Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819

Thread: System Requirements FAQ

It shouldn't make a difference unless the other stuff running on the machine takes up 4GB or more. It's a 32-bit binary, so it can't use more than 4GB on its own.

The simple answer is that Civ 5 is a 32-bit application, and as such it cannot use more than 4Gb of RAM.

The more complex answer is that it will actually have available rather less than 4Gb because of system use of RAM and that it depends on the exact details of your system and how you use it. There are *very* rare situations in which more RAM could help, for example I often play Civ5 during the day, while working at home, I have 16Gb of RAM but also run several (up to 4) virtual machines for my work that use up to 10Gb of that memory. Clearly the extra memory above 8Gb is necessary for me.

However, unless you fit into one of these edge cases adding extra RAM above 8Gb to a system is unlikely to help Civ5 in any way.

Edit: Ugh...didn't look at the next page...sorry Sam.

Plus, of course, more than 4GB system RAM is of no use whatsoever if your OS is 32-bit.

Thanks for your clarifications; I do have a 64 bit OS but forgot about the limits on 32 bit apps like Civ V. I'll keep saving for a faster GPU card and processor upgrade in the future. Any recommendations along those lines? BTW I want to stick with Nvidia and Intel.
    Last edited by gunnergoz; 07-01-2013 at 03:09 PM.

I really want to play Civilization 5 but am unsure if i can run it and want to make sure I know before i dish out the 70 dollars to pick up this game plus its expansions. I can run both Star Wars the Old Republic and DCUO on high a good frame rates (really really smooth but unsure of the specifics number wise) but cannot run Guild Wars 2 at all at a playable frame rate usually maxing at 21. Here are my specs please let me know when you can. Wouldn't let me post this in the support forum. Can I run this smoothy on high to medium?
    System Information
    ------------------
    Time of this report: 7/10/2013, 10:56:29
    Machine name: BRANDON-PC
    Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_gdr.120503-2030)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
    System Model: HP xw4400 Workstation
    BIOS: Default System BIOS
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6400 @ 2.13GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.1GHz
    Memory: 4096MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 4096MB RAM
    Page File: 1665MB used, 6523MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\Windows
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
    System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
    DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
    DxDiag Version: 6.01.7600.16385 32bit Unicode

------------
    DxDiag Notes
    ------------
    Display Tab 1: No problems found.
    Sound Tab 1: No problems found.
    Input Tab: No problems found.

--------------------
    DirectX Debug Levels
    --------------------
    Direct3D: 0/4 (retail)
    DirectDraw: 0/4 (retail)
    DirectInput: 0/5 (retail)
    DirectMusic: 0/5 (retail)
    DirectPlay: 0/9 (retail)
    DirectSound: 0/5 (retail)
    DirectShow: 0/6 (retail)

---------------
    Display Devices
    ---------------
    Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti
    Manufacturer: NVIDIA
    Chip type: GeForce GTX 550 Ti
    DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
    Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1244&SUBSYS_089C10DE&REV_A1
    Display Memory: 2769 MB
    Dedicated Memory: 977 MB
    Shared Memory: 1791 MB
    Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)
    Monitor Name: AOC 2243W
    Monitor Model: 2243W
    Monitor Id: AOC2243
    Native Mode: 1920 x 1080(p) (60.000Hz)
    Output Type: HD15
    Driver Name: nvd3dumx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvd3dum,n vwgf2um,nvwgf2um

If quality is set fairly low, you'll run dead smooth. You'll be able to get higher than that, so try scaling up until you hit the lowest framerate you can live with.

However, you're not going to get any official answer from 2K/Firaxis claiming you can definitely run it. AFAICT, you're over the stated minimums. Everything else I've said is based on my experience running it on a GTS450 and a GTX650Ti, though both had better CPUs than yours. CPU will mostly affect turn time, not graphics.

Quote Originally Posted by SamBC View Post
    If quality is set fairly low, you'll run dead smooth. You'll be able to get higher than that, so try scaling up until you hit the lowest framerate you can live with.

However, you're not going to get any official answer from 2K/Firaxis claiming you can definitely run it. AFAICT, you're over the stated minimums. Everything else I've said is based on my experience running it on a GTS450 and a GTX650Ti, though both had better CPUs than yours. CPU will mostly affect turn time, not graphics.
    So would you say i'd be able to have an enjoyable play experience? I've delt with some pretty bad lag before. Not sure how that would affect a game like this though. Also, late game what would my average turn time and fps be if you could guess? Just trying to see if its really worth investing in money wise if im going to have to be on low. Doing as much research as I can.
    Last edited by Draigan94; 07-10-2013 at 11:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Draigan94 View Post
    So would you say i'd be able to have an enjoyable play experience? I've delt with some pretty bad lag before. Not sure how that would affect a game like this though. Also, late game what would my average turn time and fps be if you could guess? Just trying to see if its really worth investing in money wise if im going to have to be on low. Doing as much research as I can.
    Well, I'm the wrong person to ask about FPS, I'm not picky. Your turn times may be into 10-20 seconds late game, depending on map size.

Well, I'm the wrong person to ask about FPS, I'm not picky. Your turn times may be into 10-20 seconds late game, depending on map size.
    Alright lol. Well I wanted to get the gold edition of the game to get the first expansion and then get the one that just came out. Would you say just try out the gold edition and then get brave new world. I was going to get both but I kinda want to make sure the game runs and be sure I'll have an enjoyable experience. Never played a Civs game before but it looks really fun and I heard the expansions really brought out features that people claimed were missing at launch. I really want to like it

Turn times can be kept down by playing smaller maps. Getting just Gold first is a good way to reduce the risk of not liking it, certainly, as it's lest money down the tubes if you don't like it.

That said, rumour is the Steam Summer Sale starts tomorrow, might be worth waiting.

alright then :P

Turn times can be kept down by playing smaller maps. Getting just Gold first is a good way to reduce the risk of not liking it, certainly, as it's lest money down the tubes if you don't like it.

That said, rumour is the Steam Summer Sale starts tomorrow, might be worth waiting.
    Could you give me any idea how bad lag may be towards late game on my computer? Would it still be playable in your opinion? I've heard it can be pretty taxing even on high end gaming computers. Or is this a there is no real answer type of situation. Just want to ensure I have fun playing. Not trying to be annoying Im just conflicted.

Quote Originally Posted by Draigan94 View Post
    Could you give me any idea how bad lag may be towards late game on my computer? Would it still be playable in your opinion? I've heard it can be pretty taxing even on high end gaming computers. Or is this a there is no real answer type of situation. Just want to ensure I have fun playing. Not trying to be annoying Im just conflicted.
    What sort of lag do you mean? I wouldn't expect much if any UI lag, but there will be longer turn times. It depends on what else your computer is doing at the time as well as on map size.

Also, you will need SP1 for your Win7 installation... And also updating your graphics driver.
    In my experience FPS doesn't really matter for Civ as it hasn't fast paced action. But with that CPU you will definitely have some longer turn times late game.

Best way to test is still downloading the demo and trying that.

Quote Originally Posted by donald23 View Post
    Also, you will need SP1 for your Win7 installation... And also updating your graphics driver.
    In my experience FPS doesn't really matter for Civ as it hasn't fast paced action. But with that CPU you will definitely have some longer turn times late game.

Best way to test is still downloading the demo and trying that.
    I got the demo and played it till about turn 120 till I had to get off. I gotta say it seemed to run very well. Was on all high and there was no hiccup in frames at all and my turn time wasnt too bad. I already ordered the game but unless late game is really intensive I dont think it will hurt me too bad. Any opinion on how my graphics card and cpu will hold up? I wanted to upgrade to a quad core but unfortunately they are incompatable with my computer, apperently there is a specific one I need that is like 1200 and that just aint worth it and I was able to upgrade the graphics to what it is now. I ran DCUO and SWTOR on here on high and those 2 seem to require more than this game(I may be wrong idk really). I plan on testing it when I first get it by playing on the Earth map with maybe up to 4 civs just to see what my computer can do. Looking for a different opinion but do you think I will be able to have enjoyable play for my settings since I really am unsure. what is SP1 btw (can i get a link if thats an update)?

Ok... i just bought a new CPU with the intention to avoid all the trouble that's been raised... Here's the following:

Brand: HP
    S5-1578
    Intel Core i5-3470 (3.2GHz)
    8GB memory
    6MB cache
    GeForce GT630 graphic card

It will arrive on Thursday, so it should be enough to play the game smoothly well into the modern era right? By the way, I like playing full continent with as many players as possible.

The graphics card won't handle the best details at speed, certainly - while it's a current generation, it's a non-game-oriented model. Otherwise, yeah, it should play okay, depending on how tolerant of turn times you are.

The graphics card won't handle the best details at speed, certainly - while it's a current generation, it's a non-game-oriented model. Otherwise, yeah, it should play okay, depending on how tolerant of turn times you are.
    OH... my heart breaks a bit when you said "won't handle the best details at speed"... but comforted by the fact that I am a pretty tolerant person... As long as the turn time is reasonable and keeps going (so no freeze), then I am sure I won't smash my computer.

The laptop I'm contemplating buying has a 4th Gen Intel Core i7-4500U processor and Nvidea GT 745 graphics. It also has 8 GB Ddr3 memory. Will I be able to run Civ V and all the expansions at least reasonably well? I'm an avid fan of Civ Rev and can't wait to sink my teeth into the PC titles. Tha ks in advance for any words of wisdom.

Quote Originally Posted by Morridin View Post
    The laptop I'm contemplating buying has a 4th Gen Intel Core i7-4500U processor and Nvidea GT 745 graphics. It also has 8 GB Ddr3 memory. Will I be able to run Civ V and all the expansions at least reasonably well? I'm an avid fan of Civ Rev and can't wait to sink my teeth into the PC titles. Tha ks in advance for any words of wisdom.
    That should be sufficient for CiV. Do check the amount of videomemory though, anything above 1GB should make the game run nice, anything above 2GB will make it more smooth.

Thanks Donald, that's what I was hoping to hear. I'll have 2 GB dedicated to video so it sounds like I'll be in good shape. I'm going to pick up my new machine tomorrow and I expect I'll pick up the Gold Edition at the same time.

Be sure to update the various drivers after you unpack it And have fun with the new machine!

Quote Originally Posted by Morridin View Post
    Thanks Donald, that's what I was hoping to hear. I'll have 2 GB dedicated to video so it sounds like I'll be in good shape. I'm going to pick up my new machine tomorrow and I expect I'll pick up the Gold Edition at the same time.
    Everything CivV is on big sale on Steam right now - but only for 20 hours (as I type this).

Haha... I can't wait to get it home, my current cpu is only slightly better than an abacus at this point and it's taken a beating over the years. I appreciate the heads up Sam, we'll see if I can make it in by the deadline. I don't have a Steam account yet but that's one of the things I'm looking forward to aboit having a decent machine. Thanks again for the advice, with a little luck the next time I post in this forum it will be about actually playing the game

I have a combination between the minimum and required specs how can I optimize my gameplay or will the game automatically do this for me?

The game will not do that automatically.

What I usually do, is estimate where on the scale between minimum and recommended I am. If it's at say 60%, I try to set all settings to about 60% as well. If that works good, I start tweaking setting by setting upwards until I've found the sweet spot. Same for when it doesn't run well, I go tweaking downwards setting by setting.
    “If you are involved in a game, everything ends up being a set of trade-offs. Anything in a game is a sacrifice of things not in the game.” --Gabe Newell

Playing Firaxis games and helping out in the Official 2K Forums!
    My Blog: donald23.nl
    Steam profile: donald23

r7 250 1gb ddr 5 | i5 4670 | 2gb ram | sdd drive plays fine
    “The ultimate goal of farming is not the growing of crops, but the cultivation and perfection of human beings.” - fv2info

Quote Originally Posted by gunnergoz View Post
    Thanks for your clarifications; I do have a 64 bit OS but forgot about the limits on 32 bit apps like Civ V. I'll keep saving for a faster GPU card and processor upgrade in the future. Any recommendations along those lines? BTW I want to stick with Nvidia and Intel.

Well, RAM above 4GB can still help in other ways. File system caching is one.

In another game which is rather file system intensive, I have created a ram disk and the required symlinks from the game folders and run the game entirely out of ram.

Of course, it helps that my desktop has 48GB.

It never made sense to me that this game (and others too) were released only with 32bit executables.

I mean, at the time of launch no company had even sold a 32bit x86 CPU for many years, and the minimum spec CPU's are all 64bit...

It's time we bury 32bit binaries permanently.

Also, another thing that bothers me is that despite my Titan having 6GB of vram it never uses more than 2GB, and on huge maps it is really annoying when tiles one by one turn from Grey to textured as the game swaps them in from system RAM, when it ought to have fit entirely in the VRAM all along...

Anyway, the reason I came over here was that I already posted a question in the support forum before realizing it was in the wrong place...

I'm planning on introducing Civ5 to my fiance, and possibly trying out some collaborative play.

I've always been a PC guy, but she has an iMac, and I'm not sure what to expect performance wise out of it.

Specs:
    • Late 2013 27" iMac
    • NVIDIA GeForce GT 755M 1GB GDDR5
    • 3.2GHz Quad-core Intel Core i5, Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz
    • 16GB RAM
    • 256GB SSD

I can't find many reviews out there of the Geforce 755M. (Was it an Apple Specific part?) so I'm not sure what to expect from it.

On my PC I play the game on my 30" 2560x1600 screen with everything maxed, but I have a Geforce GTX Titan.

The GT 755M is definitely above the minimum specs for the game, but I wonder if playing at the screens natural resolution (2560x1440) will be a problem. Games tend to look like crap when you play at scaled resolutions.

Does anyone have one of these iMacs? What kind of performance have you gotten out of it? Do you have to turn all the settings down to minimum for it to be playable?

Much obliged,
    Matt

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819