Thread: Uh, stuck in first area where you're supposed to learn the cover mechanics.

Uh, stuck in first area where you're supposed to learn the cover mechanics.

There's a soldier standing in my way, not allowing me to walk past. I've tried shooting him, restarting the mission, making a new campaign, it's the same way every time, and he cannot be killed. I can't run around him either, since I get locked into cover once I approach it.

I watched a video and he's supposed to go in cover with you and end up getting shot. Doesn't happen for me, he just stands there.

Carter keeps screaming "☺☺☺☺!" and "Goddammit."
    My thoughts exactly.

Edit:
    Managed to get past him by reloading multiple times so I didn't get stuck in cover.

Then this happened.

They don't seem to mind having their heads blown off.
    Last edited by CrazyMLC; 08-20-2013 at 02:17 PM.

Game doesn't work.

I bought a copy on steam. The NPCs do nothing. They stand there and let me shoot them and don't die. I'm stuck on the first level because of this.

I made another thread but it appears to have been deleted or otherwise broken.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyMLC View Post
    I made another thread but it appears to have been deleted or otherwise broken.
    You mean the thread I just merged this into? When you edited the post to add one or more images, the automod caught it (because you're a new user). When stuff like that happens, just wait a bit and one of us will notice it and fix it.

Ah.

Point remains that this bug has rendered the game unplayable for me and I need assistance.

Sounds like you need to delete that save and restart. You are only what, 2 minutes into the game?

Something like that.

Making a new savegame/campaign didn't work out. Also tried different difficulty levels.

Check file integrity in Steam, perhaps. That looks like intriguing glitching. Also, the graphics look really fuzzy. Could be worth posting your dxdiag (there are instructions on how to generate it, and post it using pastebin, over in the CivV Support forum; hopefully we'll get a support section here as well).

Already checked the file integrity before I posted, didn't change a thing. Maybe it'll work out better if I uninstall then reinstall. I started the Steam pre-load and switched to the actual download in the middle, so I guess it's possible that broke something. I'd think the integrity check would have fixed it though.

I'm on a pretty bad computer, but I can run the game at minimum settings and resolution. I'll be getting a better computer tomorrow.

Bump to get this moved into the Support subforum. Also currently reinstalling.

Good luck to you on the re-install. I'm about 2 steps away from requesting a refund, since I can't even get passed the opening cinematic.

Re-installing did a lot of nothing. I'm thinking about asking for a refund, myself.

If it were me I'd delete the default .ini files and the Engine .ini files, and then reverify the cache'.
    And before starting the game, I'd delete/move everything that's in the My Documents folder related to this game. Otherwise the default.ini's won't do anything, and probably the engine .ini's too. Being that the save files get priority, then the Engine.ini's then the default .ini's.

I'm guessing that somehow the .ini's you got were wrong, and that the delete content routine doesn't delete everything... mainly your save files. So... the problem doesn't go away when you redownload the game.

.ini file is probably set to debug mode or something...
    http://forums.2kgames.com/showthread...t-run-the-game

It never created a My Documents folder, for some reason. I found a folder in the game's Steam directory though named Saves however there was nothing inside. I went in the game, deleted the campaign through there, and ended the process. I deleted all the files in the Config folders. I'll re-verify and tell you what happens.

Edit: Still broken.
    My new computer should be arriving later today. If the game doesn't work on it I'll be asking for a refund.
    Last edited by CrazyMLC; 08-21-2013 at 11:40 AM.

Usually the folder under Documents would be under documents/My Games

There's a distinct lack of bureaus.

Computer arrived and I'll be setting it up later.

Jk, no new computer for the foreseeable future. I don't care to go into details.

Anyone have any help to offer? Perhaps I need admin privileges?

I also have same problems. Try multiple time dont help. Any1 can say how refund if i buy preoder in steam ?

Cover mechanics training on PC..similar issue..

There's a soldier standing in my way, not allowing me to walk past. I've tried shooting him, restarting the mission, making a new campaign, it's the same way every time, and he cannot be killed. I can't run around him either, since I get locked into cover once I approach it.

I watched a video and he's supposed to go in cover with you and end up getting shot. Doesn't happen for me, he just stands there.

Carter keeps screaming "☺☺☺☺!" and "Goddammit."
    My thoughts exactly.

Edit:
    Managed to get past him by reloading multiple times so I didn't get stuck in cover.

Then this happened.

They don't seem to mind having their heads blown off.
    Regarding your first screen shot. I also can't seem to get him to move to the next cover spot.. left-shift does NOTHING.. so there's an invisible wall in front of me.. I was slow to finally decide to start playing this game and now I am wishing I hadn't.. definitely not optimized for PC. I've tried dashing down the hall using the let-shift so I know that works but A+D+Left-shift? Come on.. do I need three fingers just to get this guy to move from cover to cover on PC? ridiculous! I kinda wanted to give this game a chance.. not starting to well.. and I'm an X-COM (note the dash) fan from WAY back. Any help? Anyone seen this before? I'm using an ASUS G75V, 3GB GTX 670M video, 12GB ram, running the game from steam folder on the D volume of my SSD..so it's not a hardware issue.. almost like a keystroke recognition issue by the game. odd.. right now this is just $44 worth of crap until I can get it working.. heard it was an OK game so on my one day off this week I was looking forward to a nice distraction from work. Appreciate any and all advice.. I must be doing something stupid (key mapping change didn't work either).

Quote Originally Posted by UFODefenseFan View Post
    Regarding your first screen shot. I also can't seem to get him to move to the next cover spot.. left-shift does NOTHING.. so there's an invisible wall in front of me.. I was slow to finally decide to start playing this game and now I am wishing I hadn't.. definitely not optimized for PC. I've tried dashing down the hall using the let-shift so I know that works but A+D+Left-shift? Come on.. do I need three fingers just to get this guy to move from cover to cover on PC? ridiculous! I kinda wanted to give this game a chance.. not starting to well.. and I'm an X-COM (note the dash) fan from WAY back. Any help? Anyone seen this before? I'm using an ASUS G75V, 3GB GTX 670M video, 12GB ram, running the game from steam folder on the D volume of my SSD..so it's not a hardware issue.. almost like a keystroke recognition issue by the game. odd.. right now this is just $44 worth of crap until I can get it working.. heard it was an OK game so on my one day off this week I was looking forward to a nice distraction from work. Appreciate any and all advice.. I must be doing something stupid (key mapping change didn't work either).

....figured it out, but it was NOT intuitive.. I had to face Carter toward the wall..try and move forward with "W" then wait for the "L-shift" icon to appear.. stop trying to move then use left-shift.. pain in the.. *&&%$#@ why not just a simple move control key with a cover control key like every other game out there? Left shift for move fast/cover and also jump between cover? (and also vault?) I hope they re-write that code.. I'm sure on console it's not an issue.. heck I'd rather hook my PS3 controller up to the PC if it's going to be that cumbersome.. except wait.. no controller support for the PC version of the game.. oops. Anywho.. hope this helps other newbs get past the first cover mechanics intro.

It never created a My Documents folder, for some reason. I found a folder in the game's Steam directory though named Saves however there was nothing inside. I went in the game, deleted the campaign through there, and ended the process. I deleted all the files in the Config folders. I'll re-verify and tell you what happens.

Edit: Still broken.
    My new computer should be arriving later today. If the game doesn't work on it I'll be asking for a refund.
    Hi CrazyMLC,
    Solved the problem?
    I'm in the same situation as you showed before.
    Any suggestions to get out of stuck?
    Tks,

Borreh1973
    Last edited by Borreh1973; 08-28-2013 at 11:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Borreh1973 View Post
    Hi CrazyMLC,
    Solved the problem?
    I'm in the same situation as you showed before.
    Any suggestions to get out of stuck?
    Tks,

Borreh1973
    I've had no luck. I haven't even been able to give the game a chance because of these issues.

I've been very disappointed with my current experience with the game, as an owner of every other X-COM game.

It takes awhile for him to move on the first wall, the soldier should get shot and killed by the UFO outside, and so will Carter if you move away from the wall. The way to make him move is to face ahead in the direction he is moving, if you do not he will not move, if you move away from the wall, he will have no cover, and will die, I know I just been through it, and you will get use to the way the game works, or else make him perpendicular ( you are facing the wall and he is moving to the side back and forth), but move the mouse until Carter can move in the scene is what I am saying. It was late last night when I was trying to move him also, but move the mouse so the scene faces a different direction until Carter can move.

And if the game is installed correctly, the game works fine, but I bought the game and installed it from DVD's just like Enemy Unknown and then Steam has to install some added stuff that takes about another or so half hour, then the game will be ready to play, and move the mouse so the direction Carter goes is a direction he can go. Now to get use to the other controls in the game because well, I just don't play these type of games (turn-based strategy for me only - older) and take out the rating to make it only for 17+ since to me these type of games work better by 14 year olds to play in the first place but not for me. Yes, Carter has dies a few times already on Easy, getting use to the Controls of this game, and I may never get use to them.
    ??
    Oh, well my problem, but the game runs fine so far if using Default Settings except I even lowered perhaps the frame rate to 30 instead of 60 but I have to check on that.
    What was I talking about??
    Who cares??

The aliens are likely to win this game, Enemy Unknown - no!

mmmmmm,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,perhaps this forum is not working correctly either right today on 9/9 can't see all the postings.

Second time though threw this, I hit the "d" key first, then the left shift and yes, that seems to be the way to do it, or "A" and shift left then if you want to go backwards in the game - the wrong way, but the first time doing that the game will make the player wait, but then he will start moving when you want him to.
    Last edited by spacegrumpalf; 09-09-2013 at 12:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by spacegrumpalf View Post
    It takes awhile for him to move on the first wall, the soldier should get shot and killed by the UFO outside, and so will Carter if you move away from the wall. The way to make him move is to face ahead in the direction he is moving, if you do not he will not move, if you move away from the wall, he will have no cover, and will die, I know I just been through it, and you will get use to the way the game works, or else make him perpendicular ( you are facing the wall and he is moving to the side back and forth), but move the mouse until Carter can move in the scene is what I am saying. It was late last night when I was trying to move him also, but move the mouse so the scene faces a different direction until Carter can move.
    [...]

Thanks for help but this has nothing related to the problem presented in this thread. Strategy is not difficult. It's a complete stuck and locking of game. Kill or not kill the sectoids or pass beside them will not change anything. The game is not working on some PC configurations.
    This thread talks about it!

See the first image in first post. The soldier NOT DIE. He is immortal and does not run, never run and forever will be stopped. If you bypass the immortal soldier, you will find other NPCs useless and immobile. Some you can start with the head shots and they do NOTHING. Only will be there forever. The heads are plucked invisible but they are there, can you see these shooting again. Standing dead, NPCs NOT MOVE. It's buggy. The game does not work on some PCs - some top Radeon or GeForce - have problems in this game.
    Last edited by Borreh1973; 09-09-2013 at 10:59 AM. Reason: more details to understand a problem

more information to explain a problem

[...]

mmmmmm,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,perhaps this forum is not working correctly either right today on 9/9 can't see all the postings.

Second time though threw this, I hit the "d" key first, then the left shift and yes, that seems to be the way to do it, or "A" and shift left then if you want to go backwards in the game - the wrong way, but the first time doing that the game will make the player wait, but then he will start moving when you want him to.
    Thanks for help but this is not a problem of strategy or misuse of keys to move agent walking or running.
    It is a bigger problem than we can explain. I'll try again.

The soldier who see the first image in the first post in this thread. He will never run. It is immortal. All you'll hit shots and he will be there forever. You can work around this and follow. You will find these sectoids and shoots. Kill the two and smashes their heads. The heads are invisible and are still there. Shoot again they shine with shots.
    And runs out to watch a cutscene. Soldier dies in cutscene. The other agent runs and closes the door. You can do what you want to do. Kill sectoids and jump, or jump and kill sectoids. Whatever. The game is already locked. No NPC moved an inch, no shot this fired. Nothing happens. His head explodes. It changes nothing. He does not move, he does not shoot, do not appear in the other roof. Nothing happens.

The game is buggy. Players with top line PCs - top video cards Radeon or NVidia - and we still are not making the game work.

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help...-c0000005.html

Follow the instructions, should work for any crash.

Follow the instructions, should work for any crash.
    Funfact: Game isn't crashing.

Game is just NOT PROGRESSING. There are living aliens WITHOUT HEADS and soldiers standing in paths when THEY should be dead.

The game is NOT crashing for us, the game is simply BROKEN TO ALL HELL.

The game works fine on my computer, and the guy gets shotl in that first picture, and the game does not really start until the first mission which is Rosemont University, the Agents in the first part helping when they help are level 5, when you pick your Agents in the game, all are Rookies and level 1 like Carter is.

??
    Otherwise I do not know, runs fine on my PC, audio is synced, graphics are good enough, and the game plays fine, no problems.

And in the first picture, the wall should be facing you otherwise you would have to hit "w" to move, but it wants you to use "a" and "d" so turn the picture so the wall is ahead of you as the player and going from left to right, then hit "d" then shift-left to move him.

The soldier should be hit and dead actually quite right away in that scene.

If you do not move the scene with the mouse facing the correct direction, you will sit there all day in that picture trying to move, and Carter will not. Even if trying to use "w" you are still not lined up to use it, move the scene around with the mouse on a PC.

And a player can turn on - Hints - for the game while in the beginning the game is telling you how to control movement, and the F5 key to know where you are going and other things like vaulting over obstacles just before that.

Does that all work in the game, well that is the part to decide, and still the GUI is a bit clunky in some respects.

Don't know what is happening when you play it though????

In mine the guy moves and gets dead right away from the gunship.
    Last edited by spacegrumpalf; 09-10-2013 at 10:42 PM.

who understood the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
    Funfact: Game isn't crashing.
    Game is just NOT PROGRESSING. There are living aliens WITHOUT HEADS and soldiers standing in paths when THEY should be dead.
    The game is NOT crashing for us, the game is simply BROKEN TO ALL HELL.
    I agree with you.

In fact, sometimes only people with the problem are those who understood the problem. It's hard to explain to other people to know this problem is not players ... is something in the game that stops working after 5 seconds playing.

I'm leaving and I will continue watching this forum on the outside.

2K Games will fix it. Someday will.

Well, that may be, that is why I can only play this game on Rookie level. There is only a certain degree of where the scene can be off to move Carter, otherwise the game will not progress and the game will "sit" there forever.

In that first scene if Carter is trying to move into the outside wall, the game will not do that, and the scene does not progress, and the soldier will not be shot, until the scene is lined up so Carter can move in one of only 4 directions using the "w, s, a, d" keys.

The unfun part is the mouse has to move around the desk with your other hand while using the keyboard with the one hand to move Carter, the entire game is like that.

The heads of the aliens will not progress, the game will not progress, it will sit there waiting on the player to actually find out how to work the game.

That in its self makes it somewhat cumbersome and hard for me to play any other level than Rookie right now, Squaddie level was a complete bust, Carter was dead, dead, dead, dead, or how much pain can a player go through working this game.

Well, back to Rookie game, I guess, only for me.

There smiley face to produce emotion about the GUI in the game.

You.. you really don't get it, do you? This isn't a matter of difficulty!

The NPC, the soldier, NOTHING HAPPENS TO HIM. He's just standing there. I GET that in YOUR GAME and in A LOT OF OTHER PEOPLE'S, that he dies and you can move on with no problem.

In OUR GAME, he's NOT. He's just standing there. The lasers fire at him and NOTHING HAPPENED. You can't move past him. You can't move to the next cover, DESPITE the tutorial saying 'yes, this is the spot, hold D and press shift to move to the next cover'. I've been holding D and pressing Shift, but my character outright refuses to move RIGHT THROUGH the soldier that is NOT DEAD.

I have no idea if this game is difficult, because frankly, it's impossible to play due to a SEVERE, GAMEBREAKING BUG in the form of a soldier that won't die when it is supposed to.

Not to be an ass, but did you try starting over? And you mention that one time you got past, how is that game progressing?

Make out a support ticket then to 2K games support. This is only a forum for discussion, not support for any game.

Look at it from our view, the game works, why it don't on your computer is well for lack of a better word - your computer can't be that much different than any other computer.

Here are some other things:
    With Nvidia drivers, nothing for my GT440 works past 306 version drivers, not 310.90, 314.22, 320.49, 326.80 because at some time during like Enemy Unknown, the drivers will crash for no reason, other people say their graphics are freezing on the screen in a game. If OVERCLOCKING then do what this website says to do and see if it is the video drivers, or whatever driver.

I use version 306.23 for both games and I have no freezes or crashes because of video drivers.

geforce.com - forum is another place you can read comments about what is going on with Nvidia drivers.

http://www.guru3d.com/files/index.html

Since you mention nothing about what you are using, perhaps check your video drivers and audio drivers.

Or make a support ticket out to 2K game support, and read the readme file for the game - the Bureau. There is nothing in My Documents - My Games for that game anyway on my system, and both games for XCOM are on my G:\ drive partition.

Only Enemy Unknown has something in My Games on the C:\ drive partition.

And I OVERCLOCK nothing on my computer.
    Last edited by spacegrumpalf; 09-14-2013 at 07:06 PM.

the answer must be in the forums

Make out a support ticket then to 2K games support. This is only a forum for discussion, not support for any game.

[...]
    Read a reply I received to question 2K support ticket open.

'Hello XXXXXX,
    I apologize, that is all I can suggest. Like I said though, I am sure there will be some answers one day. I can only suggest keep looking in the forums.
    Best Regards,
    YYYYYYY.

September 10, 2013 10:02'

Someday we will laugh together this answer. Ok?

[...]
    Here are some other things:
    With Nvidia drivers, nothing for my GT440 works past 306 version drivers, not 310.90, 314.22, 320.49, 326.80 because at some time during like Enemy Unknown, the drivers will crash for no reason, other people say their graphics are freezing on the screen in a game. If OVERCLOCKING then do what this website says to do and see if it is the video drivers, or whatever driver.
    [...]
    Since you mention nothing about what you are using, perhaps check your video drivers and audio drivers.
    The big problem that we find not only attacks NVidia cards. For example, I have a Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 Vapor-X 6Gb, perfect working PC with dozens of top games - Steam and Origin and Uplay systems - all drivers, BIOS, OS updated and I could not play this damned game.
    Thus, the problem is in the engineering of the game, not on our computers. That's it!

If the problem were purely in the game, it would affect everyone. It doesn't.

Thus there is something unusual about how the game is interacting with some people's systems (or there are problems with corrupt installs, etc etc).

Just because other games work fine, doesn't mean that problems with this game can't be solved by changing things on your computer. It's worth trying things like making sure Windows is up-to-date, using the most current WHQL drivers, failing that the current beta drivers, failing that going back a few versions. Turn off any overclocking present. Any of those things can fix problems, even if the problem shows up in only one game.

I agree with you.

In fact, sometimes only people with the problem are those who understood the problem. It's hard to explain to other people to know this problem is not players ... is something in the game that stops working after 5 seconds playing.

Oh my God! I have to stop being stubborn! I tried again. Forgive me.

Even with graphics card manufacturers they all use whatever chip the way they want to (I suppose it is suppose to be according to Nvidia guidelines or AMD guidelines), but anyway, I think some players are finding out that with certain drivers their video (graphics) card does not work like it should I suppose. ?? With some, overclocking may be making the card hotter when running games, and actually it is wearing out quicker (or it has to be fixed sooner).

Whatever it is, it seems to be somewhat of a nutter world, so between the BIOS programs on the computer, the motherboard and the way the manufacturer made it, and other things like that through the graphics card, it has been found to be something in the computer or something else than the game creating the problem.

With the Unreal Engine, they would have to fix that (not 2K games) because they rent it out or whatever they do, so if Firaxis or 2K Marin is using the engine, then if using it the way they do, that engine should work.

There is always the question mark about anything, but checking out your computer or like me checking out my computer to make sure it is not something there is about all any player can do.

Hope you find out what it is, as I try to finish this game (which is not my type of game) and probably only on Rookie level.

And on top of all of that with the manufacturer's, I guess my new computer only has PCIe-Generation 2 slot, while newer video cards (from Nvidia yes, I know you have Radeon but probably similiar) is that those may only work well in PCIe-Generation 3 slots.

Yep, before I switch to a faster newer video card, I may have to buy a better computer than the one I bought. Right now I am not sure, but so far, I guess I will use my GT440, since it is only 2-1/2 years old to begin with, not 4-5 years old.

Oh, well.

Don't get me wrong though, I can still play both games probably based on Enemy Unknown more with the newer drivers, except that sometime playing the game the drivers will bounce me back to desktop and state something silly like the game is still working, which only means to me to shut the game down in Task Manager, and start it up again, at the last save I had and go from there (which is before every mission in Enemy Unknown - not the same as The Bureau, but the Bureau does that automatically at the beginnging of the mission except some missions are more than one part, and several parts but still the game saves in those parts also.)

Just don't want the hassle as of now, in case Nvidia fixes all the problems (and they are not fully tested) perhaps.
    And still with certain version of drivers for graphics from Nvidia, I could sit there all day and the game will crash every time like with the 310.90 version and the game will never be able to be played, but change the drivers and the game works then.
    Last edited by spacegrumpalf; 09-15-2013 at 05:28 PM.

Smile Problem fixed

I agree with you.

Finally.
    Problem fixed after last patch.

A player: - Did not take much, does not it?
    Another player: - R.I.P. a month ago while waiting for this fix.

I only got to this game now, so I'm hoping the people who were involved with this thread are still around...
    Where is this patch? I bought the game from Steam, and figured it would be as updated as can be, but I'm having the same problems reported here - sodier in the gall not dying (I bypassed that by going into shelter only after passing him), aliens standing there, having their heads blown off, and nothing happens. I obviously can't continue the game, and if there is no fix, this was a waste of money.

The patch would be automatic in the download if you have autodownloads check on the Steam Client.

Perhaps check your files in the game by right clicking on the game in Library on the Steam Client and selecting Properties and Check File Cache - whatever it is there on that tab - File Cache Check or something like that.

Check also on the Properties if you have autoupdates for the game also.
    Then anything that comes out when on-line with Steam Client will start downloading loading the patch or whatever.

I had this issue after getting this game in a 3 day Humble Bundle giveway, this thread popped up when I Googled the AI being stuck (soldiers not running around and that first guy not in cover, shooting the aliens would pop their heads and they would remain standing and not moving, etc). I currently run on Windows 10.

The way that I fixed it is by going to my Steam library, right clicking the game's name in my Games list, and selecting "The Bureau: XCOM Declassified (DX11)"

After doing that just once, the AI was working and it was not broken again when I shut the game down and re-launched it from the desktop. So it's all good now.

Hope that helps someone else!