Page 1 of 30 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Bioshock2 PC- Does it support 360 gamepad ingame??

Bioshock2 PC- Does it support 360 gamepad ingame??

Please can someone confirm this as according to this page you say it does not support gamepads at all but its not clear if that relates to just the UI/HUD or the entire game.

For people like me who game on a large HDTV connected to my PC using the wireless 360 gamepad it means no gamepad support = no purchase so unless you can confirm I have to cancel my pre-order.

http://www.2kgames.com/cultofrapture...2pcmegafeature

I just cannot believe that you have removed gamepad support as Bioshock1 had a very good experience with the 360 gamepad.

Thank You

Sipping OJ and eating scones with the rest of the Pawns
    They have dropped gamepad support entirely on the PC, to focus on polishing keyboard/mouse controls.

Thumbs down

http://twitter.com/BioShock2

Ok so I see from this recent twitter post your not supporting gamepads at all

Please can someone from 2K explain why your excluding all the players who have to use gamepads like me or even PC players (who I am aware of exist) who cannot even use mouse + kb due to physical disabilities so have to use gamepads!

It seems to me your excluding a lot of players here for no good reason as UT3 engine supports gamepads as did PC Bioshock1. Many highend PC gamers now use massive HDTV's and mouse + kb is just not practical in this scenario.

Thank You

Quote Originally Posted by AWPC View Post
    http://twitter.com/BioShock2

Ok so I see from this recent twitter post your not supporting gamepads at all

Please can someone from 2K explain why your excluding all the players who have to use gamepads like me or even PC players (who I am aware of exist) who cannot even use mouse + kb due to physical disabilities so have to use gamepads!

It seems to me your excluding a lot of players here for no good reason as UT3 engine supports gamepads as did PC Bioshock1. Many highend PC gamers now use massive HDTV's and mouse + kb is just not practical in this scenario.

Thank You
    it might be for balancing Multiplayer, or maybe they really aimed PC version to be played with very balanced mouse controls.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Monolithic View Post
    They have dropped gamepad support entirely on the PC, to focus on polishing keyboard/mouse controls.
    Yeah I just saw that. It excludes a lot of players then as Bioshock1 on PC was amazing on my HDTV you really need a massive screen to get the full atmosphere and a wireless gamepad is essential to this now they hack it out when it was so well implemented in part1. It just seems like a large backwards step to save money as most games use the 360 gamepad as standard now I know of people who will not be able to even buy the PC version due to physical issues they can only game on a gamepad. I know you can get xpadder and configure that (if the DRM lets it run in the background) but it seems like a very poor decision & did 2K even put much thought into this as surely you want the PC version to reach the widest possible userbase when people are continually looking for excuses not to buy it (like they did with the DRM until 2K scaled it back).

Sipping OJ and eating scones with the rest of the Pawns
    Yeah I just saw that. It excludes a lot of players then as Bioshock1 on PC was amazing on my HDTV you really need a massive screen to get the full atmosphere and a wireless gamepad is essential to this now they hack it out when it was so well implemented in part1. It just seems like a large backwards step to save money as most games use the 360 gamepad as standard now I know of people who will not be able to even buy the PC version due to physical issues they can only game on a gamepad. I know you can get xpadder and configure that (if the DRM lets it run in the background) but it seems like a very poor decision & did 2K even put much thought into this as surely you want the PC version to reach the widest possible userbase when people are continually looking for excuses not to buy it (like they did with the DRM until 2K scaled it back).
    Chances are, if a gamer is so dependent on gamepads, they'll have a console.
    If you're sitting in front of the TV and using a gamepad, it's basically the same thing.

There are third-party applications you can use so that Bio2 will be playable with a controller. Try XPadder.

I'm glad that they are focusing on improving the mouse/keyboard support. The last game had terrible mouse control.

=Please can someone from 2K explain why your excluding all the players who have to use gamepads like me or even PC players (who I am aware of exist) who cannot even use mouse + kb due to physical disabilities so have to use gamepads!
    What physical disability could you possibly have that makes keyboard and mouse untenable but makes gamepads preferable?

Wow, unformatted walls of text for the loss.

As I understand it, your kind is a minority. More importantly, gamepads are hardly essential. Most importantly, why would you play BioShock 2 on the PC if not for the vastly superior mouse and keyboard control scheme?

Well that sucks, but oh well. Its not enough to warrant me to cancel my purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by SubliminaParanoia View Post
    Well that sucks, but oh well. Its not enough to warrant me to cancel my purchase.
    It does indeed suck and has changed my mind on buying. I loved Bioshock 1 on PC but use a pad for my 42" HDTV.

If I have to resort to using Pinnacle/Xpadder for any new release in 2010 it now gets relegated to cheap deals as there are plenty of devs giving the option of a pad to gamers in their games to give my money to in the coming months. Indeed thanks to finding out about no pad support this morning BS2 has been demoted from day 1 purchase to a "wait and see", being replaced as my next purchase by the controller enabled AvP coming the week after.

If anyone from 2K reads this is there any chance 2K will see their mistake and release a patch for those who use the standard windows controller? I was really looking forward to this but I am really gutted by this strange decision. I have been told you listen to your consumers 2K, so I would ask you please can you put controller support back in.

Pretty much kills the game for me. I play the majority of PC games on my HDTV with a 360 controller.

First off, the pervious game supported both control systems just fine. Obviously if you're going into multiplayer you know you'll be at a disadvantage with a controller - so what? You have the choice.

Secondly, it's a Games for Windows title. They are *supposed* to support the 360 pad. I really don't know the point of GFW branding is if you can't expect a minimum of features to come with the branding, that's the entire bloody point of having a standardized brand.

I have a 360. So why do I want to play this on the PC as opposed to the 360 when they're using the same control method? Simple:

- 1080p graphics support. Better quality overall (AA+ aniso filtering + better textures)
    - 60fps constant, instead of 30 or lower, plus no tearing with force triple buffering.
    - It's cheaper.
    - Potential for mods.
    - I want to support the more open platform.

Xpadder & Pinnacle Micro are not adequate substitutes, they have numerous problems including:

- No on-screen button notifications.
    - No analog movement. Forget slowing creeping around a corner, it will be walk or run.
    - No force feedback.
    - Game expects mouse, so no slight aim assistance, making it harder than it has to be.

They're a hack, plain and simple. The game needs to support the controller for it to really be viable.

This really, really sucks. We may be a minority, but if you keep relegating the PC to a small monitor on a desk, then you can't wonder why consoles are taking over. Especially if you have friends over who are used to controlling FPS's with a joypad - make no mistake folks, the next generation is being weaned on them and mouse/keyboard are going to be come more and more alien to gamers whether you like it or not.

A 40 " + TV with surround just provides a far more immerse experience, and it was glorious on Bioshock 1. This is a big step backwards.
    Last edited by Regional Coffee; 02-01-2010 at 04:39 AM.

Add me to the list of those CRUSHED to learn that controller support has been dropped (I just listened to podcast episode 10 now) for BioShock 2. From what I've read, BioShock had the best support of any GFW game (I played it on the 360, and after my 4th RROD I'd prefer not to get another 360; also, I refuse to get a PS3 either because DualShock3 is not very comfortable. Other than that there are very legitimate scenarios where controller support is more than what 2K makes it out to be, e.g. a personal example: I have RSI/early stage carpal tunnel, where mousing is not ideal

I would send an email to 2KElizabeth@2KGames.com to ask if there's any chance that 2K would throw in 360 controller support in a later patch, just like any good GFW title. I encourage you to do the same too - we need community support to tell 2K that next to DRM (which frankly, we all lived through in the first game), dropping controller support as a decision was not made in the interest of the greater gaming community.
    Last edited by sadrosie; 02-04-2010 at 06:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Crezth View Post
    Most importantly, why would you play BioShock 2 on the PC if not for the vastly superior mouse and keyboard control scheme?
    Yeah that's the single best thing about pc gaming and considering all the "issues" with the pc version you may as well just play it on a console if you're going to use a gamepad.

Have to say im very frustrated too. I just built a brand new computer and bought a 52" tv just for bioshock 2.

I have a 360 but if you have a good enough computer, there's a night and day difference with the higher res textures, 60fps, ect. I also need a computer to be able to ghost and take screen shots, which adds another whole dimension to the game. The keyboard and mouse don't cut it for me, i hate them. I would think that bio 1 and 2 are so similar engine wise, that it couldn't be too hard to put in controller support.

Ill still get it for both hoping they release a patch in the future. Come on 2k don't let us down.

Well, I get your guys point on the graphical advance PC has over consoles but I don't see why you can't get accustomed to keyboard/mouse. I mean I would definetly use them rather than a pad when plaing an FPS.

If you can have the financial comfort of getting a top-notch-PC and a 52" TV then surely you can get a sweet table set up to your sofa, or lounger or wherever you sit your ass down when you play.
    But still yeah, a gamepad definetly makes gaming more comfortable.
    Anyway, a control issue shouldn't ruin your game experience, or affect your decision of whether or not to get the game.
    You gotta make compromises in life!

Quote Originally Posted by ADAMButterBiscuit View Post
    Well, I get your guys point on the graphical advance PC has over consoles but I don't see why you can't get accustomed to keyboard/mouse. I mean I would definetly use them rather than a pad when plaing an FPS.
    It's not about getting "accustomed" to keyboard/mouse, myself and many others who are likely complaining about this have no problem using keyboard/mouse, the problem is that that control setup is very cumbersome for playing on a large HDTV.
    If you can have the financial comfort of getting a top-notch-PC and a 52" TV then surely you can get a sweet table set up to your sofa, or lounger or wherever you sit your ass down when you play.
    It's not remotely the same. You can't lounge back with a cumbersome setup like that. Plus I like force feedback.

The PC is a great platform because of options. When I want more accurate control I'll sit at my desk with a monitor. When I want to relax and enjoy the story I'll play it on my large TV in a recliner. Consoles can't give you those options.

No one is saying mouse and keyboard should be taken away at the expense of gamepads, but to remove a feature that existed in the previous game and one that is become more popular at this point is just stupid.
    Anyway, a control issue shouldn't ruin your game experience, or affect your decision of whether or not to get the game.
    The primary method of interaction with the game shouldn't affect your game experience...what?!

Keep it coming guys maybe 2K will listen as if someone can add 360 gamepad support for Mass Effect via a few ini tweaks perhaps 2K can patch it as many PC gamers like us either use a HDTV for the amazing real estate & immersion factor or prefer wireless gamepads especially when its just another mutiplatform game design.

It's not like this is a PC specific RTS where mouse+kb rule is it!

You can download the pdf manual here from steam to get your xpadder profile ready for the game tomorrow!

http://store.steampowered.com/manual/8859/

Quote Originally Posted by ADAMButterBiscuit View Post
    You gotta make compromises in life!
    2K are making the compromise here on our behalf without giving it any thought whatsoever. The UT3 game engine has native 360 gamepad support whoever made the decision to drop gamepad support & focus on mouse+kb made a very poor decision as more & more PC gamers choose to use their HDTV's for PC gaming as the difference is night & day over 24" or smaller monitors.

Then you have the comfort factor. I can kick back sitting in a really nice comfy chair gaming on my HDTV via my PC for hours with a wireless gamepad & get no fatigue whatsoever vs how long can you go with mouse+kb before getting a bit cramped or uncomfortable?

It seems incredible to think that someone actually thought it would be a good decision to spend time/money on totally dropping gamepad support when more & more PC games use this as its a 21st century control interface & almost every PC game is using the same controls as the console version nowadays as its a mutliplatform game design.

For RTS yes mouse+kb rule but for many other modern game designs gamepads are better for many PC gamers.

Why do we have to have 1 but not the other??

For RTS yes mouse+kb rule but for many other modern game designs gamepads are better for many PC gamers.
    There's no competition between gamepads and mouse/keyboards when it comes to FPS. Even most console gamers admit that.

Quote Originally Posted by Rapture_Reminder View Post
    There's no competition between gamepads and mouse/keyboards when it comes to FPS. Even most console gamers admit that.
    You keep ignoring the point that no one here is debating that a mouse and keyboard is a more responsive mechanism for controlling an FPS, the issue is comfort and being able to utilize a huge display properly.

I don't expect to play well in multiplayer or an RTS in single player with a gamepad, so I wouldn't. However I'm willing to sacrifice precise control and some responsiveness in a single player game in order to utilize my HDTV and sit back and enjoy the story. That's my choice, that's what's great about the PC.

You can shout all you want about how mouse & keyboard is "superior", the non-aspies amongst us won't care, we're not playing these games to train for a clan for pete's sake. Keep on restricting the PC to the den in a largely single-player format and don't be surprised to see the platform further marginalized. Even if you don't care to play with a gamepad, if you want the PC as a gaming platform to flourish you should champion its adaptability and not guard a control restriction as if it's a benefit.

From ARSTechnica's review:

We reviewed the game on the Xbox 360, and while we can't wait to play on the PC for the improved graphical clarity, the use of force feedback added a great deal to the feeling of isolation and danger. The thuds, the clangs, and the bass you get from being in the underwater environment of Rapture will be absent for those playing with a mouse and a keyboard, and the experience will be slightly poorer for it.
    ...yet another reason to lament the lack of support for the 360 controller.

+1 from me for gamepad support.

I bought the special pc edition for playing on my Sony 40" TV. I hope they will be adding Gamepad support for our home cinema players

This would be great. Anybody at 2K Games.... Please Please Please implement proper Gamepad support like in Bioshock 1

Thanks for hearing me.

thought i'd throw in that while i was not disappointed to find they're taking away the ability to use a 360 controller on the pc version, my husband was.

like many other who have commented on this thread, my awesome nerd husband set up his pc to be our complete entertainment system: amazing 5.1 surround sound, 42" lcd tv, blu-tooth mouse and keyboard. playing bioshock 1 on this system was an absolute dream. i used the keyboard without much problem. just this last week he built another computer with pretty awesome specs, which had me anticipating playing bioshock 2 that much more.

i asked him if he'd be using the keyboard/mouse combo or his 360 controller, and he said 360 controller without hesitation. keyboard/mouse might allow for better control, but it can be a bit cumbersome to say the least. i'd say it takes longer to "learn" where your controls are, too.

a minor point, but in order to have a decent go with the mouse you have to have it take up an entire couch cushion and keep the keyboard on your lap (no, you can't sit 7-inches from a 42" screen and use a desk set-up).

like i said, i planned on using the keyboard anyways, but i think people are missing out on pc-game experiences because they think it means keyboards and 18" monitors and lagging graphics. a computer set up can afford you a much better experience

I just preorded but this makes me really sad.

In the original Bioshock on PC, I used the gamepad because then I was able to creep around slowly at a pace I wanted, rather than just run fast or walk with the keyboard. Also looking around at the fantastic stages was excellent with the precision and smoothness of the analog stick. Be it true that aiming and fighting was easier with the keyboard and mouse, but the single player experience was not just fighting.

Not going to cancel my preload but the immersion factor will be greatly hurt with this decision.

+1 for 360 gamepad support.

Quote Originally Posted by Regional Coffee View Post
    You keep ignoring the point that no one here is debating that a mouse and keyboard is a more responsive mechanism for controlling an FPS, the issue is comfort and being able to utilize a huge display properly.

I don't expect to play well in multiplayer or an RTS in single player with a gamepad, so I wouldn't. However I'm willing to sacrifice precise control and some responsiveness in a single player game in order to utilize my HDTV and sit back and enjoy the story. That's my choice, that's what's great about the PC.

You can shout all you want about how mouse & keyboard is "superior", the non-aspies amongst us won't care, we're not playing these games to train for a clan for pete's sake. Keep on restricting the PC to the den in a largely single-player format and don't be surprised to see the platform further marginalized. Even if you don't care to play with a gamepad, if you want the PC as a gaming platform to flourish you should champion its adaptability and not guard a control restriction as if it's a benefit.
    For a HDTV yes, but the quote was referring to PC gaming in general.

Alright, alright. Now im on your guys side. You make a good point there and I wish that you could have the option to use a gaming controller on the PC.
    And its weird that they didn't include that possibility for a 360 gamepad when the game itself requires GFWL on the PC Whats up with that?

Perhaps 2K will re-evaluate their decision on this matter. Maybe it could be solved with a patch.

2K please us back 360 controller support!

I will be playing in beautiful 2560x1600 high antialiasing dx10 or in 3D vision at 1080p!

This experience is 10x better than console system.

But we must have controller support!
    Smooth analog motion is excellent.
    Motion feedback is brilliant in this game.

PC gaming is about choice.
    The code is already there. Please give us access to it and allow controllers!
    Please patch.

baragon
    Last edited by baragon; 02-08-2010 at 11:07 AM.

Wut? Aren't all GFW titles forced to implement 360 pad support?

Quote Originally Posted by wuut View Post
    Wut? Aren't all GFW titles forced to implement 360 pad support?
    That's what I thought. But looking at their site now, I suppose they aren't. Is Bio2 the first game not to use a 360 controller?

That's what I thought. But looking at their site now, I suppose they aren't. Is Bio2 the first game not to use a 360 controller?
    Pretty sure it will be, yeah. Although I'm fairly sure it will actually include pad support if it's a GFW title.

Controller allows a smooth creeping analog motion that is great for exploring the areas of rapture! It makes the experience much more cinematic for the first person campaign.
    At least give us option to enable controller in User.ini file!
    Please!

Microsoft should enforce this requirement for games for windows.
    More people are playing on big screen high def tvs from easy chair.

baragon

GFW or GFWL titles are only forced to support the 360 gamepad if they include any gamepad support so as Bioshock2 does not it still meets the certification rules for GFW(L) titles.

Publishers/Developers can now self-certify their own GFW(L) titles anyway MS are not longer involved only in the marketing & if it supports GFWL then obviously MS have to test Achievements & MP & make their servers include the title etc etc.

http://www.microsoft.com/games/en-us...ublishers.aspx

No 360 pad support that sucks.

The Quantum of Solace game on PC was GfWL, but had no gamepad support at all.

No Gamepad Support SUCKS

I was so exited about this game.
    I almost preordered it, but i found out, that it don´t support the 360 gamepad.

Good that i found this out before i bought the game!

So, no money from me for 2K Games :P

There are so many other good games that i can play on my awesome HDTV Couch setup

If they patch 360 gamepad support in, i will buy.

I'm lazy and I like to play from the comforts of my bed from time to time. Doesn't work to well with mouse and keyboard. And last time I checked, 360 gamepad support was mandatory for Windows LIVE games. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Un-****ing-believable.. I can't believe I wasted my money on this, wasted my time trying to get the god damn gamepad working (references to joystick and gamepad are all over the place in the inis). Do they realize what its like to play a fps on a god damn laptop?

better yet.. a god damn laptop connected to a HDTV. Wow.. This is fixable.. Especially since its a neutered feature and not a bug. Bug would've been much better. Whats worse, the GFW junk works with the gamepad in Bioshock2.. just the GFW menu.. Awesome. Its not like we're asking for braile support, ****ers.

edit: Just an update.. This still sucks. I don't even want to play the ****ing game. ****ing touchpad mouse is going to give me gimpy tard hands. I see myself, two weeks from now, sitting back on the bed.. breakfast-in-bed style table with a mouse and ****ing keyboard a la bluetooth - pitiful. I won't. I refuse.

another thing.. pre-ordering sucks ass. Last time I jump into the early adopter piss-pool.
    Last edited by Blades; 02-08-2010 at 10:24 PM.

no 360 pad support, dam that sucks
    +1 for gamepad support

this is a major let down for me as i was really hoping to play wiht my pad

ohh well looks like money is going to AvP now then

Pretty miffed about this too. I have a good rig which will run BioShock 2 no hassle. Was looking forward to sitting on my bed in comfort and playing on the 40" (That's how I played the first when I had the 360). I play plenty of games with mouse and keyboard but this one I wanted to play on the big screen. Being relegated to 4:3 on the 17" has ruined the hype a bit. This plus the Steam pre-load antics (or lack there of) has let me down.

Still pumped all the same.

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Blades View Post
    I see myself, two weeks from now, sitting back on the bed.. breakfast-in-bed style table with a mouse and ****ing keyboard
    That's not actually a bad Idea.
    Last edited by kylehimself; 02-08-2010 at 10:59 PM.

+1 more to,needs 360controller support, got bio 1 from steam,about to buy bio2 then noticed this holding off now will only buy if 360pad option is added,come on 2k use common sence

Page 1 of 30 12311 ... LastLast