Page 37 of 68 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,480 of 2701

Thread: The Mafia II Reviews Thread

Quote Originally Posted by HiredKiller View Post
    No, a 10/10 with no flaws to appoint is really not Fanboy-ish ...

C'mon, no game is perfect. I doubt that after all the Reviews that complained about the unforgiving AI and bad shooting mechanics this game can receive a 10 out of nowhere with no faults to note. Typical review of a Fanboy, with no faults to note to its favourite saga. GTA IV was crap story-wise but the city was alive and kicking, the driving was soooooo good ( a car fan always loves a good simulator ) and it was fun. It doesn't justify all its 10's, I agree, but it was a game so remarkable on 2008 that people were blind by it. The game was a breakthrough and raised a huge bar to the genre, as did Red Dead Redemption in its last iteration.

Be open minded ...

Parts of it do seem like they were written by a fanboy on this forum and I agree, everything has flaws. But theose lesser reviews (given it 7s and what not) could just as easily be regarded as "hating" on the game.

10/10 = fanboy

7/10 = hater that doesnt understand the game.

how are reviewers supposed to win?

at the end of the day the only review that counts is your own, when you pick up the game on the 24th and rip into it you'll know exactly how good (or bad) it is.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleItaly View Post
    Parts of it do seem like they were written by a fanboy on this forum and I agree, everything has flaws. But theose lesser reviews (given it 7s and what not) could just as easily be regarded as "hating" on the game.

10/10 = fanboy

7/10 = hater that doesnt understand the game.

how are reviewers supposed to win?

at the end of the day the only review that counts is your own, when you pick up the game on the 24th and rip into it you'll know exactly how good (or bad) it is.
    Exactly, ma' friend, exactly !!!

Although I don't buy games based on Reviews, I still get reticent seeing low scores on games, when they're not haters based reviews.

Buying the game and getting home, playing it and getting to the conclusion that the Review kinda sayd to us ''I told you so'' is frustrating and paying for something that afterall is really what the review says is sad and makes me cry ... on the inside LOL.

But I agree on something the reviews say ... ''I have been there, done that''. The problem is this: When you reach the top ( MAFIA ), you can't go up anymore. Either you fall or stay on the top. And 90% of the times they fall ...

Quote Originally Posted by glesson View Post
    Game Kings' Score : 10/10

Translation is taken from the Gamespot's forums (link). With this score the game average is 82%.
    hm hm, this sounds like someone copied my notes from the PREVIEW from gamekings and added a 10/10, something Boris (the guy from gamekings) never said, also this is not from a magazine but from a gaming website...

so guys before you start a fight about someone being a fanboy or not: check your sources

proof : check http://ff.im/-p2csq
    it's not because you can't read dutch, that you don't see the letters preview eh
    stupid ass
    Last edited by tommy22; 08-15-2010 at 01:11 AM.

One of the reviewers, I think it was Gamemaster said:
    It isn’t an historical alternative to Grand Theft Auto
    Obviously this guy started palying the game thinking Mafia II is a good alternative to GTA, ignoring the fact that Mafia 1 & Mafia II are both different to any GTA game. Yeah cars are very important in both games, but that doesn't make them the same.

Any reviewer who's going to play Mafia II thinking it's just an alternative to GTA is going to give Mafia II a medicore score.

New Review From Gameplay

I just received my issue of the Danish gaming magazine Gameplay. I find that Gameplay's target audience is usually more adult than most other gaming magazines with most readers somewhere between in the 20-35 demographic. They also have a different and occasionally an intellectual approach to reviewing, which can both serve as an asset or a detriment. They make use of a standard 1-10 scale and give no decimal scores.

The only real drawback they cite is that while Empire Bay is brilliantly and meticulously rendered, outside of the main story-line it feels somewhat empty with little to do. Even this, however, is apparently compensated by the story, which is brillantly told to the extent that it feels like a long, playable gangster movie.

Also noted is the game's clear legacy from the original not only in its adherence to the story-telling but down to the slightly wonky but appropriate driving controls of period cars with neither ABS breaks nor power steering (though to be fair I think the latter was introduced in the US in 1951) as well as the general spirit and maturity of the game.

The reviewer's ultimate conclusion is that "2K Czech's uncompromising discipline and love of the story make it difficult to to criticize anything but being guided through a beautiful--but not entirely free, setting"

The game gets 9/10

A funny note is that the chief editor of the magazine is intimately familiar with the original. Tasked with reviewing the game back in 2002 he broke his keyboard in frustration at not being able to pass the infamous racing mission. Even so, he still awarded the original a 9/10.

Quote Originally Posted by Madelle View Post
    I just received my issue of the Danish gaming magazine Gameplay. I find that Gameplay's target audience is usually more adult than most other gaming magazines with most readers somewhere between in the 20-35 demographic. They also have a different and occasionally an intellectual approach to reviewing, which can both serve as an asset or a detriment. They make use of a standard 1-10 scale and give no decimal scores.

The only real drawback they cite is that while Empire Bay is brilliantly and meticulously rendered, outside of the main story-line it feels somewhat empty with little to do. Even this, however, is apparently compensated by the story, which is brillantly told to the extent that it feels like a long, playable gangster movie.

Also noted is the game's clear legacy from the original not only in its adherence to the story-telling but down to the slightly wonky but appropriate driving controls of period cars with neither ABS breaks nor power steering (though to be fair I think the latter was introduced in the US in 1951) as well as the general spirit and maturity of the game.

The reviewer's ultimate conclusion is that "2K Czech's uncompromising discipline and love of the story make it difficult to to criticize anything but being guided through a beautiful--but not entirely free, setting"

The game gets 9/10

A funny note is that the chief editor of the magazine is intimately familiar with the original. Tasked with reviewing the game back in 2002 he broke his keyboard in frustration at not being able to pass the infamous racing mission. Even so, he still awarded the original a 9/10.
    thank you very much for sharing this (and welcome )

Thanks for the summary.

I must say this is almost in tune with my intuition as well based on following the game for so long, not that I have played it yet, but still I think the positive feedback, with the rather consistent, though perhaps voiced a bit different from one review to another is that quite a lot sees the interactivity in Empire Bay as a slight drawback, along with some on these forums as well

If we get a Mafia III, I think they will give us more to do, as in terms of interactivity, or perhaps even in DLC for Mafia II.

Thanks for the welcome! I've been lurking around these boards for about 2 years, but didn't register largely due to all the whining and complaining that seemed rampant despite Elizabeth's best efforts (and props to her by the way).

Just as a quick note to McGee though, as I stated Gameplay is a Danish gaming magazine. Not a Dutch one. There is a difference

Quote Originally Posted by ArchangelX View Post
    Thanks for the summary.
    If we get a Mafia III, I think they will give us more to do, as in terms of interactivity, or perhaps even in DLC for Mafia II.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but they have already stated that the Jimmy DLC's are made to cater to the free roaming audience with a lot more to do in the city. I forgot the exact quote but it went something like, "While the main game focuses on the story, the DLC highlights the city to a much higher degree."

If that's the case, than all the complaints about lack of things to do should be found in the DLC packages.

Is my math really that lacking? Or is the total score more like 82%?

Quote Originally Posted by day2daze View Post
    Is my math really that lacking? Or is the total score more like 82%?
    I just didn't update it yet

Quote Originally Posted by McGee View Post
    I just didn't update it yet
    Well now I'm confused. Is that gameking's 'review' just a preview?

The first Mafia II reviews are coming in now, and I've made this thread so that we can post the scores when they come up. Please don't create new threads for each and every review, post them here with a source link so that everyone knows where to go to keep up with how the game is doing. The mods will update this post whenever a new score is posted.

I expect the magazine reviews to go out first, so we'll probably not have any links for a while. Please do not post magazine scans or links to them. If a review is from an online outlet, then please post the link to the source.

Thanks

PC ZONE: 80%
    OXM Australia: 8/10
    OXM UK:7/10
    OXM Italy: 9.5/10
    OPM UK: 7/10
    GameMaster: 84/100
    LEVEL Magazine: 7/10, Second Opinion 9/10
    Game Kings: 10/10
    Gameplay (DUTCH): 9/10
    Gamereactor Sweden: --- [Review incoming Aug. 16th]
    Games Aktuell (GER): --- [Review incoming Aug. 18th]

Current Average: 82%

Future scores will be posted at Metacritic
    Gameplay isn't a Dutch magazine but a Danish.

Quote Originally Posted by HiredKiller View Post
    I doubt that after all the Reviews that complained about the unforgiving AI and bad shooting mechanics this game can receive a 10 out of nowhere with no faults to note.
    What review said that it had bad shooting mechanics and "unforgiving" AI?

Quote Originally Posted by tommy22 View Post
    hm hm, this sounds like someone copied my notes from the PREVIEW from gamekings and added a 10/10, something Boris (the guy from gamekings) never said, also this is not from a magazine but from a gaming website...

so guys before you start a fight about someone being a fanboy or not: check your sources

proof : check http://ff.im/-p2csq
    it's not because you can't read dutch, that you don't see the letters preview eh
    stupid ass
    That's exactly what I was thinking. I even put your translation on the GameSpot forums, so it looks like someone just copied what I put and added a 10/10.

The game gets 9/10

This and McGee's friend's review seem like the most unbiased reviews so far.
    Last edited by Spiral Static; 08-15-2010 at 04:06 AM.

It's like an unofficial review. He played the game and stated everything he loved about it, but he probably had some complaints that he didn't mention.

Yeah, it's a fake.

There was no 10/10 review.

Yeah, it's a fake.

There was no 10/10 review.
    No, it's not fake, it just didn't receive a score. All of the remarks he made about the game are real.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiral Static View Post
    No, it's not fake, it just didn't receive a score. All of the remarks he made about the game are real.
    but it was from a preview not a review.

and the point is there still hasn't been a 10/10 review. thats all im saying.

but it was from a preview not a review.

and the point is there still hasn't been a 10/10 review. thats all im saying.
    Yes, but the guy played the full game and stated everything he liked about it.

Yes, but the guy played the full game and stated everything he liked about it.
    he played the full game? I thought it was from a preview not a review?

whatever, the only point I was making is that there hasnt been a 10/10 review yet.

he played the full game? I thought it was from a preview not a review?

whatever, the only point I was making is that there hasnt been a 10/10 review yet.
    Did you read Tommy's translation of what he said?

http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/sho...postcount=1285

He played the entire game and was very happy with it. He never gave out a 10/10, though. Someone just made that up.

He played the entire game and was very happy with it. He never gave out a 10/10, though. Someone just made that up.
    right like I said whatever, the only point I was making is it hasnt had a 10/10 review yet.

thats all I was saying.

Okay, I guess he assumed with comments like those (and the fact he didn't have any issues with the game) he felt it was a 10/10.

But no problem, I'll just change it back to N/A.

Okay, I guess he assumed with comments like those (and the fact he didn't have any issues with the game) he felt it was a 10/10.

But no problem, I'll just change it back to N/A.
    He might still give it a 10/10 later, but for now, there's no score.

McGee, I think your friend's review was the best one so far. His review had no bias toward GTA or the Mafia series. His review sounded more professional than some of the professional reviews.

Have you been in contact with him lately?

He might still give it a 10/10 later, but for now, there's no score.

McGee, I think your friend's review was the best one so far. His review had no bias toward GTA or the Mafia series. His review sounded more professional than some of the professional reviews.

Have you been in contact with him lately?
    I also agree. Like I said he's a huge mafia 1 fan, so he has better overall perspective of reviewing a Mafia 2 game, than some reviewer who never even heard of the 1st.

I've seen him online a few times, but he has yet to message me back. So we'll see.

btw, Xardas told me I could post the pictures he took, but I really don't know if I want them to be posted. Like I said, the pics reveal some KEY moments in the game, that are very spoilerish.

btw, Xardas told me I could post the pictures he took, but I really don't know if I want them to be posted. Like I said, the pics reveal some KEY moments in the game, that are very spoilerish.
    How spoilerish? As long as it's not the ending or the major death of an ally/important char. then im willing to take a peek.

I also agree. Like I said he's a huge mafia 1 fan, so he has better overall perspective of reviewing a Mafia 2 game, than some reviewer who never even heard of the 1st.

I've seen him online a few times, but he has yet to message me back. So we'll see.

Maybe you can just post the links in this thread, but in spoiler tags. Are they pictures of cutscenes? Or do they show mission areas we haven't seen before? Are there any of Vito just shooting enemies or something?

btw in other news the gamereactor review will be posted sometime tonight, so stay tuned for that!

As you know Mafia 2 is on the front page, and usually they hold the front page for games that usually get 10/10, or 9/10's. For example the previous 2 were held by Super Mario Galaxy 2, and RDR which both got a 10/10

So hopefully, maybe Mafia 2 could see the same fate

Also with the review they usually have a second opinion attatched, so I'll be posting the second opinion as well.

Maybe you can just post the links in this thread, but in spoiler tags. Are they pictures of cutscenes? Or do they show mission areas we haven't seen before? Are there any of Vito just shooting enemies or something?
    Okay let me put it in the most non spoileristic way.

1. Shows a gameplay pic from the beginning
    2. The other shows a mission that I've never even seen before
    3. Shows the death of a character, that I am very upset to find out about
    4. The last seems like the ending, but I would be shocked if it was

I'll take a peek at the first one

2 of them are gameplay pics, the other 2 are cutscene pics. I really feel that if I do post them, that some idiot like HD Dime will make a thread on what one of the pics reveal, and the game is coming out in 8 days.

We already know some much info, and knowing this will just make it WORSE, like X10 WORSE

I say give links to the screens, so everyone can decide for themselves.

Okay let me put it in the most non spoileristic way.

2. The other shows a mission that I've never even seen before
    3. Shows the death of a character, that I am very upset to find out about
    4. The last seems like the ending, but I would be shocked if it was
    Jesus, could he have given you worse pics? "Here McGee, here's a pic of the ending, one of a major character dying, one of the secret first level, and one of a very important mission!"

2 of them are gameplay pics, the other 2 are cutscene pics. I really feel that if I do post them, that some idiot like HD Dime will make a thread on what one of the pics reveal, and the game is coming out in 8 days.

We already know some much info, and knowing this will just make it WORSE, like X10 WORSE
    Good point, I would just PM them to anyone that wants them. I swear, if HD Dime spoils the game for me......
    Last edited by Spiral Static; 08-15-2010 at 04:51 AM.

Jesus, could he have given you worse pics? "Here McGee, here's a pic of the ending, one of a major character dying, one of the secret first level, and one of a very important mission!"
    Well you see I was quite skeptical of him even having the same, so I guess posting those pics is the only way.

Good point, I would just PM them to anyone that wants them.
    Yeah I might just do that, except to HD Dime

Though I'll be gone for the rest of the day, so I probably won't pm the links till tomorrow, or whenever I'm free

PM me that one please^

On that note I'm outta here until I finish the game. I can already see hd dime looking at those pics then posting spoilers in thread titles.

I'll hate me for spoiling myself, I wouldn't mind some footage.

Well you see I was quite skeptical of him even having the same, so I guess posting those pics is the only way.

Yeah I might just do that, except to HD Dime

Though I'll be gone for the rest of the day, so I probably won't pm the links till tomorrow, or whenever I'm free
    But he could've posted a pic of himself in the observatory or Empire Arms hotel, but just in way that shows that it's not from a gaming website.

But he could've posted a pic of himself in the observatory or Empire Arms hotel, but just in way that shows that it's not from a gaming website.
    Haha, but it's more fun to show the ending....

Quote Originally Posted by glesson View Post
    Haha, but it's more fun to show the ending....
    Not if you're the one that's getting shown the ending.

Page 37 of 68 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast