Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920

Thread: Why no Kongo, Italy, Sioux, Tannu Tuva etc

That's what this thread is for though. The discussion for and against various civilizations that aren't in the game yet.

You can discuss it without fighting about it not that I'm making any judgement as to which was happening.

So, there´s a lot of content on Armenia in the begining of the topic, I´ll just leave something I thought could work.

Armenia - Tiridates III, the Great

UA - Cultural Clashes - Shrines generate 2 unhappiness in cities following a Religion different than the dominant one in the Capital. Temples provide +3 tourism and +2 culture in cities following the same religion as the one in the Capital. If Armenia has founded a Religion, receives a free Great Prophet everytime the Capital changes Religions.

UB - Mountain Fortress [Lori Berd, Smbataberd, Aghjkaghala] - Replaces the Castle. Can only be built in cities within 2 tiles of a mountain that´s inside your territory. +2 faith. City generates +1 faith for every Mountain tile withing range.

UU - Kamavor (one who is ready to sacrifice his life) - Replaces the Great War Infantry. Half unhappiness penalties when attacking. Generates culture when killed in an offensive battle. (half str? full str? fixed amount? idk)

Although Tigranes was the king of the largest empire, Tiridates was the one to convert Armenia to christianism, facing some turmoil in the process.
    I thought about limiting the castle so that in general their cities have a weaker combat str during middle ages/rennaissance, and so they tend to stick to their bias.
    Would probably have to remove the pre-requisite from arsenals tho. The other side of genocide is the resistance, so I thought of those Kamavor.

thoughts?
    I think the castle sucks, but I still didn´t find something else to go.

edit: Instead of the castle, maybe there could be another UU - Ayrudzi (noble heavy cavalry) - Replaces the Horsemen. Rough Terrain Promotion 1. Half maintenance cost.

I also would really love to see Parthia in Civ, with really badass cataprhacts.

edit 2: Also thought about adding to the UA: May fulfill religious quests for City-States spreading other civ´s religion. Not sure tho.

edit 3: changed temples +1 tourism -> +3 tourism - I guess there was barely any reason to pick Armenia like that. thought of keeping 1 tourism and reducing unhappiness from shrines to 1 too, but I guess this is better.

edit 4: added links to some fortresses.
    very hard to make a case here, it doesn´t make much sense in a realistic way not to be able to build a castle. Yerevan is on a plains and has a fortress. But they really were not the pinacle of homeland defense, so I´m trying to make their unprotected open landscape cities more vulnerable in some way.
    Another idea I had would be to add to the UA Cultural Clashes a condition that gives 10% combat strenght to enemy units inside your territory if they follow a different religion.

edit 5 - some explanations: just in case someone doesn´t know and has missed in the early pages - Armenia (and thus Tiridates the third) is credited as the first state to adopt christianity as their official state religion - as fas as I know the king himself got very sick at some point and requested to see a christian family member he had thrown in the dungeons a long time ago; when he did, he got miraculously cured and converted. Only problem is that the people were still more into polytheism back then, so there were some serious rebellions. Long before that, several traits from armenian beliefs included notions that would be central to zoroastrianism, like the duality of things and slavery aversion (reference needed here, just recently got this info from a teacher).

Other than that, Armenia lies in the crossroads of the east (I so wanted to come up with a UA for that). It´s between the roman and persian empires, between the black and the caspain seas, it´s between syria and the caucasus, between pontus and parthia, between rome and parthia, between the hellenic states of asia minor and the steppe tribes to the northeast, between russia and turkey, it´s in the middle of everything. And it´s been - much like Babylon, Assyria and any civilization older than the concept itself - under dominion of many different people throughout the centuries.

Their mercenary cavalry was hired in the entire east and was very famous. The heavy cavalry was composed entirely by nobility (rather usual really) and included particularly skilled archers among the formations, making very good use of rough terrain.

edit 6: removed 15% bonus to Ayrudzi heavy cavalry near or inside cities. Added half maintenance cost.

edit 7: UA was 'receive a free missionary', and i don´t know how that seemed to make any sense to me at the time. Changed to receive a Great Prophet.

edit: I´m a big fan of system of a down B)
    Last edited by brunopradosantos; 01-22-2015 at 01:59 PM.
    If you believe humans are more than ants in any way; if you believe humans can do anything unnatural; if you believe evolution can be stopped or directed towards a "worse" path by human medicine - you´re religious, regardless of what you think about gods.

Ukraine in Civilizations

Hello everyone!
    I want write about Ukraine in Civilizations 5. How you all know (or dont know) Ukraine presented with Kyiv who the part of Russia. Its not right! Ukraine must be independed country. We have our self very big history (many countries doesnt have something like this!) and now Ukraine the biggest country in Europe. You know that today Russia attack Ukraine and how we present in game is shame! It can offend the feelings of Ukrainians!
    If you really think about players and your own reputation you must make Ukraine in the game. Its many interesting featuares can be made about it. Like special unit Cossacks and special building Sich (read smth about Cossacks and u will know what is it). Feature of Ukraine can be more food from farms. So think about it and i waiting for your answer.
    (Sorry for mistakes)

Won't happen. Fraxis has their money and will not do this.

Real life politics and current events should not be brought up in CIV. I may empathize with you, but this is not an appropriate setting.

Not gonna happen. You can't please everyone. Maybe they'll do it in future Civ games, but I don't think Ukraine is a big enough market to warrant a change anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by flygongengar View Post
    Uhmm, you know Armenia is a "Caucasian ancient country"...
    Armenia is NOT an ancient Caucasian country. Armenia's roots, older than most other people's, lies in Anatolia, far before the Turks ever came from the Mongolian mountains.

Now THIS makes sense! Someone with some historical knowledge! Thank you! (Շնորհակալություն՜)

Quote Originally Posted by _Pax_ View Post
    Two reasons.

First: the game can not, should not, and will not offer every single possible civilization, nation, culture, or whatever a role as a Civilization within the game. Really, it's just not possible.

Second ... honest question: what, exactly, would Armenia bring to the game? What unique units or buildings would you assign to Armenia? What Unique Ability would Armenia have? What would Armenia add to Civilization, besides a list of city names, a flag, and a leader portrait? What would make playing as Armenia diferent from playing as any of the civs currently included?

Rather than trying to shoe-horn Armenia (or most of the other civs that people are asking for in this thread) into Civ5, you mgiht be better off advocating their inclusion in future iterations of the franchise. That is to say, in this case, talking about adding them to Civilization SIX.
    Armenians are some of the oldest people on the face of the planet, oldest wine makers, first to ride on horseback (especially into combat) ((The first ever to have mounted archers/calvary)) <- AKA special unit, master knights <-Again, origin of the bronze age, they held of the Persians (451AD) and the Mongols. The church architecture is the basis of Gothic architecture and one of the strongest designs known even today.
    Garni - One of the oldest pagan temples in the world.
    Geghard - An engineering MARVEL, build into the side of a flipping mountain to defend itself from raiding outsiders. I also would suggest Erebouni as a fortress, or Ani.

Karahunge (Kar means stone in Armenian and Hunge is henge) – Predates Stonehenge by roughly 1,000 years, which also leads into the oldest ships ever found in the British Isles being Armenian. Many historians attribute Stonehenge to Armenian travelers.

The connecting point between Europe, Asia, and the Middle East; the Silk Road’s connection.
    I could go on and on about how Armenia has been, at various times in history, an empire, including the Armenian Empire of Cilicia along the Mediterranean. I don't know what my fellow Armenian is talking about on here when he says Armenia was only an empire during Tigran the Great's rule. It's so incorrect it's not even funny.

Hello everybody!! I would like to introduce the fact that in the last versions of Civilization, SPAIN has desappear from the list of civilizations, and as a spaniard that had played this wonderful game since the beginning, I consider a real lack of reality to not include SPAIN in the civilizations list of last CIV versions..... The real trascendence of SPAIN in the historical scenarios of all over the world during most centuries, I think its indiscutible and I will like to the main staff of CIVs to reconsider to include again SPAIN in future versions.
    Thanks in advanced for your attention,
    ALMOGAVAR, Spanish old CIV player.

Quote Originally Posted by ALMOGAVAR View Post
    Hello everybody!! I would like to introduce the fact that in the last versions of Civilization, SPAIN has desappear from the list of civilizations, and as a spaniard that had played this wonderful game since the beginning, I consider a real lack of reality to not include SPAIN in the civilizations list of last CIV versions..... The real trascendence of SPAIN in the historical scenarios of all over the world during most centuries, I think its indiscutible and I will like to the main staff of CIVs to reconsider to include again SPAIN in future versions.
    Thanks in advanced for your attention,
    ALMOGAVAR, Spanish old CIV player.
    Spain is in a DLC together with the Inca, and in the G+K expansion... Just not in the vanilla version of Civ5.
    “If you are involved in a game, everything ends up being a set of trade-offs. Anything in a game is a sacrifice of things not in the game.” --Gabe Newell

Playing Firaxis games and helping out in the Official 2K Forums!
    My Blog: donald23.nl
    Steam profile: donald23

Thanks for your answer, Donald23; I was missing the inclusion of Spain in BNW expansion.....

Quote Originally Posted by ALMOGAVAR View Post
    Thanks for your answer, Donald23; I was missing the inclusion of Spain in BNW expansion.....
    Ah yeah, BNW has all the mechanics of G+K, but not the civilizations.
    “If you are involved in a game, everything ends up being a set of trade-offs. Anything in a game is a sacrifice of things not in the game.” --Gabe Newell

This is a civilization I would like to see. I don't think any modders have bothered with it, and I'm not sure why.

Manchus

Leader: Qianlong

UA Four Treasuries: Your first great work of writing gives you 100 gold. Your second great work of writing gives you a golden age. Your third great work of writing gives you a free social policy. Your fourth great work of writing levels up all of your spies.

UU Banner Army: A cavalry replacement with weaker combat strength and one less movement point, but it can do a ranged attack. The Banner Army consists of horsebowmen in the back (wings while moving) and gunmen in front. They have brightly colored banners flowing behind them.

UU Green Standard Army: A unique unit. The way this would work is that every land enemy you kill gives you 1 green standard point. When you get to 9 green standard points, the next enemy you kill is brought to your capital, fully healed and given a "green standard" promotion. The unit you capture will come with a "green standard" promotion giving it +10% combat strength on plains.

Start Bias: Tundra/Plains

Rationale: The Manchus were a very important people historically. They established two significant dynasties in Chinese History: The Jin (gold) dynasty and the Qing dynasty. Aside from establishing these dynasties, they also ruled a steppe Empire which stretched from Manchuria to the western portions of Inner Asia (today's Western China). Under the Qing dynasty, the Manchus doubled the size of the Chinese state by conquering vast swathes of Inner Asia. At various points they ruled a multiethnic/multinational Empire which contained Manchus, Khitans, Mongols, Tibetans, Chinese and others. Manchu Emperors patronized Tibetan lamas and created a highly effective bureaucracy modeled after the Chinese system though granting Manchus high ranks in government.

The Qing dynasty also produced some of the greatest Emperors in Chinese history: Kangxi, Yongzheng and Qianlong. Kangxi is the most revered of the Manchu monarchs, but I think Qianlong is more interesting as a ruler because he had both high points and low points. He was the Emperor responsible for China's greatest territorial aggrandizement in history, arguably bringing China to the peak of its prosperity. He was also a hard working Emperor who rose at 6:00 AM and worked all day. Aside from official duties, he wrote thousands of poems, collected artwork and conducted tours around the countryside. Unfortunately, Qianlong also wasted money extravagantly on some of his tours, allowed certain corrupt officials such as Heshen to embezzle vast sums of money and initiated a gigantic literary inquisition. He began a Four Treasuries project with the initial goal of collecting large quantities of books throughout the realm. Thousands of books were compiled and even copied. While this at first had a benevolent aim, this project was later used for the purpose of censoring perceived slights against the Manchus. A large number of the collected books were altered, banned or destroyed. However, it is still one of the greatest compilations of books in all of history.
    Last edited by SlickSlicer; 08-31-2015 at 06:40 PM.

New civilization to the game

Gamers from all Ukraine love this game, we think that you can make it even better. Our proposal to you is to add “Ukraine” to civilizations in game. I dont know if this is possible at all, thats why I am asking. Civilization:Beyond earth cant fully replace us Civilization 5, so we ask you to remember about Civ.5 fans and add Ukraine and probably some other features to this great game.
    There are some reasons to do this. Ukraine was founded in 10th century and was called Kievan Rus’ with the capital in Kyiv. During the 10th and 11th centuries, it became the largest and most powerful state in Europe. The Golden Age of Kievan Rus' began with the reign of Vladimir the Great (980–1015), who turned Rus' toward Orthodox Christianity. During the reign of his son, Yaroslav the Wise (1019–1054), Kievan Rus' reached the zenith of its cultural development and military power. And off course there are plenty of variants for “unique unit” and “unique ability”.
    Gamers of Ukraine thinks that it’s not rightly to ignore this power in Europe.
    While Europe was using heavy cavalry as main force on battlefield- Kievan Rus’ was also using very heavy shielded spearmens, their task was to stick into a line and smash into enemies to rip their lines, after that cavalry was killing rest of the enemies.

Our army had lots of interesting unique tactics and units even after Middle ages.
    One of them: infantry was standing in three or more lines and while first line was shooting, other were reloading guns and giving them back to first line. In result they were shooting all the time. We can see example on relief at Abbaye de Saint-Germain-des-Prés in Paris which is located on the tomb of polish king Yan Kasimir the Third. This infantry was called Cossacks and they were invented in 16-17th centuries, they were effective against infantry and even cavalry.

Because Ukrainian land is very fertile –the special national bonus could be “+1 food for each hexagon(except desert and sea )” or something like that.

During Middle ages “The trade route from the Varangians to the Greeks” was a trade route that connected Scandinavia, Kievan Rus' and the Byzantine Empire. That was a long-distance waterway including the Baltic Sea, several rivers flowing into the Baltic Sea, and rivers of the Dnieper river system with portages on the drainage divides. That means that another national bonus could be “+1 gold for each hexagon with river”
    Volodimir the Great in London

Kyivan Rus'

Ukrainian Sperman

Cossacks

Quote Originally Posted by donald23 View Post
    Yes it has, just using their actual name, Inuit. Inuit prefer not to be called Eskimo's AIUI.
    Actually, Eskimo is the most appropriate term. While considered offensive by a segment of people who had no clue what it meant, the term Eskimo means "netter of snow shoes". Inuit was chosen by a council but ununanimously. It is offensive to the tribes of America and Russia.

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Wind of Doom View Post
    Actually, Eskimo is the most appropriate term. While considered offensive by a segment of people who had no clue what it meant, the term Eskimo means "netter of snow shoes". Inuit was chosen by a council but ununanimously. It is offensive to the tribes of America and Russia.
    No Eskimo is not the appropriate term. While it is a term the that includes all the northern original peoples, the vast majority (just not the ones in USA) consider that a degrading name. Because of that, if you want to explicitly include the Yupik, you can better speak of the Inuit and Yupik then using the term Eskimo.

If the game isn't as trashy as Civ 5 it will have built in modability like Civ 4 had so anyone could mod in their own civ and leader.

Hopefully Civ 6 will have easy built in modability the way Civ 4 did so that scenario makers can easily mod in any civ and leader combo they please. Lord knows it can't be worse than the steaming pile of dung that was Civ 5.

*wrong forum*

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Wind of Doom View Post
    I met one Inuit man who said that the older generation tend to not like being called "Eskimo" for some reason.

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920