View Poll Results: Is it a problem that player can make war and peace with a City State on same turn?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I agree that this is a problem, cooldown time sounds like a good solution

12 92.31%
  • Yes, I agree this is a problem, but I think we need another solution (explain below)

0 0%
  • No, I don't think this is a problem, keep things as they are currently

1 7.69%

Thread: City States and DoW/DoP system

Question City States and DoW/DoP system

So, listening to the most recent [http://forums.2kgames.com/showthread.php?252641-PolyCast-Episode-178-quot-Everything-You-Want-to-Talk-About-quot]Polycast[/url] episode, I understand that the Developers get the impression that City State war/peace interaction is "not a major concern for the player community". Now since I think this is a small but major issue with the current game, I thought I'd bring it up here for discussion.

So basically, what I'm talking about is the fact that you can DoW a city state, then do whatever you want to do to them, and then force a Peace treaty on them by the end of turn, and then repeat the cycle over again. This allows for some pretty lame strategies like:
    • Worker stealing without suffering any risk of losing units.
    • Attack city state over and over to level up unit.
    • Conquer city state without ever risking losing units.

Now I know there are supposed to be a diplomatic downside to these things, but the fact that Worker stealing is considered an almost default strategy on higher level does indicate that things could need some tuning. Furthermore, as I see it, there is a very easy(?) fix to this, namely add a cooldown time for DoW and DoP for city states similar to how it works for major civs - so when you make a DoW with a city state, they won't accept a peace offer before some time (like 5 turns) have gone by. Similarly, when you've signed a peace treaty, you can't declare war on the city state for some time (again, 5 turns is a possibility).

So, please let your voice and vote be heard on this matter.

This is an even bigger problem in MP. People who start near a CS will abuse it to get several promotions & a general (or two).

I do feel that this is a problem, it shouldn't be so easy to steal a worker from CSs early game. However declaring war to a CS over and over again will lead to permanent war with all CSs, isn't that right? So at least there are some serious repercussions there, you can only do it once and get away with it.

Quote Originally Posted by civdiss View Post
    However declaring war to a CS over and over again will lead to permanent war with all CSs, isn't that right?
    No, this feature was taken out at or sometime after release of G&K. Declaring war on or bullying a CS will decrease your resting point with that CS permanently, and I think you will also lose the "welcome gift" with new City States - or otherwise, that was a bug in my recent game, where I played as Assyria and happened to "borrow" quite a lot of gold from poor Sydney early game - and didn't get any welcome gifts later on:

I've never thought of using any of these strategies, but the fact that one could do this is a problem.

Yes, I have always considered the ability to war and make peace with a city-state on the same turn to be a cheap exploit that should be removed from the game. Ideally you would want CS wars to follow the rules seen in regular war with civs were it is usually impossible to Negotiate Peace during the first 10 turns of war been declared. Furthermore, they should also have the forced 10 turns of not been able to declare war again, once peace has been negotiated.

Ok forget about multi player games. Why not just don't do it in single player games? How is it a problem in single player game?

Quote Originally Posted by Davor View Post
    Ok forget about multi player games. Why not just don't do it in single player games? How is it a problem in single player game?
    It's more fun in multiplayer though.

Quote Originally Posted by LemuelTes View Post
    It's more fun in multiplayer though.
    (your 1st post is to bump a 4 year old thread? [might be your last post ] )

Yes, war and peace in the same turn should have never happened. 100% sure it wont change.