Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: [War of the Chosen] New expansion!

On the subject of Psi-Ops, I wonder if they can use the new Training Center? Y'know, to get normal class abilities on top of their psionics? Actually, I'm wondering if SPARKs can use it, too.

Not that we were able to get any answers during the live stream. Actually, things have gotten bizarrely radio-silent since the stream yesterday. I mean, sure, they might be a bit embarrassed that the game crashed when they tried to show off the Warlock. Twice. Which caused the chat room to go crazy, and for them to pre-maturely end the stream. Can't bring it back up on Twitch, it's not up on YouTube, and all Twitter accounts haven't updated (other than a pre-planned shirt ad). Wondering what's going on over there at Firaxis right now...

chat reactions after crashes were hilarious, I literaly laughed to tears

"FIX HARDER JAKE"

"NERF WARLOCK" etc

I feel kinda sorry for Jake something like that happened live- but oh well, there is still like over month to release, and such things happen

New mission times looked cool, the one in sewers remind me about bomb mission in XCOM EU. Faction soldiers seem very strong- I really hope they did good job in balance department

Quote Originally Posted by RusVal View Post
    On the subject of Psi-Ops, I wonder if they can use the new Training Center? Y'know, to get normal class abilities on top of their psionics? Actually, I'm wondering if SPARKs can use it, too.

Not that we were able to get any answers during the live stream. Actually, things have gotten bizarrely radio-silent since the stream yesterday. I mean, sure, they might be a bit embarrassed that the game crashed when they tried to show off the Warlock. Twice. Which caused the chat room to go crazy, and for them to pre-maturely end the stream. Can't bring it back up on Twitch, it's not up on YouTube, and all Twitter accounts haven't updated (other than a pre-planned shirt ad). Wondering what's going on over there at Firaxis right now...
    Hard to say, psiops was billed from the get go as an "optional" class, so they're probably going to be stuck with their psionics lab.

And they probably haven't had much to say since yesterday because they're probably running out of things to tell us without giving everything away. Let's face it, they've given us a crap ton of information in a short span of time, but I'd still like some surprises to look forward to. They've already sold me on getting it, as far as that goes.

Quote Originally Posted by smoku View Post
    chat reactions after crashes were hilarious, I literaly laughed to tears

"FIX HARDER JAKE"

"NERF WARLOCK" etc

I feel kinda sorry for Jake something like that happened live- but oh well, there is still like over month to release, and such things happen
    It makes it doubly funny that when they were polling chat for what to put on the propaganda poster in-game, the leading post was "Fix your game, Jake!"

Quote Originally Posted by Warspectre View Post
    And they probably haven't had much to say since yesterday because they're probably running out of things to tell us without giving everything away. Let's face it, they've given us a crap ton of information in a short span of time, but I'd still like some surprises to look forward to. They've already sold me on getting it, as far as that goes.
    Running out of stuff is one thing, never mind that they still had to get around to talking about the Training Center, Resistance Orders, and other new strategic layer things, but this is something else.
    Like I said, they usually post on YouTube shortly after the stream, and usually you can pull up a previous video on Twitch. Nope. Twitter accounts? XCOM's only posted a random screenshot after the shirt ad, Firaxis's too, but Jake and others haven't updated at all for some reason. Not even random little things.
    Now I realize that it could just be coincidence, and everyone's just busy at the moment. Most likely double-timing bug squashing. Just struck me as weird, is all.

Finally got to watch Jake and Garth's livestream (not so 'live' by the time I saw it ). Last time I was saying how I am not so sure the pros would out weigh the cons...

The atmosphere looks fantastic. This is something that has been done 'ok' up until this point but now it looks like they have really nailed it. That very first prototype before EU was made and they showed the XCOM squad kicking in the doors of a dark farm house and the gun lights searching the rooms. I think this video shows they really tried to go back to that 'feel', and it looks like they have nailed it!

I know this is only one mission but the night effects with the gun lights really look great. The close quarters city map allowing us to turn any corner and run into an enemy pack. The idea of going back to the original maps and the fog pods is fantastic. Only one mission shown but it has ticked so many boxes.

Quote Originally Posted by RusVal View Post
    It makes it doubly funny that when they were polling chat for what to put on the propaganda poster in-game, the leading post was "Fix your game, Jake!"

Running out of stuff is one thing, never mind that they still had to get around to talking about the Training Center, Resistance Orders, and other new strategic layer things, but this is something else.
    Like I said, they usually post on YouTube shortly after the stream, and usually you can pull up a previous video on Twitch. Nope. Twitter accounts? XCOM's only posted a random screenshot after the shirt ad, Firaxis's too, but Jake and others haven't updated at all for some reason. Not even random little things.
    Now I realize that it could just be coincidence, and everyone's just busy at the moment. Most likely double-timing bug squashing. Just struck me as weird, is all.
    True, maybe you're right. Could be they decided to double down on bug fixing before they decide to show anymore, because it would be rather embarrassing to have your product nose dive on a live stream. Not exactly good advertising.

On the other hand, I think even the hecklers realize the game isn't quite ready for release, which is why it's coming out in a month instead of this month. Personally I'd rather they run into these issues and address them prior to release rather than the other way around.

I never got to see the live stream, although considering what happened I can understand why they aren't exactly rushing to make it available on youtube. Personally, seeing it crash or even hearing about it hasn't changed a thing for me, I'll still get it because I know they're still working on it.

For me, the biggest takeaway (aside from how awesome it looks) from the game play vids is that apparently the order you meet the villains and factions is prescripted. I guess this is okay, but I was sorta hoping these would be more randomized for greater replayability. I suppose it might be possible that they actually have different intro-to-the-factions missions scripted up (like meeting the Templars, or the hunter being the first Chosen you meet) but that seems highly unlikely with all of the story line aspects.

But even so, it still looks veeerrrryyy cool. The strengths and weaknesses of the Chosen being procedurally generated will boost some difference for different playthroughs, so that will be fun.

...plus, I kept wondering if maybe using overwatch isn't a mistake with the lost. They don't use cover so your chance to hit is greater with a normal shot so you don't use up as much ammo. Ammo conservation is gonna be huge when fighting a swarm.

Another thing, I'm kind of looking forward to the fatigue system. I don't use ironman as a bug-insurance, but I don't have a problem using the honor system not to reload games. But dangit, I have the hardest time not just using my strongest guys so I end up with a small roster of mighty toons with a buncha rookies I never use. I think I NEED the forced discipline to play with a bigger roster. I LIKE a bigger roster.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill365 View Post
    ...plus, I kept wondering if maybe using overwatch isn't a mistake with the lost. They don't use cover so your chance to hit is greater with a normal shot so you don't use up as much ammo. Ammo conservation is gonna be huge when fighting a swarm.
    Personally I'd only use overwatch in situations where my soldier didn't have LOS on the lost, because the Headshot mechanic is going to be too useful not to take advantage of. Each successful headshot is a free action so if you haven't moved, even with a 3 round magazine like the sniper rifle has, you can reasonably hope to kill up to 9 lost. Even more if you switch to pistols.

New video on the Hunter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTOrnMdFTQE

Apparently they're supposed to be a joker? Speaking as a semi-professional comedian, there is nothing funny about their Sharpshooter-on-steroids abilities.

Hey, I managed to see some clips of the recent firaxis livestream where Garth and Jake (tried to) show the warlock. I was bummed that it crashed, and I dearly hope that doesn't mean bad things for release date. But anyway, all I could see was little clips. Does anyone know where I can see the whole stream? The bits I saw were intriguing.

Stream utterly crashed when Warlock appeared, got cut there; before there was a short 90% stealth mission to rescue Mox and more posters, honestly you did not lose much.

Oh, and Mox missing an 80% shot with its grapple ability against a viper.

Some very good points Bill365, The fatigue system is a great idea. So many times I have caught myself out with a mid game squad wipe. The fatigue system will force us to use more soldiers and train those rookies up faster rather than having one super squad. I will have to change my play style, which is a good thing!

