Thread: No option to puppet cities post-patch.

No option to puppet cities post-patch.

Per title. Is anyone else having this problem? Happened in both an old save and in a brand new game.

You're not alone, see this thread: http://forums.2kgames.com/showthread...matic-annexing

This problem may have started with the newest patch. This is most likely a bug in the game.

Disgraceful.

It seems intermittent. One city I get no option, the next I do. Then no option again. Weird.

We are having problems reproducing this one. Do you know how to use the tuner?

Yeah I just started getting this problem after the patch last night. Every time I took a city over it would just automatically annex it. No box would come up at all asking me what I wanted to do. Really annoying because I NEVER annex cities; I hate having to keep choosing what they should build.

Anyway @bigden what is this tuner thing you're talking about?

He means the Fire Tuner I think. Essentially what the Civ game editor used to be (in previous incarnations). A 'cheat box' / 'create your own map' thing, right? If that's what you're talking about, bigden, then...

No, I don't know how to use it. Seemed needlessly complicated to learn how. Sorry! I can send you a save file if you like, though.

I cannot reproduce using an old save from before the patch. I could puppet cities just fine.

I was just playing my Dutch game when Austria and I teamed up against the lovable Genghis when I took one of his cities, my troop walked in to garrison it, then the choice came up to Annex, Puppet, Raze, etc. New patch, DX 10-11, only mod was InfoAddict v.19 and everything was fine. I've had little to no issues with the patch and only a couple of bugs that I've seen since launch two years ago. Other than that, everything's peachy.

Started another game and still getting this problem. Are you guys at least working on this? Its a major problem for me because I have no job so I play civ every day all day and this issue is affecting my quality of life! If it helps any I'm running windows 7 pro with Intel i7 920 quad, 6 gig ram, and gtx 470 with dx 11 running game in 1920x1080 windowed mode so I can switch between monitors easier. Please get some pros on this.

Quote Originally Posted by builder680 View Post
    Per title. Is anyone else having this problem? Happened in both an old save and in a brand new game.
    I'm having the same issue. Since the patch most cities are automatically annexing and not giving me any option. Loading old saves or new games.

Confirm that bug.
    When i load save from turn before i take city, bug doesen't exist and i can select option when take enemy city.

Hi all,
    I've updated to the patch the 1st and until now I had NO problem with puppetting cities (and I puppetted al LOT of them in my previous game).

Now I started a new pangea, 8 players, and I attacked a city which become automatically annexed without prompting anything.

That's strange since until today it worked (with the patch).

Probably is some configuration that changed between my previous game and this one.

The problem is that the difference between the two games can be anything, i.e. the problem may be due to some social policy, or wonder or else...

Quote Originally Posted by R3DKn16h7 View Post
    Hi all,
    I've updated to the patch the 1st and until now I had NO problem with puppetting cities (and I puppetted al LOT of them in my previous game).

Now I started a new pangea, 8 players, and I attacked a city which become automatically annexed without prompting anything.

That's strange since until today it worked (with the patch).

Probably is some configuration that changed between my previous game and this one.

The problem is that the difference between the two games can be anything, i.e. the problem may be due to some social policy, or wonder or else...
    I noticed someone up above playing with Info Addict, are the rest of you playing with any mods, or are these clean games? Thanks much.

This particular (currently playing) game (New game, post-patch, G/K, plus Korea) is being played without mods. I had just uninstalled several of them (waiting for them to be updated by the authors) before starting this game.

The old save (which also shared this error) was a game I had started pre-patch. After loading the save post-patch, I got the error in that one as well. That game, which I quit playing after a bit and started the new one above, did have mods. These were:

Info Addict
    RED Modpack
    Smooth Modpack
    Improved Demographics

It just happened to me as well.
    It's weird because in the first 2 games I never had this problem, now on my third game I can't puppet cities anymore.

I wasn't playing with any mods, just plain Civ5 G&K.

I've been getting it in games with no mods and in games using info addict 19. I have noticed that if I save the game and then load it again that it will let me puppet again for a little while but after a few cities it goes back to just annexing everything right away. Its a good thing I only play on super easy difficulty because if the game was set any harder my civ happiness would be through the floor.

Another bug that may not be new... Submarines have the option to take a land bombardment promotion, but they can't (and shouldn't, imo) bombard land units. This option should be removed.

Another bug that may not be new... Submarines have the option to take a land bombardment promotion, but they can't (and shouldn't, imo) bombard land units. This option should be removed.
    Long-standing. It's to do with how combat classes are divided and thus determine what promotions can be taken. I imagine the devs are aware of this one as well.

I have had the no-puppet thing happen to me too. Also, and I think it may be related, my happiness calculations when I was capturing these cities was way off. My happiness was like 200! after capturing a bunch of cities; but when i reloaded the game it was only 74.
    I also noticed in my game that the AI did not have a problem puppeting cities.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankFore20 View Post
    I have had the no-puppet thing happen to me too. Also, and I think it may be related, my happiness calculations when I was capturing these cities was way off. My happiness was like 200! after capturing a bunch of cities; but when i reloaded the game it was only 74.
    I also noticed in my game that the AI did not have a problem puppeting cities.
    Yep when you are not given the choice to annex, puppet or raze all cities are automatically annexed and you get no happiness penalty. It's only fixed when you reload the game.

Yes, I have the same bug, in addition to the jinxing of happiness, it seems to disregard unhappiness produced by the conquered city in addition to freezing the unhappiness produced by my capital/empire. This happens both when I only have my starting city as well as when I have built additional cities before conquest.

This bug makes conquest victory easier, but the game overall less fun to play.

I had hoped it would disappear with the new expansion (Brave New World), but it didn't. So the bug is present both with all the DLC and expansions as well as everything without Brave New World.

Do you guys use keyboard shortcuts for stuff? Pretty sure that's what causes it, for whatever reason.

I had no issues puppeting cities in my last game. Started 2 nights ago and finished last night. Puppeted around 15 cities.

I am still getting this bug in all scenarios. For some reason when I capture them they are auto-annexed without my permisson.

I have all DLC + G&K, I do not have BNW however. This bug has been going on since the fall patch. This only happens to me in scenarios, partially in the Into the Renaissance one.

I also have this bug. Every single game starts fine but then get bugged after 50-100 turns. The bug is that popup windows don't appear anymore: when you meet a city state, kill a barbarian camp, conquer an enemy city, explore an ancient ruin you don't get the usual popup window.

Luckily for I also found a workaround that fixes the problem. Just press all F-keys from F1 to F7 twice. The second time you hit F7 all popups will appear and the game will proceed normally. This also works retro-actively: if you conquer a city and don't get the popup for annexing/puppeting just press the F-keys twice and the popup will appear, then you can puppet the city.

BTW this bug has been around for months, I really hoped Firaxis fixed it in BNW because is very annoying.

The original post is from february 2012 so more than a year ago, talk about thread necromancy!

I haven't experienced this bug, works fine for me with the pop-up and everything. (Civ+G&K+BNW)

Kind regards,

Low

I think some instances of it have been fixed, but not all of them. Given what I've seen of the UI system from modding, I suspect that an absolute and for all time fix would require a thorough overhaul of the UI system. It's thinking that popup dialogs are still there, when they aren't.

Quote Originally Posted by Low_K View Post
    The original post is from february 2012 so more than a year ago, talk about thread necromancy!
    Necroposting is not actually forbidden; just pointless necros. If you're resurrecting a thread because the issue in it is still current, and saying more than just "me too" or "I disagree" or such, that's fine.

Quote Originally Posted by SamBC View Post
    I think some instances of it have been fixed, but not all of them. Given what I've seen of the UI system from modding, I suspect that an absolute and for all time fix would require a thorough overhaul of the UI system. It's thinking that popup dialogs are still there, when they aren't.
    The weird things is that it only seem to happen to some people. I have this bug every single game: with mods, without mods, single player, multi player, every time. Other people never had it, not even once.

BTW if by any chance someone from Firaxis want to fix it you can contact me, I am a perfect case-study. I can reproduce the bug with just 15 minutes of normal play.

I've heard that it might depend on how you exit a dialog - if you sometimes hit escape to get out of dialogs (including, say, the tech tree or culture overview), and you get the bug, try never using escape, but only ever using the relevant button to close all dialogs.

Quote Originally Posted by SamBC View Post
    I've heard that it might depend on how you exit a dialog - if you sometimes hit escape to get out of dialogs (including, say, the tech tree or culture overview), and you get the bug, try never using escape, but only ever using the relevant button to close all dialogs.
    It makes sense. I am used to only playing with the keyboard, since Civ1. I use the mouse only when I have to.
    (BTW Civ5 is the least keybaord-friendly Civ ever, I have to use the mouse a lot while in Civ4 I almost never needed to)

People are still having this problem 8 months later ☺☺☺?

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderpie View Post
    People are still having this problem 8 months later ☺☺☺?
    Unfortunately yes.