Thread: Big Daddy footsteps

Big Daddy footsteps

I just watched one of the latest videos of Bioshock 2...am I going to have to listen to those thunderous (Big Daddy) footsteps throughout the entire game?!

Can we at least have a volume control?

JR

Are you kidding? That practically makes the atmosphere. They add so much suspense, just waiting for the moment to sprint around a corner only to smack a Little Sister in the face with your dong and the Big Daddy gets angry. Sounds great to me.

There not nearly as loud as in the first game.

I'm not a fan of the BD footsteps either.

Smile

clink, thump, clink, thump... They make you feel like your a tank. Some people might not like that, so hopefully they will add in a volume control in for that.

but thats part of the experience of being a big daddy, I mean it would be kinda wierd to play the worlds most quiet big daddy.
    besides i like the idea of the footsteps because ill be like,
    thump thump " yeah thats right you know ima comin for you, you darn splicers" muahahahaha

Then the little sister jumps on your back and stabs her needle through your eye. Won't that be interesting.

they sound less annoying than the first one and they had to include it in you are playing as a Big Daddy so you need to look like and sound like one

The player footsteps were a huge issue for me. Clearly, the sound of the Big Daddy footsteps was part of what made the character so iconic. It was one of the things that really sold to the player how hard it would be to take down these creatures in a fight.

When we put the player in Bio 2 into a BD suit, part of what was going to sell the player on the fact the they are a 'real' BD was the footsteps. At the same time, however, we couldn't have the player clomping around loudly during the whole game because it would get extremely annoying after a while. There was a constant back and forth as to how loud and how distinct the "player daddy's" footsteps would be.

What we ended up with I think works well enough to sell you on how big you are supposed to be, but is something is not so oversold to be an annoyance to the player. In the end, like most video game player footsteps, they just end up fading into the background of your playing experience.

As for the npc Big Daddy footsteps in Bio 2, they also got a bit of a makeover to coincide with the change of who the player is in the world of Rapture.

Quote Originally Posted by 2K_mkamper View Post
    What we ended up with I think works well enough to sell you on how big you are supposed to be, but is something is not so oversold to be an annoyance to the player. In the end, like most video game player footsteps, they just end up fading into the background of your playing experience.
    I was thinking that. They just fade in your experience, just like those things in the corner of your vision will. I mean, I already didn't noticed them in the gameplay...

If nothing else, Wrench Lurker might return in some form.

I'm usually concentrating on something other than the footstep noises when I play video games... But some games really get it right, and I notice it. Mario Galaxy had really great footstep noises...

Wow, I'm a dork.

I realy dont think you will have to listen to this in single play maybe a little thump to remind you that your a big metal brute but yea if so like you had to heard in bioshock 1 when you become a big daddy that would be realy realy annoying but i can always live with it but in mutiplayer when you become a big daddy i bet they will bring the volume up on those because you only are it until you die.

I thought the footsteps in the first game were more distractng than this. Why do tiny things like seeing the corners of the helmets on the very edge of the screen annoy so many people?

Davidthebrave1 a ture gamer gets buged by the little stuff like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 2K_mkamper View Post
    As for the npc Big Daddy footsteps in Bio 2, they also got a bit of a makeover to coincide with the change of who the player is in the world of Rapture.
    Thanks for the detailed internal information mkamper...I will try to ignore the BD footsteps and let them "fade into my experience" when I play the B2 demo.

JR

Quote Originally Posted by Shap3sh1ft3r View Post
    Davidthebrave1 a ture gamer gets buged by the little stuff like this.
    A "True" gamer does not let little, hard to notice things ruin their experience.

I'm almost positive that there will be an option to turn that off and on, 2K usually thinks of everything imaginable.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidtheBrave1 View Post
    A "True" gamer does not let little, hard to notice things ruin their experience.
    If there were a +win function, you'd be the proud owner of a steaming bowl of winmeal. Like oatmeal, but with more win

*Spoilers* At the end of Bioshock 1 you got to play as big daddy and the footsteps were LOUD. But you didn't really notice them after a while. *End Spoilers*

You can disable the helmet HUD I think, judging from the PC screens.