Thread: nVidia against AMD or others.

nVidia against AMD or others.

For those who have CRASH ISSUES ONLY, please list your graphics card/chip set name and model.

By "Crash" problems I mean CDT, forced reset by having to free up your PC by holding down on the power button or a massive crash that simulates a power outage.

Also please state if repeatable or random: i.e., always the same time and place or happens casually. Feel free to give examples.

Mine is an nVidia GTX 760: category 3 power outage. Repeatable, at the final mission when the corridor appears with soldiers ready to salute. (Had to watch a YouTube video to see what happens next.)
    Last edited by beerfest60; 03-13-2016 at 11:24 AM.

Thanks for starting this thread.

I've experienced all three crashes in different circumstances, some random some repeatable. I have an nVidia GTX 570.

Looking at the thread dedicated to crash reports, nVidia cards seem much more likely to crash while running the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Carre View Post
    Thanks for starting this thread.

I've experienced all three crashes in different circumstances, some random some repeatable. I have an nVidia GTX 570.

Looking at the thread dedicated to crash reports, nVidia cards seem much more likely to crash while running the game.
    I Have not gone through all the posts but appears to be at least a 10:1 ratio for nVidia over ATI for crash issues.
    Also note in nVidia control panel under /Stereoscopic 3d/ View rating for games, XCom 2 has a rating of "Not Recommended" for 3D vision mode.

{EDIT] I should start another thread titled "nViadia knows this game sux".

Well, I'm running an AMD machine with a ASUS STRIX Radeon R7 370 4GB DirectCU II graphics card, and pre-patch the game worked very fine. I could run it even at maximum settings without any performance issues and I played it for over 30 hours and can't recall a single crash (guess I didn't know then how lucky I was..). But post-patch I can't play it at all since the game keeps crashing every-single-time it attempts to load a mission. And it doesn't matter what I do, I've tried everything at this point, reinstalling the game, removing all mods, etc... it just keeps crashing....

So, great "performance" patch there. Totally wrecked the game for me.

I'm running a NVIDIA GeForce GT750M, and I've had a fair number of crashes, although the game definitely lasts longer (on average) after this first performance patch.

I've looked though my log files, and the error is often
    Log: GetQueryData - Timed out while waiting for GPU to catch up. (500 ms)
    repeated numerous times, directly before the crash. I wonder how common this is.

Another point I found in the logs was that the game initializes with:

[0000.86] Log: resX=1280, resY=720
    [0000.89] Log: Found D3D11 adapter 0: NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M
    [0000.89] Log: Adapter has 1991MB of dedicated video memory, 0MB of dedicated system memory, and 3956MB of shared system memory
    [0000.90] Log: Found D3D11 adapter 1: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600
    [0000.90] Log: Adapter has 112MB of dedicated video memory, 0MB of dedicated system memory, and 3956MB of shared system memory
    [0000.90] Log: Found D3D11 adapter 2: Microsoft Basic Render Driver
    [0000.90] Log: Adapter has 0MB of dedicated video memory, 0MB of dedicated system memory, and 3956MB of shared system memory
    [0000.91] Log: Shader platform (RHI): PC-D3D-SM4
    [0000.93] Log: PhysX GPU Support: ENABLED
    In fact, my NVIDIA control panel shows that the card has 2048MB of dedicated video memory. As well, I had to go into the Config .ini files in order to get PhysX running - for a while, the final entry here would say "DISABLED". I've lowered the resolution from my native 1366x768 to 1280x720, and have seen an improvement in performance, but there are still crashes.

Another strange thing found in the NVIDIA control panel is that it shows that Ambient Occlusion is "not supported for this application", when there are indeed AO options in the game.
    There was a terrible ghastly silence. There was a terrible ghastly noise. There was a terrible ghastly silence.

Quote Originally Posted by beerfest60 View Post
    For those who have CRASH ISSUES ONLY, please list your graphics card/chip set name and model.

By "Crash" problems I mean CDT, forced reset by having to free up your PC by holding down on the power button or a massive crash that simulates a power outage.

Also please state if repeatable or random: i.e., always the same time and place or happens casually. Feel free to give examples.

Mine is an nVidia GTX 760: category 3 power outage. Repeatable, at the final mission when the corridor appears with soldiers ready to salute. (Had to watch a YouTube video to see what happens next.)
    Hi Beerfest,

I have the same issue as you final mission cutscene "you are Xcom" and then as you're about to jump out Boom! Pc shuts down and reboots to the black screen with white letters about do you wish to start normal or in safe mode...

AMD R9270 3Gb Ram latest drivers 17.7.2 for what it's worth it I have a dual monitor set up although I only play on my main screen @1920*1080 on medium graphics.

Tried verifying integrity, disabling mods; lowering graphics and windowed mode game still gives me the crash at that cutscene.

Necro'ing really isn't appreciated.
    Please open a new support thread for your issue.
    “If you are involved in a game, everything ends up being a set of trade-offs. Anything in a game is a sacrifice of things not in the game.” --Gabe Newell

Playing Firaxis games and helping out in the Official 2K Forums!
    My Blog: donald23.nl
    Steam profile: donald23