Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has widescreen been fixed (PC)?

Has widescreen been fixed (PC)?

I'm 16:10.

As listed in the patch notes...

Fixed an issue where the resolution would change on its own if entering gameplay in a 16:10 resolution on a native 16:10 monitor.

That doesn't sound like the FoV fix I've been hoping for, which is why I ask.

Ah yeah, FoV hasn't been fixed yet. Guess I'll still be waiting!

Not yet. I hope they get that patch done quickly enough and that MS doesn't take its sweet time certifying it.

Please note the FOV will not change from 75, and we do not plan to change it.

Basically 2K will make it look like BioShock 1 with the patch which was good.

they made the fov the same for 16:9 post patch, but gave a smaller FOV for the 16:10 and 4:3 folks.

Why? I have no idea. Likely because these people don't have a pulse on their clients.

some more info and fixes that I'm still checking out:
    http://www.widescreengamingforum.com...p?f=31&t=18374

Quote Originally Posted by Tech Kris View Post
    May I ask why this is thought to be acceptable? I thought everyone complained about this in BS1 and it was a big ordeal as well.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/genme...topic=53439425

I've verified this fix does work and seems to be generally acceptable, I only played for a minute but it seems fine.

Edit: I apologize, similar but not as bad as borderlands (which is amazingly still not fixed) which had this issue, zooming messes it up.

Go to C:\Users\???\AppData\Roaming\Bioshock2 ( for vista, something similar for other OS.

Look for the user.ini file and search for "W=MoveForward" and change it to W=MoveForward|SetFOV 100" (or replace 100 with whatever you find to be most comfortable. not 100% perfect, but pretty close.
    Last edited by grinomyte; 02-14-2010 at 04:45 PM.

Widescreen doesn't appear fixed for me. I'm 16:10 at a resolution of 1680 x 1050 and the real estate I get on screen is less than a 4:3 or 5:4 aspect ratio. In fact, pre patch I could just about see my helmet HUD in the extreme corners. After the patch, those tiny bits vanished altogether, the screen image appeared to get closer still and all those horrible jaggies just looked worse!

If I select 1280 x 1024 resolution, whilst looking terrible in terms of texture and jaggies, the helmet HUD looks good and I see more of the game world.

I can't understand it.

I thought widescreen was the norm these days? Can you still buy a 4:3, 5:4 screen, monitor or televison!!

Quote Originally Posted by grinomyte View Post
    Look for the user.ini file and search for "W=MoveForward" and change it to W=MoveForward|SetFOV 100" (or replace 100 with whatever you find to be most comfortable. not 100% perfect, but pretty close.
    Have not tried this method yet but surely that would only change the FOV when you walk forward. If you walk backwards does the FOV stick or does it revert back to 75?

Are you an "official voice" from 2K?
    Are you sure that you do not want to change FOV from 75 also on widescreen 16:10?

May I ask you why please?
    Thanks.

Have not tried this method yet but surely that would only change the FOV when you walk forward. If you walk backwards does the FOV stick or does it revert back to 75?
    at the moment I'm using FOV 84 for a 16:10 resolution with this tricks, it doesn't revert when I walk backwards.

What, why? Have you not been to the "Widescreen is fudged.... AGAIN!!!" topic to see how many people want this? Have you not seen how many people get nausea/motion sickness from playing widescreen in a 4:3 FoV? Do you not care about your customers at all?

Last time I buy a 2k game. This is absolute crap customer support.

Quote Originally Posted by cipher86 View Post
    What, why? Have you not been to the "Widescreen is fudged.... AGAIN!!!" topic to see how many people want this? Have you not seen how many people get nausea/motion sickness from playing widescreen in a 4:3 FoV? Do you not care about your customers at all?

Last time I buy a 2k game. This is absolute crap customer support.
    A crappy customer support is a support that doesn't answer his customers or that doesn't listen the complains of his customers.
    This customers support is really good and it works well since Bioshock 1.

It will be a real kindness if someone from tech support can explain us why about this decision.

This is deplorable. Are you an official representative of this company?

I own a widescreen monitor and play in 16:10. Do you mean to tell me that I cannot play this game in an acceptable FOV that doesn't make my eyes bleed? What kind of support is this? And why are we going through this all over again? It's the same old story with Bioshock all over again. Why isn't this company keeping up with the trends of the market?

Who can I write a complain to get things moving to provide us with an acceptable solution to this shortcoming? I waited patiently for a fix the last few days and I don't see it coming, why did I buy this game again?
    Last edited by SeriousJay; 02-14-2010 at 10:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sblantipodi View Post
    A crappy customer support is a support that doesn't answer his customers or that doesn't listen the complains of his customers.
    My point exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by cipher86 View Post
    My point exactly.
    they must have a reason if they decided to not change FOV and I would like to know this reason.

have to give it to 2K and MS for releasing this patch quickly, I figured we would have to wait weeks before MS approved it.

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com...183993#p183993

For those in need. I'll have to try it tonight.

I'll wait a tech answer to this problem.
    Why you don't want to fix this issue with an official patch?

Have you actually tried it?

The FOV resets to ULTRA LOW/STUPID 75 in wide after zooming (and probably a few other things) it doesn't change just by walking backwards/sideways.

The reason it's bound to the WALK key is to save the fuss of pressing a seperate key AFTER the FOV resets, that's all. It could equally have been bound to the back key or left/right but in general I Guess more people tend to walk forward than back.. it's really irrelevent which key it was bound to so long as it's one you commonly use that saves you moving your fingers over to.. for example 'num pad 0' to set the FOV to your comfortable custom 'hacked' FOV.

That's the only reason it's on W, to save time as your hands always hover over WASD anyway.

And of course it's not a 'fix' it's a workaround that has to do (even though it doesn't fix the drill/hand positioning) until 2k fix it properly and elgantly inline with 'most' other PC games on the market that take their customers seriously.

No offence man, but that feels like a big "FU" to your customers. Its like "oh yeah we'll fix one problem with widescreen support, but we won't fix the major complaint that is making some of our customers ill and makes the game totally unplayable to others without a work around". Ignoring how ugly a FOV of 75 looks at my resolution (5040x1050) even at a more normal res (1680x1050) the game looks horrible at 75 and I simply can't play it like that. The fact that I am FORCED to use a work around to make the game playable is not something I consider a good thing and does NOT make me want to buy anymore games from your company. I appreciate that you techs and Elizabeth are on the forums providing help and giving updates, but this is total crap. Its blatantly ignoring the demands of your customers.

No, actually, i originally bound it to "G" just to test it and it worked . It works constantly but fails when you utilize zoom and then it reverts back to 75. Binding it to W makes it a near non issue, just an issue in those moments standing still after zooming.

Quote Originally Posted by greylantern View Post
    The FOV resets to ULTRA LOW/STUPID 75 in wide after zooming (and probably a few other things) it doesn't change just by walking backwards/sideways.
    Oh thank you, your explanation was more thorough, I just missed it. Basically it works fine, minus the noted hud issues.

Can this command (SetFOV 100) be used in the console? How do I activate the console? I want to experiment a little with this and I don't want exit the game and edit the user.ini file every time.

i haven't been able to get a console up, but i wasn't really looking. a workaround would be to look for the bindings involving your numpad.

you can do something like this

NumPad0=SetFOV 75
    NumPad1=SetFOV 80
    NumPad2=SetFOV 85
    NumPad3=SetFOV 90

etc etc, until you find the one you like, then just fix it permanently.

Quote Originally Posted by grinomyte View Post
    i haven't been able to get a console up, but i wasn't really looking. a workaround would be to look for the bindings involving your numpad.

you can do something like this

NumPad0=SetFOV 75
    NumPad1=SetFOV 80
    NumPad2=SetFOV 85
    NumPad3=SetFOV 90

etc etc, until you find the one you like, then just fix it permanently.
    Ok, I'm going to try that. Thanks for the suggestion.

[QUOTE=grinomyte;654400][url]
    Go to C:\Users\???\AppData\Roaming\Bioshock2 ( for vista, something similar for other OS.
    QUOTE]

If you just could tell us what the "???" is, it would be a great help. Cus I can't find it .

Click on Start > Start search and type in

%appdata%

It will take you to the correct appdata folder.

??? stands for the name of your computer, i suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by joker0222 View Post
    ??? stands for the name of your computer, i suppose.
    that is correct, it's grinomyte for me, tech jamie is also correct, probably the easiest way to find it.

I SHOULD have noted that the folder may be hidden and might have to be unhid via folder options.

is there someone who understood why 2K don't want to release a patch to fix fov?

Quote Originally Posted by sblantipodi View Post
    is there someone who understood why 2K don't want to release a patch to fix fov?
    Because they think that FOV 75 is good, it doesn't need to be fixed.

I hope this is a joke, seriously. I have yet to play this game because I'm waiting for the fov fix. If they can do it for Bioshock 1, then there's no reason why it cannot be done for Bioshock 2. It's not asking a lot to have this implemented in the game. As it shouldn't have been an issue in the first place. They have even said on cult of rapture that they are going to fix it, so to now turn around and say they won't would be a proper disgrace.

You understood them incorrectly. They said they are going to fix it, so that FOV for widescreen will be HOR+, compared to FOV for fullscreen, but it will stay at 75.

So does that manual FOV thing fix the disgusting pixel graphics? I'm a widescreen user, and I'm so pissed right now. Having bought the special edition for $80, I have yet to even play the first level because of how horrible it looks. This isn't a slap in the face. It's a kick in the balls, and a broomstick up the ass...at minimum.
    Last edited by GravityEyelids; 02-15-2010 at 05:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GravityEyelids View Post
    So does that manual FOV thing fix the disgusting pixel graphics? I'm a widescreen user, and I'm so pissed right now. Having bought the special edition for $80, I have yet to even play the first level because of how horrible it looks. This isn't a slap in the face. It's a kick in the balls, and a broomstick up the ass...at minimum.
    Did you try forcing AA? What is your OS and graphics card?

This is ridiculous

The FOV _does_ need to be fixed. I just got the game and started playing it; when GFWL forced an update, i presumed this was the patch including the FOV fix.

So, therefore I couldn't understand that after 1/2 hour play, my eyes are tired. So I do a Google and, yep, sure enough, the FOV is still narrow. For some of us, this has the effect of having your face forced up against the monitor.

Please please fix this.

P.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast