Thread: Runtime error when clicking ANY load game

Runtime error when clicking ANY load game

So that absolutely ridiculous runtime error is STILL an issue!? I had pretty much given up on Civ V completely for years, only to come back expecting to at least be able to load a save game, and Firaxis -still- has done nothing to fix this? I tried a complete system wipe of Civ 5 and anything to do with it, including files outside of the Steam directory. I've tried downloading updates for C++. I've tried running the dx installer that's packaged with the game. The ONLY solution to this problem remains that I must restart Steam offline, meaning that I can't play multiplayer, get achievements, or use any other Steam features while playing.

Is there any fix for this garbage at all aside from the aforementioned? I can't believe I preordered this game all those years ago and -still- can't actually play it.
    Last edited by Bungdup; 05-04-2015 at 05:29 PM.

Eh? Civ5 never had and currently doesn't have an issue with loading save games.

What might give a problem is that when you try to load a save game from an earlier patch. But when saving a freshly started game, it will not have an issue loading.

Steam however can mess with that. To check, simply disable cloud synchronization for Civilization 5. Loading should then work for local files.
    “If you are involved in a game, everything ends up being a set of trade-offs. Anything in a game is a sacrifice of things not in the game.” --Gabe Newell

Playing Firaxis games and helping out in the Official 2K Forums!
    My Blog: donald23.nl
    Steam profile: donald23

I have Steam cloud off. I am not loading older saves (Hell, I can't even load one I made this morning), and actually Civ V -did- have and still -does- have issues loading saves. Trust me dude, I wouldn't be taking the time to make a post about it if it wasn't a persistent issue. Complete clean reinstall, and local saves still won't load. With or without mods. Soon as I click "Load game" either from the main menu or in another game, I get a black screen and the Windows error chime, and when I alt+tab out, I get *this* message, which is the exact same message I got trying to load save games when it first came out 5 years ago

5 years. Half a decade since this was confirmed as a major bug by developers and despite a clean re-install, I'm seeing it still isn't fixed.
    Last edited by Bungdup; 05-05-2015 at 01:39 PM.

No, what I'm trying to say, Civ5 has a loading issue on your pc. Not in general. It's not in the software, it's in either your system or a rare combination of your system with Civ5.

Have you tried turning off the Steam overlay like I suggested? I really recommend you do that.

Have you tried running the vcredist from the civilization 5 installation folder manually as an admin?

Have you tried to run the DX9 version?

If that doesn't work, you have basically two options left, post your dxdiag using pastebin.org here and/or contact 2K support at http://2kgam.es/helpme2k .
    “If you are involved in a game, everything ends up being a set of trade-offs. Anything in a game is a sacrifice of things not in the game.” --Gabe Newell

Except it's not just my PC. You ought to read the user forums on Steam. This is a huge problem that was supposed to be patched out years ago. Hell, Firaxis developers even claimed they'd patched the problem out. As the general public seems to be showing, evidently they did not.

I'm not sure what's causing this bug (seems like no one has been able to figure it out since the game's release in 2010), but all I know is that as long as I'm logged into Steam in online mode, clicking "load game" results in the above under any condition. This problem does not repeat in offline mode, but going that route locks me out of all MP functions. Like I said, I don't know what's causing it, and frankly I don't care. All I know is that I have a game I can't even play for more than one sitting at a time. There's not even a point to saving my games as they're all pretty much a lost cause after a couple hours' play session.

You recommended turning Steam Cloud off. I already stated that I have done that. Are you saying I should also disable the in-game overlay as well?

I have attempted numerous times to run both vcredist and the dx installer packaged with the game to try and fix the issue to no effect. The DX9 version does work, but looks worse than Civ IV, graphically. I'll add a dxdiag then when I get home.

Quote Originally Posted by Bungdup View Post
    Except it's not just my PC.
    I've never had a problem loading a savegame for Civ5. Not once, in over four years.

You ought to read the user forums on Steam. This is a huge problem that was supposed to be patched out years ago.
    If it was a huge problem, it would be dominating the first 2-5 pages of the Steam forums. As it's clearly not doing so, I can't see that it affects that large a portion of the playerbase.

Hell, Firaxis developers even claimed they'd patched the problem out. As the general public seems to be showing, evidently they did not.
    As a vanishingly small fraction of the general public shows, you meant to say.

I mean, look: it certainly sucks you've having a problem. But to be completely honest with you ... if I had a dollar for every time someone insisted "no it cannot possibly be MY Special Snowflake Computer of Godliness that has the problem", and a second dollar for every time it turned out their computer WAS where the problem lay ... well, let's just say it'd be ME that Presidential candidates would want to suck up to, not the Koch brothers. No lie.

[...] all I know is that as long as I'm logged into Steam in online mode, clicking "load game" results in the above under any condition. This problem does not repeat in offline mode, [...]
    Then the problem is with Steam, not Civ5. So it would seem to be a good idea to troubleshoot your Steam installation.
    -- Sean ... SteamID: GM Pax
    CPU AMD FX-8350 (8x4.00GHz); GPU NVidia GTX 970 (4GB) by EVGA; RAM 16GB DDR3-1600;
    System Drive Intel 520 SSD (240GB); Data Drive WD Green (3TB); Sound ASUS Xonar DSX.

It being online that makes the difference suggests that Steam Cloud is involved.

Quote Originally Posted by donald23 View Post
    Eh? Civ5 never had and currently doesn't have an issue with loading save games.
    Excuse me?

http://forums.2k.com/showthread.php?...ames-Conundrum

http://forums.2k.com/showthread.php?...ing-saved-game

http://forums.2k.com/showthread.php?...me-–-1-0-3-276

http://forums.2k.com/showthread.php?...-random-leader

http://forums.2k.com/showthread.php?...-to-main-menue

http://forums.2k.com/showthread.php?...load-save-game

http://forums.2k.com/showthread.php?...any-saved-game

http://forums.2k.com/showthread.php?...trying-to-load

(stopped at 10 pages of 100+)

I still currently have the following save game error: Loading multiplayer saved game bumps me to a random leader instead of the civ I was using. [[ no fix in site ]]

Quote Originally Posted by tomofnnh View Post
    I still currently have the following save game error: Loading multiplayer saved game bumps me to a random leader instead of the civ I was using. [[ no fix in site ]]
    A developer tried to help someone with that problem in one of the threads you link, but the user never responded to the dev's request for information.

And several of the other threads you linked were over 2 years old. The game has had fixes since then. Not every problem with the same symptoms (and not all of the linked threads even have that) have the same cause.

Quote Originally Posted by SamBC View Post
    A developer tried to help someone with that problem in one of the threads you link, but the user never responded to the dev's request for information.

And several of the other threads you linked were over 2 years old. The game has had fixes since then. Not every problem with the same symptoms (and not all of the linked threads even have that) have the same cause.
    Did you see the part where Donald said "never had"?

Except it's not just my PC. You ought to read the user forums on Steam. This is a huge problem that was supposed to be patched out years ago. Hell, Firaxis developers even claimed they'd patched the problem out. As the general public seems to be showing, evidently they did not.

I'm not sure what's causing this bug (seems like no one has been able to figure it out since the game's release in 2010), but all I know is that as long as I'm logged into Steam in online mode, clicking "load game" results in the above under any condition. This problem does not repeat in offline mode, but going that route locks me out of all MP functions. Like I said, I don't know what's causing it, and frankly I don't care. All I know is that I have a game I can't even play for more than one sitting at a time. There's not even a point to saving my games as they're all pretty much a lost cause after a couple hours' play session.

You recommended turning Steam Cloud off. I already stated that I have done that. Are you saying I should also disable the in-game overlay as well?

I have attempted numerous times to run both vcredist and the dx installer packaged with the game to try and fix the issue to no effect. The DX9 version does work, but looks worse than Civ IV, graphically. I'll add a dxdiag then when I get home.
    They have cloud and overlay seperated now? Anyway, yes, disable the overlay as well and try again.
    Otherwise delete the cache folder in you My Documents/My Games/Sid Meiers Civilization 5.
    Then verify your game files again.
    If you can and the error still happens, please post the APPCRASH report here.

And please contact 2K Support, as they provide official support and probably can help you more then anymore here can.

You only quote MP issues (problem here seems to be a more general loading issue as it also happens in offline mode), all old, and in all the users stopped responding, presumably because the issue was fixed.

I still stand by my point that Civ5 has no loading issues in general. Yes there are issues on specific cases and systems, but it's definitely not wide spread.

yes it does.....I've got same problem as before and now again. A completely new game, saved on very first day will NOT load and crashes my computer. CTL ALT DEL is only recourse. I also stopped playing it years ago for similar issues.

So that absolutely ridiculous runtime error is STILL an issue!? I had pretty much given up on Civ V completely for years, only to come back expecting to at least be able to load a save game, and Firaxis -still- has done nothing to fix this? I tried a complete system wipe of Civ 5 and anything to do with it, including files outside of the Steam directory. I've tried downloading updates for C++. I've tried running the dx installer that's packaged with the game. The ONLY solution to this problem remains that I must restart Steam offline, meaning that I can't play multiplayer, get achievements, or use any other Steam features while playing.

Is there any fix for this garbage at all aside from the aforementioned? I can't believe I preordered this game all those years ago and -still- can't actually play it.
    I've got same issue and history with the game

count me as ANOTHER with exactly the same problem...only now I have a brand new up to date computer with the same problem. This problem is why I joined this forum. Civ games have been my favorite, but since steam has been involved I've had issues.

Quote Originally Posted by threeeyes View Post
    count me as ANOTHER with exactly the same problem...only now I have a brand new up to date computer with the same problem. This problem is why I joined this forum. Civ games have been my favorite, but since steam has been involved I've had issues.
    Have you tried loading the auto-saves? [assuming you have auto-save enabled]

Had the same problem across two different machines, although, the game runs perfectly when Steam is offline. Completely out of ideas.

Worth a post to agree here. The only game I have to run in Steam Offline mode. Runtime error if I go to the Load screen otherwise.

Just got a new PC with I7 processor gtx 980 and have tried all the above, deleting, reinstalling, tweaking this tweaking that, clearly the 'experts' round here are all out of ideas, given up or just don't care anymore, this game is ruined!

Quote Originally Posted by mikepegg View Post
    Worth a post to agree here. The only game I have to run in Steam Offline mode. Runtime error if I go to the Load screen otherwise.
    I spent hours last night playing Civ5 only to be unable to load the game today. Checked the forums and spent 2 hours on fixes. Then I found out running Steam in Offline Mode fixed my issue as well. So, I guess I can't play online, which is the only reason I even bought the dang game. I'm pretty upset, especially when people here are trying to say that this issue isn't a problem. It's a huge problem. I don't know if the devs are just ignoring the issue or if the problem is really THAT hard to fix, but either way, it's unacceptable.

I know this is an old thread but hopefully it'll still help someone.
    Regardless of this being a general or specific problem, I know that it has affected me since Gods and Kings and still does.
    The reason is a corrupt cloud save, so whether its actually Civ or Steam is still debatable.

Here is the solution, works like charm for me, and has for the last three or four years.
    http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/93852...ion-v/66696701

For every new computer or re-install this has to be redone, I guess that once you get a corrupt cloud save it'll show up on every new installation of steam/civ.