Thread: How does WOTC performance compare to base game?

How does WOTC performance compare to base game?

I haven't bought WOTC yet, and I'm curious if anyone can comment on the supposed performance improvements over the base game.

Thanks!

I was blow away in the early stages, not waiting but a second to load up maps etc... but now that I'm more than half way thru, the first time load is about 20 seconds, and maps are probably 10.
    I'm mostly comparing to LW2 where the load times were super terrible.

Thanks. What about gameplay? Is it improved?

Fools will be fools...

The base game did this: Show the group of soldiers in the transport plane, then loading loading loading loading, press a key to start.

They changed it to: loading Loading Loading, show soldiers in transport plane, loading, press a key to start.

This makes the human brain's perception of waiting change dramatically, I'm still waiting minutes to load, I just do it at a empty screen with a rotating XCOM logo in the corner, but it feels a lot better because the press a key to start comes up shortly after it changes the picture.

There is some improvements, but mostly us getting fooled by the feel of loading and perhaps mod slowdown that they no longer suffer.

Quote Originally Posted by Miravlix View Post
    Fools will be fools...

The base game did this: Show the group of soldiers in the transport plane, then loading loading loading loading, press a key to start.

They changed it to: loading Loading Loading, show soldiers in transport plane, loading, press a key to start.

This makes the human brain's perception of waiting change dramatically, I'm still waiting minutes to load, I just do it at a empty screen with a rotating XCOM logo in the corner, but it feels a lot better because the press a key to start comes up shortly after it changes the picture.

There is some improvements, but mostly us getting fooled by the feel of loading and perhaps mod slowdown that they no longer suffer.
    I don't get that. I get into a mission almost immediately from squad screen (on PC).

Maybe it starts generating the map while changing characters and loadout, but even when I've pretty much just gone straight to mission without any faffing around, I haven't seen a blank screen at all and get into a mission much much faster than before.

Your experience may be different, but that doesn't make everyone else fools.

Personally, I found the performance was much improved. As soon as I evac from the mission, the summary screen comes up. Then I close that, I have literally two seconds of loading on the Skyranger before I can move on to the next stage. It's around 20 seconds faster, overall. Map loading is also faster, at around 3 seconds. Then again, my computer has something like 16GB of RAM, so maybe that's accentuating the performance increase.

Thanks guys. How about performance in battle? I remember character movement being jerky sometimes, and the occasional random slowdown.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagless View Post
    I don't get that. I get into a mission almost immediately from squad screen (on PC).

Maybe it starts generating the map while changing characters and loadout, but even when I've pretty much just gone straight to mission without any faffing around, I haven't seen a blank screen at all and get into a mission much much faster than before.

Your experience may be different, but that doesn't make everyone else fools.
    His point (and I agree as I notice it too) is that while you get into it almost immediately from the squad screen, you're now spending a bunch of time loading on a black screen prior to that. Thus the actual loading time hasn't really changed that much, just how much time you're spending on which screen has. It isn't uncommon for me to be able to load in before Bradford is done talking now, but if he would have started talking when the screen first went black then he would always be done before I was able to load in...just like in Vanilla.

Personally I also feel like the end-of-mission Transport takes longer. It's shorter if you didn't know about the Vanilla Caps Lock trick (after a mission press Caps Lock, screen will stutter for a second, but then you can press a button to be at the Avenger screen that shows promotions/wounded/etc) but it seems this was removed in WotC so for those of us that used it the WotC end-of-mission loading is actually longer.

Could this perceived loading time be a difference of SSD vs HDD? Maybe for those with SSD's the game loads much faster?

As far as the Caps Lock trick for quickly getting through the end transport screen, I remember the devs saying that if you used that you could potentially get a crash, or some other unwanted state. So it appears they fixed that "feature".

Could this perceived loading time be a difference of SSD vs HDD? Maybe for those with SSD's the game loads much faster?
    No. I installed it on HDD, loading time is much shorter in WOTC.
    With 16 gb ram I also disabled swap file, it added up to overall perfomance removing some micro-freezes.

Quote Originally Posted by BeWary View Post

As far as the Caps Lock trick for quickly getting through the end transport screen, I remember the devs saying that if you used that you could potentially get a crash, or some other unwanted state. So it appears they fixed that "feature".
    I have both vanilla and WotC on an HDD. Having it on an SSD would cause it to load faster compared to being on an HDD but it wouldn't explain vanilla being roughly the same or faster.

They might say that but I had over 200 hours in Vanilla and never once experienced a crash or other unwanted state from using the caps lock feature. If anything not using it resulted in an unwanted state; the state of an excessive load screen.