Thread: Question about great person/builders

Question about great person/builders

How do you get them?? It's seems like if you hit certain points in tech, you get Tech person and the same goes for gold and culture. Do you get them from creating more cities??? It seems like if i make 6 or 7 cites, i get a great builder more often than not. It obviously the most important of the great people because you can rush any of the wonders and it changes the whole game.

For this, the following guide may work in most game scenarios...

http://forums.2kgames.com/showthread...ght=Gotw+guide

and...

http://forums.2kgames.com/showthread...Person-you-get

that link didn't say how great builders are gotten...That link just talked mostly about rushing

There are certain tech paths you could take that would influence the outcome. Go into the civilopedia and you see how certain techs leads to certain things. I assume it would go for gps as well.

Be the French and tech masonry.

Or be the English. You first GP will either be a builder or a GL about 70% of the time. Consistently. Something to do with Monarchy.

Quote Originally Posted by newsgothic View Post
    Be the French and tech masonry.
    Actually I play the French a ton and I get the builder 80%+ and I never tech masonry prior to getting my GP. In fact I rarely if ever tech anything prior to the GB coming.

What are you doing all that time? Building warriors? Stonehenge?

ideal start is 2 food squares and 3 forest, go to 3 pop asap if not right away whenever possible (especially nice if you can get a goodie hut to rush a warrior). then spend the next 13 turns on some warriors and banking production for whatever (galley for your 100g settler, barracks if you got Bronze somehow, doesn't seem to matter though its rarely a great wonder i work on).. I think there is something about working 6 hammers consistently for so long that brings about a builder. In the games I decide to pop out a quick settler or work gold/tech I've noticed a significant increase in the number of non-builders.

You get great people by accumulating culture points. If you are teching masonry, it can influence a builder, even if you haven't finished it yet.

Is it true your culture either resets or adjusts if you pop the Ark, hence, and where possible, you're better off taking it after a GP appears?

The Ark will increase your culture points per turn, thus speeding up when you get a GP.

If you mean the School of Confucius, then yes, it's better to take it after you have reached 150 culture points (when you get your first GP - 2nd one comes around 260 points IIRC). It's the same with Monarchy etc - if you are just a few turns away from a GP, it can be better to wait.

Of course, game dependant and you risk giving the bonus to your opponent.