Page 205 of 205 FirstFirst ... 105155195203204205
Results 8,161 to 8,183 of 8183

Thread: Future Important Thread (Maybe)

http://www.vox.com/2015/3/2/8120063/...mocracy-doomed

A long but thoughtful article. I tend to agree with the conclusion.

best regards...

Quote Originally Posted by Pedal2Metal View Post

best regards...
    I agree too. Its the sort of article that will be read in 50 years or so and everyone will go - why didn't they understand ??

best regards...
    Like plato said democracy is the worst form of government as it always leads to tyranny. Its so obvious the direction America is heading yet 99% of people can't even see it.

Interesting article Pedal! It's always hard to predict the future, and usually we're more wrong than right when we try, but it does make sense that at some point the life of a country tends to outgrow its traditions, whether political or economic in nature. Our constitution, after a couple hundred years, is in some ways outdated. We update Windows (or kill it, from what I read recently) but how often do we come out with Constitution 2.0 or 3.0? Ha! We rarely even add amendments anymore... In any case, it wouldn't be such a bad idea to reformulate how our government works, or how the branches should interact, or how voting should take place, etc. But that's unlikely to happen without pain and frustration, as it's a natural tendency of people to delay significant change until absolute necessary.

My favorite quote about history is this:
    "What history teaches us is that no one learns from history." I don't recall where I read this but it wasn't Georg Hegel's writings, although perhaps he was being referenced.

The meta-observation of this quote is simply correct in every way. It's correct when analyzing individual lives, societies & civilizations. It's correct when analyzing businesses, governments, etc.... Absolutely one of my favorites.

In any case, no civilization has ever lasted timelessly w/o change. It is virtually impossible for any person or society to live outside of its time, to escape its own intrinsic existential myopia if you will. So history inevitably & inescapably repeats. So yes, the USA will not last forever in it's current state. Unfortunately, changes rarely occur in an methodical fashion. Such is the intrinsic nature of temporality & self-indulgence.

best regards...
    Last edited by Pedal2Metal; 03-20-2015 at 06:34 PM.

My favorite quote about history is this:
    "What history teaches us is that no one learns from history." I don't recall where I read this but it wasn't Georg Hegel's writings, although perhaps he was being referenced.

The meta-observation of this quote is simply correct in every way. It's correct when analyzing individual lives, societies & civilizations. It's correct when analyzing businesses, governments, etc.... Absolutely one of my favorites.

In any case, no civilization has ever lasted timelessly w/o change. It is virtually impossible for any person or society to live outside of its time, to escape its own intrinsic existential myopia if you will. So history inevitably & inescapably repeats. So yes, the USA will not last forever in it's current state. Unfortunately, changes rarely occur in an methodical fashion. Such is the intrinsic nature of temporality & self-indulgence.

best regards...

I just fear when it does change it will be for the worse and the great depression will look like nothing compared to what we have coming.

From http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015...nts-released/:

<begin reference>
    The correspondence itself shows bin Laden continued to be engaged from his hideout and sought to direct operations. Shortly before he was killed in the May 2011 raid, a letter shows him celebrating the Arab Spring revolutions which had toppled Tunisia's leader at that point and were mounting in several other countries.

"These are gigantic events that will eventually engulf most of the Muslim world, will free the Muslim land from American hegemony, and is troubling America whose Secretary of State declared that they are worried about the armed Muslims controlling the Muslim region," bin Laden wrote, according to a translated version.

Bin Laden, writing to a follower identified as Atiyah, called for more Al Qaeda involvement in these countries once their leaders were deposed.

He described the events as "critical to our nation," advising against being "fully occupied with the Afghanistan front." Bin Laden wrote, "we should give our main attention to the Muslim nation's revolution ..." He called for supporting the rebellions and pursuing an "education stage" whenever rulers were deposed, by "mobilizing" writers and technicians to guide those nations.
    <end reference>

I remember when the Arab Spring first occurred & some discussion happened here as to what would be the salient effect. I argued along the lines of Bin Laden's writings, i.e.: it won't be good. Others argued: Of course democracy was a genuine possibility. Clearly the data indicates which prediction was/is more accurate. Liberals crack me up with this kind of baseless optimism which contradicts all data & reasonable analysis. All this "people are basically good" nonsense despite the overwhelming data to the contrary. People the world over are intrinsically myopic & self-indulgent. What that looks like varies from culture to culture such as rampant consumerism/narcissism in the West to Bin Laden's writings above in the Middle-East but the source is all the same. Thinking of self & how to propagate that myopic vision. The very term, "Arab Spring", is a hilarious term conjured up by well-meaning but completely misguided optimists w/o a clue of reality & trying to "tiptoe" around the very real ideological divide between the West values normative & the Middle-East values normative. Such a term allows each side to choose their own interpretation & be correct, regardless of how disparate the interpretations are. Simply brilliant! Good old "newspeak" down to a science.

best regards...

I remember when the Arab Spring first occurred & some discussion happened here as to what would be the salient effect. I argued along the lines of Bin Laden's writings, i.e.: it won't be good. Others argued: Of course democracy was a genuine possibility. Clearly the data indicates which prediction was/is more accurate. Liberals crack me up with this kind of baseless optimism which contradicts all data & reasonable analysis. All this "people are basically good" nonsense despite the overwhelming data to the contrary. People the world over are intrinsically myopic & self-indulgent. What that looks like varies from culture to culture such as rampant consumerism/narcissism in the West to Bin Laden's writings above in the Middle-East but the source is all the same. Thinking of self & how to propagate that myopic vision. The very term, "Arab Spring", is a hilarious term conjured up by well-meaning but completely misguided optimists w/o a clue of reality & trying to "tiptoe" around the very real ideological divide between the West values normative & the Middle-East values normative. Such a term allows each side to choose their own interpretation & be correct, regardless of how disparate the interpretations are. Simply brilliant! Good old "newspeak" down to a science.

best regards...
    I think we were on the same side in that discussion about optimism. On the other hand, perhaps there's something to be said about optimism: over the course of history people are doing much better than they were 1000 years ago in terms of lighting, resources, sewage, heating, life spans, education, etc. But overall I agree with you: we humans tend to be myopic and superficial.

Roads of Rome: I like this game. I haven't played any games in a long time, but went on Games.com recently and downloaded this great time management & strategy game. You basically repair buildings and roads while trying to get the right access at the right time to resources that let you complete your tasks. It's very addictive. The game itself is short, usually less than 10 minutes per level. But it's intense, rapid, and smart.

Quote Originally Posted by Zefelius View Post
    Roads of Rome: I like this game. I haven't played any games in a long time, but went on Games.com recently and downloaded this great time management & strategy game. You basically repair buildings and roads while trying to get the right access at the right time to resources that let you complete your tasks. It's very addictive. The game itself is short, usually less than 10 minutes per level. But it's intense, rapid, and smart.
    I may check this out sometime, although I have very limited game time now due to work.

Changing topics, I'm curious what you think of this:
    http://www.vox.com/2015/6/3/8706323/...ofessor-afraid

There are related articles on the page, particularly a rebuttal article, I read them both. I don't know enough experientially to say which is more accurate but I do think mindless & less thoughtful reaction has become more common in our society due to social media. I find it mostly unappealing.

best regards...

I may check this out sometime, although I have very limited game time now due to work.

Changing topics, I'm curious what you think of this:
    http://www.vox.com/2015/6/3/8706323/...ofessor-afraid

There are related articles on the page, particularly a rebuttal article, I read them both. I don't know enough experientially to say which is more accurate but I do think mindless & less thoughtful reaction has become more common in our society due to social media. I find it mostly unappealing.

best regards...
    I'm in the middle of reading it right now. So far pretty interesting. On the one hand I have to agree: adjunct professors are under a LOT of stress. Their jobs are extremely precarious. Only about 25% of faculty have TT jobs that are secure, so the rest really do depend on the kindness of strangers, i.e., student evaluations. On the other hand, I have to wonder if there is more to some of the stories. There are plenty of lecturers who teach liberal thinkers such as Edward Said without automatically getting fired. So it's possible there is more to the story...

I'll continue reading now...

Well, Pedal, it seems that campus PC-ness has been hitting the news lately. There was the article you brought to our attention, and from what I've heard it's touched a nerve for a lot of people, and now Jerry Seinfeld has commented on how comedians are beginning to avoid campuses because students are too sensitive. Here's one link: http://www.cnn.com/2015/06/10/living...colleges-feat/.

A great WSJ article (written by Flynn himself) explaining how we score better on IQ tests than people 100 years ago even though we aren't inherently smarter today... http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB100008...06612858486012.

The explanation has to do with formal education, and how today we focus on abstract hypotheticals, whereas in the past real life practical knowledge tended to be tested more. So in the past a student would know all the state capitals, whereas today a student is expected to know why the state capital isn't necessarily the largest city of the state. These are different kinds of knowledge being tested...

How is everyone doing by the way?

Quote Originally Posted by ShowtekGER View Post
    How is everyone doing by the way?
    Great, thanks. And you?

Well, Pedal, it seems that campus PC-ness has been hitting the news lately. There was the article you brought to our attention, and from what I've heard it's touched a nerve for a lot of people, and now Jerry Seinfeld has commented on how comedians are beginning to avoid campuses because students are too sensitive. Here's one link: http://www.cnn.com/2015/06/10/living...colleges-feat/.
    Been a long while as I had issues getting on the site. I still have log in literally every 60 seconds so I likely won't be visiting much still. I'll take a look. Here's an interesting article I just read, fascinating to me.

http://www.tufts.edu/alumni/magazine...p-in-arms.html

best regards...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...offensive.html

I agree with the professor personally. I'm afraid I'm not impressed with the Facebook generation. Seem like a bunch of babies/whiners who can't hold their milk. Milk-drinkers as the Nords in Skyrim put it.

best regards...

Haven't been on this thread in a long while. Started playing deus ex since it was the free game and I really enjoy it except for the couple of bugs. Funny enough it reminded me of you pedal as you talked about that game somewhere in this thread a couple years or so ago. Hope everyone is doing well

Quote Originally Posted by ITZ DENI3D View Post
    Haven't been on this thread in a long while. Started playing deus ex since it was the free game and I really enjoy it except for the couple of bugs. Funny enough it reminded me of you pedal as you talked about that game somewhere in this thread a couple years or so ago. Hope everyone is doing well
    Hey Denied! Yes, Deus Ex:Human Revolution is excellent, still one of my favorite gaming experiences & one of the most thought provoking.

best regards...

Random thought don't mind me I feel life is simply tolerated because that's what we're supposed to do. There is no difference between non existence and death. They're one and the same. This thing we call life is about as brief as anything in the universe, and what is gained from it? Is this the universe's attempt to achieve transcendence so it can experience itself and exist? Without anything to define existence nothing can exist, so life is necessary for the universe to exist by logical deduction. We give life to the universe just as the universe gives life to us. 😱 All this pain and the chaos of life is no different from the rest of the universe, the universe is chaotic and violent and so is life! This is necessary, the sooner you accept it the better you'll feel. Pain is all but guaranteed in life and that's ok 😊

Quote Originally Posted by ITZ DENI3D View Post
    Random thought don't mind me I feel life is simply tolerated because that's what we're supposed to do. There is no difference between non existence and death. They're one and the same. This thing we call life is about as brief as anything in the universe, and what is gained from it? Is this the universe's attempt to achieve transcendence so it can experience itself and exist? Without anything to define existence nothing can exist, so life is necessary for the universe to exist by logical deduction. We give life to the universe just as the universe gives life to us. �� All this pain and the chaos of life is no different from the rest of the universe, the universe is chaotic and violent and so is life! This is necessary, the sooner you accept it the better you'll feel. Pain is all but guaranteed in life and that's ok ��
    Correct: The residue of the physical universe is nothing. This is a thermodynamic fact. In short, you are more intellectually honest than the vast majority of athiests who conjure out of thin air a reason for living when, if their premise is accurate, there is none. Life, in the athiest worldview, is merely an inexplicable accident w/o ultimate purpose or meaning. So I find it amusing when they accuse theists of being oblivious & insane when all the while they grow red in the face screaming & defending their own meaninglessness. If I was an athiest, I simply wouldn't care about theists. Why waste my time on insane people when we're all in the same fish bowl of meaninglessness anyhow? Seems even more insane & pointless to argue the point if everything IS inexplicable & meaningless. No skin off my nose but seems pretty silly.

"Vanity of vanities, all is vanity." -- Eccl 1:2 (excerpt)

Denied, if you haven't read it already, I'm guessing you might enjoy Ecclesiastes. It's highly philosophical & residual in its analysis. It's also short (12 chapters). You could probably read it in 30 minutes easy.

best regards...
    Last edited by Pedal2Metal; 11-14-2016 at 02:01 PM.

someone didn't like our comments eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Rules
    2. No Flaming or Trolling
    It's really important to be respectful to all community members, the moderators and 2K staff. It's fine to debate and argue, but don't insult others, use name-calling, or troll other members to try to get your point across. Don't call people out, don't post obvious troll threads, and try your hardest not to start flame wars. Don't post about nationalism, religion or political topics, unless it's specifically referring to mechanics or game content within a 2K title. If you believe you’re being flamed by another member, please PM a moderator or admin rather than fighting back. Basically, don't post anything that would lead to a huge argument on the forums and, again, treat everyone - including individuals who post on these forums as well as those who do not - with respect at all times.
    The latest posts have been removed as they were breaking this rule. As the quote says, discussion of politics, religion and nationalism is not allowed on these forums.

Any questions about this can be sent to a moderator via PM.
    Last edited by Zeokage; 04-13-2017 at 10:02 PM.
    YOU for the CYBER SERIES!
    Vote to decide who is the best male WWE Superstar on the roster today!
    Currently voting: Round Robin Matches

Page 205 of 205 FirstFirst ... 105155195203204205