Thread: How-to: back up your offline profile save game data

Post How-to: back up your offline profile save game data

Having recently been through the horrifying experience of nearly losing all of my saved progress in BioShock 2 using my offline profile, I thought I'd share what is necessary to successfully back up and restore your offline profile (using Games for Windows Live / GFWL / XLive in offline mode).

This guide assumes you have a familiar understanding of directory paths and that you are comfortable copying files around on your own computer. You don't need to be a computer expert, but you will need some advanced familiarity with Windows.

Warning: without a backup of your existing GFWL offline profile, there is no way to restore your offline saved game progress. If you didn't make a backup or otherwise have no way of obtaining one, you are out of luck. Don't ask me for help, I won't be able to help you.

What to back up:
    1. %LocalAppData%\Microsoft\XLive
    2. My Documents\Bioshock2

What's key here is the data in the local AppData Microsoft\XLive path. These files contain your unique offline profile ID. Your saved games are encoded with this ID so that when you are logged in with an offline profile in BioShock 2, only saved games encoded with your ID will appear and thus be available for loading.

Without all of these files, the saved game data will not appear in BioShock 2. It is also impossible at this time to decode the saved game data and re-encode it with a new GFWL offline profile ID. Sorry if you don't have a backup of your XLive profiles, but you are just plain out of luck and need to start over if you don't have a backup.

Feel free to post here or PM me with questions and I will try to answer them as I can (although the post above tells you just about everything I can anyway). I won't be able to assist you with backing up or restoring data (I have better things to do), but if you think you've found a way to crack the encoding of the saved game data that pairs with the XLive ID, let me know the technical details and I'll write a program that does it automatically for the benefit of this community.

Good luck!

I've created a utility that you can use to backup and restore your saved games (only works for offline profiles, that I'm aware of). In addition, it can be used to delete corrupt saved games (an occasional error that pops up when playing and trying to view the saved games).

http://www.PeterSouza.com/BioShock_2..._Utilities.zip

Feedback appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by psouza4 View Post
    I've created a utility that you can use to backup and restore your saved games (only works for offline profiles, that I'm aware of). In addition, it can be used to delete corrupt saved games (an occasional error that pops up when playing and trying to view the saved games).

Feedback appreciated.
    Good, many thanks!

What to back up:
    1. %LocalAppData%\Microsoft\XLive
    2. My Documents\Bioshock2

...snip...

Without all of these files, the saved game data will not appear in BioShock 2. It is also impossible at this time to decode the saved game data and re-encode it with a new GFWL offline profile ID. Sorry if you don't have a backup of your XLive profiles, but you are just plain out of luck and need to start over if you don't have a backup.
    Even if you haven't made a backup yourself, your system might possibly be keeping a record of previous versions. Right-click on the folder and select Properties and (if you have one) select the Previous Versions tab. Copy out the previous version you think may be correct.

I haven't been able to verify this because I wasn't aware of the hidden folder and was too late. So before making any changes to these folders, MAKE A BACKUP FIRST!

Good luck - your gonna need it.

Feedback appreciated.
    I can't seem to get this to work. Where exactly do I point it?

Thanks

What part can't you get working?

It will make a backup of your existing saved games (and then save that backup to a place of your choosing). Then, you can restore that backup file by loading it through this same utility.

Thanks for the utility, let me get this straight.

I run WFGL profile and save my progress.

Like most PC versions of Bioshock 2 you eventually have a bug that either stops you from playing or destroys your save games.

If you ran your utility prior to one of the 245,021 known bugs, simply reinstall Bioshock 2 and select the restore command from your GUI?

I am just making sure this is all there is to it, my game crashes after Dionysus 100% of the time and cannot progress any further, if i run your utility i should theoretically be able to reinstall the game and restore from your tool and continue my progress?

Thumbs up

Thanks, I needed this. You are awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by rstrik View Post
    Thanks for the utility, let me get this straight.

I run WFGL profile and save my progress.

Like most PC versions of Bioshock 2 you eventually have a bug that either stops you from playing or destroys your save games.

If you ran your utility prior to one of the 245,021 known bugs, simply reinstall Bioshock 2 and select the restore command from your GUI?

I am just making sure this is all there is to it, my game crashes after Dionysus 100% of the time and cannot progress any further, if i run your utility i should theoretically be able to reinstall the game and restore from your tool and continue my progress?
    My utility creates a snapshot of your saved games. Basically, it's a saved game of your saved games. It can be restored immediately... after a game-ending bug... after re-installing Windows, etc. by also using this utility.

Also, it has a feature that can delete files that are 0-bytes. For whatever reason, sometimes BioShock 2 wants to save 0-byte saved games and thus corrupts the load screen. This will fix some, but not all of the corrupt game issues.

Would this fix my problem? (My game continously creates corrupted saved files, over and over again, offline/online.

Yes it will -- click the button to remove corrupt saves (it will detect, but skip valid saved games).

This - and also the info for online profile saved game backup - is invaluable.

This should have been technical information included with the game, so kudos on putting this together!

This should be stickied in this forum.

Thanks, but I am under the suspicion that the folks who need this information will come by it too late in the process and be out of luck. I have another thread around here somewhere with a link to my saved game progress for people who are in fact out of luck and need someone else's saved game to finish playing.

Thanks, but I am under the suspicion that the folks who need this information will come by it too late in the process and be out of luck. I have another thread around here somewhere with a link to my saved game progress for people who are in fact out of luck and need someone else's saved game to finish playing.
    Hey man, just used your app before installing windows 7. Saved me grief, thank you very much.

Hello.
    I was looking to backup my save game folder for Bioshock2 today and i found this forum.
    Before downloading your utility, i passed your link through virustotal the results can be seen here
    http://www.virustotal.com/file-scan/...eb8-1302647238

Basically virus total got two positive hits for viruses within your zip file.
    Care to explain why virustotal thinks your app contains a virus?

Needless to say i did not download the app, and instead plan on backing up manually.

It would have been nice to try out your app, mainly to try out the restore feature.

Hello.
    I was looking to backup my save game folder for Bioshock2 today and i found this forum.
    Before downloading your utility, i passed your link through virustotal the results can be seen here
    http://www.virustotal.com/file-scan/...eb8-1302647238

Basically virus total got two positive hits for viruses within your zip file.
    Care to explain why virustotal thinks your app contains a virus?

Needless to say i did not download the app, and instead plan on backing up manually.

It would have been nice to try out your app, mainly to try out the restore feature.
    Hi interested -- I appreciate your feedback and you are wise to double check your sources before trusting applications from the internet.

I have a few things to say here: the first is the application does not have any viruses in it, not on my system and not at the hosted site (which is an in-house server). Two detections are noted with VirusTotal, the first is with Ionic.Zip.dll which is an open .NET library I use to archive and de-archive your backup. You can see other reports of false-positives with this library here: http://wyday.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=221 . This one is tripping eSafe with the 'Virus in password protected archive' alert (which is bogus anyway because the download is not password protected to begin with).

The other is also a false positive, generic from Symantec who is known to label unknown libraries or executables with 'WS.Reputation.1' whenever they don't recognize a software vendor (that's the short version). You can google around for more details if you like.

If you're a .NET developer (or simply have access to Visual Studio 2008 or above), you're welcome to the source code, which you can compile yourself --- or --- you can just use my manual instructions I provided.

Best regards,
    -Pete

Hi interested -- I appreciate your feedback and you are wise to double check your sources before trusting applications from the internet.

I have a few things to say here: the first is the application does not have any viruses in it, not on my system and not at the hosted site (which is an in-house server). Two detections are noted with VirusTotal, the first is with Ionic.Zip.dll which is an open .NET library I use to archive and de-archive your backup. You can see other reports of false-positives with this library here: http://wyday.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=221 . This one is tripping eSafe with the 'Virus in password protected archive' alert (which is bogus anyway because the download is not password protected to begin with).

The other is also a false positive, generic from Symantec who is known to label unknown libraries or executables with 'WS.Reputation.1' whenever they don't recognize a software vendor (that's the short version). You can google around for more details if you like.

If you're a .NET developer (or simply have access to Visual Studio 2008 or above), you're welcome to the source code, which you can compile yourself --- or --- you can just use my manual instructions I provided.

Best regards,
    -Pete
    Pete
    Thanks for the quick response.
    I was worried that you did not see my post since it does not appear to be posted here in the forum for some reason.

It does appear as if those are two false positives within virustotal.

I make it a habbit of passing all my download links through VT, before i download them, and it would not be the first time i have seen false positives on one or more of the many scanners they use.

Thanks for your in depth explanation.

Actually, I had to copy/paste your quote from my e-mail notification of a reply to this thread. No idea how or what ate your original post, though.

Let me know if you have any more questions about the program.

Application for Win 7?

Actually, I had to copy/paste your quote from my e-mail notification of a reply to this thread. No idea how or what ate your original post, though.

Let me know if you have any more questions about the program.
    Hi psouza4 - that seems like a great utility you have there, but it doesn't seem to work for Windows 7 64-bit. I ran it, and it found my 18 files and off-line profile, but when I start Bioshock 2, it only sees the new account I created recently with the new saves. I'm wondering that perhaps this new account is online and overriding my saves. Perhaps I should delete the account and try to restore again. In any case, do you know if your utility works in Win 7? The profile doesn't seem to be in the same location.

Cheers,
    Dean.

Quote Originally Posted by sesame View Post
    Hi psouza4 - that seems like a great utility you have there, but it doesn't seem to work for Windows 7 64-bit. I ran it, and it found my 18 files and off-line profile, but when I start Bioshock 2, it only sees the new account I created recently with the new saves. I'm wondering that perhaps this new account is online and overriding my saves. Perhaps I should delete the account and try to restore again. In any case, do you know if your utility works in Win 7? The profile doesn't seem to be in the same location.

Cheers,
    Dean.
    The utility was developed under and tested in Windows 7 x64 -- it works fine -- however, it can only be used for OFFLINE profiles and does not allow mixing of online and offline nor does it allow mixing saved games between profiles. The saved games are encoded with IDs that can't be modified.

Example: Bob starts Bioshock 2 and creates a GFWL offline profile for himself and saves his game ('save A'). Rick plays later, creating a GFWL offline profile for himself and saves his game ('save B'). If Bob comes back and logs into his offline profile, he'll only see his saved games, not Bob's, even though my utility will list them all. And neither will be able to see GFWL online profiles -- they're not backup/restorable.

Thanks for getting back to me!

I'm thinking I may need to search for you saved link somewhere. I was fairly far in when my computer crashed, but I have backed the saved games up, and what I thought was the profile. I had installed it on XP, and I think the path was ../Documents and Settings\Deano\Application Data\Bioshock2. I keep trying to find the content folder you talk of, and there is one here: ../Documents and Settings\Deano\Application Data\Microsoft\CryptnetUrlCache\Content which seems to have files similar to what you talk of in this thread. I tried the steps there and it didn't recognise the profile, but did find the saved games. I deleted my offline account and restored these games with the offline account I deleted, so you are right, I could only see the new games. I tried to copy what I think is my profile, but that didn't work - it has the following files:

Bioshock2SP.ini
    PlayerStats.debug
    Shared.ini
    User.ini
    User_Dean.ini
    MEMORY

The last is a folder. Perhaps you can't restore from XP to Win7? Could you please post a link to your saved games? I will try to find it, but just in case. I would prefer to use my own saves, but I just can't seem to locate the xlive account - I never used xlive. I just created the local account.

Thanks for your assistance though, and it really does look like a great app!

Cheers,
    Dean.

BTW, I found your backup, but the link doesn't work

http://www.petersouza.com/Pete_BS2_savedgame.BS2_backup

../Documents and Settings\Deano\Application Data\Microsoft\CryptnetUrlCache\Content which seems to have files similar to what you talk of in this thread. I tried the steps there and it didn't recognise the profile, but did find the saved games. I deleted my offline account and restored these games with the offline account I deleted, so you are right, I could only see the new games. I tried to copy what I think is my profile, but that didn't work - it has the following files:

Bioshock2SP.ini
    PlayerStats.debug
    Shared.ini
    User.ini
    User_Dean.ini
    MEMORY

The last is a folder. Perhaps you can't restore from XP to Win7?
    Sorry, these aren't the right files -- you can restore from one OS to the other, but they must be the correct paths.

Could you please post a link to your saved games? I will try to find it, but just in case. I would prefer to use my own saves, but I just can't seem to locate the xlive account - I never used xlive. I just created the local account.

BTW, I found your backup, but the link doesn't work

http://www.petersouza.com/Pete_BS2_savedgame.BS2_backup
    It's been moved to:

http://www.petersouza.com/downloads/...ame.BS2_backup

Thanks heaps!

Thanks for that - the siren alley save was pretty close to where I was. I don't have much time to play often, so you've saved me a lot of time.

Cheers,
    Dean.

Glad to help

That would be me, then. :\ I'm slightly furious with GFWL on a number of levels. I'm a dialup user so have absolutely no interest in anything remotely to do with the internet where gaming is concerned. I have just reinstalled Windows and gotten around to reinstalling games and I've just realised that I have lost hours and hours worth of save games in GTA 4, Dirt 2 and 3 among others - I backed up all the save folders for the individual games and naïvely thought this would suffice. How ignorant of me to think that backing up just the entire savegames for each respective game would be sufficient to be able to carry on where I left off.

Sarcasm aside, though, thank you for this thread. I now know for the future.

Thank you

Feedback appreciated.
    I bought a second drive (SSD) and installed to it no realizing what a pain Microsoft had made it to move saves. I applaud and thank you from the bottom of my heart. The world needs people like you who take their own time and efforts to undo the stupid greed of companies for the betterment of the CUSTOMERS of said companies.

I created this account just to say that.

Quote Originally Posted by LongTime View Post
    Even if you haven't made a backup yourself, your system might possibly be keeping a record of previous versions. Right-click on the folder and select Properties and (if you have one) select the Previous Versions tab. Copy out the previous version you think may be correct.

I haven't been able to verify this because I wasn't aware of the hidden folder and was too late. So before making any changes to these folders, MAKE A BACKUP FIRST!

Good luck - your gonna need it.
    I only registered to this forum, to tell you, you are my favorite person in the universe this week. Thank you very much!