Thread: Where to play MafiaI

Unhappy Where to play MafiaI

MafiaII was a fantastic game. But I keep hearing MafiaI is the better game. But I can't find anyway of playing it! Aparently it was taken off the steam store some years ago and there's no other way of buying it. Can't you guys put it up on gog.com or something?

It would be awesome if they released it on Steam.

They had it on steam, but they took it out in 2011 or 2012, but I don`t know why ...

Quote Originally Posted by DonKleofaszo View Post
    They had it on steam, but they took it out in 2011 or 2012, but I don`t know why ...
    Hmm, it's not like it had tons of copyrighted music on it. I'm surprised too, with 2K Czech merged, I suppose Hangar 13 technically own it. Though Take-Two and 2K Games made the executive decision.

Yeah probably you are right. All of us just can hope to get the game back in the steam store. Never had the chance to buy it on steam, so I bought it on Amazon as CD but it doesn`t work on win8.1. Some Bs to be honest.

I still got the copy from the old days (that i had since Aug 2002) but i got it patched with widescreen fix (so it displays properly in say 1080p etc on modern monitors. like for a quick test you can enable and disable the patch (through editing of a .ini file) and watch that 'intro' game cut scene on the games main menu) and more draw distance. it's also on the newest patch so that racing mission is much easier as without it, while i did beat it pre-patch, it was quite difficult.

it works great on newest version of Windows 10 which is build 15063.540. i got Windows 10 x64 Pro. i3-2120 CPU and a 1050 Ti 4GB graphics card and 8GB of system RAM.

MafiaII was a fantastic game. But I keep hearing MafiaI is the better game.
    It is! ; i am not quick to label a game a masterpiece but Mafia (2002) (on PC) is a masterpiece (probably the only game i would classify with that masterpiece label to). in fact, it's my #1 single player video game experience to date as i first played it back when it was new in Aug 2002 and replayed it here and there over the years since as just the overall experience/feeling you get, you just don't get from video games in general and need movies to pull that off. i plan on replaying it, along with Mafia II, in the not too distant future as i am currently playing Mafia III but once i get done with that etc ill be replaying those two games once again. Mafia II is still one of the very top games i have played but it never quite captured the magic of the first one. also, for those who played the first game will notice one mission in the 2nd game plays off the nostalgia of the first. but for those who never played the first game then the part tied to the first game in the second game will just seem like a typical mission with no meaning.

also, one thing i liked in Mafia (2002) was that weapons reloading is realistic in that say you got a Tommy Gun for example... you fire off one shot and then reload the weapon. well, in modern games (Mafia II/Mafia III and basically all other shooters) it would simply deduct one shot from your reserves and refill your weapon. but with Mafia (2002) on the other hand... you will lose all additional 49 shots in the weapons drum! ; basically it forces you to be more selective when reloading (otherwise you could be out of ammo quickly if your into the habit of reloading often after firing a shot or two etc) as i replayed the game quite a bit so i basically know when i can get a bit more trigger happy etc. but basically you need to find a balance between running your clip/drum as low as possible on ammo before reloading the weapon but, obviously, you don't want to wait for it to be so low you reload in the middle of a firefight. this helps keep it so you don't run too low on ammo too fast. because if you reload often like you can in a modern shooter you will be out of ammo quickly in Mafia (2002). the game is more challenging than your typical shooter to and that more realistic weapon reloads is part of adding to the challenge.

also, there is more recoil on the Tommy Gun in Mafia (2002) vs Mafia II (2010). so in a way it forces you to be more controlled when using it as i tend to just tap the trigger and go mostly for headshots. but every now and then, when i know i am at a part in the game where you can 'let-loose' with the Tommy Gun i go full auto and guide the spray into some vehicles so they explode as i know there is plenty of ammo laying around in certain parts of the game.

on a side note... i was reading some recent articles on Mafia (2002) and it appears that game was in development for 5 years. 1997 til it's release in 2002. i got to give credit to Daniel Vavra for creating that masterpiece (hell, there is not many games in the 3D era from around the early 2000's and older that i will still enjoy to this day but Mafia is one of them and might be the only one or close to it.)

p.s. for the record... i played Mafia II and currently playing Mafia III on highest difficulty settings. all played on the PC as i can't stand consoles for shooter games simply because the mouse is just much easier to use to track and shoot stuff on screen vs a analog stick which i am simply not good enough with that to enjoy shooters which is why i always play shooters on a PC (with rare exception).

But I can't find anyway of playing it!
    I can get rid of that problem for you

Never had the chance to buy it on steam, so I bought it on Amazon as CD but it doesn`t work on win8.1. Some Bs to be honest.
    It should as it works on Windows 10 but i have a feeling your using it from those CD's straight up (the game was originally released on 3 CD's) as it's probably the copy protection BS interfering with it. you need to 'make it' so it does not require the CD in the drive to play. but i don't know how much i can discuss on this here so ill just leave it at that for now. check your personal message if your still here.
    Last edited by ThaCrip; 2 Weeks Ago at 01:33 AM.