Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New patch is live

Drcane Guest

New patch is live

Civ fans,

A new patch is on its way tomorrow. It should be dropping in around morning PDT. We'll update this thread when it's released. As always, here are the patch notes for your viewing pleasure. Lots of good fixes I'm sure you've been waiting for.

UPDATED: New patch is live.

(Released 7/2/13)

MULTIPLAYER
    • New Mode - Sequential - Similar to the way Single Player works, each player takes turns making their moves.
    • New Mode - Hybrid - turns are simultaneous as they've worked in the past, but when wars are declared, any players involved in the wars switch to sequential until the war is resolved. All other uninvolved players still play simultaneous.
    • New Mode - Pitboss - Your game can now run in a server mode, which allows players to connect, take their turn, disconnect, and come back later. Email notifications and steam notifications are built into the system. Once the system has received a healthy amount of feedback from the community, we will also include a stand-alone Pitboss server that does not require a steam account to run.
    • Added an "Observer" mode to watch a multiplayer game.
    • Added ability to play custom maps in multiplayer. Host and all players must place custom maps in the main games "maps" directory to be usable.
    • Added ability to kick a player in-game.
    • Added ability to save a game configuration from the Staging room, so players can keep various "favorite" game settings ready to go.
    • Reworked hot-join code to make hot-join much more reliable.
    • Reworked host migration to be more reliable.
    • Reworked lobby, added multiple improvements to the way games are setup, and added flexibility when loading a save, and all players are no longer available to play. Also added slot-type pull-downs so host can define the slot-type (like Open, Human Required, AI, and Closed).
    • Game will now auto-start when all humans have readied up.
    • Added hours/seconds label to turn timer edit box.
    • Tracked down and squashed many more causes of out-of-syncs and connection issues, as well as other general bugs.
    • Additional polish, notifications for kicks, disconnects, reconnects, host changes, multiple UI and tooltip additions and improvements, etc.

GAMEPLAY
    • Fixed an issue that caused workers building improvements to constantly "wake up" when hostile units were not close by.
    • Hun Battering Ram promotions which allows only city attacks are now lost upon upgrade.
    • Fix an issue where the plot under a city would not be worked after trading/gifting it.
    • Crabs should no longer spawn in lakes.
    • Many additional subtle updates to tool-tips, and information exposed to players.

IN-GAME ART/SOUNDS
    • New Forest and Jungle art for all terrain types.
    • New Road and Railroad art.
    • Touched up color on various terrain pieces, as well as some of the texture transitions.
    • Fix Rock of Gibralter national wonder so that it's surrounding terrain displays properly (there may still be rare cases where this can still occur).
    • Reduced texture sized on many models in-game (buildings, improvements, some leaders, etc.).
    • Added missing "Selection" sound entries for some base game units.

AI
    • Military: More aggressive AI city attacks.
    • Military: Refine larger unit formations, and adjust the AI to use these against City-States if appropriate.
    • Military: Make Great Generals more aware of danger nearby.
    • Military: The AI will now prioritize capturing original capitals and cities that were originally theirs.

UI
    • UI will now change based on the DLL that is active (base game, Gods and Kings, or Brave New World).
    • New Declare War Pop-up that includes an overview of all connected events (like trades that will be cancelled, City-State allies, etc.)
    • New Single-Player leaderboards for main game, scenarios, DLC, and mods. To add leaderboards to a mod, add the "SupportsLeaderboards" property to its mod properties.
    • Added a pop-up that tells the user that the game data is changing when DLC/Scenarios are activated/deactivated.
    • Maintenance-free units are now properly tracked in the Economic Overview.
    • Planes and Nukes are now considered Military Units in the Unit overview.
    • Fixed issues with the city Garrison ring not displaying correctly.
    • Natural Wonders that create Happiness will now display the yield properly in the plot tool-tip.
    • Fix some issues that would cause the terrain yield icons to be incorrect, or sometimes missing.
    • Religion: Fixed a bug where unknown civs would be revealed (via Icon) in the Religion Overview.
    • Add in a player option called "Quick Selection Advance" which will have the auto-unit-selection advance to the next unit without waiting for the animation to complete.
    • When the active player's turn starts, make sure all their city range strike icons are correct.
    • Multiple general fixes and improvements to touch-screen functionality.
    • Replay graphs are now much more accurate.
    • Planes and Nukes are now considered military units in the overview.
    • Fixed a bug in which units were not properly sorted by name in the military overview.
    • Correct some issues that would cause unit icons to disappear.
    • Multiple subtle UI improvements throughout the game.

MODS AND STEAM WORKSHOP
    • Fixed an issue that would cause some mods to download over and over from Steam Workshop.
    • Changed the way the mod database is built so that the mod library is managed correctly.
    • Fixed an issue with World Builder which could cause it not to launch properly on some users computers.
    Last edited by Drcane; 07-02-2013 at 12:35 PM.

So excited!

What does this mean: "UI will now change based on the DLL that is active (base game, Gods and Kings, or Brave New World)."

I think I'll need comparison pics for this.

Let the rejoicing begin!
    Quote Originally Posted by stethnorun View Post
    What does this mean: "UI will now change based on the DLL that is active (base game, Gods and Kings, or Brave New World)."

I think I'll need comparison pics for this.
    The UI decorations changed with G&K, and presumably with change with BNW as well. At present, if you have G&K installed, there's no straightforward way to get the vanilla UI back, even if you deactivate G&K. By the sound of it, deactivating the expacs will get you back to the vanilla UI.

The change was subtle, to my eyes.

Awesome, multi-player Pitboss has been quite the while, glad to see it finally land. Also fixing multi-player out of sync issues is also very welcome, hope this update gets that majority of those now!

Cool new patch! Looks great, i see a number of fixes for things i had noticed with the current patch. Be interesting to see how the AI are at taking cities now, and new tile graphics for jungle/forest! And those MP changes look beast!

Quote Originally Posted by SamBC View Post
    Let the rejoicing begin!

The UI decorations changed with G&K, and presumably with change with BNW as well. At present, if you have G&K installed, there's no straightforward way to get the vanilla UI back, even if you deactivate G&K. By the sound of it, deactivating the expacs will get you back to the vanilla UI.

The change was subtle, to my eyes.
    Don't suppose there are comparison pics for this somewhere are there?

Don't suppose there are comparison pics for this somewhere are there?
    Not side-by-side, that I'm aware of, but you could skim release reviews of each for screenshots to compare.

Looks great. Even though I am not a MP person, there is something in there for everyone. Thanks

I'm guessing this will break saves, right?

Thank you for Pitboss and the additional MP modes. It's been a long wait but it's very nice to see a promise stuck to, most especially when it turned out to be a promise not easily achieved. I wasn't especially interested in buying BNW but this has certainly awakened a desire in me to see what other good work you guys might have done!

11. I'm excited to see these new roads and trees in action!

I'm excited to see these new roads and trees in action!
    I bet they put that in last minute per your thread suggestion...

I'm guessing this will break saves, right?
    Hi Sam, just checked on this with the team. We do not expect the patch to break saves, as the team has been using existing savegames during the development process (for bug fixing, etc.).

O.o looks great! Can't wait to play some MP games

15. Quote Originally Posted by ddesart View Post
    I bet they put that in last minute per your thread suggestion...
    I WISH I was that good!

Fix an issue where the plot under a city would not be worked after trading/gifting it.
    I'm feeling a little slow today. Could someone explain this to me, please? Thanks.

=/
    you know you are too late with this patch right? like 2 years late...
    + you will not fix this patch i sure, and i 100% sure this patch is not perfect...cause i do not believe you can fix this game anymore...
    anyway thisgame in mp plan is dead for whole my team...thx for that!

Quote Originally Posted by tfordp View Post
    I'm feeling a little slow today. Could someone explain this to me, please? Thanks.
    Underneath the city, that tile is given a 2 food 2 hammer 1 gold to work. The trading/gifting is with other civs. I'm guessing that was stuffing up, but I've never had a single traded/gifted city ever.

I am very happy that the changes to MP are here, and can't wait to test them out. Although they did come like two years too late =P.

At any rate, I'm still pretty excited. If the changes are satisfying (and it sure looks like they are, from the patch notes), I will be buying BNW (my decision to purchase it is 100% dependent on whether I can play it in multiplayer without too many hiccups), which makes me happy =)

Big, big thanks to every person that worked on the MP patch for all their work!

