Thread: Just Checking

Just Checking

Started playing this after starting out with Civ Rev, and loving it so far.

Just wanted to ask a quick question - I've just got the basic game, no expansion packs at all. What exactly am I missing out on in terms of gameplay (as opposed to new civs etc)??

A couple of the strategy guides mention ideology, tourism, faith etc. Am I right in thinking none of this applies to me? What are the main differences in strategy without these things, as compared to what is mentioned in the guides??

Thanks in advance...

The main difference will be culture and espionage.

Gods and Kings introduced faith, which is an all around yield but helps mainly with culture, and spies which can steal technologies from other civs, rig city-states´ election for a little influence for you and less influence for everyone else or coup a city state in order to exchange the influence of its ally with yours at the cost of possibly killing your spy and getting a huge influence penalty in case of failure.

Brave New World introduced Tourism, Ideologies and Trade Route units, and it arguably completely changes the game to a much better version of itself.

Tourism replaces the flat culture victory. Whereas before you had to simply complete 5 trees to win, now it´s a matter of generating enough tourism throughout the game to override the Cultural production of other civs. You "attack" with tourism and "defend" with culture.

Ideologies are special social policies focused on Tall empires (freedom), Wide empires (Order) or Military empires (Autocracy), analogous and complimentary to Tradition, Liberty and Honor, which you can start adopting at the Industrial era with 3 factories or simply reaching the Modern era. Ideologies heavily link to tourism, and if a Civ of a different ideology has enough Tourism pressure upon your civ, it causes unhappiness and even rebellion.

Trade Route units replace Gold yields on Ocean and River tiles. You unlock Trade Route slots through technologies and wonders, and you can use them either to generate Money, a little Science and possibly Faith pressure by connecting with other Civs, to generate money and possibly influence with City-States or to send Food (after granary) and Production (after workshop) to others cities of your empire.

I think this covers the basics, hope that helps.
    If you believe humans are more than ants in any way; if you believe humans can do anything unnatural; if you believe evolution can be stopped or directed towards a "worse" path by human medicine - you´re religious, regardless of what you think about gods.

Brilliant, thanks for that.

A lot of the strategy guides go into a fair bit of detail about ideologies, tourism, faith etc, so I can ignore those bits altogether. correct?

The basic game has a lot to keep me going just now, so may look at expansions at a later date, after getting the hang of the base game.

Also, am I right in thinking that you can't capture an opponent's Great Person, like you can do in Civ Rev?

When you get the chance of combat upgrades such as the rough terrain and open terrain, which tile does it refer to? So, if you're on a rough terrain and the enemy is on an open one (or vice versa) which one determines whether or not the bonus is applied?