I think it should be Kobe Bryant on cover, honestly. I can see it coming. But, let's take a look, who deserves to be on cover. First guy in my mind - Steph Curry. He's not my favorite but I respect him. He's great player and all that stuff but I think he shouldn't be cover athlete again.
Second one is LeBron James, one of my favorites, to be honest. He was on 2K14 cover, still fresh expirience and I don't think he's going to be this year. Same for Kevin Durant, 2K15 cover athlete (2K13 also).
Russell Westbrook is LIVE guy, he's not in conversation.
These are top 5 players for 2K17 cover athlete:
1. Kobe Bryant - man is retiring, they can really make a advertising explosion behind that, he can be in some new features, maybe in MyCareer mode. They could came up with new slogan, for example, NBA 2K17: Build your Legacy; NBA 2K17: Legacy; etc. The strongest reason is - Kobe is a guy who's going to motivate people to pre-order the game.
2. Dwayne Wade - he is so underrated. He deserves to be on cover, he's already a veteran in the league.
3. Paul George - also underrated, but not that much like D-Wade, he's on cover of MyNBA2K game. But, I just don't think they're going to came up with him.
4. Chris Paul - CP3 is amazing. One of a kind. He deserves to be on 2K game after all those years.
5. Carmelo Anthony - he's really kind of guy to be on cover for something. They can really make an impact with Melo on cover.
That's from my stand point.
Black Mamba strikes again.