Now I'm just waiting for mod capability of multiplayer games for Civ 5 to be the perfect, finished game...

Quote Originally Posted by Drcane View Post

MULTIPLAYER

Added ability to play custom maps in multiplayer. Host and all players must place custom maps in the main games "maps" directory to be usable.
    So does this mean you can play maps made with mods in multiplayer, or only plain custom maps? If the latter, it is rather useless due not being able to place civs on the right locations when you use a true-world map for instance.

If you can use maps with pre-determined placing positions, this would be the best part of the whole patch.

Kind regards,

Low

You fixed one of my gripes, the workers that you need to retell to do something cause there's a unit 4 tiles away or with an army in between.

One thing you still need, is teaching the AI to use fighters. It never puts them on intercept, and thus noone ever needs to sweep either. This means a single fighter on intercept on your part, will surely shoot down all bombers as the AI wastes his airforce and after that is often helpless against the players airforce.

I mean with the stack of Airplanes at higher levels, can't be too hard to tell one or two to go on intercept. Same on a Carrier, tell a fighter to be on intercept duty it will help the AI alot.

[*]New Mode - Pitboss - Your game can now run in a server mode, which allows players to connect, take their turn, disconnect, and come back later. Email notifications and steam notifications are built into the system. Once the system has received a healthy amount of feedback from the community, we will also include a stand-alone Pitboss server that does not require a steam account to run.
    So what you are saying is that at the moment one player must use his Steam account to run the server and therefore that player cannot play the game.

Correct ?

If this how it works, then It seems pretty useless.

Once the system has received a healthy amount of feedback from the community, we will also include a stand-alone Pitboss server
    So you are giving us something that it's not Pitboss, but you are calling it Pitboss. And you make a promise that you will give us the real Pitboss some time in the future.

LOL

Quote Originally Posted by lietkynes View Post
    So what you are saying is that at the moment one player must use his Steam account to run the server and therefore that player cannot play the game.

Correct ?

If this how it works, then It seems pretty useless.
    Well, they did say it's just for now. Once there's feedback, there'll be the chance to do it without using up an account.

I'm sure the wonderful civ community will have a few groups where people rotate the duty of hosting between games, which will generate the feedback.

Well, they did say it's just for now. Once there's feedback, there'll be the chance to do it without using up an account.
    The entire point of Pitboss is having a standalone server that's always there. What they are giving us in this patch is not Pitboss. And you may have noticed there is no ETA about the standalone server, just a vague hint it will be included later. As we have learned "later" can easily mean 2 years.

I'm sure the wonderful civ community will have a few groups where people rotate the duty of hosting between games, which will generate the feedback.
    You understand that while you host the game you cannot do anything else on your computer, yes ? Who is willing to leave his computer AND his Steam account locked in "Pitboss mode" for days ? Not me for sure

The "healthy feedback" they will receive is that no one will use it because it's inferior to third party tools developed by amateurs. Everyone will keep using the damn GMR.

The entire point of Pitboss is having a standalone server that's always there. What they are giving us in this patch is not Pitboss. And you may have noticed there is no ETA about the standalone server, just a vague hint it will be included later. As we have learned "later" can easily mean 2 years.
    I'm pretty confident it will be in a reasonable time. It would be strange for there to have been no work done on it at all. In fact, I believe in the recent video, it was mentioned with some timescale. I'm not going to listen to the whole thing again to check, mind.
    You understand that while you host the game you cannot do anything else on your computer, yes ? Who is willing to leave his computer AND his Steam account locked in "Pitboss mode" for days ? Not me for sure
    There are plenty of people in the community who have more than one PC. Or a PC good enough to do other things while running CivV (mine will). A pitboss game can run as one turn a day, but usually it ends up as more than that if the players are playing at the same time.

Because you're not of a sufficiently giving disposition to do this doesn't mean no-one else is.

I'm pretty confident it will be in a reasonable time.
    We will see about that. For now there is no ETA,

There are plenty of people in the community who have more than one PC.
    You also have multiple Steam accounts ?

A pitboss game can run as one turn a day, but usually it ends up as more than that if the players are playing at the same time.
    Why would you want to use Pitboss if you only play one turn a day and all players are on at the same time ?

