taking 5x as long for me.
    What are computer specs? and I am sure your times are all exaggerations of the truth.

Solves a multitude of problems

Quote Originally Posted by The Mad Russian View Post

-Mark
    Wow, this has changed the game from nearly unplayable (on my older dual core machine) to zippy and enjoyable. It also fixed a problem I had (and others also reported) with distortion in the sound that builds and gets worse as game play continues. AND it put an end to some seemingly random crashes. Many thanks for posting. Really, performance was so, so bad I was ready to give up, but now I'm a fan.

Tried it. Didn't make a bit of difference for me.
    Lag time depends on the scenario, but generally it's between 25-60 turns.
    I'd stopped playing (returned to 4) for a long time, but thought I'd give it a shot. I'm pretty disappointed. It can't run a whole game from beginning to end, so why bother starting one?

Quote Originally Posted by Etakeh View Post
    Tried it. Didn't make a bit of difference for me.
    Lag time depends on the scenario, but generally it's between 25-60 turns.
    I'd stopped playing (returned to 4) for a long time, but thought I'd give it a shot. I'm pretty disappointed. It can't run a whole game from beginning to end, so why bother starting one?
    You might be able to get some help here. Just start a thread in the support section of this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by donald23 View Post
    You might be able to get some help here. Just start a thread in the support section of this forum.
    For those still with this issue there is a fix available here - http://www.reddit.com/r/civ/comments..._lag_on_large/

I'd be dubious about downloading binary patches from anonymous third parties.

Quote Originally Posted by SamBC View Post
    I'd be dubious about downloading binary patches from anonymous third parties.
    Yes, I'm sure you are dubious. Do you have another solution? Maybe you can ask what the computers specs are, or advise that we turn the machine off and on again. Oh I know, maybe we should not play with so many CIVs or on such a large map. Those are the "moderator" solutions.
    Meanwhile, here is someone who took their own time to fix a problem with the game, a problem that makes multiplayer UNPLAYABLE.
    Here's an idea: if anonymous third parties are so dubious maybe you can direct us to an official link that fixes the problem.
    Oh yeah, no solutions here, just aspersions.

Quote Originally Posted by Mim the Petty View Post
    Yes, I'm sure you are dubious. Do you have another solution? Maybe you can ask what the computers specs are, or advise that we turn the machine off and on again. Oh I know, maybe we should not play with so many CIVs or on such a large map. Those are the "moderator" solutions.
    Meanwhile, here is someone who took their own time to fix a problem with the game, a problem that makes multiplayer UNPLAYABLE.
    Here's an idea: if anonymous third parties are so dubious maybe you can direct us to an official link that fixes the problem.
    Oh yeah, no solutions here, just aspersions.
    You might want to keep your tone down. I still have to encounter the first person that has severe lag issues, plays on maps that are fit for their system and couldn't solve them without the third party binary solution.

Downloading such patches is in general a very bad idea, as virusses, trojans and backdoors will be very difficult to notice that way.
    “If you are involved in a game, everything ends up being a set of trade-offs. Anything in a game is a sacrifice of things not in the game.” --Gabe Newell

Playing Firaxis games and helping out in the Official 2K Forums!
    My Blog: donald23.nl
    Steam profile: donald23

Quote Originally Posted by The Mad Russian View Post

Could you please try something for me, and let me know if it corrects your problem?

Thanks, and let me know.

----------------------------------------------

Many players there have praised this thread as helping with lag, interface sluggishness, assigning citizens to tiles, unit cycling etc. Give it a shot.

-Mark
    There is another fix I found in this article to fix Civilization V Lag

There are couple of things in there you might want to try because it helped me.