Thread: "Render error" with DirectX 10/11 at all graphics option levels, but not DirectX 9

"Render error" with DirectX 10/11 at all graphics option levels, but not DirectX 9

This thread was created because the symptoms changed from the thread at http://forums.2kgames.com/showthread...all-quot-patch --

The current symptom is that Civ V causes a "Render Error", which causes the graphics driver to terminate and restart, which in turn causes Civ V to terminate. The message generated by the driver (at least I think it is the driver) is
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Render Error

FGXRender11::Present failed hr=DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED. Driver failure.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This happens only in DirectX 10/11 mode regardless of what levels I have the Civ V graphics options set to, even the lowest possible levels of all of them. I am not getting this error in DirectX mode 9 even at the highest Civ V graphics option levels.

Here is my DxDiag, in parts.

Part 1
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ------------------
    System Information
    ------------------
    Time of this report: 12/18/2012, 12:24:08
    Machine name: JACK3
    Operating System: Windows Vista™ Ultimate (6.0, Build 6002) Service Pack 2 (6002.vistasp2_gdr.120824-0336)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: LENOVO
    System Model: 9702CTO
    BIOS: Lenovo BIOS Version: 51KT46A.ROM V4.6A
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E4600 @ 2.40GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.4GHz
    Memory: 3326MB RAM
    Page File: 1854MB used, 5019MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\Windows
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    DxDiag Version: 7.00.6002.18107 32bit Unicode

------------
    DxDiag Notes
    ------------
    Display Tab 1: No problems found.
    Sound Tab 1: No problems found.
    Input Tab: No problems found.

--------------------
    DirectX Debug Levels
    --------------------
    Direct3D: 0/4 (retail)
    DirectDraw: 0/4 (retail)
    DirectInput: 0/5 (retail)
    DirectMusic: 0/5 (retail)
    DirectPlay: 0/9 (retail)
    DirectSound: 0/5 (retail)
    DirectShow: 0/6 (retail)

---------------
    Display Devices
    ---------------
    Card name: ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT
    Manufacturer: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
    Chip type: ATI display adapter (0x9588)
    DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
    Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_9588&SUBSYS_09901462&REV_00
    Display Memory: 1914 MB
    Dedicated Memory: 506 MB
    Shared Memory: 1407 MB
    Current Mode: 1680 x 1050 (32 bit) (60Hz)
    Monitor: Generic PnP Monitor
    Driver Name: aticfx32.dll,aticfx32.dll,atiumdag.dll,atidxx32.dl l,atiumdva.cap
    Driver Version: 8.17.0010.1129 (English)
    DDI Version: 10
    BGRA Supported: Yes
    Driver Attributes: Final Retail
    Driver Date/Size: 7/3/2012 22:27:08, 918528 bytes
    WHQL Logo'd: Yes
    WHQL Date Stamp:
    Device Identifier: {D7B71EE2-D6C8-11CF-BB73-9A29BEC2C535}
    Vendor ID: 0x1002
    Device ID: 0x9588
    SubSys ID: 0x09901462
    Revision ID: 0x0000
    Revision ID: 0x0000
    Video Accel: ModeMPEG2_A ModeMPEG2_C

DxDiag Part 2 (only through the end of the Display Devices section):
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Deinterlace Caps: {6E8329FF-B642-418B-BCF0-BCB6591E255F}: Format(In/Out)=(YUY2,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,1) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_PixelAdaptive
    {335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(YUY2,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch
    {5A54A0C9-C7EC-4BD9-8EDE-F3C75DC4393B}: Format(In/Out)=(YUY2,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY
    {6E8329FF-B642-418B-BCF0-BCB6591E255F}: Format(In/Out)=(UYVY,UYVY) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,1) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_PixelAdaptive
    {335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(UYVY,UYVY) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch
    {5A54A0C9-C7EC-4BD9-8EDE-F3C75DC4393B}: Format(In/Out)=(UYVY,UYVY) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY
    {3C5323C1-6FB7-44F5-9081-056BF2EE449D}: Format(In/Out)=(NV12,0x3231564e) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,2) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_PixelAdaptive
    {552C0DAD-CCBC-420B-83C8-74943CF9F1A6}: Format(In/Out)=(NV12,0x3231564e) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,2) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_PixelAdaptive
    {6E8329FF-B642-418B-BCF0-BCB6591E255F}: Format(In/Out)=(NV12,0x3231564e) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,1) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_PixelAdaptive
    {335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(NV12,0x3231564e) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch
    {5A54A0C9-C7EC-4BD9-8EDE-F3C75DC4393B}: Format(In/Out)=(NV12,0x3231564e) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY
    DDraw Status: Enabled
    D3D Status: Enabled
    AGP Status: Enabled

I just realized that I didn't include something that might be quite important. I have been playing it in windowed mode, not full screen mode.

With that error there is not much I can offer you.
    Four things (unfortunately I give them all three a quite low chance of success, though they won't harm your system)
    • re-install your driver, use the remove programs part, or the uninstall from the start menu preferably. Then reboot, then install again
    • re-install directx. In the remove programs part of your control panel, there is probably something related to directx. Uninstall that. Then install using this link: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl...ils.aspx?id=35
    • empty the cache folder of my documents/my games/Sid Meier's Civilization 5/cache
    • verify game files through Steam

These are also in order of decreasing likelyhood of fixing it as far as I can assess it...

Ohw, and one more thing: move the three .ini files in My documents/my games/Sid Meier's Civilization 5/ folder somewhere else and start the game again. It should then re-create those files with default values, try to play with those and see if that helps.

EDIT: I didn't mention it, but check for windows updates first and make sure you have all the latest updates installed.

Did you really mean to say "three .ini files". I find four .ini files; config.ini, GraphicsSettingsDX9.ini GraphicsSettingsDX11.ini and UserSettings.ini.

Quote Originally Posted by jackkistler View Post
    Did you really mean to say "three .ini files". I find four .ini files; config.ini, GraphicsSettingsDX9.ini GraphicsSettingsDX11.ini and UserSettings.ini.
    He meant three or four (depending on DX9 and/or DX11 I guess). They are re-created anyhow.

Is it possible that you are crashing when leader scenes come up? To help isolate the problem, try switching the leader scene quality to minimum in video options, and see if that stops the crash from occurring. If it does, try upping the quality to low or medium.

Quote Originally Posted by jackkistler View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenhorn View Post
    He meant three or four (depending on DX9 and/or DX11 I guess). They are re-created anyhow.
    Indeed. When both versions are succesfully started, there are four. I meant for you to move them all

Quote Originally Posted by Tech Brad L View Post
    Is it possible that you are crashing when leader scenes come up? To help isolate the problem, try switching the leader scene quality to minimum in video options, and see if that stops the crash from occurring. If it does, try upping the quality to low or medium.
    I have ALL of the video graphics options set to the lowest possible level, including the leader scene quality.

And it is interesting that you mention the tie between the leader scenes and the "render error" failures, because the last time I ran it I got part of a leader scene. I got the selectable parts, but not the background scene. But I don't remember for sure if this was with DirectX 9 or DirectX 10/11. Probably 10/11. And it didn't crash that time.

Also, as I recall, it crashed many times on many turns before I "discovered" any other civilizations.

And about the .ini files, yes I suspected that was the case, just from the file names, but I wanted to be certain. Thanks.
    Last edited by jackkistler; 12-20-2012 at 12:05 PM.

Hey, don't know how productive it is to just say this, but I'm having exactly the same issue!

Nvidia GTX 260, seems to happen at the same turn, so perhaps an issue with the leader screens? I also have the G&K expansion... It had been a while since I'd played Civ V before getting G&K (so it could have been caused by an update, or perhaps just my ageing hardware!), but I was able to play an entire marathon game with no interruptions back then.

DXdiag here if it helps... I'll perhaps try getting past the particular turn on DX9 mode, but it'll be a bit disappointing if I have to resort to using it all the time.

Edit: tried multiple versions of the Geforce drivers & updating audio drivers too.

Quote Originally Posted by donald23 View Post
    Ohw, and one more thing: move the three .ini files in My documents/my games/Sid Meier's Civilization 5/ folder somewhere else and start the game again. It should then re-create those files with default values, try to play with those and see if that helps.

EDIT: I didn't mention it, but check for windows updates first and make sure you have all the latest updates installed.
    OK. That may have done it. I have played 40 turns at the lowest graphics settings and 40 turns with a lot of graphics set at the next higher settings (nothing above Low, but no minimums or OFFs).

I am now going for the highest settings on all of the graphics options.

Recap:
    1) The "Fall" patch requires the July 2012 driver for the ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT driver card.
    2) The game's old .ini files are made incompatible by the "Fall" patch.
    Last edited by jackkistler; 12-21-2012 at 12:28 PM.

Good to hear! Have fun with the game!

Just to round out and close this thread, I thought I would offer these comments.

I finally found and installed a GPU temperature monitor and was very surprised at what I found. I remember reading somewhere else on this forum that Civ V works a GPU HARD. But I was unable to find any specifications on my GPU's "operating temperature" or temperature tolerance. When I tried Civ V (DirectX 10&11) at highest video settings I found the temperature of the GPU running at 75 degrees centigrade. I also have a temp. monitor on my CPU processors, and found temp. specs for it, which is 73.6 deg. cent. Hence, I am back to low on all of Civ V's video quality settings. Sure wish I could find the GPU temp. specs.

Civ V ran ok at the high video settings, so as far as I can tell the problem I reported in this thread was solved by rebuilding the .ini files, but the higher video settings and high GPU temp. did slow the game down severely (I am guessing that the GPU is self protected in some way), so I am back down to low quality graphics. NBD. It runs smoothly at that level and I don't want to cook my GPU.

Thanks for all your help and patience.

I have a Civ 5 installation in my PC and i already searched for those 3 or 4 .ini files. However I can only find 1 .ini which is GraphicsSettingsDX9.ini in My Games/Sid Meier's Civilization 5/. It causes me not to be able change the video config when i'm using the DX10/11 version of Civ 5. What do i need to do sir? Please help...

Quote Originally Posted by yanuarbb View Post
    I have a Civ 5 installation in my PC and i already searched for those 3 or 4 .ini files. However I can only find 1 .ini which is GraphicsSettingsDX9.ini in My Games/Sid Meier's Civilization 5/. It causes me not to be able change the video config when i'm using the DX10/11 version of Civ 5. What do i need to do sir? Please help...
    Please start your own thread in which you explain the problem you're having in detail. It would be best if you also include a link to your dxdiag on pastebin.org (see sticky for how to).
    “If you are involved in a game, everything ends up being a set of trade-offs. Anything in a game is a sacrifice of things not in the game.” --Gabe Newell

Playing Firaxis games and helping out in the Official 2K Forums!
    My Blog: donald23.nl
    Steam profile: donald23

ok honestly I tried most the work around I could find here or elsewhere to no avail. I get a render error message when playing in DX11, message which I cannot even look at because even alt tab wont work. I have been playing since civ 2 and I find it completely inacceptable that this render error bug still plagues the game after close to 4 years. Do something darn

Quote Originally Posted by caouellet View Post
    ok honestly I tried most the work around I could find here or elsewhere to no avail. I get a render error message when playing in DX11, message which I cannot even look at because even alt tab wont work. I have been playing since civ 2 and I find it completely inacceptable that this render error bug still plagues the game after close to 4 years. Do something darn
    Firstly, this forum is for community support - members of the community helping one another out. 2K Support have their own website for official support.

Secondly, the same symptoms do not mean the same cause. Please create your own thread, describing your own problem clearly, and include your dxdiag - there are instructions in a sticky thread; pay attention particularly to the instructions for using pastebin, as it helps get around problems the forum has with long posts.

As the OP hasn't come back here for a while, this thread is now closed.

Quote Originally Posted by caouellet View Post
    Please start your own thread in which you explain the problem you're having in detail. It would be best if you also include a link to your dxdiag on pastebin.org (see sticky for how to).
    Right above your post...
    closed.
    “If you are involved in a game, everything ends up being a set of trade-offs. Anything in a game is a sacrifice of things not in the game.” --Gabe Newell

Playing Firaxis games and helping out in the Official 2K Forums!
    My Blog: donald23.nl
    Steam profile: donald23