Because you're not of a sufficiently giving disposition to do this doesn't mean no-one else is.
    It has nothing to do with "giving disposition". I host several game servers on my VPS, for free, and I have been doing that for years. But I cannot lock my Steam account for weeks just to run a game for other people.

But since you have a great "giving disposition" and you have a spare PC let's do this then: we will do a Pitboss game to celebrate the new patch, anyone in this forum can join. You will be hosting the server, let's say 12 hours every day for 3 weeks. Is that ok to you ? It will be a nice way to give feedback to 2K and we can also write a good recap of the game here on the forum.

I don't understand that, would you mind explaining that for dummies? Someone will probably have to leave a steam account on, and everybody will have to log in to steam to play their turn, but why should the whole PC be blocked for days by that?

Quote Originally Posted by tfordp View Post
    I don't understand that, would you mind explaining that for dummies? Someone will probably have to leave a steam account on, and everybody will have to log in to steam to play their turn, but why should the whole PC be blocked for days by that?
    Because this Pitboss mode is not a small standone server. You have to run the whole Civ5 game. While you do that you can certainly use your PC to do light tasks like browse internet or check your email, but any CPU intensive task like playing another game or a 720p video would be impossible because Civ5 takes a lot of resources. Unless you have a monster PC and you don't care being unable to use Steam for days, that is.

Ah, I see. You were exaggerating. Got it.

Because this Pitboss mode is not a small standone server. You have to run the whole Civ5 game. While you do that you can certainly use your PC to do light tasks like browse internet or check your email, but any CPU intensive task like playing another game or a 720p video would be impossible because Civ5 takes a lot of resources. Unless you have a monster PC and you don't care being unable to use Steam for days, that is.
    I'm confident that some people will be willing to do that for the sake of testing - especially if it's done in rotation with other people from a playing group. 8GB of system RAM is enough to do a lot of other activities, being as it leaves you with at least 4GB free. Processing power is another matter, of course, though if the turn tempo is low that's less of a burden.

Plus you can always watch

Thumbs up

•Added ability to play custom maps in multiplayer

•Added ability to save a game configuration from the Staging room, so players can keep various "favorite" game settings ready to go.

•Tracked down and squashed many more causes of out-of-syncs and connection issues.

If the above turns out to be true... I just might have to pick up myself an expansion.

Where can I download the Earth map? :P

That is some great news and very nice patch!

Drcane,
    could you add the the version number to the official patch notes post?
    I haven't seen any download going on in Steam and wondering if it's supposed to be version 1.0.2.44.

thx
    Last edited by RedPawn; 07-02-2013 at 08:51 AM.

When when when when when when?!?

When are you going to speed up planes' bombing animations?

Quote Originally Posted by Teodosio View Post
    When are you going to speed up planes' bombing animations?
    [*]Add in a player option called "Quick Selection Advance" which will have the auto-unit-selection advance to the next unit without waiting for the animation to complete.
    I do agree that they still need to speed up air unit animations, but with the following change (one that I've been wanting for 2 years now) we will no longer be locked by the animation of every single unit. So when you use a bomber, while in flight you can command other units. Well this is what I think at least, but my opinion went off evidence from the Shaka reveal play-through, where the Portuguese player was bombarding Shaka's units with his frigates and landing his musketmen near simultaneously (which would suggest it was a patch mechanic or a mechanic exclusive to BNW; I hope it's the former).

Quote Originally Posted by Securion View Post
    When when when when when when?!?
    Just a little while longer!

DrCane, will the person running a dedicated pitboss server be required to have all of the DLC for the players in that game to play with said DLC?

Quote Originally Posted by tviceman View Post
    DrCane, will the person running a dedicated pitboss server be required to have all of the DLC for the players in that game to play with said DLC?
    Well, we don't have it yet, but based on how MP works generally, I would imagine that it would. I'd like to hear the official answer, though.

Well, we don't have it yet, but based on how MP works generally, I would imagine that it would. I'd like to hear the official answer, though.
    Is the host required to play or can he just setup his side to act as a server?

Quote Originally Posted by tviceman View Post
    Is the host required to play or can he just setup his side to act as a server?
    I don't know. Guess we'll wait and see.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast