Thread: Need a little help. Just lost in June on Commander Ironman

Need a little help. Just lost in June on Commander Ironman

So I had a full squad wipe of my best soldiers and had to take down the Avatar timer so I didn't bother with one lieutenant and 3 rookies (couldn't afford a recruit). By June I had predator armor, magnetic shards and rifles but couldn't afford the rest because I lacked alien alloys (the only two failed missions were both supply runs). My main problems on the tactical map were when I ended up for some reason in an extended firefight. Mutons behind full unbreakable cover and shieldbearers helping everyone. Since I couldn't take out all three enemies in one turn, by bringing up troops to take out one, I risked being flanked on the enemy turn. The other problem was pulling two pods. I thought I was pretty careful but I'd have pods run into a current fight or sometimes reinforcements drop on me. Sure I got out of a bunch of scrapes including aborting the two supply raids but in june I just got overwhelmed with the quality of the enemy troops. Any recommendations? Thanks.

I am also playing at commander level and at a similar point to you on my first play through. my campaign is going okay, but is still challenging. In my case i succeeded on 3 supply missions which of course makes resources easier. Tips i would give you
    -build exo suits if you have the resources, their rockets can fire any distance with line of sight, these solve a lot of problems. In a 5 or 6 squad i have 3 exo suits.
    -suppress the enemy if you cannot kill, using either gas grenades, or flash grenades. My squad has 3 flash and 1 gas grenade.
    -make sure you have engineers clearing sections on the avenger, to get the alien materials, and supplies.

The convoy attacks are the rare situation where you can take your time.

I've been experimenting with a ranger with the phantom training, having the ranger remain hidden to spot for a sharpshooter. The aliens do react to the shot and rush towards the sharpshooter so the full tactic needs more planning.