Watching the video the biggest issue with fighting the lost looks like Ammo conservation. Auto loaders and bigger magazines on guns will now be premium pick ups! I used them as much as possible before but now... they will almost be critical!

The strengths and weaknesses of the Chosen being procedurally generated. I love this idea, it will make every play through slightly different to the last. We will have to equip our squad to match, just in case they show up at the wrong time. I am waiting to see if one of the chosen turns up in the middle of a fight against the lost. That is going to make a lost swarm so much harder!

I am also liking the new feature where there will be situational parameters in missions, such as some with smaller squad sizes and such. This should mix things up to keep it more interesting. Plus the bonding system looks like fun. I think the poster thing will keep me amused for about 15 minutes, so I don't mind it but not too excited. They also say that the chosen will taunt us with references to stuff that has happened. This could be fun, but only if they have tons and tons of content in it, otherwise it will get old pretty fast.

Over all, I do think the chosen will add a lot of interesting aspects to the game, giving the missions a lot of variety and making the overall campaign more focused and goal oriented. When the rulers showed up it did pump up the adrenalin, and I found myself almost sorry when I'd killed the last one. So with the repeated appearance of the chosen, it will double down on it. I expect that fighting the chosen will be the primary heart of the game, now, and I would wager that once we are used to it, the vanilla game will seem pretty meh if we try to go back.

It looks like the faction heroes won't have a lot of customization options. I guess I can understand that. But I sort of wish that if I want my uber-stealth hero to be a ninja, for example, I would like the opportunity to do that if I want. We'll just have to see how that all plays out, I guess.

HUh. oddly I stopped receiving notifications from this topic... Just saw the Hunter video today.

Lots of great stuff in the expansion. Love fatigue, sitrep, the new maps, the covert actions, the resistance factions and the bonding mechanic. But the poster thing is such a waste, especially when the expansion is so buggy that it crashes twice and load times in the base game are horrendous. I hope the devs focus on debugging and improving load times. That is more important than adding silly features like creating resistance posters which have zero impact on gameplay.

Quote Originally Posted by diplomat33 View Post
    Lots of great stuff in the expansion. Love fatigue, sitrep, the new maps, the covert actions, the resistance factions and the bonding mechanic. But the poster thing is such a waste, especially when the expansion is so buggy that it crashes twice and load times in the base game are horrendous. I hope the devs focus on debugging and improving load times. That is more important than adding silly features like creating resistance posters which have zero impact on gameplay.
    I have to admit I feel the same about the photo/posters junk. That feels very much like the 'sons of anarchy DLC'. It is cosmetic fluff that makes no sense to the game. We are hardcore alien killers fighting for the existence of the human race... Wanta go take some crazy happy snaps in the photo booth?!?! What the ☺☺☺☺?! No, actually. I want to kill some aliens.

New utility item researched... selfie stick. Kill me now.

I can see they are trying to get the player to connect more with their units... before sending them out to die in the red shirts but this couldn't interest me less. Maybe directed at the younger generation of XCOM players?! Anyway, the rest of the new features look great and look like enough to make me ignore this one exists.

Quote Originally Posted by DazzD View Post
    I have to admit I feel the same about the photo/posters junk. That feels very much like the 'sons of anarchy DLC'. It is cosmetic fluff that makes no sense to the game. We are hardcore alien killers fighting for the existence of the human race... Wanta go take some crazy happy snaps in the photo booth?!?! What the ☺☺☺☺?! No, actually. I want to kill some aliens.
    >.> <.< *Checks Steam account* *Has 3500+screenshots saved of XCOM 2 alone, not counting all the EU/EW saved elsewhere*

Yeeeeah, posing your customized soldiers in stylized propaganda posters. Don't know who would use something like that. Ah heh, ah heh, aaaaaah... *Slowly edges offstage*

Photo booth doesn't bother me at all- it's just a feature I may, or may not use. It doesn't affect gameplay so Im ok with this.

Im more concerned about power creep and balancing faction soldiers with all the new toys. Especialy when it seems that you get them quite early in the campaign (correct me if Im wrong). Xcom for me was always about struggling on the battlefield. PSI ops are the example how powerful one single unit can be- in all my campaigns at some point they were powerhorses and made combat much easier. But it took time to level up one, now seems like we get very powerful units very early and that concerns me.

But we need to wait and see how it plays out

Considering we have 230 mods for cosmetics just under the 290 for gameplay modifications (I'm not counting the voice mods) I'd say lots of players will love the new poster mode.

Quote Originally Posted by smoku View Post
    Im more concerned about power creep and balancing faction soldiers with all the new toys. Especialy when it seems that you get them quite early in the campaign (correct me if Im wrong). Xcom for me was always about struggling on the battlefield. PSI ops are the example how powerful one single unit can be- in all my campaigns at some point they were powerhorses and made combat much easier. But it took time to level up one, now seems like we get very powerful units very early and that concerns me.
    Jake said that you only get 1 hero unit at the beginning and it will be difficult to get 2. Also while the hero unit like the reaper is very cool it starts at its base level. Units like the templar will come later in the campaign. So I think that is how they plan to balance things.

Quote Originally Posted by tyrrelduckard View Post
    Considering we have 230 mods for cosmetics just under the 290 for gameplay modifications (I'm not counting the voice mods) I'd say lots of players will love the new poster mode.
    Maybe so but you have to admit that something is wrong when a game let's you create posters of your units but crashes when you meet one of the boss villains.

Maybe so but you have to admit that something is wrong when a game let's you create posters of your units but crashes when you meet one of the boss villains.
    A game crashing is just generally bad, regardless whether or not "silly" features are in it. Only time it's "wrong" is if the "silly" feature is actively causing the crashing, but since this is apparently a problem that's been around for a while, I doubt that is the case. It's a harmless addition.

Jake said that you only get 1 hero unit at the beginning and it will be difficult to get 2. Also while the hero unit like the reaper is very cool it starts at its base level. Units like the templar will come later in the campaign. So I think that is how they plan to balance things.
    It's supposedly a number of things to balance Faction Classes (as they are being called).

1.) You get one to start, then have to go through a whole chain of quests to even get a chance at getting a second. So you will only have the one of each.
    2.) The fatigue system means that you will not be able to take your limited pool of Faction Classes onto every mission. You will have to use Core Classes at some point.
    -2B.) We got confirmation that SPARKs don't get Fatigued, so as long as they don't get damaged, you can take them onto as many missions as you want.
    3.) Faction classes have to buy every ability they have with points, while Core Classes get their abilities via normal leveling. On top of that, all units gain Personal Ability Points (through what I assume is said leveling). So as an example, a Colonel Skirmisher will have the same amount of AP to spend as a Colonel Grenadier, assuming they both have the same Intelligence score. While the Grenadier will have all the abilities they normally get, they can also spend the AP on gaining additional abilities besides (any skill on the other tree, plus four cross-class). The Skirmisher, on the other hand, will need to spend those points for everything.
    -3B.) In addition, there is a shared pool of XCOM AP gained from doing cool tactical things, which you can use on any unit you please. So yes, you can have super beefy Faction Classes, or give your Core guys some level love.
    4.) Finally, those legendary Chosen weapons you can get? Only Core classes can use 'em. So while Faction Classes have some good potential, the Core Classes will just have straight up more raw damage.

All that said, I think they could have done something different with the whole Faction thing. It probably doesn't help that we are going to see a superior version with the upcoming Phoenix Point, where instead of just getting uber-units you have different perks that come with recruiting from the different factions.

In fact, that would have been how I would have approached that in WotC. Keep the Training Facility as it is right now, but have those four cross-class abilities be dependent on where you got your recruit from. Base XCOM recruits just get cross-class as normal, while the Factions get abilities themed to their side. For instance, Skirmishers get abilities that let them take more moves, while Reapers get better stealth capabilities, and the Templar essentially become psi-troops from the first game.
    And if you want to add more classes, go ahead, but don't make them super-powerful like they have here, just make them additions to the toolbox.
    Last edited by RusVal; 07-28-2017 at 02:26 PM.

I don't really like the hero units idea. I liked the XCOM squad, where any unit could become your best by leveling up missions and kills. Having heroes takes the squad aspect away a little. It makes the squad about the hero units rather than teamwork. I think they can see that too, so have added fatigue system. I prefer guns over magic but without the uber PSI soldiers, the late game is so much harder. I think it will be the same for the hero units.

I would much rather once we befriend a faction, the bonus is, to just recruit from their ranks. One faction is better at stealth, one better at PSI, one better at mechs etc. You pick a faction to befriend, depending on the way you want to play the game. This is of course with out playing the game. If they have leveled the heroes out so they are only slightly better than the other troops, I am good with it. If they get uber skills later, your squad (and game) will depend on them too much. Losing a fully skilled up hero, end game, could be a game breaker.

On the photo booth, that was just my opinion. As you have said, you will use it a lot and I am sure there are loads of others who will too. It just doesn't interest me much. I would rather something that adds to the game play, more weapons, tactics, skills etc. than something that seems to be a side distraction or aesthetics. I don't get much time to play anymore so when I do, I want to kill some aliens not take photos!

Hey guys, just an update: the Lost now have a YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfHWzevw7bI

Just saw it myself I love the baloon-airlifting animation of the crates.
    And seems like the Lost will look different visually too by type, nice.

Well, at least I don't feel so bad about creating Resident Evil characters in my pool.

Uh oh, another Twitch stream this Thursday. Fingers crossed that they get it working this time.

The live stream yesterday was great. I like the new mechanic of having to tag crates on the map for pick up. The balloon animation is very cool. The late game abilities for the hero classes are very strong. And, the missions are massively epic. They had the standard advent units from Lancers to Archons and a Gatekeeper, new units like the Specter, the Chosen, and a boat load of Lost kept swarming the map. I think they killed 40+ aliens in the last mission!!!

Is there a Youtube version of the stream yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Avatar13 View Post
    Is there a Youtube version of the stream yet?
    No but you can watch the replay on Twitch.

The live stream yesterday was great. I like the new mechanic of having to tag crates on the map for pick up. The balloon animation is very cool. The late game abilities for the hero classes are very strong. And, the missions are massively epic. They had the standard advent units from Lancers to Archons and a Gatekeeper, new units like the Specter, the Chosen, and a boat load of Lost kept swarming the map. I think they killed 40+ aliens in the last mission!!!
    Oh yeah I love the balloon-animation for the crate liftoff.
    They also made a new video today, detailing the new enemy types!
    -Purifiers: flamethrower-wielding Advent, they also throw incendiary grenades and can explode when killed.
    -Priests: They have the same Psionic aim-increasing boost as the previous game's sectoids, but can use it on anyone, and the same psionic backlash effect still works.
    -Spectre: remind me of the Codex, they can turn into an incorporeal form, and KO your soldiers while at the same time, creating a copy of them that fights on the enemy side.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4z7HT-UJiI

Quote Originally Posted by BB Shockwave View Post
    Oh yeah I love the balloon-animation for the crate liftoff.
    They also made a new video today, detailing the new enemy types!
    -Purifiers: flamethrower-wielding Advent, they also throw incendiary grenades and can explode when killed.
    -Priests: They have the same Psionic aim-increasing boost as the previous game's sectoids, but can use it on anyone, and the same psionic backlash effect still works.
    -Spectre: remind me of the Codex, they can turn into an incorporeal form, and KO your soldiers while at the same time, creating a copy of them that fights on the enemy side.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4z7HT-UJiI
    Here is the blog: https://xcom.com/news/entries/xcom-2...nd-the-spectre

The Spectre unit looks like it would be very dangerous. The Spectre should definitely go at the top of the "must kill first" aliens. Here is the full description from the blog:

Don’t allow this stealthy threat to get in close, though. The Spectre’s Shadowbind ability has been known to lock XCOM soldiers in place and create a shadow version that possesses the same skills. Be prepared to fight shadowy reflections of your own squadmates.

Be wary and keep your distance. Spectres have the Horror ability, which damages the enemy and heals themselves. The Spectres also possess lightning reflexes, making their nanobot form impossible to touch on the first Overwatch shot – so try to set up crossfire positions while stalking them.
    The shadowbind ability is very powerful but also the immunity to the first overwatch shot looks to be really good.

The shadowbind ability is very powerful but also the immunity to the first overwatch shot looks to be really good.
    Players already have access to this ability with Rangers' shadowstep. I hardly ever take it though because it is so situational. Shadowstrike combined with the Conceal ability means you can virtually guarantee yourself to get at least one use out of it per mission, so I tend to go with that instead.

Admittedly as a player I use overwatch way more than the AI, so Spectres are more likely to get more mileage out of their version of Shadowstep compared to my Rangers.

Thanks for the link, I missed that one. Three new enemy types... all Advent but any new enemies are a good thing. The Priest sounds like a PITA. Mind control, can come back to life, the stasis ability. Kind've sounds like a Sectoid. They are weak enough, but when they stand at the back of a pack and remove your soldiers from the fight, one at a time. They can actually be very powerful tactically.

The flamers appear to be strong in close by throwing out a wall of fire. As long as you keep them at a distance and stay in high cover I think they will be easy enough to deal with. I think it was mentioned that one of the hero units has a new version of 'fuse' that will set off cars etc. I think that was build for the purifiers tanks. Will at least make for some LOL moments.

The Spectre sounds to be the most dangerous by far. Their skills and abilities make them look very much like an avatar. The last thing you want to run into, when you are in the middle of a fight or have a swarm of lost starting to surround you.

I still want to see if we can use the lost to fight a battle for us. Can we set off a few nades behind the enemy and get the lost to pour in on them from the other flank? In the videos it looks like the lost will pour into a fight after a set timer or after explosions BUT it looks like they just pour in from a random side. Not necessarily from where the explosions went off. We might use explosions to attract the lost into a fight but have them surround us first and not the Advent troops we are fighting.

Quote Originally Posted by DazzD View Post
    I still want to see if we can use the lost to fight a battle for us. Can we set off a few nades behind the enemy and get the lost to pour in on them from the other flank? In the videos it looks like the lost will pour into a fight after a set timer or after explosions BUT it looks like they just pour in from a random side. Not necessarily from where the explosions went off. We might use explosions to attract the lost into a fight but have them surround us first and not the Advent troops we are fighting.
    Lost aren't attracted to the explosion spot per say, it's just that there's a hidden timer that triggers a random group, with explosions causing the timer to go down faster. However, they have mentioned multiple times that you can build a Lost Lure, I believe from researching the Lost, which should direct Lost to where you throw it. Like Boomer Bile in Left 4 Dead 2.

Nice article about covert
    ops. Looks very interesting. https://xcom.com/news/entries/xcom-2...covert-actions

Quote Originally Posted by Bill365 View Post
    Nice article about covert
    ops. Looks very interesting. https://xcom.com/news/entries/xcom-2...covert-actions
    I actually already started a thread about this blog: https://forums.2k.com/showthread.php...covert-actions

Here's something... I just finally got around to pre-purchasing WOC and Steam said the activation date was... August 28.

But wait... I thought it was the 29th! This is particularly good news for me because the 29th turns out to be my first official day back at work after summer vacation. So, does that mean I could binge a day before work???? Or if it kicks in at midnight, can I pull an allnighter before binging a day, and go to work w/ a gaming hangover?????? (It's just meetings, so no big deal if I'm not up to snuff.)

Watching some of the let's plays for War of the Chosen, I am amazed at the world building and atmosphere. I did not think it was possible but the devs have added even more atmosphere and world building to this game. You really feel like a resistance force on a future Earth where aliens rule. WoC looks amazing!!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast