Thread: 2K17 - The Last WWE Game for PS3/Xbox 360

2K17 - The Last WWE Game for PS3/Xbox 360

Well guys, I guess this is it. It was announced today that 2K18 will be for Xbox One and PS4. No mention of 360 and PS3. So for the people (such as myself) who are still playing the old consoles, what is your next move? Will you now be forced to get either a PS4 or Xbox One? Have your WWE games days come to an end? For me personally, I'll probably get a PS4 for Christmas.

It's unfortunate, but the day had to come sooner or later. My first thought was "I guess I'll wait for the PC version and hope my laptop can run it like 2K17" as I still have too many games on PS360 that I have unfinished business with before jumping to the next generation. Plus, I have friends who would be getting the 8th Gen version anyway so I can always check it out there anyway.
    YOU for the CYBER SERIES!
    Vote to decide who is the best male WWE Superstar on the roster today!
    Currently voting: Semi-Final Matches

Guess imma skip 2k18 too. I skipped 2k17 and it didn't break my heart & with the rumors I've been hearing about whats in store for 2k18 I think Imma sit this one out guys.

The way they put out 2k17 last gen with bare bones, I am not shocked. I guess this will get them focused on current gen. I have a ps4. Its still a deciding factor to get it or not. It been fun. I still play the heck out of 2k14. Goodbye to custom music.

Really sucks but I suspected we'd not get it :-(

I don't really want a PS4 version - slow gameplay, every match going about 20 minutes, complicated pin/submission feature, can't pick people up so they have their back to you etc

How is current gen going to replicate the cruiserweight division?? Slow cruiserweights will be crappy, the current gen fanboys are throwing parties about 2K18 not being on last gen, I think it sucks, even if it was expected it still sucks

Let's avoid terms like "fanboys" as it's used in a derogatory manner. You're better than that.

As for wondering how the game will create differences in style, let's leave that question for the 2K18 forum, then wait and see.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeokage View Post
    Let's avoid terms like "fanboys" as it's used in a derogatory manner. You're better than that.

As for wondering how the game will create differences in style, let's leave that question for the 2K18 forum, then wait and see.
    I apologize for the "fanboy" comment, I am just disappointed and they're gloating about us not getting a version, like you I have unfinished PS3 games I want to complete before PS4 is even a consideration for me, will this forum close upon 2K18s release?

It's understandable, I don't like the gloating either and I'm disappointed in those engaging in it. There's no evidence where the "extra resources" are being assigned, if they're even assigned elsewhere on the project at all. They could have been moved over to a Switch-specific version with a Mushroom Kingdom arena for all we know.

As for the forum, if the 2K14 and later forums are any indication, it won't close.

And there's nothing that disproves the fact that resources were wasted making last gen version

Quote Originally Posted by cat View Post
    And there's nothing that disproves the fact that resources were wasted making last gen version

given the fact 2k16 and 17 were cut and paste jobs....whatever new resources next gen folks have been saying will now be free are likely just ignorant folks who have 0 clue about software development. there is a myth that by cutting out the minimal work they do on last gen, that the next gen games will improve 100 fold.

its the usual optimistic thinking that is quickly crushed on release day.

I guess we'll see

There is still hope that they create another game that utilizes the gameplay and controls of the 7th gen. I hate not having an option tho. We don't have any other choices but firepro. I guess we can always start a petition to bring it back to the 7th gen especially if they are releasing nba2k18 on the ps3/360.

Quote Originally Posted by zhigge View Post
    There is still hope that they create another game that utilizes the gameplay and controls of the 7th gen. I hate not having an option tho. We don't have any other choices but firepro. I guess we can always start a petition to bring it back to the 7th gen especially if they are releasing nba2k18 on the ps3/360.
    we've been hoping for better WWE games for years. the next gen games are proof that they do not care. those games play horrendously. and then if you add all the ridiculous WWE restrictions to the games and it becomes even worse. the sad thing is i was never a fan of firepro(i hate the auto lock up system) but i do hope it succeeds and puts a dent into the WWE game monopoly.

I enjoy 2k17 for what it is. Universe mode is pretty good (generally) and I have a decent roster with CAWS.

I don't have ages to spend playing video games at my age with a young baby.

Happy to stick with what I have

I haven't played much last gen since the move up to current, but whatever people think about this from a resources or time or upgrading point of view I think it's still the end of an era. To use quite possibly the corniest Undertaker analogy possible, I look back at the fond memories of playing this series on the consoles that have now had their streaks ended.
    UNION Wrestling Season 2 moves towards UNEASY ALLIANCE! (here)
    ReverseLegSweep: MyPlayer Misadventures diary coming soon!
    WWE 2K Wiki (here) 2K/YUKE'S Characters (here) WW-Eek Alt. WWE Universe (here)

Quote Originally Posted by ReverseLegSweep View Post
    I haven't played much last gen since the move up to current, but whatever people think about this from a resources or time or upgrading point of view I think it's still the end of an era. To use quite possibly the corniest Undertaker analogy possible, I look back at the fond memories of playing this series on the consoles that have now had their streaks ended.
    Ditto until they put all the cools moves , CAF, GM mode etc I'm still going to play last gen versions of the games. My 360 , WII (FOR DOR)and Xbone are side by side below my ps3 one i would be nice if we could get the best of the animations though.

I'll still be playing whatever old WWE games my nephew has for his 360 with him, so it'll not be the end completely. Might pick him up 2K17 if I can get it cheap enough and have a last hurrah with the platform.
    UNION Wrestling Season 2 moves towards UNEASY ALLIANCE! (here)
    ReverseLegSweep: MyPlayer Misadventures diary coming soon!
    WWE 2K Wiki (here) 2K/YUKE'S Characters (here) WW-Eek Alt. WWE Universe (here)

Quote Originally Posted by ReverseLegSweep View Post
    I'll still be playing whatever old WWE games my nephew has for his 360 with him, so it'll not be the end completely. Might pick him up 2K17 if I can get it cheap enough and have a last hurrah with the platform.
    I was considering it too play with current stars and mess about with the ladders physics and the movese taken out in the move to new gen

Especially with how the games are obsolete on a realistic level by the time they come out unless they fix the custom theme problem I'll probably just stick with 2K17 on 360. Yes I'll be disappointed I won't have the actual cruiserweight guys and new rings and stuff like that but I'd rather have that and be able to have Drew McIntyre's entrance theme than not have it

It does make me wonder if I should do that too, but then again there's also the issue of what to do with my CAW roster. Do I lose some for later signees or go with what I have and stick there?

As for why, there was an answer given over in the 2K18 forum.

Quote Originally Posted by 2Kayfabe View Post
    The decision for WWE 2K18 to not come out on last gen is a very complicated one. It’s about weighing several different factors about the current market, time constraints, available resources, etc.

It’s a decision that several teams of people felt was the right choice. Personally, I think the PS3 in particular had a long lived lifespan. But, regardless of how beloved a console is there is the inevitable end of a consoles life cycle.

The games industry is wildly unpredictable and often times we have to go with the information we have at the time and make tough calls about when to start and stop all aspects of game development. I hope that clarifies things somewhat.
    It's what I expected, no singular reason, but at least it's also official now. Whether they use the resources (or lay off people, which is also possible), we probably will never know.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeokage View Post
    It does make me wonder if I should do that too, but then again there's also the issue of what to do with my CAW roster. Do I lose some for later signees or go with what I have and stick there?

As for why, there was an answer given over in the 2K18 forum.

It's what I expected, no singular reason, but at least it's also official now. Whether they use the resources (or lay off people, which is also possible), we probably will never know.
    my CAW roster is also one reason i didnt play a lot of 2k17.....i took a lot of effort to make my 2k16 CAW roster as perfect as i wanted.

but ive been a huge CAW fan for years....its why i stuck with wwe 13 for awhile before finally moving onto 2k16. and my DOR CAW roster is simply absurd. probably 30 memory cards worth.

I wish we had more than 100 CAW slots, because it's impossible to have a modern roster on just 100 CAW slots

Decent wrestler CAWs are very hard to find, the amount of garbage CAWs you get on CC is maddening

As for the current gen gloaters they overlook current gen games problems...rings being too small, every match being an epic 20 minutes match (not what you want for Main Event or Superstars event), can't assign multiple finishers, can't pick someone up with their back facing you to name a few

I wouldn't be surprised if the decision to cut last gen comes from the fact that they couldn't copy and paste this year's game down to new arenas, new announcers, new ring announcer/s etc

So what about last gen version of the game not taking any resources from current gen version? I mean look at all the upgrades that are happening, what a coincidence that it's happening when they dropped last gen.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich.ncee View Post
    Decent wrestler CAWs are very hard to find, the amount of garbage CAWs you get on CC is maddening

As for the current gen gloaters they overlook current gen games problems...rings being too small, every match being an epic 20 minutes match (not what you want for Main Event or Superstars event), can't assign multiple finishers, can't pick someone up with their back facing you to name a few

I wouldn't be surprised if the decision to cut last gen comes from the fact that they couldn't copy and paste this year's game down to new arenas, new announcers, new ring announcer/s etc
    the current gen gloaters just got create a match where they can set their own set of rules
    free roam in mycareer backstage areas 3 times the size of the one in 2k17

Quote Originally Posted by cat View Post
    So what about last gen version of the game not taking any resources from current gen version? I mean look at all the upgrades that are happening, what a coincidence that it's happening when they dropped last gen.
    They said they had been working on those new engine changes for years behind the scenes. It seems as if Last Gen got cut because they planned on implementing an entirely new engine that has been in development for years. The never said "Cutting last gen has led to such increased development", last gen was a non-factor in current gen upgrades.

Either way, i'm happy.

i think its for the best, more time dedicated to be able to focus on a single version of the game, letr's face it, the last 2 years the old gen games was the same, just a roster update.

Realistically Playstation 4's are getting cheaper and cheaper - You can pick up a ps4 for $300. Whether you pay for it in full or have to save up for it it's not out of reach for anyone.

Anything can be accomplished with desire - No excuses.

I didn't get WWE 2K17 on PS3 because I didn't think it was worth it, but I think I should have. To be honest, and in my opinion, WWE 2K17 on PS4 wasn't that great, so maybe I should have stuck with last gen for the final year.

Plus WWE 2K18 would have been a much better welcoming to the next gen, with match rules still being there as if it wasn't just added to next gen (even though it was). Having savable custom matches, create a video, victory, so many moves, the MyPlayer mode with Road to Glory (which I find fun) and MyCareer free-roaming, the GLOW EFFECT and the even bigger roster all at once would have been better than upgrading to PS4 to get 2K17 instead.