Page 51 of 68 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast
Results 2,001 to 2,040 of 2701

Thread: The Mafia II Reviews Thread

  1. #2001
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiral Static View Post
    Not every game....ahem *GTA4* ahem......


    But, yeah, Metacritic is good.
    Yes...EVERY game, including GTA4.


    I'm aware that there are plenty of previous GTA players that didn't like #4...but that was because of their personal biases based on their previous experiences of the other games. In other words, many peoples view on it was tainted.

    I however didn't own a PS2, XBOX, or even a Gamecube last gen...I was a PC MMORPG player and never played any of the 3D GTA games (I also had a Dreamcast btw).

    And as a newcomer with fresh eye and new perspective on it....GTA4 was awesome.....one of the best games this generation. Even the Online was great (GTA RACING = an EXTREME Road RASH).
    In my opinion, my view was not tainted, and I looked at the game for what it was with no expectations, no wants and no desires....I simply played the game.


    So yes....EVERY AAA quality game on Metacritic stands.

    If I was to guess, Mafia 2 will not meet that stringent standard.

  2. #2002
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    18
    i'll buy it anyways... Too bad it won't be the good deal we all suspected it to become! The First Mafia kicked balls, second one seems to fail on some points... Strange and sad... But hey!!!

  3. #2003
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,049
    Quote Originally Posted by Persistantthug View Post
    Yes...EVERY game, including GTA4.


    I'm aware that there are plenty of previous GTA players that didn't like #4...but that was because of their personal biases based on their previous experiences of the other games. In other words, many peoples view on it was tainted.

    I however didn't own a PS2, XBOX, or even a Gamecube last gen...I was a PC MMORPG player and never played any of the 3D GTA games (I also had a Dreamcast btw).

    And as a newcomer with fresh eye and new perspective on it....GTA4 was awesome.....one of the best games this generation. Even the Online was great (GTA RACING = an EXTREME Road RASH).
    In my opinion, my view was not tainted, and I looked at the game for what it was with no expectations, no wants and no desires....I simply played the game.


    So yes....EVERY AAA quality game on Metacritic stands.

    If I was to guess, Mafia 2 will not meet that stringent standard.
    I did the same thing as you. I played without having ever played a GTA game before. I guess I'm a person who loves stories in video games, but the first thing that came to mind when playing it was that the story was just........vulgar and brash. I don't know, it just turned me off to the game. And I just despise the lock-on and cover system.

    It's still a solid game, I'd give it a 8.5/10, but there is no way it deserved 10/10s from 95% of reviewers.

    It's just an opinion, though. It's just not my type of game, but even if I were to review it without any bias, I would still not give the game a 10/10.

  4. #2004
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,049
    Quote Originally Posted by Grifter View Post
    i'll buy it anyways... Too bad it won't be the good deal we all suspected it to become! The First Mafia kicked balls, second one seems to fail on some points... Strange and sad... But hey!!!
    Hey! Another person that can't think for themselves!

  5. #2005
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiral Static View Post
    Hey! Another person that can't think for themselves!
    And why is that? Because i judge only on the two demo' i played? I am just referring to the little facts for myself that they left out things like melee combat, like we saw in that fantastic vid a year ago...

    They worked soooo looong on this game, delayed it so many times... But for what?

    And may i add to the fact that the framerate sucks many times in both demos!
    Last edited by Grifter; 08-20-2010 at 03:29 PM.

  6. #2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiral Static View Post
    I did the same thing as you. I played without having ever played a GTA game before. I guess I'm a person who loves stories in video games, but the first thing that came to mind when playing it was that the story was just........vulgar and brash. I don't know, it just turned me off to the game. And I just despise the lock-on and cover system.

    It's still a solid game, I'd give it a 8.5/10, but there is no way it deserved 10/10s from 95% of reviewers.

    It's just an opinion, though. It's just not my type of game, but even if I were to review it without any bias, I would still not give the game a 10/10.
    The game wasn't perfect and got too many 10's than it deserved...I will give you that.

    But the game was still a 90'ish game.

    The game definitely had a story....and it being vulgar and brash...well, that was kinda the point.

    As far as the lock on....if you didn't like it, you could always turn it off.

    Cover didn't bother me. Was it as fluid as Gears or Uncharted 2? No, but with the hit detection and whatnot, it had its charm, especially if you got good with it.

    Perfect game, no....very good game....heck yeah.

  7. #2007
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,049
    Quote Originally Posted by Grifter View Post
    And why is that? Because i judge only on the two demo' i played? I am just referring to the little facts for myself that they left out things like melee combat, like we saw in that fantastic vid a year ago...

    They worked soooo looong on this game, delayed it so many times... But for what?

    And may i add to the fact that the framerate sucks many times in both demos!
    Hey! Another person that is judging the demo as the final game!!

  8. #2008
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiral Static View Post
    Hey! Another person that is judging the demo as the final game!!
    lol... sign...

  9. #2009
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,049
    Quote Originally Posted by Grifter View Post
    lol... sign...
    Just play the game before you start saying how it's a flop.

  10. #2010
    is someone continuing McGee job post the reviews in the first post or not? Just cause I don't have the time to check every little post made here...?
    -----
    "Hey...i think this game is going to be a disappointment cause i didn't like the demo"
    >'You can't think for yourself, don't you dare say anything negative about a game that hasn't come out yet'

    ....
    this discussion has been repeated about a thousands times in this thread already....

    Can everybody plz stay ontopic...so all the people just interested in the review scores (pro&contra) don't have to go trough this stuff...thx you very much

  11. #2011
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    307
    new review by German magazine GameStar
    system tested: PC

    score: 85%

    pros:
    + great story
    + believable characters
    + great soundtrack

    cons:
    - empty world
    - saving system (checkpoints) is crap

  12. #2012
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    277
    Quote Originally Posted by Persistantthug View Post
    Yes...EVERY game, including GTA4.


    I'm aware that there are plenty of previous GTA players that didn't like #4...but that was because of their personal biases based on their previous experiences of the other games. In other words, many peoples view on it was tainted.

    I however didn't own a PS2, XBOX, or even a Gamecube last gen...I was a PC MMORPG player and never played any of the 3D GTA games (I also had a Dreamcast btw).

    And as a newcomer with fresh eye and new perspective on it....GTA4 was awesome.....one of the best games this generation. Even the Online was great (GTA RACING = an EXTREME Road RASH).
    In my opinion, my view was not tainted, and I looked at the game for what it was with no expectations, no wants and no desires....I simply played the game.


    So yes....EVERY AAA quality game on Metacritic stands.

    If I was to guess, Mafia 2 will not meet that stringent standard.
    I agree that Metacritic is great but some games got A LOT better grades that they should...Bioshock for example ...what crappy game...Mass Effect 2 didnt deserve 94 maybe 90....GTA IV 85-90 maybe and so on...

  13. #2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jackennils View Post

    cons:
    - empty world
    I hope they fix this somehow

  14. #2014
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    2,420
    Just a heads-up. McGee's on leave from the forum, so I'll be updating his first post for him with new reviews. However, this thread tends to fill up pretty quickly and I might miss a review if you guys post it here. If you don't see the review updated on the first page for 24+ hours, its because I missed it in the thread so PM it to me if you want to keep that first post current.

    Thanks.

  15. #2015
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    How should i know?...
    Posts
    525
    Videogamer.com has apparently reviewed it since they're quoted in the latest Gamereactor magazine as a review, or else its from a preview, could't find it on their site.

  16. #2016
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    307
    Quote Originally Posted by jackennils View Post
    new review by German magazine GameStar
    system tested: PC

    score: 85%

    pros:
    + great story
    + believable characters
    + great soundtrack

    cons:
    - empty world
    - saving system (checkpoints) is crap
    Ok guys, got some more details about the GameStar review:

    PROS:
    • great story
    • believable characters
    • great soundtrack
    • very good voice acting
    • good car and weapon sounds
    • convincing atmosphere
    • good cover system
    • 15 Chapters
    • many great cars
    • good tuning system
    • nice clothings
    • detailed world
    • destroyable environment
    • varying city
    • good AI of your fellows
    • good wayfinding of the police
    • enemies use cover
    • classic Mafia weapons
    • great cutscenes
    • great dialogues

    CONS:
    • empty world
    • saving system (checkpoints) is crap
    • not enough savepoints
    • repetitive character models
    • too hard on easy
    • sometimes boring
    • almost no replay value
    • police doesn't use cover
    • fistfights too easy

  17. #2017
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    307
    one more review from Germany:

    PC Games magazine tested the PC version as well

    score: 85%

    PROS:
    • great characters
    • good story
    • good controls
    • beautiful graphics
    • detailed world
    • believable sounds
    • great music
    • choice between arcade- and simulation mode

    CONS:
    • AI with lot of dropouts
    • nothing to do in Empire Bay
    • unfair savepoints
    • game is too short
    • no replay value
    • unsatisfying ending

  18. #2018
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    647
    Quote Originally Posted by jackennils View Post
    • too hard on easy

    Hmm, or they aren't used to this type of gameplay...because i don't know what difficulty the demo is on, but i though it was very easy

  19. #2019
    Quote Originally Posted by ClashNL View Post
    Hmm, or they aren't used to this type of gameplay...because i don't know what difficulty the demo is on, but i though it was very easy
    Yeah, gameinformer said: "If you’re a veteran of open world games, you should note that Mafia II is extremely easy on the normal difficulty."

    extremely easy on normal and they found it hard on easy lol

  20. #2020
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Latvia
    Posts
    127
    Quote Originally Posted by ClashNL View Post
    • unsatisfying ending
    ☺☺☺ ??! ..

  21. #2021
    Quote Originally Posted by jackennils View Post
    • game is too short
    • unsatisfying ending
    Curious about these two.

  22. #2022
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    750
    Saving system sucks

    ^ I wonder if it has the same save system/checkpoints as the demo...because it was fine in the demo imo.

    Also curious about the police not taking cover comment since 2k jack said they do take cover in the final game.
    Last edited by Mafiashock; 08-20-2010 at 10:48 PM.

  23. #2023
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In Canada, probably in an igloo!
    Posts
    383
    Quote Originally Posted by jackennils View Post

    PROS:
    • detailed world

    CONS:
    • empty world
    What is this i don't even...


    Quote Originally Posted by jackennils View Post
    • sometimes boring
    I know no games that doesn't have their boring moments.
    Last edited by Archvile78; 08-20-2010 at 11:20 PM.

  24. #2024
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    647
    Quote Originally Posted by Archvile78 View Post
    What is this i don't even...
    Detailed, and empty...isn't the same thing.

    I think they mean the city is very detailed *buildings etc*

    But there's nothing to do *Side missions*

  25. #2025
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In Canada, probably in an igloo!
    Posts
    383
    Quote Originally Posted by ClashNL View Post
    Detailed, and empty...isn't the same thing.

    I think they mean the city is very detailed *buildings etc*

    But there's nothing to do *Side missions*
    In the Cons of that very same review there's "almost no replay value" which, afaik, count as the lack of stuff to do. My guess is that they mean it looks "lifeless" which personally wouldn't be true.

  26. #2026
    Quote Originally Posted by Saberq View Post
    I agree that Metacritic is great but some games got A LOT better grades that they should...Bioshock for example ...what crappy game...Mass Effect 2 didnt deserve 94 maybe 90....GTA IV 85-90 maybe and so on...

    Nope.

    You're wrong.

    Bioshock was definitely a 90+ plus game and deservedly so.

    The story in Bioshock was well told and mature....(well as mature as a sci fi'ish story can be).

    And then the atmosphere of the game was creepy and also well done.

    The Ayn Rand political philosophy tie in was brilliant.

    I bought Bioshock a year ago for $20 and it was very good. It didn't get its 94 rating for nothing....it was well deserved.

    Basically, you may have not liked it, Saberq....but hardly anyone agrees with you.

  27. #2027
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Argentina,Chubut
    Posts
    153
    Quote Originally Posted by Mintz95 View Post
    IDK, I think both games deserve over 9/10, but I don't have any certain prejudice towards Rockstar, I just think they make great games... this argument won't be won by either side because its a matter of opinion

    I always discuss things like this with my brother:

    I-It's a good game/movie,But we got different opinions.It's a matter of taste.

    He-F*** you!

    I think he doesn't like to be contradicted

    ONLY THREE/SIX DAYS PEOPLE!

  28. #2028
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    896
    HOLY CRAP LESS THAN 3 DAYS FOR ME! In exactly 2 days 21 hours and 15 minutes I will have my PC Collector's Edition of Mafia II

    On topic: Yeah, some people purposely are against high rated games and get bent out of shape because a lot of people enjoyed the game.

  29. #2029
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    794
    Quote Originally Posted by EdKe View Post
    I always discuss things like this with my brother:

    I-It's a good game/movie,But we got different opinions.It's a matter of taste.

    He-F*** you!

    I think he doesn't like to be contradicted

    ONLY THREE/SIX DAYS PEOPLE!
    2 days, 14 hours, and 13 minutes remaining until the Mafia II release date in North America.

    Edit: At Mintz, well some high rated games are horrible example: MW2. That game takes no skill and filled with campers and awards people with big points for actually doing nothing.
    Last edited by Bobsynergy; 08-21-2010 at 01:12 AM.

  30. #2030
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Argentina,Chubut
    Posts
    153
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobsynergy View Post
    2 days, 14 hours, and 13 minutes remaining until the Mafia II release date in North America.
    seems like you are counting the remainig seconds

  31. #2031
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Wet Wang, Bush
    Posts
    501
    Quote Originally Posted by Mintz95 View Post
    HOLY CRAP LESS THAN 3 DAYS FOR ME! In exactly 2 days 21 hours and 15 minutes I will have my PC Collector's Edition of Mafia II

    On topic: Yeah, some people purposely are against high rated games and get bent out of shape because a lot of people enjoyed the game.
    Wow, it seems you just read half of my gaming life! I dislike (as hate is a pretty strong word) Call Of Duty because they're so many hardcore gamers that play that game. Oh well, Mafia II is coming out and i've been stalking that game like it was Jessica Alba for the past 4 months!

  32. #2032
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    896
    I'm not gonna lie, I loved Modern Warfare 2 when it first came out. It was a really FUN game with GOOD GRAPHICS. It was simple and to the point. I don't understand why people get so upset when a game they don't like is enjoyed by millions of other people who disagree with them.

    EDIT: You think COD is hardcore? Play Counter Strike

  33. #2033
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    794
    Quote Originally Posted by Livejoker View Post
    Wow, it seems you just read half of my gaming life! I dislike (as hate is a pretty strong word) Call Of Duty because they're so many hardcore gamers that play that game. Oh well, Mafia II is coming out and i've been stalking that game like it was Jessica Alba for the past 4 months!
    Hahahahaha that's funny, no one in Call of Duty is a hardcore gamer, they all just camp in a corner and the game takes no skill at all.

    Edit: At Mintz, I had fun with it too when it first came out, then I stopped playiing it for better games because I was tired of the dual 1887s, commando knife, campers, little kids, and how that the game is noob friendly to get them points with nukes and chopper gunner for doing nothing.

    Also you should play CoD 1, that's how a proper CoD should be, no health regeneration, the enemies were actually hard and hell they even used lean. Just because millions of people had fun with a game doesn't mean it is good.
    Last edited by Bobsynergy; 08-21-2010 at 01:18 AM.

  34. #2034
    Quote Originally Posted by Mintz95 View Post
    I'm not gonna lie, I loved Modern Warfare 2 when it first came out. It was a really FUN game with GOOD GRAPHICS. It was simple and to the point. I don't understand why people get so upset when a game they don't like is enjoyed by millions of other people who disagree with them.

    EDIT: You think COD is hardcore? Play Counter Strike
    You think counter strike is hardcore? play battlefield bad company 2.

  35. #2035
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    330
    Quote Originally Posted by Mintz95 View Post
    I'm not gonna lie, I loved Modern Warfare 2 when it first came out. It was a really FUN game with GOOD GRAPHICS. It was simple and to the point. I don't understand why people get so upset when a game they don't like is enjoyed by millions of other people who disagree with them.

    EDIT: You think COD is hardcore? Play Counter Strike
    Meh CS sucks.

  36. #2036
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Argentina,Chubut
    Posts
    153
    Quote Originally Posted by Mintz95 View Post
    I'm not gonna lie, I loved Modern Warfare 2 when it first came out. It was a really FUN game with GOOD GRAPHICS. It was simple and to the point. I don't understand why people get so upset when a game they don't like is enjoyed by millions of other people who disagree with them.

    EDIT: You think COD is hardcore? Play Counter Strike

    Me too,I love it.But it was sooo short
    But you can play it in multiplayer,that makes it a little larger.
    I like GTA 4 too,but not so much for a 9/10.
    Another great games are Metal Gear,all of them,the 2 was the worst for me,but it was good.

    What do you think guys?

  37. #2037
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    647
    uhh guys, this is a review thread for Mafia II

  38. #2038
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    794
    Quote Originally Posted by ClashNL View Post
    uhh guys, this is a review thread for Mafia II
    shhhh we are slowly de-railing it.

  39. #2039
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    10
    To be honest, I'm basing my decision on whether to get this game or not and do not currently own a current generation console. So technically, in a way, the reviews are especially important and ultimately decide the outcome for myself. I had been contemplating which games I should purchase and a great introductory experience to the latest generation of gaming would be Mafia II, should the game turn out to be a fairly prominent and pleasant experience for all those universally. Although I have played Grand Theft Auto titles before, I wasn't extremely impressed with GTA IV after looking at various game-play footage, and many today claim that this is the best open-world game one can indulge in, yet something there was missing and hadn't impressed me enough to have it lying on my bookshelf with a couple other games seeming to appease. Perhaps Mafia II can live up to the high expectations and prove to be a better gaming experience as a free world environment then its mildly successful rival.

  40. #2040
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    794
    Quote Originally Posted by wisemaster View Post
    To be honest, I'm basing my decision on whether to get this game or not and do not currently own a current generation console. So technically, in a way, the reviews are especially important and ultimately decide the outcome for myself. I had been contemplating which games I should purchase and a great introductory experience to the latest generation of gaming would be Mafia II, should the game turn out to be a fairly prominent and pleasant experience for all those universally. Although I have played Grand Theft Auto titles before, I wasn't extremely impressed with GTA IV after looking at various game-play footage, and many today claim that this is the best open-world game one can indulge in, yet something there was missing and hadn't impressed me enough to have it lying on my bookshelf with a couple other games seeming to appease. Perhaps Mafia II can live up to the high expectations and prove to be a better gaming experience as a free world environment then its mildly successful rival.
    If you don't have a console then why don't you get it for PC instead?

Page 51 of 68 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •