Page 199 of 199 FirstFirst ... 99149189197198199
Results 7,921 to 7,925 of 7925

Thread: my H2H running record...

I only have competed in a few player matches against fourm players and they were all years ago. I do decent if I get an average start, I'm just not sure how the greats never seem to get a bad start lol. I don't always have time for what could be a lengthy match with a good player, so maybe that is everyone else's logic too. I do have a small personal goal of cracking the H2H top 10 without using a power civ. I'm currently mid 20s. I got up to 19 before I had a 3 game losing streak consist of me hard freezing once when entering a city screen too fast, a resync that disconnected me, and a freeze that was on the other guys side, but aint no one got time for that. The leaderboard seems very easy to crack right now, I just don't have the patience to climb too quickly.

Just had a fun game vs teamdoja. My rome vs his Russia. My horse army takes 4 pop beijeng but it's at the end of a long peninsula. Researched IW for defense, but I decide to but 2 vet LA + HA + 3 archers on a galley to go surprise attack his flank. Galley is loaded at 1900bc. By the time I round a giant peninsula, my troops finally land near his cities at 0ad. He has AAs everywhere,but at least I made him build that. While doing this he jumps ahead in tech 12-6. He great builds samurai castle and EITC. I go gold and finish filling up the 30% of the map I chocked off. About 800ad I set to demo and am doing 150 beakers per turn. I then switch to gold for my 500g GP. Scientist. Industrialization. It was my first 1st to bonus since IW... Thanks to banked hammers, have Oxford next turn. Set to corp and have in 4 turns. First to... Doing 400g while on all science. He soon quits,and says he took it too easy on me. I'm on a mission to make sure no one takes it easy on me anymore. Lol.

50% of my losses are lost due to being found before defensive units/counters are set up. Zulu warriors, aztec horses, etc.

50% of my losses come from being really lazy in the mid game and forgetting to continue to expand. My new theory is democracy is bad. As soon as I switch I get real lazy and stop expanding. Long games I win tend to be republic all the way.

ugh. Lost both ways today.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike H 31 View Post
    50% of my losses are lost due to being found before defensive units/counters are set up. Zulu warriors, aztec horses, etc.

50% of my losses come from being really lazy in the mid game and forgetting to continue to expand. My new theory is democracy is bad. As soon as I switch I get real lazy and stop expanding. Long games I win tend to be republic all the way.

ugh. Lost both ways today.
    Good points both. Certainly, Republic is arguably the best overall government if one limits oneself to a single government choice for the entire game. Of course, I'm not recommending that per se.

However, I would offer the fundamental issue is probably the mid-game laziness, not democracy per se. Ultimately, you need to have an end goal & the purpose of expansion is to facilitate that end goal, not merely for its own sake.

+50% trade isn't anything to sneeze at & if you have sufficient cities to reach your end goal, it is often quicker to just finish the game vs. continuing to expand. As a rough gauge, if you need more than roughly 10-15 cities (for most civs in average games) in order to win convincingly, you're probably being inefficient/lazy about your end goal(s).

Indicting democracy might be lazy analysis on your part, in other words.

best regards...

i didn't realize you had 50 gold when that barb put you capital to the torch. i actually lost something similar the other day while teching hbr. in my case the barb was 4-5 moves from my cap, not right next door.
    i am never hesitant to keep expanding after democracy. by that time you've unlocked some good resources, and cities are starting at 4-5 pop. regardless of the plan i always like to have a crew or 2 out there claiming islands while i still can.

Page 199 of 199 FirstFirst ... 99149189197198199