Thread: GOTW: anyone miss it yet?

GOTW: anyone miss it yet?

Hey,

While not strictly strategy... Im trying to post in the most relevant place for former GOTW players.

Last night it struck me I really felt like playing maybe not as obsessively as in the past though

Anyone else? Is Xbox GOTW still running? Hope all former players are well and have found something new to obsess over

Quote Originally Posted by m_smith View Post
    Is Xbox GOTW still running?
    Yes, no problem. I'm still playing on Chieftain (Dom only) and also 15-20 minutes for Deity to check what is possible. Lately Gaias found more skill and beat Innout at Cultural (few times, 500 BC vs 100 AD, about 1000 BC was possible for me). Regularly i'm playing Hitman Absolution contracts - enough strategy for me (similar game to Civ and Lemmings).

Lately 1 map was really good - Mongols, island, i was close to finish GOTW Cultural for Mongols (500-700 AD was possible, 1000 AD did Innout) but new featured contracts came, so i back to H:A immediately.

GOTW is still running on Xbox if that's your question.

Regarding my own playing of CivRev, I've been playing a lot of Mass Effect 3 & Diablo 3. I have occasionally played King GOTW (or MP H2H) but the only GOTW that really interests me now is a Gentlemen's Club Challenge with a single start, no restarts allowed. I enjoyed those the most at this point in my CivRev journey. Unfortunately the GCC has fallen to the wayside & no one has really taken up the torch (myself included).

best regards...

hey K! how you been mate?

seems like your Gotw skills are still sharp! Good to hear Gaias still battling away not sure if I remember innout.

Maybe ill find a copy and see if my old xbox360 still works! I think its HD was having probs...

hey Pedal, yeah GCC sounds interesting.. but I can see how it may cause frustration also at times due to the random nature of the game. true all players have to deal with this but I know many times I've had a solid strategy from the start and one silly mistake can result in a quicker time! that being said a good player will generally always come out on top against one with lesser experience in spite of this...

When we did GCC's, it was a different player getting the top score every week usually & none of the traditional top scorers dominated.

I think this made it more challenging & inclusive simultaneously, typically a difficult thing to achieve in practice. I just prefer that variety vs. always seeing RickWJ (only old timers in GOTW will have played against him) or nowadays Kadera at the #1 spot. At the same time, it is different when you've at least been #1 one time competing against everyone vs. having never done it. So I can understand those who would like to claim a #1 spot with no restrictions before trying something with more intrinsic variety (GCC, etc...). At this point, the number of players who play GOTW competitively is considerably smaller than back in the original days. It's tough in most games to keep the same level of involvement 7 years post-introduction. CivRev has done better than most I think.

best regards...

Yeah I agree with your comments.

Looking back I realize I miss the interaction with other GOTW players as much if not more than the game!

This is one aspect I overlooked. The strategy of GOTW itself can be as deep as one wants and this aspect fosters good community and discussion with other players. Not only strategy itself was interesting but how peoples involvement and reasoning for how they played also.

I remember Monday morning getting up and copying Nog's map and getting a few games in after work. It took me a while before I spent time on my opening (as I just wanted to play the game) but I gradually focused more on it. Then after proudly bringing up my opening the next day being told by Kadera it was one of a few opening's he could see.... and one of them was cheating

You see people at different points in their relationship with the game and how it is reflected in the strategy and the way they play. Also at times in the frustration (or lack of) expressed at certain elements in the game.

Anyway. It would be great to hear as much or as little from any GOTW players past or present about their Civ Crack experience

Also.. Why no more Gotw strategy Threads!? I would have had some fun reading through what id missed out on....

1700 BC Cultural V.

This week i'm back on Deity and i set new record 1700 BC Cultural V, Americans. 1800 BC was possible with GB (from SoC or 500g), i tried many times for 35 minutes, about 20 GP and 0 GB (with 2 GB from SoC 1900 BC Economic was possible but even 1 GB = mission almost impossible).

I also did 2800 BC Dom with Knights, 1st run, not perfect, 2900 BC was possible with March + 2x Blitz.
    BTW. we played this map few years ago (as Chinese). Mainland is too small so expanding is slow, only 7 barbs and 5 huts.

Weekly spoiler:
    3800 BC settle next to barbs, GE for 50g
    3600 BC Tripoli + IW + Religion, caravan to Paris, sell Rel
    3500 BC 100g settlers
    3300 BC Paris + Pottery, sell techs
    3200 BC CoL from hut
    3100 BC Literacy from hut
    {for Dom: 3000 BC Knights form hut instead of Literacy, 3100 BC was needed for more cities, closer to AI and more science to unlock Feudalism}
    3000 BC 250g from 7cog
    2800 BC Ind from hut
    2700 BC Democracy, Corp from hut, about 55 cities (later 69)
    2200 BC production city is ready 114 hammers / 1 turn
    1700 BC Cultural V.

Kadera? That was absolutely "KRYPTIK", but I'm a new guy - I just got the game two days ago.

Frankly, I'm so sleep deprived from all the play throughs I have done because I just couldn't let go of my controller I have felt frankly drunk for the last day or so...

I think at this point what I wanna do is try like (H) to get a score of some kind at all the levels on the GOTW until I sort of "Get in the Groove" with it. "DEITY" is the one level I just can't seem to survive at.

SO FAR!

*I have launched a "GOTW" thread for the coming week. I hope to read you there
    Conventional thinking is for people who don't pack their own parachutes

Quote Originally Posted by m_smith View Post
    Also.. Why no more Gotw strategy Threads!? I would have had some fun reading through what id missed out on....
    I'm back on xbox mate!