Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 41 to 63 of 63

Thread: Do you want the possible Mafia IV to go back to 20s/30s?

  1. #41
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    350
    I disagree. I think h13 and 2k are messing up the series. If they want a political game, make a political game, not mafia. Also, gta is better than mafia 3, and I really dislike gta (although 5 started of good, it got boring fast, just like mafia 3, correlation? ).
    If all you want is a neverending game, go play wow or teso or something.
    Mafia games have been about 1 person moving up in rank through the mob. Mafia 3 was a terrible mafia game, and more of a gta style do whatever you want because he is a peed off person, and he does stuff just to do stuff. And then they tacked on a mafia-esque cut scene story.
    Go back to their roots and make a good mafia game, and forget these open world games because they all end up the same, with the same fetch quests, kill someone quest, and it just all runs together.
    The old mafia's told a story about all the character, even the locksmith guy. But it was so good because it was in a tight, singular storyline, not an open world fetch quest setting.
    Wish in 1 hand, 2k in the other.

  2. #42
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    2,236
    I hope the next one(if it happens) has a new main character like the games before it. Old characters could be there too but we should play as a new one.

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    159
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave3d View Post
    Go back to their roots and make a good mafia game, and forget these open world games because they all end up the same, with the same fetch quests, kill someone quest, and it just all runs together.
    The old mafia's told a story about all the character, even the locksmith guy. But it was so good because it was in a tight, singular storyline, not an open world fetch quest setting.
    If you go to the Mafia II forum and dig around, the biggest complaint by far was that, while it had a huge open world, there was nothing at all to do in it. The side quests that were originally intended were cut from the final game and aside from collecting wanted posters, there was no reason to explore beyond where the story sent you. This was why they made Mafia III a true open world game, to satisfy the fan demands. It just goes to show, you can't please everyone.

    Mafia II was a great story, there's no denying that, but once you played it, it had no replay value. It's like a good movie, you watch it once or twice when it comes out, then you put it on a shelf and dust it off every year or two for old times sake. Face it, on-rails and linear storyline AAA games are quickly becoming a thing of the past. The only successful ones are those that appeal to the online/multiplayer crowd like most FPS games do. When it comes to action/adventure games, players expect more than just a linear story these days.

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    159
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave3d View Post
    Mafia games have been about 1 person moving up in rank through the mob.
    While that's true of past games, it's no longer true of the modern day Mafia or any of the more popular Mafia related movies set in a modern time frame. Whether you look at the real life organized crime or popular movies, the only way people move up is to kill those above them and take their place.

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave3d View Post
    I disagree. I think h13 and 2k are messing up the series. If they want a political game, make a political game, not mafia. Also, gta is better than mafia 3, and I really dislike gta (although 5 started of good, it got boring fast, just like mafia 3, correlation? ).
    If all you want is a neverending game, go play wow or teso or something.
    Mafia games have been about 1 person moving up in rank through the mob. Mafia 3 was a terrible mafia game, and more of a gta style do whatever you want because he is a peed off person, and he does stuff just to do stuff. And then they tacked on a mafia-esque cut scene story.
    Go back to their roots and make a good mafia game, and forget these open world games because they all end up the same, with the same fetch quests, kill someone quest, and it just all runs together.
    The old mafia's told a story about all the character, even the locksmith guy. But it was so good because it was in a tight, singular storyline, not an open world fetch quest setting.
    no your idea would kill the franchise dead. i bought mafia 3 because of its story and more modern cars. and am only considering buying 2 to play through joes and vitos backstory. h13 and 2k are on the right track gta series is successful because of the open world stuff. although mafia 3 has the better story imho. another reason why i bought it. if mafia 4 goes back to 20/30's rubbish i'll pass. the cars aren't that intereting . its been done to death in video games tv and film. but 60's 70's and 80's setting gaes don't come up that often. Also if mafia 4 is linear like 2 and 1 it will kill the franchise dead i've lost cont of forum posts and youtube vids complaining about its linear story and the fact you can't free roam after you've finished the game. 70's setting is the next logical step.

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    350
    Oh, 'my idea' of the game. Dont you mean the Mafia 1 and 2 games? Where is my money from those if they were 'my' idea?
    Oh, and 'your' reasons why you bought 3 are more valid than mine? OK, sure.
    There are already so many better games that do open world, that Mafia 3 just got so wrong, it was a disaster.
    I have said before, either go full open world (where it will get lost in all of the really good open world games like gta, fallout, and so so many more), or go back to its roots as like both 1 and 2 were, which wouldnt compete with many games, like you yourself said, and would be a much better linear game than a cruddy open world game.

    As for you Chaos, I never complained it wasnt open world, and I also play it at LEAST once a year. How many other games do I play at least once a year after finishing them, that are linear? All of the good ones going back to 1995, when I started pc gaming.
    How many new games do I play more than once? Not many, because there arent that many good games nowadays. Tomb Raider 2013 I play at least once a year. Warhammer Vermintide. CoJ Gunslinger. Most games nowadays are just throwaway games, play once and you are done with them. Older games, I still play lots of them, they are still fun today, even though they are graphically bad now. I play more old games than I do new games nowadays, and I have almost 400 games on steam, about 150 on gog, and probably 100 on cd/dvd, plus humble bundle. I play early access, KS, and Alpha's and Beta's. And you know, most games are terrible, just like mafia 3 was, because publishers want to do 'safe' games to make their money back, and that is backfiring on them.

    Anyway, your opinion, my opinion.
    Wish in 1 hand, 2k in the other.

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    159
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave3d View Post
    As for you Chaos, I never complained it wasnt open world
    I wasn't trying to imply you had, but the gaming community in large did. You wont find a single gaming forum on the internet where Mafia II was discussed where that complaint didn't come up, even a good percentage of the reviews bring it up as one of the games faults.

  8. #48
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    2,236
    80s with a great soundtrack would be awesome. Like in GTA Vice City. I think that could sell a lot. That or go back to the 20s/30s/40s. I would be fine with any of those.

  9. #49
    Even 00s/10s if there was a good concept for an "origins-game" with completely new mafia universe. But yeah, 20s/30s surely excites me. I just don't think that HANGAR 13 can make a mafia game, Mafia III was a disappointment.
    The Teflon Don

  10. #50
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave3d View Post
    Oh, 'my idea' of the game. Dont you mean the Mafia 1 and 2 games? Where is my money from those if they were 'my' idea?
    Oh, and 'your' reasons why you bought 3 are more valid than mine? OK, sure.
    There are already so many better games that do open world, that Mafia 3 just got so wrong, it was a disaster.
    I have said before, either go full open world (where it will get lost in all of the really good open world games like gta, fallout, and so so many more), or go back to its roots as like both 1 and 2 were, which wouldnt compete with many games, like you yourself said, and would be a much better linear game than a cruddy open world game.

    As for you Chaos, I never complained it wasnt open world, and I also play it at LEAST once a year. How many other games do I play at least once a year after finishing them, that are linear? All of the good ones going back to 1995, when I started pc gaming.
    How many new games do I play more than once? Not many, because there arent that many good games nowadays. Tomb Raider 2013 I play at least once a year. Warhammer Vermintide. CoJ Gunslinger. Most games nowadays are just throwaway games, play once and you are done with them. Older games, I still play lots of them, they are still fun today, even though they are graphically bad now. I play more old games than I do new games nowadays, and I have almost 400 games on steam, about 150 on gog, and probably 100 on cd/dvd, plus humble bundle. I play early access, KS, and Alpha's and Beta's. And you know, most games are terrible, just like mafia 3 was, because publishers want to do 'safe' games to make their money back, and that is backfiring on them.

    Anyway, your opinion, my opinion.
    Yes its just my opinion. its the internet dave. people have complained about its alot in youtube vids and reviews. bear in mind it was competing with gta4 at the time but i would still buy it and i think once again 2k nailed the story and setting and atmosphere. but i feel it should be more open world to compete with gta. but not lose sight of their good storytelling and like it or not both the 60's and 70's where very politically controversial. and mafia 3 incorporated it well and i feel a 70's irish mob setting would be brilliant. even more in boston. there are very few games set it in boston. and 60's muscle cars have been my favorite part of the game so far that at the setting. since new Orleans is rarely a setting for a video game.

  11. #51
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    350
    Dang, double post. Mod delete please?
    Thank you.
    Wish in 1 hand, 2k in the other.

  12. #52
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    350
    I would love the game to go back to the new york era, where they fought with the irish and everbody else to chisel their piece of the pie.
    Its been done, yes, but has it been done well in a video game?
    See, this sort of setting and story would be great for the series, because "I" feel that it would fit in with 1 and 2, even it wasnt just 1 schmoe that the user played as. It would be about BUILDING something (even if its criminal), instead of go here shoot that guy get the money take the money back to a safe spot and bank it.
    Go back further than that. Someone on here was talking about when the irish first came to the 'US'. Talk about the main guy (he broke out of jail I guess, I dont know mob stories), and we were talking about them breaking out of jail, 'finding' a way to a boat (which could be like the Mafia II jail time part, where the guy learns to fight, teaches to fight, puts together the crew he wants, and when they land in the 'US', they have issues fitting in (like Vitto had when he came back from the war, he couldnt get a job worth anything), finding places to live, and finally starting their 'mob' careers. All of that with a backdrop of a liner story (because it plays closer to the heart of the theme of the game, where an open world plays to 'umm, what would the user like to do? The 3 same things ober and over and over. Open world is just a massive, do what you want, any way you want, type of game and gameplay. Very few have had a great story line for the whole game, and none of them have broken the " 'umm, what would the user like to do? The 3 same things ober and over and over. " barrier. None that I know of. Even though Mafia I and II were liner, in a semi open world game, they delivered a GREAT story each time, and you got in touch with the Mafia people, kind of 'felt' who they were, kind of liked them, and kind of disliked them, BUT you got to KNOW them. mafia3 you were badly introduced to a character who gets out of the army (may as well be jail), has a huge chip on his shoulder, and wants to be the boss of all mob areas. How 'in touch' with the characters were you really in mafia3? Who did you like? Who did you dislike (except the 1 person that was 'made' to be disliked). How did you get these characters background story, or even their current stoy, if they even had either? Seems to me, that had 1 reason, "lets get rich, biotch!" Thats not a story, thats greed.

    In every game, you need to get 'in touch' with your characters, or you will get a Rambo movie: classic vet home from the war no one wants him there, so he lashes out at everybody and kills everybody. Does that sound like any game you know?

    H13 TRIED to mix the 2 genre's. mafia 3 is what we got.
    Making the game even more open world will change the whole 'tune' of the Mafia franchise (which H13 didnt get either).
    Making Mafia more cozy, more personal, more 'yeah, I get that' not just by 1 scene, but by the whole story itself, and you dont even realise you are doing that in the game, but everything makes sense, everything is in tune with the world and the gameplay. There are no jarring moments like 'where the heck did that come from?' 'What was that about?' 'Why am I even bothering to do this in the first place?' 'That was a certainly stupid part that they obviously wedged in there', and countless other things that I asked myself in mafia 3, that I did not ask myself in Mafia II.

    Some genres mix well, and some do not.
    DOOM 2016 is a great game, because it fell into its genre of what it was about, what the previous games did (and did WELL), and what they wanted DOOM to be. If it was an open world game, do you think that the game would have been as good as it was? Or would you have been asking for a refund, going to the forums and saying how bad the game was? I bet the latter.

    But, you liked the game, and countless others did also. I wonder why? Maybe because the open world games are as dead zombie games, and putting in something that has never really been in an open world game makes it 'fresh' and 'new', even though it has the exact same, or worse, pitfalls that other open world games have?

    I doubt I will ever convince you of my idea that going back to its roots, and focusing on the characters (which you cant 'really' do in an OW game, but only a little bit, because there is so much to the game), and the story, and the magic of a game like this so well put together can bring to someone (or many), even though its a linear game (which everyone thinks is bad for some reason. most games that opened up gaming where almost all linear). Linear and a story that stops is a good thing, if told well. Also, there are some bad linear games also. But tacking on options just to have them there is never a good thing in a game. Budget the game for x amount of hours, based on the story, DO that, THEN tack on other things later if the game sells well and people like it and ask for it en mass. Never cut your game up for 'genre players a', 'genre players b', genre players c', genre players d', and make a piece of crud of a game because you appeased nobody in any genre.

    And, you will never get me around to your point of view that 'open world is the future of gaming, because everyone wants it'. Well, they do get it. They got mafia 3. How good would you say it is, vs GTA5? VS any other really good open world game? VS Fallout?

    I just cant believe that people cant see what happened here with mafia 3. And if this is the future of gaming, well, I may just start replaying games that were fun. Older games. Some newer games. Definitely Mafia II.

    /End_Ramble

    And, sorry, I am not trying to rag on you, or your likes and dislikes, or your view of gaming.
    I am just trying to show you another world of gaming. It may be dying, but its still here.
    I value your opinion on gaming also, and enjoy the back and forth discussion.

    By the way:
    Have you played Mafia II?
    I was so blown away by it, that I instantly played the game again, to get what I missed in the first playthrough. Kind of like, Silence of the Lambs, or Fight Club, you never really get everything from or in the movie until you watch it 2 or 3 times, and you thing to yourseld 'wow, I totally missed that in the 1st watching, or the 2md'. Thats how good Mafia 1 and 2 were.
    Wish in 1 hand, 2k in the other.

  13. #53
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    7
    I want Mafia IV to be set in 1920s-1960s.Most likely i would love to see 1930s-1950s

    One reason is that they can use models of vehicles they already got from previous Mafia games so it will save them a lot of work.ANother reason is that these years got it's magic.

    Would be interesting to have set the game in 20-30s in Chicago at times when Al Cappone has been there or survive another madness in 50s like Mafia II was.Actually only thing i would miss in pre-50s would be music.

    I love 60s or 70s cars.But then there comes weapons.AK-47 absolutelly destroys that atmosphere for me.

  14. #54
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by killer553 View Post
    I want Mafia IV to be set in 1920s-1960s.Most likely i would love to see 1930s-1950s

    One reason is that they can use models of vehicles they already got from previous Mafia games so it will save them a lot of work.ANother reason is that these years got it's magic.

    Would be interesting to have set the game in 20-30s in Chicago at times when Al Cappone has been there or survive another madness in 50s like Mafia II was.Actually only thing i would miss in pre-50s would be music.

    I love 60s or 70s cars.But then there comes weapons.AK-47 absolutelly destroys that atmosphere for me.
    that is one of the things is why i don't want mafia to go back for 4. i like the music in 3. the music in la noire didn't do much for me and what i played of 2. the music wasn't my favorite bit. and i can see 20's/30's music driving me nuts. but the chicago setting in a 60's/70's setting i could go with. since the cars and music and atmosphre would suit me down to the ground. but i agree mafia series shouldn't imitate gta and go all modern. part of mafias charm is its different era setting although fictionilised cars and places still capture the era just right. and as already mentioned gta 5 story isn't it's strong suit. plus people dialling the police on you just for talking/interacting gets on your nerves .

    plus as people hae said chapter based games are annoying. even if open world. although they can be replayed like la noire. still lack gta's strong points: do what you want regardless if you're at 1% or 100%.As for the modernish weaponry in 3 i like it. it is the 60's after all so you had some ww2 leftovers and some more modern stuff about since vietnam and korea had happened since m2.

    so in summary if they do go back to 20's/30's/40's can we have some modern soundtrack added so you don't go insane listening to la noire soundtrack leftovers.

  15. #55
    Don't care 70's-80's / oldschool, only thing I need is to be able to play as a italian-american mobster who's in the mafia. How about giving Lost Heaven a visit?

  16. #56
    Some seem to forget that open world is the thing nowadays.
    Not many would prefer s straight line game anymore, this is not 1980, where games like Zelda 1986 are still a thing.
    People, due to games like Morrowind, GTA, ... expect a more free roaming, going back to this linear gaming type will drive many away.
    Of course, this comes at a cost: more CPU power, heavier game cards, ... to get the open world correspond with some reality: high AI, NPC/item interactivity, ...
    This is lacking in the current version, I know more than most I think (though this is also extremely present in GTA5, for instance).
    So, one needs a bigger, stronger AI that enables interactivity.
    Also the total lack of IQ with the enemy NPC's is unbelievable: Dead folks litter the ground, but they don't care.
    Why should they...
    BECAUSE I AM HUNTING YOU, YOU NUMBWIT.
    But they dun care.
    If killed, they respawn later again, to run their so tiny programmed thing that they do.
    So why bother?

    If H13 mans up, and adds a wee intelligence and interactivity, things can become that more interesting.
    I truly hope, they will.
    If the engine allows this, that is, not a clue which engine this runs on.

    Hmmm, MAYBE Mafia three should leave this Mafia thing, and move on to modern Mafia: Yakuza, Triade, ...?
    And have James Bond as the new... no wait, wrong movie.
    My bad.
    But where one could be some China man, highly trained in Kung Fu, or a late Samurai, that goes banana towards their race corresponded enemy.

    Oh, why not both?
    Where you can be either the China man or the Samurai, and go to war to both factions?
    Maybe even give us character generation?
    And while we're at it, multi player.
    Where you can war the opposite country?
    Merely thinking.

    But, here's an idea: who knows the game Way of the Samurai 4?
    In this game, you can learn like 50 different martial arts styles, different weapons, unarmed combat, ...
    Not saying that the game should have 50 martial arts styles, but 5 or 6 would be nice.
    Should they opt for the Chinese version, the same there.
    Of course, it should start in end era Feudal Japan, or China.

    What I am trying to say is: it does not necessarily have to be in the US, now does it?
    Hell, could be Russia even: братва (Bratva, or Brotherhood).
    It can even be in modern settings.

    Thoughts?

  17. #57
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    420
    ^ EXACTLY.

    Honestly, they could have whatever era they want, but at the end of the day - If the AI are zombies, and if there's absolutely nothing to interact with then the game is again going to have zero immersion and the world will feel dead just like Mafia III. It's an open world game, it needs places you can visit, actual STORES with purchasable items, a bar where you can get the protagonist drunk, various things you can do to have a break from killing people. Every other open world game has things such as these.

    Heck, even closed world games these days have pointless unrelated stuff to interact with. Even Uncharted 4 when you were going through the market in Madagascar. But things like that are what make a game feel that more special and immersive. It helps create a unique experience.

    Hangar 13 stripped away everything you'd expect in an open world game, like they thought you'd just kill people finish the story and throw the game away. You need a reason to keep people playing your game, and to me Mafia III doesn't have any reason for me to go back. Even the DLC's are a disappointment. I just didn't feel it with this game, unlike the first two games, and GTA games, RDR, LA Noire... They are masterpieces, Mafia III is far from it. I doesn't feel anywhere close to a masterpiece to me, or a completed game at least.

    I really truly hope they've read all our feedback so they actually know what the fans want, and try to redeem themselves. And I hope they do redeem themselves, or at least get a chance to. I'd hate for Mafia III to be the last Mafia game. They did improve some things, like the gunplay. But at the cost of that, they impaired the rest of the game.

    Bratva sounds good, I liked that part of Arrow.

    How about Hong Kong in the 80s? Like the movie - A Better Tomorrow. But I guess it'll be too much like Sleeping Dogs, they'd want an original idea.

    An actual Mafia game based in Sicily? Things are done differently there, the Sicilian mob is more brutal than the American Mafia.
    Hangar 13? Mr. Salieri sends his regards.

  18. #58
    I think that if Mafia 4 was to go back in time have it before Mafia: City of Lost Heaven. How about we have a character who is not italian, but jewish. It's stupid but here me out. We go back to when Salieri and Morello were working for Don Peppone, and have this jewish mobster become involved with the Peppone crime syndicate. And we could even bring back FranK Vinci and Leo Galante. If you remember in Mafia 2 when before the killed Tommy Angelo that the hit was carried out by Vinci who is revealed to have known possibly have been really close to Don Salieri. So I could honestly see this working out in this way. Plus we would know a lot about Salieri, Morello, Vinci, and even Galante. Another thing that could tie into this game was the formation of the Commision. I would like this to be set in Lost Heaven, but also in Empire Bay before we even experience it in Mafia 2. I know most everybody wants an italian mobster, but some of the most important mobsters have been jewish such as: Bugsy Siegel, Mickey Cohen, and Meyer Lansky. Without these guys we wouldn't have Las Vegas. I honestly think it would be intersting to play as a jewish mobster because you could also implement how other mobsters feel about this character, whether it would be negative or positive. The story would start with his family being poor and living on the street. His father working for the labor union and trying to make a little bit of money. Suddenly the mother is stricken with sickness and soon dies, leaving the father to look after his son and daughter. One day the union boss says that he owes him money, and if he doesn't he'll "taken care of" per say. The father leaves one day leaving his 14 to 15 year old son to watch after his 5 or 6 year old sister. The character gets a job at the union paying his father's debts. While he was at the place where he and his sister were at there place to stay, a man and his wife stopped by and saw the little girl. He begs for the wealthy family to take in his sister and asked to give her a better life than this. He convinces them and they take his sister with them. After a year of working off his father's debts still, the union boss who happens to be a capo in the Sosini crime family feels a bit of remorse for the boy and takes him in and adopts him. From there he eventually becomes involved with the Sosini crime family. I would wan this game to be open world, and like with mafia 3 having districts you can take from the opposing crime families. You could have the opportunity to buy business and fix them up to bring in more revenue for your crime syndicate. You can even raise or lower the prices of your businesses, but it would effect your customers that buy from you. You could also have mob wars and in order for you to win you have to bomb or takeover a few businesses to put your point through. I would also like to recruit members of your crime organization, similar to what they did in the Godfather 2 game. Rob banks to get more money. The world is yours for the taking! I would also like to add that you could buy property like safe houses. I suppose you could have car customization but it would be hard considering this is 1920s. You could also have shops to buy different suits and clothing. If anybody has any questions feel free to ask me or message me.
    Last edited by WestwardLoki4; 2 Weeks Ago at 06:58 PM.

  19. #59
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    420
    Jewish mobsters, just like in Once Upon a Time in America. I'd be down for that! Around the times Lucky Luciano formed the commission, and when Bugsy Siegel, Mickey Cohen, and Meyer Lansky were kicking it in New York.
    Hangar 13? Mr. Salieri sends his regards.

  20. #60
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    The South
    Posts
    630
    Quote Originally Posted by WestwardLoki4 View Post
    I think that if Mafia 4 was to go back in time have it before Mafia: City of Lost Heaven. How about we have a character who is not italian, but jewish. It's stupid but here me out. We go back to when Salieri and Morello were working for Don Peppone, and have this jewish mobster become involved with the Peppone crime syndicate. And we could even bring back FranK Vinci and Leo Galante. If you remember in Mafia 2 when before the killed Tommy Angelo that the hit was carried out by Vinci who is revealed to have known possibly have been really close to Don Salieri. So I could honestly see this working out in this way. Plus we would know a lot about Salieri, Morello, Vinci, and even Galante. Another thing that could tie into this game was the formation of the Commision. I would like this to be set in Lost Heaven, but also in Empire Bay before we even experience it in Mafia 2. I know most everybody wants an italian mobster, but some of the most important mobsters have been jewish such as: Bugsy Siegel, Mickey Cohen, and Meyer Lansky. Without these guys we wouldn't have Las Vegas. I honestly think it would be intersting to play as a jewish mobster because you could also implement how other mobsters feel about this character, whether it would be negative or positive. The story would start with his family being poor and living on the street. His father working for the labor union and trying to make a little bit of money. Suddenly the mother is stricken with sickness and soon dies, leaving the father to look after his son and daughter. One day the union boss says that he owes him money, and if he doesn't he'll "taken care of" per say. The father leaves one day leaving his 14 to 15 year old son to watch after his 5 or 6 year old sister. The character gets a job at the union paying his father's debts. While he was at the place where he and his sister were at there place to stay, a man and his wife stopped by and saw the little girl. He begs for the wealthy family to take in his sister and asked to give her a better life than this. He convinces them and they take his sister with them. After a year of working off his father's debts still, the union boss who happens to be a capo in the Sosini crime family feels a bit of remorse for the boy and takes him in and adopts him. From there he eventually becomes involved with the Sosini crime family. I would wan this game to be open world, and like with mafia 3 having districts you can take from the opposing crime families. You could have the opportunity to buy business and fix them up to bring in more revenue for your crime syndicate. You can even raise or lower the prices of your businesses, but it would effect your customers that buy from you. You could also have mob wars and in order for you to win you have to bomb or takeover a few businesses to put your point through. I would also like to recruit members of your crime organization, similar to what they did in the Godfather 2 game. Rob banks to get more money. The world is yours for the taking! I would also like to add that you could buy property like safe houses. I suppose you could have car customization but it would be hard considering this is 1920s. You could also have shops to buy different suits and clothing.
    I'm Captain Italian Mafia and even I enjoy this idea. I love the idea of going back to the era and seeing it all from a slightly different perspective.

    In terms of car customization, there's actually a lot you could do. In terms of paint, most cars of the era were available for two-or-even-three-tone paint jobs, so you'd have several paint options for your car (as well as glossy or matte finishes) in terms of base colors. Pinstriping (albeit just simple lines) was quite popular in the era as well, and is something they could add in. You also have the fact that most cars had fabric roofs in those days (or at least fabric/canvas sections in the center of the roof) so you'd be able to change the color of that as well. You'd also be able to switch between blackwall and white wall tires, and a variety of different rims, depending on the car (you'd have hubcaps for your super fancy cars, metal wire wheels, and a variety of wooden rims that existed at the time). Since you'd be using fictional cars, you could place fictional hood ornaments on there to make your car look even gaudier than it already did. Also available would be Landau bars (often seen on hearses today, but popular on almost anything back then) to place on your C-Pillar. Tires, as in the side-or-rear mounted variety would also be an option for the discerning 20s car customizer- do you want them on both fenders or just the left? Do you want one on the back of the car? Do you want them to be open to the elements or protected with canvas covers?

    In terms of practical upgrades, you'd have everything from installing the trunk on the back of your car (Larger trunk means you can carry additional weapons and ammo in your car, or molotov cocktails); superchargers to increase your engine power, dual-ratio transmissions (which allows you to essentially double the number of gears your car has, from three to six, to allow higher top speeds and better acceleration); electric starters for the 'cheaper' in game cars so you don't have to get out and crank start your car; better headlights on cars that come standard with poor ones, so you can see better at night; and perhaps even complete engine swaps (Have optional side missions where you can steal fancy cars, and you can choose to keep the car for yourself, sell it all off for some cash, or sell the bodywork and keep the engine so you can put it in any car you own that it would fit into). And of course, who can forget doing a full customization to make your car bulletproof. sure, it's going to weigh a ton so performance is going to suffer, but it's going to take one hell of a beating.

    Needless to say, there's a lot of customization options even if you can't stick silly wings on everything.

    But, honestly customization goes deeper than just cars. Weapons would be a great place to add in customization- most weapons you pick up start off with worn finishes, or in the case of your father's old pistol, it's even rusty. As you get money, you can take it to your friendly neighborhood gunsmith and get it refinished- a nice, deep blued finish, a high-polish nickle finish, get it engraved, change out the grips, etc. Things like the in-game Thompson could benefit from going from a standard 20-round stick magazine to a 50 or 100 round drum. Any shotgun can be sawn down, or you can leave it full sized. Things like rifles could get optical scopes, extended magazines, or even tang-mounted peep sights. And, you would absolutely have access to the Browning Automatic Rifle, the weapon of Choice for Bonnie and Clyde, which has been criminally absent from Mafia I-III.

    Clothing customization would also be huge- I'd love to see something like the Godfather or GTA Online where you can individually choose each element of your ensemlbe, including the jacket pattern, the tie pattern, and shirt pattern/color. I know a lot of people think that clothing customization is just "Mob Fashion Designer 2018" or whatever, but its a great way to get involved into a character and to make him a bit closer to you. Perhaps you want to play more on the down low, so you drive a souped up 'sleeper' Model A Ford and wear a newsboy hat and a tweed jacket. Or you can be me, and wear a brown pinstripe suit with blue shirt and red paisley tie, driving around in a giant black luxury car that has a hood ornament the size of my fist. And I would totally add hair customization, so you could choose from a variety of hair styles that were popular at the time; as well as maybe facial hair, assuming it would impede on the facial animations done in cutscenes (Because all of our cutscenes would be in engine- Mafia II proved that this was largely possible, so we'd be making good on it in Mafia IV: the Prequel).
    For as far back as I can remember, I always wanted to be a gangster.

  21. #61
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave3d View Post
    I disagree. I think h13 and 2k are messing up the series. If they want a political game, make a political game, not mafia. Also, gta is better than mafia 3, and I really dislike gta (although 5 started of good, it got boring fast, just like mafia 3, correlation? ).
    If all you want is a neverending game, go play wow or teso or something.
    Mafia games have been about 1 person moving up in rank through the mob. Mafia 3 was a terrible mafia game, and more of a gta style do whatever you want because he is a peed off person, and he does stuff just to do stuff. And then they tacked on a mafia-esque cut scene story.
    Go back to their roots and make a good mafia game, and forget these open world games because they all end up the same, with the same fetch quests, kill someone quest, and it just all runs together.
    The old mafia's told a story about all the character, even the locksmith guy. But it was so good because it was in a tight, singular storyline, not an open world fetch quest setting.

    They are trying to get away from the mobsters vibe as much as much as they can even though that's what made it great. have you noticed the direction the DLC are taking all these characters like Roxy MJ etc fee like hippies to me. The creative director Haden Blackman is more into politics then mobsters if you look at his twitter & see some of his interviews. Daniel vavra was the man but anyway. A lot of people did good work on Mafia 3 to be ruined by some people at the top and the gameplay designers I feel like they just added Italian mafia for the sake of it so they can sell the game & slowy transition into a different game using the franchise name to sell it
    Last edited by Hasan--97; 1 Week Ago at 08:42 AM.

  22. #62
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    159
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasan--97 View Post
    They are trying to get away from the mobsters vibe as much as much as they can even though that's what made it great. have you noticed the direction the DLC are taking all these characters like Roxy MJ etc fee like hippies to me.
    That's because it's the 60s, that's what things were like then. The whole hippie - free love - war protester - anti establishment lifestyle was the defining point of the entire era. Trying to have a game set in that time period without including that would have been horrifically inauthentic.

  23. #63
    Quote Originally Posted by ReapTheChaos View Post
    That's because it's the 60s, that's what things were like then. The whole hippie - free love - war protester - anti establishment lifestyle was the defining point of the entire era. Trying to have a game set in that time period without including that would have been horrifically inauthentic.

    Yh I'm talking about the DLC only the main game was pretty good would have been even better if they cut some of the district filler missions. personally I would have liked to see a DLC on Vito after his exile from empire bay or something involving Joe as he's still alive One thing I do miss as a fan of the franchise is the whole mob aspect of them just having fun.
    Last edited by Hasan--97; 1 Week Ago at 07:32 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •