Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: [War of the Chosen] New expansion!

All right, I'm a sap. Got a great offer from an online site that I still had credit with so I pulled the trigger and pre-ordered this... I've been purposely not reading up on this as I was initially bummed at what I was seeing and now I just want to be surprised, hopefully in a nice way! So two weeks to kill stuff/practice up on the game seeing I haven't played in quite some time. Here's hoping that I will be pleasantly surprised!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill365 View Post
    Here's something... I just finally got around to pre-purchasing WOC and Steam said the activation date was... August 28.

But wait... I thought it was the 29th! This is particularly good news for me because the 29th turns out to be my first official day back at work after summer vacation. So, does that mean I could binge a day before work???? Or if it kicks in at midnight, can I pull an allnighter before binging a day, and go to work w/ a gaming hangover?????? (It's just meetings, so no big deal if I'm not up to snuff.)
    That might be due to your location. The release date on Steam is actually accompanied with an actual time. And with time zones, that can translate easily for some parts in the world to get it the day before in the evening. The time is usually either 10am PT or midnight PT (Pacific time, the time in California & Washington).
    “If you are involved in a game, everything ends up being a set of trade-offs. Anything in a game is a sacrifice of things not in the game.” --Gabe Newell

Playing Firaxis games and helping out in the Official 2K Forums!
    My Blog: donald23.nl
    Steam profile: donald23

Christopher Dodd is doing an early let's play of War of the Chosen.

Here is part 4 that shows off the new haven assault mission (replacing the old retaliation mission) and gives an overview of the new resistance group mechanics and covert ops. Good stuff:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfntJDUv-hU

I think the haven assault mission is far better than the old retaliation mission. Basically, in the new haven assault mission, you are still rescuing civilians but now they are bunched together and there are NPC resistance fighters on the map battling it out with Advent. Your job is to get your squad to these pockets of resistance fighters in time and help them take out Advent. And the amount of supplies you get form the region is proportional to how many civilians you rescue. I love that there are resistance fighters on the map now fighting Advent. I feel like this mission fits the narrative better and makes the resistance feel more real.

I also LOVE how covert ops work and the bonuses that you can get from befriending the resistance groups.

Quote Originally Posted by donald23 View Post
    That might be due to your location. The release date on Steam is actually accompanied with an actual time. And with time zones, that can translate easily for some parts in the world to get it the day before in the evening. The time is usually either 10am PT or midnight PT (Pacific time, the time in California & Washington).
    I am in the Seattle area (PT), so it is plausible that if release is midnight AM on the 29th for the east coast, then it could unlock for me at 9:00 PM or so on the 28th. That has happened with other games. I didn't see any time mentioned on the Steam site, though. Do they usually mention time?

I am in the Seattle area (PT), so it is plausible that if release is midnight AM on the 29th for the east coast, then it could unlock for me at 9:00 PM or so on the 28th. That has happened with other games. I didn't see any time mentioned on the Steam site, though. Do they usually mention time?
    Yeah it says the 28th for me too and I'm on CST.

My Steam date was also on the 28th, it is now on the 29th though so I guess Steam screwed up

Kind regards,

Low
    An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Quote Originally Posted by Low_K View Post
    My Steam date was also on the 28th, it is now on the 29th though so I guess Steam screwed up

Kind regards,

Low
    Well, that's also a possibility of course
    “If you are involved in a game, everything ends up being a set of trade-offs. Anything in a game is a sacrifice of things not in the game.” --Gabe Newell

Playing Firaxis games and helping out in the Official 2K Forums!
    My Blog: donald23.nl
    Steam profile: donald23

One thing that really struck me watching the let plays is how units with 2 actions, if they don't move at all, can actually shoot, reload, shoot, reload indefinitely as long as they always kill a lost, thanks the head shot bonus of refunding an action point.

Quote Originally Posted by diplomat33 View Post
    One thing that really struck me watching the let plays is how units with 2 actions, if they don't move at all, can actually shoot, reload, shoot, reload indefinitely as long as they always kill a lost, thanks the head shot bonus of refunding an action point.
    I think this would depend on whether the unit has reloaders. Otherwise they can only reload once or until the free
    reloads are used up.

My release date still says the 28th. (But maybe I should shut up so as not to draw attention to it?)

I think this would depend on whether the unit has reloaders. Otherwise they can only reload once or until the free
    reloads are used up.
    Yeah, reloading burns an action unless they have an autoloader clip still available, so no infinite killing spree unless you're a sharpshooter with a pistol, but getting to burn through 2 clips worth of ammo is nothing to sneeze at either. For most guns that's at least 6 shots in one turn.

Quote Originally Posted by Warspectre View Post
    Yeah, reloading burns an action unless they have an autoloader clip still available, so no infinite killing spree unless you're a sharpshooter with a pistol, but getting to burn through 2 clips worth of ammo is nothing to sneeze at either. For most guns that's at least 6 shots in one turn.
    Watching Chris Dodd's LP, it looked like the Reaper could keep reloading multiple times and keep shooting with head shots.

Watching Chris Dodd's LP, it looked like the Reaper could keep reloading multiple times and keep shooting with head shots.
    Yeah, the Reaper is an exception, they get some free actions. Jake Soloman said as much. I'm not going to lie though, I'm not sure if they're circumstancial or how Reapers work in general.

Anyway I'm trying my best to refrain from watching Odd's LP because it's making waiting on the 29th to roll around too difficult. Today feels like Friday and it's only Thursday.

Quote Originally Posted by Warspectre View Post
    Anyway I'm trying my best to refrain from watching Odd's LP because it's making waiting on the 29th to roll around too difficult. Today feels like Friday and it's only Thursday.
    I won't spoil anything except to say that War of the Chosen looks pretty freakin' amazing.

What is with games releasing on Mondays and Tuesdays?!?! Why don't they release on a Friday, so people can pick them up at the end of a week and smash them over a weekend!?!

Is there actually any reason (sales wise) that releasing a game earlier in the week is considered better?

Quote Originally Posted by DazzD View Post
    What is with games releasing on Mondays and Tuesdays?!?! Why don't they release on a Friday, so people can pick them up at the end of a week and smash them over a weekend!?!

Is there actually any reason (sales wise) that releasing a game earlier in the week is considered better?
    I don't really know, but I think it might be so that the development team will be at work when it happens.

I don't really know, but I think it might be so that the development team will be at work when it happens.
    ^^ This, if there is any day one game breaking bugs or any other issues that slipped through the cracks, they've got most of the week to fix it and release a hot patch.

29th wont come fast enough

I won't spoil things for Warspectre but the new mission types are really cool. There is a lot more variety now in the missions both in environments and in what you need to do.

I won't spoil things for Warspectre but the new mission types are really cool. There is a lot more variety now in the missions both in environments and in what you need to do.
    Did you never wonder why kids watch the same video again and again. Spoilers is one of those silly myths like not swimming after eating, it's actually scientifically proven that the human mind likes something better if it has been spoiled first, biological evolution has forced certain thinking on us, sometimes this leads to unfortunate thinking, like evolution forcing us all to be racist and we have to choose to avoid it. While I think it's a good thing to avoid our natural racism, is it good to create the spoiler myth and start hate against spoilers, just to battle against our own nature?

Just like we are so much better at XCOM if we know how to choose our battles.

On the one hand, finding out how new mechanics work don't feel like "spoilers" in XCOM so much as "gathering intelligence" before an upcoming campaign. Knowing is half the battle, after all, and any military commander worth their salt would want to be as prepared as possible before leading his/her troops into danger.

However, end cinematics are part of the reward for successful play, and it can feel kind of cheap seeing such things by watching other people play for you. Early game cinematics not so much, because almost everyone sees those things. Not everyone is skilled enough to make it to the late game on their first try, though, which just increases the illusion of prestige for some people.

So it can be a bit complicated to judge what is a "spoiler", but I'd at least like to inform a guy whether or not a game plays well, and give some helpful tips to make adjusting to new mechanics easier.

That'll do it, thanks Bill.

Thanks for the concern, I appreciate it. I've seen the official dev trailers/walk throughs so I think I've had the first few in-game weeks spoiled for me already, but everything past that will still be new to me and I'm hoping to keep it that way.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456