Thread: Can't build aqueduct?

Can't build aqueduct?

I'm a bit puzzled why I can't build an aqueduct on the tiles adjacent to my city that are either W or SW of it, both of which are adjacent to a river:
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=839132236

The only thing I can think of is that if I built an aqueduct there, it'd be carrying water from the city's river to the city, but since the city already gets water from that same spot, it wouldn't be adding any new fresh water and therefore wouldn't improve housing. The tile NE of the city, on the other hand, would also be drawing from the same river, but can draw it from a different SPOT that the city currently can't access. FYI, I can't build on the tile to the SE because it already has a district.

It has to do with that one side of the Aquaduct needs to touch water/mountain, the other city. In the tiles W and SW the river would be in between the Aquaduct and City Center.
    “If you are involved in a game, everything ends up being a set of trade-offs. Anything in a game is a sacrifice of things not in the game.” --Gabe Newell

Playing Firaxis games and helping out in the Official 2K Forums!
    My Blog: donald23.nl
    Steam profile: donald23

The aquaduct should just bend around, making the connection to water. I've built them like this many times.

I've built aqueducts like that before too. I've also been stonewalled in strange places too. Haven't figured out what does it.

My guess is for some reason the mountains are overriding the river in some way. Seems like a bug that'll get fixed down the road.

*edit* no that doesn't even make sense. If it were to do with the mountains then the quarry and lumbermill would be ineligible too.

Okay... I agree there is game breaking activity going on here... You guys are building Aqueducts to cities that are already on a river?! :P

Quote Originally Posted by ShuShu62 View Post
    Okay... I agree there is game breaking activity going on here... You guys are building Aqueducts to cities that are already on a river?! :P
    Well, yes, because that actually increases housing

Quote Originally Posted by Goliht View Post
    The aquaduct should just bend around, making the connection to water. I've built them like this many times.
    Quote Originally Posted by VicRatlhead51 View Post
    I've built aqueducts like that before too. I've also been stonewalled in strange places too. Haven't figured out what does it.

My guess is for some reason the mountains are overriding the river in some way. Seems like a bug that'll get fixed down the road.

*edit* no that doesn't even make sense. If it were to do with the mountains then the quarry and lumbermill would be ineligible too.
    I'm really curious for save games or screenshots that actually show aquaduct districts in a similar tile. So just a river between the aquaduct and city and no other mountain or river on any other side of the tile of the aquaduct.
    Because I think it's not possible.
    “If you are involved in a game, everything ends up being a set of trade-offs. Anything in a game is a sacrifice of things not in the game.” --Gabe Newell

Fairly certain I did it in the Poland scenario. I'll test it wherever I get a chance. You may be right Donald. I'm just going off memory here.

This is one of the legit complaints people have though, that's not stated anywhere. They left a lot of mechanics pretty opaque which is frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by donald23 View Post
    Well, yes, because that actually increases housing
    Lol - I can't speak for ShuShu, but I suspect they were questioning the ABILITY to do this, not the value. Cities that already have access to fresh water only get +2 housing from an Aqueduct, which may or may not be worth taking up a hex. But housing can be so hard to come by until neighborhoods become available that I always at least consider doing it.

I'm really curious for save games or screenshots that actually show aquaduct districts in a similar tile. So just a river between the aquaduct and city and no other mountain or river on any other side of the tile of the aquaduct.
    Because I think it's not possible.
    Yes, I agree. It's kind of a subtle point, but going back to my screenshot, look at the difference between the W hex and the NE hex:
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=839132236

The W hex only has one length of river, and it's already bordering the city, so it's not eligible for an aqueduct, because it wouldn't be bringing any NEW fresh water to the city. What would you build - an aqueduct that loops back on itself? The same is true of the NE hex, except the NE hex ALSO has access to a second stretch of river that is NOT adjacent to the city. So even though an aqueduct there would be supplying water from the same river the city already has access to, it would be bringing it from further upriver or downriver - maybe the water is fresher there.

So while it's a valid distinction, it's also a confusing one, and hard as hell to explain simply.
    Last edited by donald23; 01-11-2017 at 02:28 PM. Reason: Fixed the link

The NE hex also has the mountain that makes it qualify.

What I think is the reason others do not, is that the only river to those tiles is, between the aquaduct and city center. And I think that makes that the tile doesn't qualify.
    I agree that is nowhere correctly explained though...

Found a bit extra about this on Civfanatics.com : https://forums.civfanatics.com/threa...#post-14541004

The NE hex also has the mountain that makes it qualify.
    You mean the NW hex? The NE hex is not adjacent to a mountain.

Found a bit extra about this on Civfanatics.com : https://forums.civfanatics.com/threa...#post-14541004
    Thanks, this is a really good guide to housing. Somebody in the comments was able to explain this pretty succinctly. Essentially:
    "The border between a city and an aqueduct can't be an aqueduct's water source."