Thread: What do you find so fun about Universe mode?

What do you find so fun about Universe mode?

Want to know. I tried it and it's fun customizing everything to your liking but there really aren't many cut scenes and it feels repetitive after a while. I spent hours trying making my own teams and brand split and stuff but it's just that playing against the AI gets boring to me. It isn't as fun as playing against a real person IMO.

Universe would be fun if you were playing the matches with another person but I play alone. So I guess I'm looking for advice on how you guys make it more fun.

I tend to keep my shows documented on Google Docs, writing down how the matches I play turn out and write custom promos in place of the generic lines that are offered in the game. It tends to help me stay invested as the rivalries I create have actual stories to them rather than just "wrestler A confronts wrestler B" and then the next week "wrestler B attacks wrestler A".
    #KissTheRing

i make my own rivalries and now with them starting by just having them in a match or by attacking them its more fun this year i play alone too
    the difference is i don't need anyone to be playing with me or against me to have fun i find depending on a friend or some player online too limiting
    sometimes i go to a friends house or vice versa and we have fun playing but i can have fun playing against the ai too if not i wouldn't be playing this games

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sandman View Post
    I tend to keep my shows documented on Google Docs, writing down how the matches I play turn out and write custom promos in place of the generic lines that are offered in the game. It tends to help me stay invested as the rivalries I create have actual stories to them rather than just "wrestler A confronts wrestler B" and then the next week "wrestler B attacks wrestler A".
    Do you just keep it all to yourself or do you share it? Feels like unless you are sharing it, like some people do through youtube, what is the use of writing custom promos and such? Just my IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by elric6 View Post
    i make my own rivalries and now with them starting by just having them in a match or by attacking them its more fun this year i play alone too
    the difference is i don't need anyone to be playing with me or against me to have fun i find depending on a friend or some player online too limiting
    sometimes i go to a friends house or vice versa and we have fun playing but i can have fun playing against the ai too if not i wouldn't be playing this games
    So in what ways do you make it fun? If we had a little more control over the rivalries, I would enjoy Universe more but managers being pretty useless and most of the rivalries end up being the same two guys facing each other again and again. I've had maybe one I think that played out nicely and they didn't face each other until a few weeks but any ideas on how to make it more fun, I will take.

So far I've made custom attires, did my own brand split, and made some teams and groups. That is another thing that just struck me. I don't think stables have any use in the Universe mode. It just seems to be tag teams and singles wrestlers, so I don't see much use for stables or managers.

I just use it as a calendar. I book my shows, rivalries and events. The cutscenes and promos are awful so I don't use them. I'll decide if someone is "injured" and when he'll make his return. Been doing it since No Mercy. Universe just provides a helpful calendar so I don't have to write anything down.

I'll let you know when it finally works
    ♠ Acey ♠
    I like wrestling games that work.

Quote Originally Posted by Karen Walker View Post
    Do you just keep it all to yourself or do you share it? Feels like unless you are sharing it, like some people do through youtube, what is the use of writing custom promos and such? Just my IMO.

So in what ways do you make it fun? If we had a little more control over the rivalries, I would enjoy Universe more but managers being pretty useless and most of the rivalries end up being the same two guys facing each other again and again. I've had maybe one I think that played out nicely and they didn't face each other until a few weeks but any ideas on how to make it more fun, I will take.

So far I've made custom attires, did my own brand split, and made some teams and groups. That is another thing that just struck me. I don't think stables have any use in the Universe mode. It just seems to be tag teams and singles wrestlers, so I don't see much use for stables or managers.
    i make use of the break outs when there's no cutscene in the end of the match when they face each other wich with me most of the rivalries i have
    they don't face each other every week, one week they face a different superstar the next they're in a tagteam match and there's also the promo
    thats either a self promotion that gets interrupted or a call out promo i usually end them with a brawl

I wanted to know the answer to this too. Its cool at first but stuff starts getting same-y. I guess for my single player in wrestling games I need a cinematic story experience. voiced over cutscenes and such. I just get suspend my disbelief and have this crazy imagination to love Universe mode. Im a competitive gamer so online is where I go. 10x more satisfaction in reversing others moves and realizing they arent reversing yours because you're mixing them up not because the game is programmed for the AI to reverse after an amount of moves
    HUSTLE I LOYALTY I RESPECT

Quote Originally Posted by CENATION-CHAINGANG View Post
    I wanted to know the answer to this too. Its cool at first but stuff starts getting same-y. I guess for my single player in wrestling games I need a cinematic story experience. voiced over cutscenes and such. I just get suspend my disbelief and have this crazy imagination to love Universe mode. Im a competitive gamer so online is where I go. 10x more satisfaction in reversing others moves and realizing they arent reversing yours because you're mixing them up not because the game is programmed for the AI to reverse after an amount of moves
    Weird part about that, yo, Universe is supposed to be a cinematic story when playing through it. No voice acting though. But, Universe is supposed to be a world that have things happen based on your actions when playing through the mode. And I guess when the threw in the rivalry feature, it limited those cinematic scenes. And editing those rivalries will kill furthering the rivalry to show new cut-scenes.

I think Universe needs to be fully explained every year. Because, you can just in there and get things started without a tutorial. Meanwhile, MyCAREER does it every year.
    It's, um, Double!

Quote Originally Posted by CENATION-CHAINGANG View Post
    Agree. I get more satisfaction having those close matches with real people, and it is possible. Never feel the same satisfaction against the AI. Universe is cool for a while but after going through maybe two PPVs, it starts to feel very repetitive. Would have been great if they never removed Create-A-Story and we could implement that in Universe somehow. Wish they brought that back and the feature to download stories on Community Creations.

Quote Originally Posted by feusebio View Post
    I just use it as a calendar. I book my shows, rivalries and events. The cutscenes and promos are awful so I don't use them. I'll decide if someone is "injured" and when he'll make his return. Been doing it since No Mercy. Universe just provides a helpful calendar so I don't have to write anything down.

If you remove the cutsenes, aren't you just pretty much just playing matches? I'm confused.

I've considered sharing what I've written so far but it's mostly summaries. The reason I write custom promos though is because it helps me to fill in the missing pieces. I can build up certain characters and feuds in my head rather than just playing aimlessly which gets boring very quickly. Writing stuff up also helps with stables as I can piece things together myself and have "rivalries" that are manually booked just by using the interference options and promos. All in all it just helps make Universe more cohesive for me.
    #KissTheRing

Agree. I get more satisfaction having those close matches with real people, and it is possible. Never feel the same satisfaction against the AI. Universe is cool for a while but after going through maybe two PPVs, it starts to feel very repetitive. Would have been great if they never removed Create-A-Story and we could implement that in Universe somehow. Wish they brought that back and the feature to download stories on Community Creations.

If you remove the cutsenes, aren't you just pretty much just playing matches? I'm confused.
    Yes, I play the matches and fill in the blanks with my imagination. The game has never been good enough to properly simulate what I think up so this is the best I can do with what they built.

Quote Originally Posted by feusebio View Post
    Yes, I play the matches and fill in the blanks with my imagination. The game has never been good enough to properly simulate what I think up so this is the best I can do with what they built.
    This. I make up all kinds of background stories, history, & personality traits for both my player and the ai before/during/after matches.

To me wrestling's best storytelling is always done in the ring.

Promos and angles were never meant to be the main attraction they were suppose to sell you on seeing the match wherein the real story was told.

So I get a lot of joy out of crafting each show myself and using the flimsy promo and run in mechanics as very basic set ups for the matches then I have a lot of fun thinking on my feet trying to piece together meaningful story driven matches in the ring.

That's next to impossible to do playing online where its more of a competition between players where I enjoy trying to really sim pro wrestling.

The fun i have is i put the more recent legends that can still compete today, edge, daniel bryan, Lita, etc etc and i use em till i get bored and have a stipulation that when a legend loses a title or title match they are retired, so far only Lita and Trish are still active but that is soon to change, and i have fun with the random matches that universe creates and soon thinking of having a NXT invasion on the main roster once the NXT pack is released

i play imagine my self as the gm spectate all matches except the woman matches.do my own draft,set up my own matches etc and keep my eyes open for any run in post,mid,or entrance lol like a gm usally does .i keep a time sheet of all the winners and loosers everyweek.manually set the powerrankin my self.i also reset every1 attributes so undertaker will always be winning with all his attributes up,john wont be able to loose by sum1 like sami or jinder etc lol.its fun this year ith potential rivalry so after a match u may sum sum 1 run in and beat up the looser or the winner etc to start a new rivalry or as the gm u can stART it on your own if u dont see the cpu do it,within a week or two lol.there u goessssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

yep i was thinkin the same .we werent suppose to see the number of cutsence that are in um and my career in the editor section.they were suppose to be unpredictable and not repetetive.with the entrance ,mid and p[ost run ins we were suppose to see sum interesting things happing in um which i saw on some1 utube um but there arent enough sutcence to make if epic .2k employers are not thinking right they are boring
    Last edited by Zeokage; 6 Days Ago at 02:58 PM. Reason: Multiple posts, please use the edit function

I like building Superstar popularity and booking shows/events that compete with another brand in a ratings war, making each match actually matter...oh wait, that was GM Mode.
    THE PEOPLE's COMMUNITY MANAGER
    #GMMode2k18
    #Hogan2k18

The autobooking sometimes makes great descisions and the feuds can be pretty fun depending who's in them.

Universe Mode's fun level is all down to the player. What you put in is what you get out.

For example, I've found that smaller rosters make for better shows.

What I do is play it like I am the boss of the shows.

I have RAW , Smackdown live. RAW is war and smackdown!

I change all matches. Then I play the superstar that I want to use.
    If you want WWF buy a WWF game.

What I find fun about Universe mode is creating storylines, matches, background stories, and so on. Of course, it is all in my head and I've tried the whole YouTube thing but I just cannot ever get the videos to portray what I want them to. Idk if its the fact I don't have the patience, time, ability, or a combination of all those factors. My saving grace is that I am so creative, so just having these storylines and back stories play out in my head is good enough to keep me interested for awhile. I loved the Create a Story feature long ago because I felt I could tell better stories with it, but until that returns, my head will have to do. I have thought about creating Universe Mode Diaries on here though, because I do like to share my creative thoughts and angles with others.

As a kid I used to use my wrestling toys to have events, ppvs, and I would keep track title reigns and feuds. Universe mode is basically the adult version of playing with your wrestling toys in my opinion. It's why I always want more control, more belts, more customization. It's basically a way to fantasy book whatever you want.

Let's be honest deep down we all wanted to be wrestlers and once we got older we all want to be bookers.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveMac View Post
    As a kid I used to use my wrestling toys to have events, ppvs, and I would keep track title reigns and feuds.
    Bahaha, so did I. And for make believe injuries, I'd put scotch tape around limbs or the ribs like DDP.
    THE PEOPLE's COMMUNITY MANAGER
    #GMMode2k18
    #Hogan2k18