Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 120 of 749

Thread: System Requirements FAQ

  1. #81
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Mississauga, Canada
    Posts
    23
    Will my computer work for civ?
    (I am a tech noob sorry)

    my graphics card is a Intel(R) G45/G43 Express Chipset
    Windows 7
    4 bit operating syestem
    6.00 GB of RAM
    Intel(R) Core(TM) Quad CPU

    Sorry if I missed any info I dont know what I need to post

  2. #82
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    "Fake" Virginia, USA
    Posts
    2,482
    Quote Originally Posted by Rygel View Post
    Will my computer work for civ?
    (I am a tech noob sorry)

    my graphics card is a Intel(R) G45/G43 Express Chipset
    Windows 7
    4 bit operating syestem
    6.00 GB of RAM
    Intel(R) Core(TM) Quad CPU
    Your CPU and RAM are both good (assumption: That's a Core2 Quad). I'll also assume that you're running a 64 bit version of Windows 7. That's all good, too.

    The problem, however, is your graphics card. The G45 is quite a bit lower than the recommended. It's really only intended for business use (web browsing, word processing, flash applications) and is severely lacking in 3D abilities. From what I've seen the game will "run", that is: the application will execute and draw pictures on your display.

    I don't think you'll actually be able to play the game in any suitable manner.

    I don't enjoy being the bearer of such news, and it's important to know that this is just my opinion and my word holds no official support. But I do build computers for myself and others and that graphics card is simply not up to the task of running Civ5.

    Upgrades are possible, but you'll want to take care with them. If your laptop was not designed for anything more than a G45, it might have problems keeping a modern graphics card cool. If you really want to play Civ5, I'd really advise you seek the help of professionals. They can give you a list of options for your laptop.

  3. #83
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    6
    My system exceeds minimum requirements, but I'm not sure about the graphics card. Its a GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 (I must admit that I have no idea what this means). I didn't see it listed in the original rundown of cards. Can you tell me if this is this good enough or if I should replace it? Thanks for your help!

  4. #84
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Mississauga, Canada
    Posts
    23
    thank you for helping me though better to know now then later

  5. #85
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    "Fake" Virginia, USA
    Posts
    2,482
    Quote Originally Posted by dct2877 View Post
    My system exceeds minimum requirements, but I'm not sure about the graphics card. Its a GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 (I must admit that I have no idea what this means). I didn't see it listed in the original rundown of cards. Can you tell me if this is this good enough or if I should replace it? Thanks for your help!
    The 6150SE is drastically below the minimum requirements. It is a sixth-generation (denoted by 6xxx) entry-level (denoted by x1xx) mobile card (denoted by xx50). The "SE" denotes the fact that this is an updated version of the 6150 which uses less power and has marginally better performance. None of the the nVidia "entry-level" cards meet the minimum requirements, but this card fails in that respect as well as being at least one generation older than the minimum.

    To quantify:

    The 7900GS (minimum) has a textel fill rate (number of texture-pixels drawn per second) of 9 billion texture-pixels per second. The recommended card has a fill rate of 30.8 billion texture-pixels per second. The 6150SE has a pixel fill rate of 0.85 billion pixels per second.

    The 6150SE simply isn't up to the task. It was a nice mobile card for its time, but it was never intended for games.

  6. #86
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    695
    Here is my rule of thumb, for those who are less techy than I am.

    Pretty much any computer that's not a netbook bought in the last 2-3 years will have sufficient CPU and RAM to meet at least the minimum, but likely closer to the recommended specs for Civ 5. (though there are exceptions)

    As far as graphics go, unless you specifically shopped/asked for a computer with a graphics card capable of playing games (laptops and desktops) or added a dedicated 3d graphics card later (desktops) the best you are likely going to do is marginally meeting the minimum requirements, but if you're not that lucky, you may not. Either way, at the lower end of the hardware requirements Civ 5 is likely not going to be a great experience.

  7. #87
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    3,274
    Quote Originally Posted by mattlach View Post
    Here is my rule of thumb, for those who are less techy than I am.

    Pretty much any computer that's not a netbook bought in the last 2-3 years will have sufficient CPU and RAM to meet at least the minimum, but likely closer to the recommended specs for Civ 5. (though there are exceptions)

    As far as graphics go, unless you specifically shopped/asked for a computer with a graphics card capable of playing games (laptops and desktops) or added a dedicated 3d graphics card later (desktops) the best you are likely going to do is marginally meeting the minimum requirements, but if you're not that lucky, you may not. Either way, at the lower end of the hardware requirements Civ 5 is likely not going to be a great experience.
    This is true in many cases, but not all.

    My laptop was never bought to handle games such as Civ5, and yet it can handle it almost at recommended (the GPU lets me down). btw, it was bought this year in April (I hadn't heard of Civ5 being released yet)

  8. #88
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    "Fake" Virginia, USA
    Posts
    2,482
    Quote Originally Posted by mattlach View Post
    Here is my rule of thumb, for those who are less techy than I am.

    Pretty much any computer that's not a netbook bought in the last 2-3 years will have sufficient CPU and RAM to meet at least the minimum...
    I'm going to assume you mean "notebook" not "netbook".

    There are plenty of notebooks being sold right now that don't meet the minimum requirements. Remember, only the Intel i3/i5 (and we'll assume the i7s) have (standard) integrated graphics chips that meet the minimum requirements (and only the minimum). AMD processors, which make up a large part of the market, do not have equivalent integrated graphics.

    So, if you bought a notebook computer at it isn't an Intel Core i3/i5 or wasn't specified as a notebook intended for gaming, you're probably below the minimums even if you bought it last week.

  9. #89
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    695
    Quote Originally Posted by slowtarget View Post
    I'm going to assume you mean "notebook" not "netbook".

    There are plenty of notebooks being sold right now that don't meet the minimum requirements. Remember, only the Intel i3/i5 (and we'll assume the i7s) have (standard) integrated graphics chips that meet the minimum requirements (and only the minimum). AMD processors, which make up a large part of the market, do not have equivalent integrated graphics.

    So, if you bought a notebook computer at it isn't an Intel Core i3/i5 or wasn't specified as a notebook intended for gaming, you're probably below the minimums even if you bought it last week.
    Thats what i said, almost all of them (including notebooks, excluding netbooks) meet the CPU and RAM requirements. it's the graphics that are lacking.
    Last edited by mattlach; 09-07-2010 at 09:13 PM.

  10. #90
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    695
    Quote Originally Posted by slowtarget View Post
    I'm going to assume you mean "notebook" not "netbook".

    There are plenty of notebooks being sold right now that don't meet the minimum requirements. Remember, only the Intel i3/i5 (and we'll assume the i7s) have (standard) integrated graphics chips that meet the minimum requirements (and only the minimum). AMD processors, which make up a large part of the market, do not have equivalent integrated graphics.

    So, if you bought a notebook computer at it isn't an Intel Core i3/i5 or wasn't specified as a notebook intended for gaming, you're probably below the minimums even if you bought it last week.

    And I'm fairly certain mobile i7's don't have on die GPU's like the mobile i3's and i5's do.

  11. #91
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    14
    Can anyone comment on my laptop to see if it could play Civ V, I think the graphics card might be the part that struggles, cheers:

    Windows 7 (64 bit)
    Intel i5-520M(2.4GHz) Mobile CPU
    4GB 1067MHz DDR3 Dual Channel Memory
    1 GB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650

  12. #92
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    "Fake" Virginia, USA
    Posts
    2,482
    Quote Originally Posted by mattlach View Post
    Thats what i said, almost all of them (including notebooks, excluding netbooks) meet the CPU and RAM requirements. it's the graphics that are lacking.
    No, no. You're not listening. It's not the CPU or RAM that they'll have problems with. Its the graphics that are going to put them below the minimum.

    (Clarity: It's a joke. I fail at reading comprehension)
    Last edited by slowtarget; 09-07-2010 at 11:32 PM.

  13. #93
    Quote Originally Posted by Harvey107 View Post
    Can anyone comment on my laptop to see if it could play Civ V, I think the graphics card might be the part that struggles, cheers:

    Windows 7 (64 bit)
    Intel i5-520M(2.4GHz) Mobile CPU
    4GB 1067MHz DDR3 Dual Channel Memory
    1 GB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650
    Your setup is fine and will be able to run Civ 5 without trouble. You won't have all graphics quality maxxed, but overall you are good. You can pick and choose the graphics settings that are most important to you and balance out performance.

  14. #94
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by Luger View Post
    Your setup is fine and will be able to run Civ 5 without trouble. You won't have all graphics quality maxxed, but overall you are good. You can pick and choose the graphics settings that are most important to you and balance out performance.
    Thanks for the feedback, suppose the only way to know is getting the game and trying it, not to worried about having graphics set to max just want it to run smoothly. Thanks

  15. #95
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    695
    Quote Originally Posted by Harvey107 View Post
    Can anyone comment on my laptop to see if it could play Civ V, I think the graphics card might be the part that struggles, cheers:

    Windows 7 (64 bit)
    Intel i5-520M(2.4GHz) Mobile CPU
    4GB 1067MHz DDR3 Dual Channel Memory
    1 GB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650
    This is an interesting one. Your CPU (the core i5-520m) has integated "Intel HD" graphics on die, but your laptop maker decided not to use it, and instead integrated a mobile Radeon 5650.

    The Mobility Radeon 5650 should be somewhere just below recommended specs, but well above minimum specs.

    The integrated core i5 graphics (which you may or may mot be able to access) meets the minimum specs, but not much more.

    CPU and RAM are above recommended.

  16. #96
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by mattlach View Post
    This is an interesting one. Your CPU (the core i5-520m) has integated "Intel HD" graphics on die, but your laptop maker decided not to use it, and instead integrated a mobile Radeon 5650.

    The Mobility Radeon 5650 should be somewhere just below recommended specs, but well above minimum specs.

    The integrated core i5 graphics (which you may or may mot be able to access) meets the minimum specs, but not much more.

    CPU and RAM are above recommended.
    Hi, thanks, I dont know if i'm able to access the intergrated graphics will have to look, but I've played Empire Total War pretty well on my laptop so I'm hoping it will cope.

  17. #97
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    695
    Quote Originally Posted by Harvey107 View Post
    Hi, thanks, I dont know if i'm able to access the intergrated graphics will have to look, but I've played Empire Total War pretty well on my laptop so I'm hoping it will cope.
    I just mentioned that as a side note. You would definitely want to use the Radeon 5650 instead of the Core i5 graphics.

  18. #98
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by slowtarget View Post
    The 6150SE is drastically below the minimum requirements. It is a sixth-generation (denoted by 6xxx) entry-level (denoted by x1xx) mobile card (denoted by xx50). The "SE" denotes the fact that this is an updated version of the 6150 which uses less power and has marginally better performance. None of the the nVidia "entry-level" cards meet the minimum requirements, but this card fails in that respect as well as being at least one generation older than the minimum.

    To quantify:

    The 7900GS (minimum) has a textel fill rate (number of texture-pixels drawn per second) of 9 billion texture-pixels per second. The recommended card has a fill rate of 30.8 billion texture-pixels per second. The 6150SE has a pixel fill rate of 0.85 billion pixels per second.

    The 6150SE simply isn't up to the task. It was a nice mobile card for its time, but it was never intended for games.
    This is the outcome that I expected, but I didn't realize it was that bad! Thanks so much for the clarification, guess I'll be buying a new card!

  19. #99
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    695
    Quote Originally Posted by dct2877 View Post
    This is the outcome that I expected, but I didn't realize it was that bad! Thanks so much for the clarification, guess I'll be buying a new card!
    What are the rest of the specs of your machine? Maybe we can help recommend you something?

    --Matt

  20. #100

    Stuck on whether to buy...

    What do you guys think of this system, I'm on the border of whether to buy this when it comes out...

    Alienware Area-51 3200 R2. (From 2005, Upgraded quite a bit)

    -4GB Ram
    -Radeon 4670 with 512mb Ram
    -Intel Pentium 4 3.2ghz Dual Core
    -Plenty of HDD space.

    Will my Pentium cut it? I can play for example Fallout 3 and Crysis maxed out, but this processor thing looks like it could be a problem.

  21. #101
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    4
    I wanted to thank you guys (mattlach and slowtarget) for your help. We've ordered windows 7, a 450 watt power supply and the 5750 radeon.

    You guys rock!

  22. #102
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    5
    Hey guys, I've been waiting for Civ V for a long time now and as the requirements came around I realized that my laptop didn't have the graphics card that was needed to run it. I was going to buy a computer from my friend and just throw a new graphics card and processor in it and spend less money, but now I see people talking about building a desktop for a couple hundred bucks that could run Civ V and to be honest I'm just wondering - how?

    Haha I know only the basics and I would have no idea where to start when it came time to get what I need to build it or if a graphics card could go with could go with other internals and what not.

    I'm thinking I can spend four to five hundred, and I already have the monior and all that so I can focus solely on the internals.

  23. #103
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    695
    Quote Originally Posted by ARomeo View Post
    Hey guys, I've been waiting for Civ V for a long time now and as the requirements came around I realized that my laptop didn't have the graphics card that was needed to run it. I was going to buy a computer from my friend and just throw a new graphics card and processor in it and spend less money, but now I see people talking about building a desktop for a couple hundred bucks that could run Civ V and to be honest I'm just wondering - how?

    Haha I know only the basics and I would have no idea where to start when it came time to get what I need to build it or if a graphics card could go with could go with other internals and what not.

    I'm thinking I can spend four to five hundred, and I already have the monior and all that so I can focus solely on the internals.
    If you already have the monitor, windows key, keyboard and mouse ~ $500 is certainly doable.

    What help are you looking for? Sugggestions for what parts to buy, or instructions on how to put them together? I can probably help with either.
    Last edited by mattlach; 09-08-2010 at 10:47 AM.

  24. #104
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    "Fake" Virginia, USA
    Posts
    2,482
    Quote Originally Posted by mattlach View Post
    What help are you looking for? Sugggestions for what parts to buy, or instructions on how to put them together? I can probably help with either.
    As can I.

    One would like to think that between the two of us (and anyone else who wants to join in) we could come up with a pretty decent budget build that might be useful to a number of people.

  25. #105
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    5
    Definitely what to buy. Putting it together isn't something I want to worry about until I know that actually doing that is possible. Pretty simply, I'd want to atleast be able to run the game at the minimum but of course if I could budget out a better machine then great.

    I think what I'd look for the most is a machine with decent graphics, but the most important would be a machine that runs the game with a consistant smoothness to it. Any help from anyone would be great.

  26. #106
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Free State Bavaria
    Posts
    2,306
    Quote Originally Posted by slowtarget View Post
    As can I.

    One would like to think that between the two of us (and anyone else who wants to join in) we could come up with a pretty decent budget build that might be useful to a number of people.
    Please, don't let anybody hold you back.
    How about a build that I could attach to my FullHD TV; mouse and keyboard already there; running the game at least recommended, and that for less than $500 or €400. Maybe I'll go that way if my Mac doesn't cut it.
    Go!

  27. #107
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    3,274
    Quote Originally Posted by tfordp View Post
    Please, don't let anybody hold you back.
    How about a build that I could attach to my FullHD TV; mouse and keyboard already there; running the game at least recommended, and that for less than $500 or €400. Maybe I'll go that way if my Mac doesn't cut it.
    Go!
    If the TV's more then 30inches then you'd need a pretty powerful processor to keep the graphics looking clear (correct me if I'm wrong)

  28. #108
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    "Fake" Virginia, USA
    Posts
    2,482
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Gate of Mordor View Post
    If the TV's more then 30inches then you'd need a pretty powerful processor to keep the graphics looking clear (correct me if I'm wrong)
    Well, I won't say that you're wrong, just that you're thinking about it the wrong way. Video cards don't care about how big a display is (the display, after all, gets its own power), but how many pixels the display supports. If you're displaying a video game on an HD TV, the resolution doesn't need to go higher than 1920x1080 (1080p). Thats only marginally higher than the "low" resolution LCD widescreen monitors like mine: 1680x1050. A graphics card won't know or care whether its driving a 21" monitor or a 30" TV or a 60" LCD HD projector.

  29. #109
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    695
    Quote Originally Posted by ARomeo View Post
    Definitely what to buy. Putting it together isn't something I want to worry about until I know that actually doing that is possible. Pretty simply, I'd want to atleast be able to run the game at the minimum but of course if I could budget out a better machine then great.

    I think what I'd look for the most is a machine with decent graphics, but the most important would be a machine that runs the game with a consistant smoothness to it. Any help from anyone would be great.
    Ask and you shall receive.

    I was going to post it here, but then it turned into a significant write-up, and I thought it might be better off in its own thread.

    Slowtarget, Civ_King, please feel free to add your own comments or opinions to the mix.

  30. #110
    yeah just wondering how well you think it would run on my system?

    AMD Athlon x2 @2.4ghz
    BFG Geforce 9800gt with 1gb of DDR3 RAM
    3.5gb of DDR2 ram

    and i am wanting to play it in 1080p res (i have a 25" monitor so low res looks bad), and i can play civ4 bts maxed at 1080p with max AA and all.
    Last edited by shermantanker; 09-09-2010 at 01:20 AM.

  31. #111
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    695
    Quote Originally Posted by shermantanker View Post
    yeah just wondering how well you think it would run on my system?

    AMD Athlon x2 @2.4ghz
    BFG Geforce 9800gt with 1gb of DDR3 RAM
    3.5gb of DDR2 ram

    and i am wanting to play it in 1080p res (i have a 25" monitor so low res looks bad), and i can play civ4 bts maxed at 1080p with max AA and all.
    I don't think we can comment on resolutions and specifics about AA yet. That will have to wait until the demo comes out.

    That being said, your CPU, RAM and the 9800 GT should be plenty fast to run the game. You just won't get the fancy cloud and water effects that come with having DX11enabled.

  32. #112
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    "Fake" Virginia, USA
    Posts
    2,482
    Quote Originally Posted by mattlach View Post
    That being said, your CPU, RAM and the 9800 GT should be plenty fast to run the game. You just won't get the fancy cloud and water effects that come with having DX11enabled.
    If I understand correctly, anyone with Vista SP2 can have DX11 installed and get the fancy effects, their video card will just take a much larger performance hit for doing so if it doesn't support DX11 natively.

  33. #113
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    695
    Quote Originally Posted by slowtarget View Post
    If I understand correctly, anyone with Vista SP2 can have DX11 installed and get the fancy effects, their video card will just take a much larger performance hit for doing so if it doesn't support DX11 natively.
    Interesting. So it emulates the DX11 capabilities in Software? I didn't realize that. This is good to know.

    I could have sworn the DX11 option was greyed out on Metro 2033 when I tried to run it on a DX10.1 card. Maybe this was a choice on the part of the game developers, and not something imposed by the DX11 standard.

  34. #114
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Lancaster, UK
    Posts
    13,526
    Quote Originally Posted by slowtarget View Post
    If I understand correctly, anyone with Vista SP2 can have DX11 installed and get the fancy effects, their video card will just take a much larger performance hit for doing so if it doesn't support DX11 natively.
    Also, I gather from tech notes that the benefits of multiple cores in DX11 are present whatever your graphics card, it's only getting the new effects efficiently that requires a DX11 card. However, I had to infer some stuff to get that, so it could be wrong. Personally, I'm reckoning it's true unless I can find something authoritative saying categorically that it's not.

  35. #115
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Im Here *waves*
    Posts
    63
    Hey team,

    Not wishing to hijack the thread, so fell free to tell me to F Off and create my own :P, But I was wondering if yall could help me - and this seemed like a kinda smart place to post this.

    *on a side note* Perhaps you guys should create (and sticky) a thread for people like me where we can utilise all the techsperts on the forum helping people out (unless there is and im a bit special...)

    Anywho, I currently have
    Intel Core2 Duo @ 2.6GHz
    2g Ram
    2x Geforce 9600 GT.

    Is that still decent? Or do I really need quad core?
    Would it be easier/cheaper to upgrade parts or the whole rig?

    Computers in America sound much cheaper then in ol NZ... Im wondering if it might be cheaper for me to import.. Hmm..

    Any help would be great!
    Thanks.
    Last edited by Kaiman; 09-09-2010 at 07:20 AM.

  36. #116
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    "Fake" Virginia, USA
    Posts
    2,482
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiman View Post
    Hey team,

    Not wishing to hijack the thread, so fell free to tell me to F Off and create my own :P, But I was wondering if yall could help me - and this seemed like a kinda smart place to post this.
    For those who might be confused:

    This was posted elsewhere and I moved it over here to get a little more attention.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiman View Post
    *on a side note* Perhaps you guys should create (and sticky) a thread for people like me where we can utilise all the techsperts on the forum helping people out (unless there is and im a bit special...)
    Heh... that sounds like a great idea.... I'll make one and call it.... Tim?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiman View Post
    Anywho, I currently have
    Intel Core2 Duo @ 2.6GHz
    2g Ram
    2x Geforce 9600 GT.
    Huh. That would be something like a E8300? That puts you above the minimum, but below the recommended in most respects. While it's just the opinion of some internet guy, I don't really see the difference between a low-end quad and a decent dual as being all that troubling for game play.

    So... the question comes down to your video card. Or cards, as it were. I don't think I've ever seen dueling 9600's before. I'll be completely honest and say that I really have no idea how those are going to perform. The 9600 by itself is a noticeable downgrade from the 9800 GT, but the SLI changes that.

    We really don't know just how much the game is going to tax a system, and my first guess is that the SLI is going to be able to cover the difference between the 9600 and 9800. Assuming there aren't issues with SLI and Civ5 (they don't still have issues with SLI do they?), I'd say you'd be fine the way you are right now.

    If you want to cover your bases, I'd say that before you look at a processor or video card, you should just add another 2GB of RAM. Memory goes a long way to speeding up a computer and can really stretch the life of a system.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiman View Post
    Computers in America sound much cheaper then in ol NZ... Im wondering if it might be cheaper for me to import..
    If you don't see the idea of building a new computer as prohibitive, then my advice would be to hold off until next Spring. Intel is going to be releasing the new Sandy Bridge processors by then and even if you don't want to shell out the cash for them, they'll drive down the prices of the i3/i5/i7's as well as AMD's upper range processors.

  37. #117
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    "Fake" Virginia, USA
    Posts
    2,482
    Quote Originally Posted by SamBC View Post
    Also, I gather from tech notes that the benefits of multiple cores in DX11 are present whatever your graphics card, it's only getting the new effects efficiently that requires a DX11 card. However, I had to infer some stuff to get that, so it could be wrong. Personally, I'm reckoning it's true unless I can find something authoritative saying categorically that it's not.
    I had the same idea. Nothing I read (going from hazy memory here) outright stated things one way or the other. They just talked about the effects needing DX11 and then commented that the DX11 cards were faster and had lower CPU load than DX10 cards. They never said if the DX11 specific abilities were covered in that or not.

  38. #118
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Im Here *waves*
    Posts
    63
    Quote Originally Posted by slowtarget View Post

    Heh... that sounds like a great idea.... I'll make one and call it.... Tim?
    Hmmm. Whoops.. HAHA!

    Thanks for the help though!

    What type or Ram do I need to add?
    Last edited by Kaiman; 09-09-2010 at 08:03 AM.

  39. #119
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    "Fake" Virginia, USA
    Posts
    2,482
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiman View Post
    Hmmm. Whoops.. HAHA!

    Thanks for the help though!

    What type or Ram do I need to add?
    The same type you already have?

    If I'm right and you have an Intel Core2 Duo E8200, then you're probably using the ever-so-popular 240-pin DDR2-800 DRAM that dominated that generation (I know: my CPU is from the same generation).

    You should be pretty safe just asking for that specification from an electronics store or ordering it from one of the reputable computer hardware sites (NewEgg, NCIX, even Amazon). You won't want the cheapest you can find, but you don't need the expensive stuff, either. Kingston usually does a good job of making affordable RAM that is reliable for desktop use.

    I'd say that this would work for you:

    Crucial DDR2-800 (CAS 5) 2 x 1GB = $43 with S&H.

    The good thing about modern motherboards and RAM is that they do a decent job of configuring themselves. You won't get the optimum performance, but an expert tweaking the things to their absolute best will probably only improve performance by 1-3%. And, if it doesn't work, returning RAM is usually really easy.

  40. #120
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Kaliningrad, Russian Federation
    Posts
    138
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiman View Post
    Hmmm. Whoops.. HAHA!

    Thanks for the help though!

    What type or Ram do I need to add?

    before you didnt bought anithing make sure that your old RAM is compatible with new one by freq spd and timings.

    And that your OS supports 4 gb of ram. Beware that 32 bit OS whatever is vista or 7 or XP are not supporting more than 3 gigs of RAM because of math limitations.

    my advice is to buy additional 1 gig of ram and nvidia 250 gtx. If you have 32bit OS. And 2 gigs of ram and 250 gtx if you have 64 bit OS. Dint worry about CPU the game should work fine. It`ll need bit more time to calculate AI turns i soppose, bot no fps falling.

    There is another option - you can buy 64 bit OS win 7 Prof (for upg in future) and 2 gigs of ram and 250 gtx.

    Also you can assemble new PC but it will cost more than 100-150 USD.

    Make your choice

    TIP:

    OS win 7 64 bit

    Home basic - 2 gb ram max
    Home premium - 4 gb ram max
    Prof - 8 gb ram max
    enterprise/ultimate - 21 gb ram max

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •