Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Video game wrestlers (or any other medium)

1. Quote Originally Posted by Zeokage View Post
    Well, Tiger Mask, Black Tiger and Jushin Thunder Liger as wrestlers were inspired by anime/manga, weren't they? I guess they belong in the list for that reason even if actual wrestlers based on them exist.
    Yes,i believe that is correct.

For the "others" how about the Luchadores from MAD TV:

El Diablo Negro,
    El Asso Wipo and,
    Senor Bag of Crap

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBuV...BuVoasyBw0#t=9

We've had the holiday season since we last looked at this, and with WrestleMania gone I wondered if any new wrestlers had surfaced.
    'ALOT' is NOT A WORD!
    There's a space between the 'a' and the 'lot'. Similarly with the 'words' below...

abit, atleast, eachother, afew, aswell, apart of, incase, inbetween, infact, ofcourse

Not newly surfaced by any stretch of the imagination, but what about characters from the MDickie wrestling series who aren't caricatures of real wrestlers, or at least blatantly obvious ones like Brook Lazer and Kirk Angel?
    UNION Wrestling Season 2 OUTLAST THE ODDS this Sunday! (here)
    ReverseLegSweep: MyPlayer Misadventures NXT debut now up! (here)
    WWE 2K Wiki (here) 2K/YUKE'S Characters (here) WW-Eek Alt. WWE Universe (here)

I've never played those games but aren't they all based on actual wrestlers?
    https://www.reddit.com/r/WrestlingRe..._100_complete/

Which reminds me, I should remove the Cutie Suzuki game from that list as they're also seen as real wrestlers with different names.
    'ALOT' is NOT A WORD!
    There's a space between the 'a' and the 'lot'. Similarly with the 'words' below...

abit, atleast, eachother, afew, aswell, apart of, incase, inbetween, infact, ofcourse

I think there's exceptions. Mat Dickie, for example, is a fictionalised version of the creator himself. He had to make that clear as he's the main antagonist of Federation Wrestling.

Others, like Whack Ax and Whack Oz, who've appeared in all of his wrestling games I think, take bits of inspiration from real wrestlers but maintain their own identity.

Could be wrong, though.

Kiryu Kazama does a badass dropkick and suplex onto railings with one of his fighting styles in Yakuza 0...

Careful, Kazuma Kiryu is a different person to Shintaro Kazama. Don't want to get them mixed up.

That said, while those moves are wrestling-based, Kiryu isn't a wrestler by trade. Unless one of his teachers during the game is a wrestler (in which case, they might be a better candidate) I'm not sure he would quite fit the list. Although, while I've still got to get through the games myself, from looking at the Wiki it appears Taiga Saejima and Gary B.Holmes may fit the bill a bit better.

I'd have to see them in action, though.
    'ALOT' is NOT A WORD!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeokage View Post
    Careful, Kazuma Kiryu is a different person to Shintaro Kazama. Don't want to get them mixed up.
    I did that the first time I saw anything about Shinsuke Nakamura. I was really confused at first because of the former Celtic midfielder Shunsuke Nakamura being in my head.

Looking over your list, does the trainer Sal from Ready To Rumble count? Although he doesn't really do much in the film, I did read once that he was based on Stu Hart.

Non videogame wise there was that Honey I Shrunk The Kid (TV Show) episode called Honey, I'm Wrestling with a Problem... and the Chief which had Wayne Szalinski (played by Peter Scolari) and Chief Jake McKenna (played by George Buza) while wearing strength-enhancing suits wrestle the Executioner Brothers (Judge and Jury) after the Hart Brothers got injured in the episode. The episode also features a tribute to Owen Hart.

TV Tropes has a lot of non videogame examples in its Pro Wrestling Episode trope that would fall in the Others section including Cherry Blossom from the MLPFIM comic book series. Another example would be Leonard Ghostal (played by Randy Savage) whom was Space Ghost's retired wrestlergrandfather in Space Ghost Coast to Coast.

Fire Pro Wrestling World:

• Abbie Jones
    • Alex Thompson
    • Allen Hawkins
    • Blan Fleming
    • Blood Angel
    • Bobby Bobby
    • Caroline Collins
    • Dag Boomer
    • Dai Fugo
    • Damon Smith
    • Edward Joseph
    • Ernest Miller
    • Fuji Akatsuki
    • Jamie Wilson
    • Jose Santos
    • Karts Rowdy
    • Keiichiro Hinomiya
    • Laurence Holland
    • Leonardo Pascual
    • Lindsay Stewart
    • Max Bertrand
    • Mr.Cobra
    • Oliver Espadas
    • Red Dragon
    • Sam Blocks
    • Soji Kanda
    • Sophia Rodrigues
    • Steel Johnson
    • Takayi Hinomiya
    • Trevor Darius

Don't think I've missed anyone off...

Are any of those real or based on real wrestlers? Ernest Miller was "The Cat" in WCW, wasn't he? I still have to take a good look at the default roster...
    'ALOT' is NOT A WORD!

According to everything I read in the run up to FPWW, the standard wrestlers are generic as opposed to being based on anything... it could be a coincidence, though I admit I did have a moment when reading Miller's name.

Oh my God, Rumble Roses. Dozens of hours in Rumble Roses for PS2, hundreds of hours in Rumble Roses XX for 360.

Just a correction: As far as I remember from PS2 Rumble Roses Story Mode (RRXX for 360 didn't have one) Kamikaze Rose is not Lady X (Substance/Subsistance). Lady X is just a cyborg made from the DNA and data of the greatest wrestlers of Rumble Roses universe (think Dragon Ball's Cell with a more sexy look and without absorbing girls inside her), Kamikaze Rose being the base for it's inspiration, but it's not her. Kamikaze Rose is Reiko Hinomoto/Rowdy Reiko* and Noble Rose/Evil Rose* mother and so far she has never appeared in any Rumble Roses game.

I would really, really like a third Rumble Roses game for PS4, but last time I heard about the franchise it was turned into a panchiko

About the thread's matter: None of the Rumble Roses roster seems to be based on real life wrestlers. They all are an stereotype: the son of the famous wrestler, the daredevil, the cowgirl, the schoolgirl, the dominatrix, the pop star, the ninja, the judoka...a lot of them are fantasy based (there is a robot, a ninja, and a couple of Superstars versions turn the wrestlers into dragon-woman and an alien) and those who are not are just stereotypes so every player has his own adult fantas...I mean, favorite female gimmick portrayed in the game.

*Reiko Hinomoto is the Face version of the character, while Rowdy Reiko is the Heel. Same goes for Noble Rose/Evil Rose and for the rest of the cast. In Rumble Roses, Face and Heel versions are entirely different characters gameplay-wise with different entrances, attires (and even physical looks like hairstyle, hair color or even eye color for those who uses lenses), gimmick/nickname, Tag Team alliances, completely different movesets and Killer, Lethal and Humiliation moves (Finishers) and some unique RX Moves (Tag Team Finishers). On top of that, RRXX added Superstars version (+80 popularity) of both Face and Heel personas, which change the entrance, attire, gimmick/nickname, regular moveset and specifically the Lethal Move (Killer and Humiliation remain the same) into a Super Lethal Move that's way more effective, normally a match ending move (if it's a submission, it's near impossible to escape, if it's a regular damaging move it's near impossible to kick out no matter whether the move includes a Pin as part of the animation or said Pin is performed right after hitting it).

Yeah, I know, about half this message doesn't interest any. It's just that I am a big fan of Rumble Roses

I'm aware that Kamikaze Rose isn't really Lady X, but from the Story Mode she might as well have that name as an alt seeing as her DNA appears to be the only one that was used in the creation of the cyborg. It's kind of surprising that no-one designed or drew a non-cyborg version of her from what I can tell.
    'ALOT' is NOT A WORD!

I think so too. Considering Kamikaze Rose is the main reason for the apparent protagonist's (Reiko) story in the first one, one would assume they would have at least make a design of her, either as a secret character or as an alt for the human form or Lady X. Hell, even a concept design in the RRXX Shop would have been enough. Guess we will never knew how she looked seeing how the franchise likely won't be continuated ever.

By the way, I didn't know you were a fan of Rumble Roses too Zeo!

If you didn't know, then you have missed my posts where I say I download the roster as CC every year to pad out my Women's Division in the WWE 2K games. I've just done the same for Fire Pro as well. I originally played it in Japan on the PS2 and found a copy over here later on. I have the sequel but haven't gone into it much yet as I still have the original to complete and also record their move lists.

What I meant by the non-Cyborg version was that I haven't seen any fan art either. Then again, I haven't attempted to search in Japanese yet, that's going to be far more likely.
    'ALOT' is NOT A WORD!

I've been doing a little search, and apparently Birdie from Street Fighter is/was a professional wrestler. I also found four characters (Victor Ortega, Rip Saber, Black Widow and The Wraith) from Slam Masters II, Burnov from Double Dragon and others from here...

https://www.giantbomb.com/profession...26/characters/

Dragon Slam: Riona Ichinose and Dick Gorunouskye
    Ultimate Body Blows: Dug
    Asura Cross: Father Faith
    Tuff E Nuff: Vortz and Gajet
    The Kung-Fu Master Jackie Chan: Kim-Maree
    Fighting Simulator 2-In-1 Flying Warriors: Mercabe
    Tough Guy: Stan
    Ultimate Fighter on the SNES seems to have a few

Looks like there's still an ocean of characters to find.
    'ALOT' is NOT A WORD!

There used to be this game I loved back in the day called PowerMove Pro Wrestling, would you count that? I think a lot of them are based off of Japanese wrestlers though and I even think it was a remake, although I’m not positive about that...

https://www.giantbomb.com/power-move...ing/3030-9216/

• Agent Orange
    • Area 51
    • Chaingang
    • The Commandant
    • Da’ Judge
    • Danny McGee
    • The Egyptian Conniption
    • El Temblor
    • King OG
    • Lance Dewlock
    • Malibu Mike Swanson
    • Zombie

I just went and read all their back stories again, which was pretty cool. I think I was around 5-6 when that came out lol. So they are unique characters with back stories, but apparently they’re based off of Japanese wrestlers. But I haven’t found which ones...
    Last edited by Unearth; 1 Week Ago at 04:24 PM.

That game was the Western version of Toukon Retsuden, although it seems all the characters were replaced. No idea if the moves were as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGuL6LctVzQ - Powermove Pro Wrestling
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ewrw7rTbWmQ - Toukon Retsuden

The question is whether it should still count. Probably falls into the same category as Cutie Suzuki No Ringside Angel...
    'ALOT' is NOT A WORD!

It seems to me it would, but it’s ultimately upto you if you think it should count. It’s basically an all re-skinned version of that game, yes, and apparently it’s pretty rare from what I’m reading. If you look at this GameFaq’s article it lists their individual profiles.

It also has a list of their special moves, but I have no clue if they’ve been replaced or not. Agent Orange, for example, is apparently supposed to be a re skin of Hiroyoshi Tenzan. His signature moves (Agent Orange) in the game are Mongolian Chop, Inverted PileDriver, Fisherman’s Carry Drop, and a double Axe handle.

The Mongolian Chop is Tenzan's move, so they may not have replaced the moves. The conundrum is whether including them would mean the replacements in the N64 WCW games should be on this list too...

Quote Originally Posted by Game-Only Character thread
    Special Mentions to alter egos of actual characters:
    • Sumo Jo (Genichiro Tenryu - WCW/nWo: World Tour)
    • Kim Chee (Koji Kitao - WCW/nWo: World Tour)
    • Blackheart (Tarzan Goto - WCW/nWo: World Tour)
    • Puchteca (Atsushi Onita - WCW/nWo: World Tour)
    • Hannibal (Hayabusa - WCW/nWo: World Tour)
    • Powder Keg (Terry "Bamm Bamm" Gordy - WCW/nWo: World Tour)
    • Dim Sum (Gedo - WCW/nWo: World Tour)
    • Saladin (Abdullah the Butcher - WCW/nWo: World Tour)
    • Ali Baba (The Original Sheik - WCW/nWo: World Tour)
    • Black Ninja (The Great Sasuke - WCW/nWo: World Tour)
    • Shaolin (Jinsei "Hakushi" Shinzaki - WCW/nWo: World Tour)
    • The Unknown (Super Delfin - WCW/nWo: World Tour)
    • The Claw (Gran Naniwa - WCW/nWo: World Tour)
    • Black Belt (TAKA Michinoku - WCW/nWo: World Tour)
    • PacoLoco (Dick Togo and "Terry Boy" Men's Teioh - WCW/nWo: World Tour)
    • Shaman (Wellington Williams Jr. - WCW/nWo: World Tour)
    • Master Fuji (El Gran Hamada - WCW/nWo: World Tour)
    • Black Widow - Hidden (Manami Toyota - WCW/nWo: World Tour)
    • Shogun (Toshiaki Kawada - WCW/nWo Revenge)
    • Executioner (Kenta Kobashi - WCW/nWo Revenge)
    • Dr. Frank (Jumbo Tsurata - WCW/nWo Revenge)
    • Jekel (Dr. Death Steve Williams - WCW/nWo Revenge)
    • Maya Inca Boy (Akira Taue - WCW/nWo Revenge)
    • Hawk Hana (Genichiro Tenryu - WCW/nWo Revenge)
    • Kim Chee (Koji Kitao - WCW/nWo Revenge)
    • Dake Ken (Atsushi Onita - WCW/nWo Revenge)
    • Brickowski (Mil Mascaras - WCW/nWo Revenge)
    • Ming Chee (Tarzan Goto - WCW/nWo Revenge)
    • Han Zo Man (Hayabusa - WCW/nWo Revenge)
    Which side of the fence should these "reskinned" characters go?
    Last edited by Zeokage; 1 Week Ago at 02:15 PM.
    'ALOT' is NOT A WORD!

Hmm that is interesting. Do you know if they have unique profiles in the game manual? I remember playing that, but don’t remember much back story if any at all. I would pose another question of, are they “reskinned” or just renamed?

I think with Power Move Pro Wrestling, there’s attempt there to deviate away from the actual wrestler because they give you a unique backstory and character description for them. So they’re not really supposed to represent the wrestlers they were edited from, besides maybe the moves.

The WCW/NWO Revenge games are made to represent those wrestlers, but only received a name changed due to copyright reasons correct? So would that be more similar to how a game like Five Star Wrestling depicts Randy Orton and RVD as, Andy Organ and Harvee Dee? Representative of the actual wrestler but with a name change.
    Last edited by Unearth; 1 Week Ago at 07:40 AM.

Seems they were simply renamed and given different backstories, but they're the same model. So that makes your final paragraph correct, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CP7g00Ywb44 - Genichiro Tenryu
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0hKQxaZNaQ - Sumo Jo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGoCAARyQPw - Hayabusa
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVpgMx9VQDY - Hannibal

I see your point in their attempts to avoid legal issues so they had to make them seem original. Would that make these a third category that overlaps? Wrestling alter egos (or legality dodges) or something?

Slightly unrelated to that discussion, I've just seen Angel from King of Fighters. She's mostly Muay Thai, but she incorporates wrestling into some moves too, even does the People's Elbow in the 2002 game. She does the Rock Punch combo in that game as well, and an armdrag that's supposed to be the Rock Bottom. The Rock Bottom > People's Elbow combo is still there in the latest game, I think, but shortened.
    Last edited by Zeokage; 1 Week Ago at 02:56 PM.
    'ALOT' is NOT A WORD!

I'm surprised you haven't listed any of the secret characters from WCW Nitro and WCW/nWo Thunder.

WCW Nitro - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeHksR3gUe4
    WCW/nWo Thunder - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJqh5pJ3fI0
    If you believe in "roster slots" you probably believe in Reptilian Overlords too.
    WWE 2K YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLT...5Hoy8Vw8CRN5-w

I would believe so, yes. While I definitely don’t think they fit your original idea and criteria for that category, they would have to be placed in a separate one if you were to add them anywhere, in my opinion. That would open up a plethora of options to put in a category like that as well. If nothing else, it would at least help to better distinguish between where the line is drawn...

I’m curious to know if a game like WCW vs. The World has similar characters to WCW/NWO World Tour, with completely different names from each other...

To use your example, Hayabusa is Hannibal in WCW/NWO World Tour. I wonder if Hayabusa is in WCW Vs. The World, but under yet another different name? Because looking at the selection screen from this video, Hannibal is not in this game. I’ll have to find a list or video that cycles through all the characters to see...

I’m not sure what you would call that category either. But I like the word doppleganger

Quote Originally Posted by The_Sherminator2 View Post
    I'm surprised you haven't listed any of the secret characters from WCW Nitro and WCW/nWo Thunder.

I completely forgot about those.

Sounds like an interesting search subject. With this many in there, I wouldn't be surprised... Just taking a look at YouTube now, and it seems there are videos with the names of the secret wrestlers next to their real counterparts.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Sherminator2 View Post

I didn't know about those as I never got to play those games... But why would they go in this thread? They're not wrestlers... Maybe for the other thread?
    'ALOT' is NOT A WORD!

Aren’t a lot of those extra characters in those WCW Nitro and Thunder games the dev team?

And @Zeo, what’s your verdict on the Power Move Pro Wrestling roster? What category do you think it better fits? Your original, or an alter ego one?

I'm starting to think we might need a video game alter ego grouping. Not sure if they should end up in this thread, the other one or a completely new one...

I just ran into this in the Street Fighter Wiki, seems there are some new character bios. Hopefully they're real and some moves will come out for them at some point.

http://streetfighter.wikia.com/wiki/..._Pro-Wrestling
    'ALOT' is NOT A WORD!

Can't believe I forgot about this one. The Simpsons did a wrestling episode a while back in which they reveal Grandpa Simpson wrestled as notorious heel Glamorous Godfrey, a clear play on real life wrestling legend Gorgeous George.

https://youtu.be/SEGRDZdDaHk?t=3m17s
    If you believe in "roster slots" you probably believe in Reptilian Overlords too.
    WWE 2K YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLT...5Hoy8Vw8CRN5-w

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12