Thread: Does it make sense to buy this game on PS4?

Question Does it make sense to buy this game on PS4?

I'm a big XCOM:EU fan.

But I remember how long it took the company to patch the PS3 version, one year after the release. It was disgraceful. But even all that waiting and applying the patches, both of my Ironman campaigns on PS3 hung and crashed about the end of the game. I still don't know what happens at the finale of XCOM:EU / EW. I simply gave up.

I promised myself that I wouldn't pay for XCOM2 until it has gone GOTY and fully patched.

I just saw the full digital game on Ps4 Store (minus the WOTC) to be offered for only £23. It's a great deal, but then I thought I better check the forum to get some feedback.

And arriving here, I can see all the disappointed comments crying out for a patch.

Oh, my dear, nothing has changed!!! This company never learns from their mistakes.

I was looking forward playing this during the holiday season. Is it worth it to buy it now and waiting for the patch? Or is it rather hopeless to think it would come before Xmas and better wait for the Special/GOTY edition with everything included (that is hopefully patched though)?

What do you recommend?

Buy the base game if you want but..

DON'T BUY WOTC

I don't know how really work 2K but in my experience from other company , there are always some response what a majority is asking a fix/patch like "Yes they will a patch " but this is a complete silence which makes me think there will never one .

It is your money/choice, you can always hope like the ohter guy ( ) for a Xmas release. Personally if I had known about the Wotc problem I would never have bought, not before several months to see if it has evolved or no....

In my opinion the base game plus the first 2 DLCs is definitely worth the 23 dollars. You might get a game crash once in a while but it only happened to me if i was playing for like 5 hours straight without stopping. A way to avoid it was every couple hours i would close the game and restart it. I never had any trouble losing my ironman saves either even when I had a crash. Really the biggest problem with it is load times and for me I got used to them to where they didn't bother me.

War of the Chosen however I cannot recommend it to anyone right now on ps4. Granted I really enjoy it, and I have found ways to prevent crashes for the most part, but the crashes arent the only problem. Theres many. I have completed WOTC once so far on legend and throughout the campaign I would estimate my game crashed about 30+ times. I could sit here and talk about all of the problems for a while so I'm going to stop here.

If you want to play the game badly enough I say go for it. The base game plus the first 2 dlcs are fantastic. There is plenty of replay value within that you won't need WOTC for a while. Think of it as training for WOTC. I am planning on playing another vanilla campaign soon. Its still really good. WOTC I say wait although there isn't any information available that i know of to prove we are actually waiting for something. Im just assuming they will fix it eventually at this point.

I bought Digital Deluxe version from PS store a month ago or so, and it has been working fine. I haven't seen it yet crashing (but I usually only play 2-3 hours at a time). Loading times are a bit long, but still tolerable. I guess the base game has been patched well enough.

Its a good game but super buggy, there should be patch coming soon ? I think, but in this state its torture to play on ps4, everything is a mess, check this thread. https://forums.2k.com/showthread.php...n-PS4-bug-list

Quote Originally Posted by KeijoKurkku View Post
    Its a good game but super buggy, there should be patch coming soon ? I think, but in this state its torture to play on ps4, everything is a mess, check this thread. https://forums.2k.com/showthread.php...n-PS4-bug-list
    That thread is about WOTC, we were talking about base game plus older DLCs. They are perfectly playable now on PS4.

I have the digital deluxe on PS4 (Pro). I pre-ordered, and it was unplayable for several months. 2K is very slow to patch this game, even for game-breaking bugs. It is very upsetting to pay a premium for a game, and then see it discounted heavily by the time it is patched to a playable state. That said I think it is in good shape now. I was able to beat the game on PS4 a couple times.

I am waiting on WotC for it to be patched up.

I do recommend you play it on Rookie. It is a lot harder then XCom1!

Quote Originally Posted by tipu1976 View Post
    That thread is about WOTC, we were talking about base game plus older DLCs. They are perfectly playable now on PS4.
    I'd disagree.

Frame drops, game hangs, long delays between actions, terrible timing between shots and effect indicators, gameplay features not working correctly.. the list of errors in this game are massive. I regret the purchase, because like you, told myself that I would dodge Firaxis until they learned how to port to consoles.

There was sale though, so I jumped in for 24$, like you are considering. If the disappointment in their PS3 port still frustrates you, STAY AWAY, because all the things that made the ps3 ports feel like unsupported money grabs are still around in full force.

Honestly, I could never understand why anybody would play especially thsese kind of games on a console/a controller.

I swith the cameras and perspective and height and all that around so often and it works really well with keyboard and mouse, that I would feel completly handicapped with only a controller.

That is the one major reason why I only had one console as a kid. A super nintendo and I really like the games. But we (or more precisely my brother) also had a pc quite early and loved games like doom 1 and 2, quake, system shock and all that.

But when it comes to shooters, twitch reactions and precise aiming, movement and also the navigation and controlling in more complex games such as rpgs or xcom 2 for instance.....mouse and keyboard feels so much better, that I could never understand why anybody would willingly play on a controller.

You have thousand times more sensitivity in your entire hand than with a thumb or whatever finger you use on a controller to navigate on a map. Keyboard and mouse is absolutely mandatory for me. Consoles with their controllers are no real gamers thing. He or she would always prefer maximum control over err....the controls. To aim better, move better, have way more options on a keyboard and all that.

Playing such a game on a friggin console is blasphemy. Its like watching Star Wars for the first time and then being so drunk you cant even understand what they are saying, the movie being way too quite, on a bad, broken screen in a bad quality.

Thats blasphemy too.

You play xcom 2 on a pc with a proper manly keyboard and a manly mouse on a fat flat screen.

Thats how you play it. Thats how you enjoy it. You play tekken on a controller.

Not xcom 2.

Correct me if I'm wrong but as far as know ther's no sign of a GOTY edition. I'd get this myself but we could be waiting a while...............

can't disagree more, while you're spot on for FPS and precision of mouse/keyboard combo, your argument makes no sense for games like XCOM. the controls on console are awesome, you can move your camera well enough and I always laugh when I see playthrough of PC games dragging their pointers to click on menus, even more when it's about hitting ONE button in the middle of the screen!
    Just doesn't make any sense to me, a well designed UI for TURNED based games, especially relying heavily on menus, will always be more efficient if well done with a controller (or just keyboard).
    But I guess we can just agree to disagree here

I just feel completly handicapped with a controller. Even just moving the screen with a mouse feels way more comfortable than doing it with a controller.

But to each his own. I just need a mouse and a keyboard. Id never play such a game on a controller.

Quote Originally Posted by chucky.de View Post
    Honestly, I could never understand why anybody would play especially thsese kind of games on a console/a controller.
    This is such an opinionated post. My intent wasn't starting a PC vs console argument, as it's pointless. Everybody has his/her reasons to choose a platform.

Just to share my view of this, I played XCOM on PS3 and I loved how I could control the soldiers with the gamepad. Due lack of patches I finally gave in and bought the game on PC. Then I got sucked into mods and soon after PS4 arrived and I gave up on the finishing the game.

I didn't like the mouse and keyboard at all. Whenever I wanted to throw a grenade the screen scrolled out of the view. I bought now the vanilla XCOM2 on PS4. I love the controls on the gamepad again.

On another note, I used to be a PC gamer for over a decade before I switched to Playstation. I can't even imagine ever going back to PC. I code 12 hours a day on my desk. I simply can't sit in the same chair to "relax" and play games. I prefer lying down in my £2000 premium leather sofa with feather filling, and play the game on a 55" TV. This is what I call relaxing and fun.

Everyone is different and has different reasons for choosing a platform. When I asked this question, it was just to know if the game is stable. And I must say the vanilla is stable; the WotC seems not. So I keep waiting patiently.

Happy Holidays,

Some strategy games definitely work better with a mouse and keyboard (especially the ones where the console port is a bit of an afterthought) but Xcom works fine on console.

Buy the base game. It has some glitches, but nothing game breaking.

WotC is a total mess that will probably never get patched on consoles.

Quote Originally Posted by Boddicker View Post
    Buy the base game. It has some glitches, but nothing game breaking.

WotC is a total mess that will probably never get patched on consoles.
    Thanks indeed. I bought the base game and it's very stable. However it has a game playing inbalance that ruins the Ironman run.
    The Alien Hunter DLC is not balanced on the base game and has been fixed on WotC.

I'm pretty sure they will patch the consoles as well. It took them one year on PS3. Pretty sure it will come eventually.

What I don't understand is that patches don't cost extra fees as it was applicable on XBOX 360 and PS3 back in the days. So there shouldn't be any cost hurdle for them to release it. And technically speaking PS4 and XBox1 are essentially PC inside. There is no crazy cell technology involved that requires a separate codebase.

Hence the delays are very strange...

Quote Originally Posted by chucky.de View Post
    I just feel completly handicapped with a controller. Even just moving the screen with a mouse feels way more comfortable than doing it with a controller.

But to each his own. I just need a mouse and a keyboard. Id never play such a game on a controller.
    Mouse and keyboard are mandatory for FPS and REAL-TIME strategy games, I agree, but not for TURN-BASED strategy games like XCOM. Actually the controls in XCOM 2 on PS4 are perfect, and in my opinion better than with a mouse and keyboard. So it is just an affair of taste in the end.

Also, think about people who don't have the money to buy a good computer. It is much more expensive than a console in the long run.

For OP: XCOM 2 vanilla on consoles is fine. War of the Chosen is terrible. I feel stolen for having paid 40€ for this expansion. I played 3 missions and just stopped. The constant frame-rate drops and visual bugs are unacceptable.

If a patch is really coming on PS4, then there is a good reason for the delay: War of the Chosen is so broken on consoles (maybe because they rushed the release) that they have much more work on their shoulders than for the PC patch. Like, reprogramming everything from scratch.

So there shouldn't be any cost hurdle for them to release it.
    If they need to reprogram stuff, it will take time to do it properly. And if some people are working on this, then their salary is meant to pay for this work and not something that would be more profitable for 2K. So yes, there is a cost hurdle here. But if 2K wishes to respect their customers, they have to do it.

It's really hard to believe they just abandoned the console version, but they did. Now, Jake Solomon is doing PR on Polygon for Nintendo's XCOM rip-off game, most likely Firaxis and/or Solomon was compensated in some way to help market the game.

Quote Originally Posted by houmie View Post
    Thanks indeed. I bought the base game and it's very stable. However it has a game playing inbalance that ruins the Ironman run.
    The Alien Hunter DLC is not balanced on the base game and has been fixed on WotC.
    Not true. The Rulers are balanced, they're just hard. And the way the option to turn them on or off is VERY misleading. If you dont tick the box they come early. This functions like an extra hard mode. I just beat it on commander ironman, but ive been obsessively grinding away at x2 since ps4 release and took many attempts.

I think the Ruler reaction moves are fantastic, and further nuance to the enemy interrupting your turn is something I'd like to see more of. Rulers are definitely an extreme example, but I think its a shame Zerkers lost their interrupt move when they got hit in EU.